• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcasts What are you listening to?

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm looking for a new podcast. What are you into? I'm looking primarily for something funny, but want to hear about anything good.
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

I have been doing some listening to The Ricky Gervais Podcast on my longer commutes. Its pretty funny. First season was free so you can check it out.
No Touchy.

#3 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Welcome to Nightvale

The Blood Bank Guy
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#4 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

I listen to a whole bunch, but I guess my two favourites are This American Life and Selected Shorts. Both are brilliant, though Selected Shorts has more of a humorous slant. If you like This American Life then Snap Judgement might be for you.

I've also listened to Revolutions, which is a new-ish podcast focusing on, well, you can guess I imagine.

But yeah, This American Life and Creative Shorts. Listen to them.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

Radiolab is really good. It's kinda like This American Life except it focuses on science-y topics, and philosphy, sociology, that kind of thing...I hate to use the word "pop" for its negative connotations, but it doesn't go too deep down the rabbit hole for laymen to grasp the concepts covered, and the hosts are very engaging.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:56 AM

The rooster teeth podcast:

http://roosterteeth.com/podcast/

They're the guys who make Red vs Blue. They both have a video and an audio version.

Personally I'd recommend listening to them from the beginning since the show was a bit funnier back in its raw form. It also suffers when the original crew are occasionally replaced by the younger staff.

EDIT: Oh and since you're into videogames I can also recommend the giant bombcast.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/

The show is like half video game discussion half nonsense.

This weeks show had me laughing out loud on my commute several times. I am pretty sure the other passengers thought I was schizo.

This post has been edited by Crustaceous Apt: 03 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

#7 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Can never go wrong with Marc Maron's WTF podcasts. If you like to listen to stand up comedy and showbusiness behind-the-scenes stuff, or honestly, good conversation with witty smart entertainers, then its #1 by far. I also listen to Adam Carolla's podcast. I like funny stuff. Not much time for anything else. Besides, I listen to NPR news all day in the office, so I need the comedic interludes.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#8 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Mostly Cbc stuff, ideas, age of persuasion/under the influence.
Philosophy bites
Freakonomics

#9 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

I recently discovered Night Vale. A radio News program for the fictional, lovecraft/fallout inspired city of Night Vale. It's pretty fantastic.

#10 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 November 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I recently discovered Night Vale. A radio News program for the fictional, lovecraft/fallout inspired city of Night Vale. It's pretty fantastic.

Yeah, I've loved it.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#11 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Did you remember to take the necessary precautions? Also, did you call, as you promised, or did you simply sneak out in the wee hours of the morning pretending it never happened?

#12 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Necessary precautions are always taken. I never go into the dog park, nor does my dog.
~Abyss

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

I've been listening to Advice Hot Dog today. The two of them crack me up.

http://advicehotdog.com/

It takes them about two seconds to go off on a tangent and by the end you forgot what they were talking about.

They're using that comedy method where they try to play the conversation really straight but you can hear how much fun they are having underneath.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thread-surecction.

Having recently discovered a couple of great podcasts I thought I'd mention em here.

POP MY CULTURE is a really solidly laid out pop culture hour long podcast. Great selection of guests and the interviews take a very loosey goosey approach to things, which feels organic. The two hosts work well together and play off each other. There is some silly stuff in there too, but some of the gems make up for it. Worth a listen. http://www.popmyculturepodcast.com or on iTunes.

The other one I recently discovered is Dan Carlin's HARDCORE HISTORY podcast. Man, this is great, methodically laid out, clear and concisely voiced, a mostly unbiased look at major historical events, people, or civilizations. I started with the multi-part history of Genghis Khan and the Mongols called WRATH OF THE KHANS. I'm only on episode 2 of a 5 part series, but I'm 100% riveted. It's like listening to a non-fiction book on tape, and Carlin is very adept at speaking in a way that is informative but also evenly spaced enough to take it all in. He's not dipping super deep into the events on any kind of scale (I don't think he's got enough history background to do so), but he's a hell of a presenter of the topics and the overviews. It's basically a great primer to get one interested in a given historical topic, and further study it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

One of my favourite podcasts is an Irish radio programme called TALKING HISTORY from Newstalk. The host is excellent, as he generally just sets up the guests and lets them explain their points, rather than trying to dominate the discussion himself, and equally keeps the guests from waffling. There may be a bit too much Irish history for people overseas, but they've had some really interesting and varied subjects.

Most of the podcasts i listen to are sports related, namely a few MMA podcasts, and a few NBA and NFL podcasts.
Football Weekly by The Guardian newspaper, is an excellent soccer podcast, very funny at times as well as having some good journalist contributors.

Grantland has a few good podcasts too. Hollywood Prospectus can be good(TV and Movies), The Moment can have some great interviewees (writers and filmmakers), The Lowe Post is a great NBA podcast.

Writing Excuses is a good short podcast with writing advice.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Just listened to the first installment in Dan Carlin's GHOSTS OF THE OSTFRONT series, and the chilling notion of the Peschanka Bone Fields (after the battle of Stalingrad) is nothing short of gooseflesh inducing. I don't know if they ever existed for real...but the image taken of the bodies dumped at the time of the war is unreal...and makes me believe the bone fields DID exist...even if they've long since withered away or been buried.

Freaky.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

The Dave Gorman podcasts from Absolute Radio are great too.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:18 AM

Two episodes (six podcasts) left to go in WE'RE ALIVE.... And I am utterly impressed with the storytelling. They managed to take what started as a fairly generic zombie story and turn it into something epic and human and awesome and the feels, omg some much the feels... Seriously, the setup to payoff ratio in this series is stunning.
Linky...

http://www.werealive.com/listen/
...free, worth your time. First season is a bit rough but after that it just keeps improving. The voice cast and effects people also steadily improve. By about halfway through S2 they start to hit their stride and then it goes from mildly entertaining to seriously engrossing. I'm looking fwd to hearing the end but also a little bummed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

So... through a friend I've discovered the utterly compelling and brilliant 99% INVISIBLE which is a podcast about design and the 99% invisible things that shape our world. It's completely fascinating and well, well worth your time.

Then, through that I also discovered SONG EXPLODER which does pretty much what it says, they take a song by an artist and the artist "explodes" the song, dismantling the process behind how it was made and constructed and why.

Two podcasts that I've just discovered and become completely addicted to.

#20 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, 99 % invisible is great.

I realise I posted about Serial's second season in the wrong thread.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users