Malazan Empire: Podcasts - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcasts What are you listening to?

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

Don't know if it's due to a recent iOS update, or if it's always been like this but...the native Apple Podcasts App....is a horrific battery hog. Like we are talking I listened to a 20 minute episode, and in Usage on the phone it says 50% has gone to the App...while Music (which I arguably use MORE) is using about 5%.

WTF?

Anyways, going to switch to another podcast manager and see if it helps. This is madness.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

So I've been trying out StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson...and while it CAN be informative and showcases Tyson's breadth of science knoweldge...the format is strange: Neil interviews someone on his own. Then organizes a panel or people who listen/watch that interview, and they discuss it. Which is...convoluted. It feels like Talk Soup for science. I'd MUCH rather just hear the one on one interview...but that bring us to the second issue I have with it...Tyson is INTERRUPT MAN. Sweet jumped up jiggety jeebus, if deGrasse Tyson actually ALLOWED a guest to answer a question he's posed, they might get somewhere...but he literally can't stop interrupting them with his own thoughts. It's fucking IRRITATING. I reached my wits end when he interviewed Alan Rickman (and after calling Snape a "super creepy" character causing me to question if he's even sat down to WATCH the HP movies at all)...and you can literally tell that Rickman is not impressed by the interviewee asking questions and not allowing him to answer. By the 4th question you can tell he's largely checked out of the whole thing. And Tyson is asking him strange questions that attempt to tie an interview with an actor into science, and I'm like "Just stop man. Just stop."

So yeah, the show COULD be good...but the strange format, and the fact that Tyson could not interview a guest properly with his mouth sewn shut, utterly ruins it for me.

Oh, and the ads. FILLED with ads. For a show supported on Patreon (with 500+ patrons bringing in about $3400/month) by the schmoes who listen to it...the fact that a 45 minute-to-1hr podcast is inter-cut with about 5 ad breaks is a bit of a shitshow if I'm honest. But that may be even more irritating just due to the tiered format of the interview and panel.

I dunno. I love NDT's science knowledge...but this is a mess for me.

-------------------------------------

On the bright side of podcasting, after binging every ep of 99% INVISIBLE, I've delved into the rest of the Radiotopia shows and found that they are all as classy as 99pi! THE MEMORY PALACE, THE RADIO DIARIES, and CRIMINAL are quick faves so far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

Just discovered a podcast that some of you are likely already aware of. MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE. It's an Aussie podcast about the supernatural, futurism, paranormal, and just all around mysteries...GREAT production quality, the hosts are awesome because if something sounds sketchy or skeptical, they call it out (in a nice way). So it finds the line between the story and the truth as often as possible. Great fun. Great listen.

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

Started listening to SERIAL S1 two days ago, and I'm binging the hell out of it. On Ep8 already!

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

SERIAL S2, about Bowe Bergdahl. Wow, totally different from S1, but fascinating in a different way.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Listening to:

CBC's SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING. Two seasons of a true crime podcast, the first of which deals with a disappearance of a child in eastern Ontario in 1972 while fishing with his dad and siblings. Really well made.

MY FAVOURITE MURDER with Karen Kilgaraff and Georgia Hardstark. For something that deals with such sometimes "hard to hear" and dark aspects, the women do a great job of keeping the proceedings as light as they can as to not drag the listener into a moody and dank place. It's pretty fascinating, and often deals with subject matter I've never heard.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

That reminds me, my sister has a podcast with two of her friends called BRAVE GIRLS CLUB (not to be confused with the women's online community of the same name). They just started it this year, for fun, no sponsors or anything (but they are on Itunes et al). My sister is a My Favorite Murder junkie, and the podcast has some similarities to that, but it deals with all things in the spooky vein whether real or supernatural. It's pretty loosey goosey, but it beats listening to Aaron Mahnke stammer through a script for half an hour. Also if you have spooky stories of your own, you can send em in to be read/discussed during their mini-sodes. https://www.facebook...rlsclubpodcast/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

New season of SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING is out, and revisits host David Ridgen's 2004-2007 documentary about the brutal Mississippi cold case of the murders of Charles Moore and Henry Dee by members of the KKK. It's a fascinating look into 1960's era south and the klan especially as the terrorist organization it was/is...and how the murders of two innocent young black men were solved, but never prosecuted because of how thick the state was with either klan or racists.

Solid listening yet again by CBC's David Ridgen.

#29 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

The Onion's A Very Fatal Murder, a parody of the true crime genre, is just amazing.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#30 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

OK so a quick skim of this thread shows that no-one has mentioned THE BEEF AND DAIRY NETWORK podcast. It's a podcast for those involved with, or just interested in, the beef and dairy world. And it's hilarious. Only about 26 episodes or something at the moment but it's been consistently high quality.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

I've recently added NPR's Car Talk to my podcast subscriptions.

I've often heard people gush about the show but I've never bothered to check it out since I don't own a car or really care about cars at all. However I was looking for something different so I thought I'd check it out anyway.

It's really good! It's sort of a mix of a quiz show and a conversational detective show about diagnosing what ever is wrong with the callers car. Coupled with the good humoured nature of the hosts it makes for a very entertaining listen.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

Avoid Payne Lindsey's new one ATLANTA MONSTER (about the Atlanta child slayings)...as he's just basically giving voice to conspiracy theories, and inanities. It SEEMS like it would be interesting, but it's not.

On the flip side, over at Radiotopia, Phoebe Judge (who hosts and producers the CRIMINAL podcast), has a new one all about love stories called THIS IS LOVE, and it's quite wonderful....it's very similarly constructed to CRIMINAL....just not about crime. VERY good. Plus, I could listen to Phoebe all day...if she ever does a co-hosting podcast with Roman Mars, it would be the two best voices in podcasting together.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

So I want to talk/vent more in depth about Payne Lindsey’s podcast ATLANTA MONSTER (this is only my first listen to one of his podcasts….and apparently he already has a reputation I was unaware of for putting shit out there just because) which is about the Atlanta Child Murders in the early 80’s where something like 29 kids and teens were strangled by as serial killer.

Please note: This case will be what comprises season 2 of the Netflix show MINDHUNTER, because the two guys who started the Behavioural Science Unit in the FBI were involved.

Going into spoilers in case anyone wants to listen to ATLANTA MONSTER…though I’m going to recommend you don’t, because it’s conspiracy theory garbage. I listened to the whole season so you don’t have to.

Spoiler

#34 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

Alternative Goose, on 23 February 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

I've recently added NPR's Car Talk to my podcast subscriptions.

I've often heard people gush about the show but I've never bothered to check it out since I don't own a car or really care about cars at all. However I was looking for something different so I thought I'd check it out anyway.

It's really good! It's sort of a mix of a quiz show and a conversational detective show about diagnosing what ever is wrong with the callers car. Coupled with the good humoured nature of the hosts it makes for a very entertaining listen.

About NPR podcasts. You ever listen to Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me!? It's a lot of fun. It airs on the weekend mornings on the NPR programming schedule and is a quiz show of the past week's current events (with short interviews of the celebrity guests appearing on the podcast). Give it a go if you like to be quizzed on your knowledge of what just went down in the world the past week.

https://www.npr.org/...t-dont-tell-me/

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

A stellar, emotional, and amazingly produced podcast by CBC (who also make the incredible SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING) called MISSING & MURDERED: FINDING CLEO has ended its ten episode season, and it's probably the most heart breaking podcast I've ever listened to, and VERY informative.
As a Canadian, I've been remiss to not know about the Sixties Scoop and the Residential Schools that preceded it....and what a black mark the Canadian government has on it for basically making it so the Indigenous peoples of our country never even had a fucking chance.
I'm horribly ashamed that I've lived 40+ years in this country and NEVER knew the depth of depravity and assimilation attempts our country has been responsible for. We should be beyond ashamed. We should not be able to look away. This shit needs to be taught in Canadian history classes and social studies classes. It's THAT important.

The podcast is about just one family of split up kids amongst THOUSANDS...but it's poignant, and incredibly deftly done...and the CBC producer of it (and host) is a Cree nation woman herself, so it all feels well-earned, and unintrusive. I feel like you NEED the native culture POV here, as anyone not of the First Nations Canada could not have delved into this deeply and also understood the backdrop, connotations, and results of things like Residential schools, and the Sixties Scoop.

And after having listened, the below painting breaks my goddamn heart and utterly enrages me at the same time. If ANYONE came to try to take my kids from me in a misguided attempt to assimilate them...I can't imagine. I simply can't.

Attached File  Sixtiesscooppainting1.jpg (150.96K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

New CBC podcast about Keith Rainere & Allison Mack's sex cult NXIVM.

UNCOVER: ESCAPING NXIVM

It's insane, full of fucked up revelations, and shows how insidious cult leaders are.

#37 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:13 PM

QuickTidal, on 13 September 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

New CBC podcast about Keith Rainere & Allison Mack's sex cult NXIVM.

UNCOVER: ESCAPING NXIVM

It's insane, full of fucked up revelations, and shows how insidious cult leaders are.

SOLD.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#38 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

I finally found out about Critical Role and I've been catching up via their podcasts.

Voice Actors playing D&D, it's a lot of fun.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2018 - 01:02 PM

Finished up the last two eps of UNCOVER: ESCAPING NXIVM, and the penultimate episode is all from Keith's defense lawyer...and my gods....it's like hearing someone who has fallen for Keith's entire NXIVM bullshit. He literally spouts a bunch of NXIVM buzz phrases in defense of certain actions, and he even pulls the MRA card by claiming that we (society) don't get upset that football players brand themselves...so according to him it's sexist to say that when women brand themselves (which is how Keith positions that part of the cult) they are victims. My gods. That was the hardest 45 min to listen to in the whole series, simply because that lawyer (who also represented that asshole Pharma guy Martin Shkreli) is an insufferable asshole talking shit the whole damned time. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

Anyone been listening to Marvel's Wolverine: The long night?

I just started episode 3. It's fantastic. It does that clever story telling trick where it's not being told by Wolverine or following him directly. Rather it's being told around a pair of government agents tracking him and how the local citizens in the area have reacted to him.

It seems to revolve around a series of murders that Wolverine is being suspected of and a weird cult.

I don't believe this ties into the rest of the marvel universe. It seems to take place in a time after Wolverine escaped from the weapon X program. Sort of like the Hulk, he's on the run and just staying low and out of sight.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 02 October 2018 - 05:52 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users