• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia 103 - Codex Alera Game Thread

#81 User is offline   Tellan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Okaaayy.. so some of those questions are rhetorical, but I do want to hear Fener out, and I didn't mean to shut the thread up, haha.

Also, anyone else wondering about faction numbers? Based on the faction descriptions, I'm skeptical it's an even split between 20 players.

#82 User is offline   Fener 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Erm, because one* would assume the Queen starts in the infested tile? Being Queen and all? Keeper seemed the most likely of the 4 on the wiki for subsidiary role(s)** names given that the Vord aim is to spread creep, not to take out people. +5 pre day phase because.. let me see, we have started day phase and we have a mysterious +5 infestation on a tile already. It's that simple.

Brains on people.

*Okay, I
**The modification made when 20 people rather than 17 were in makes it quite clear we have more than one Vord if anyone was in any doubt before.

#83 User is offline   Fener 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Tellan, on 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Okaaayy.. so some of those questions are rhetorical, but I do want to hear Fener out, and I didn't mean to shut the thread up, haha.

Also, anyone else wondering about faction numbers? Based on the faction descriptions, I'm skeptical it's an even split between 20 players.

Just my speculation based on what we've seen. Someone with a better knowledge of the books could guess at role names for people likely to be defense orientated and guess their Loyal/Rebel alignment from that I'm sure.

Factions? First maybe 3, Vord 2-3, Loyalist 8-10, Rebel 4-6. Rebel roles are more action, Loyalist more Info/close to RI.

Out for a few hours now.

#84 User is offline   Monok Ochem 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

Tellan, on 25 June 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Fener, on 25 June 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

http://alera.wikia.com/wiki/Vord said:

Keepers

Keepers, also known as the "Wax Spiders," are dog-sized spider-shaped creatures. They maintain, feed, and feed off of the croach. If any portion of the croach becomes damaged, the Wax Spiders quickly appear to investigate the site and will attempt to kill any potential foes. They are known to see in infrared, but can also switch to the visible spectrum.

.. and that wiki entry lead you to believe they "cause +5 per Day phase"? Why can't the Queen's presence do this? Why jump to this assumption? Why jump to the existence of Keepers in this game in the first place?

I have to agree. I looked through wiki as well, just so I could start learning more about the books, but I wouldn't have been able to see anything special about a 'Keeper' just from the site as opposed to the others. This does make it appear as if Fener has additional information about the Vord faction.

#85 User is offline   Tellan 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Fener, on 25 June 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

..... +5 pre day phase because.. let me see, we have started day phase and we have a mysterious +5 infestation on a tile already. It's that simple.....

I was not doubting there was some ability, passive or active, of the Vord to cause +5 infestation. Duh, that's obvious. I was doubting the leap (?) from +5 infestation to it's-not-the-Queen, it's-this-type-of-Vord. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, just was fishy.

As for numbers, I would suspect more Vord than just 2-3? Based on the fact they're meant to creep out, not kill? Otherwise, that's not much of a VC, if there were so few? Unless they're hard to detect or something.

#86 User is offline   Tellan 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Monok Ochem, on 25 June 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

I have to agree. I looked through wiki as well, just so I could start learning more about the books, but I wouldn't have been able to see anything special about a 'Keeper' just from the site as opposed to the others. This does make it appear as if Fener has additional information about the Vord faction.

Unfortunately, it's a bit pointless to try and speculate further what this means about Fener exactly. :\ I'm guessing Trake is voting Fener due to him possibly being Vord.

Other than that... I'm just talking to myself here. :|

#87 User is offline   Okaros 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

God, that was fast. We already have a prime vord suspect, so we know where to start. I really'd like a more thorough explanation to dispel any of my suspicion on fener though. Since thats unlikely, anyone else on right now with any ideas on the faction numbers? I have to agree, ironically, with Fener, at least on numbers. Loyalists with the most numbers, no more than half the total though, with the rebels second with higher power but less players, and the vord and first Alerans evenly matched with less people.

#88 User is offline   Okaros 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Aaaaaand im alone

#89 User is offline   Nimander Golit 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Dump.

Loyalists

Gaius Sextus
Amara
Bernard
Araris Valerian/Fade
Isana
Attis Aquitaine <-- could also be a Rebel
Doroga (marat)
Aria Placida
Lord Ceres
Killian
Sir Miles

Other High Lords/Ladies (Antillus, Placida, Attica, Parcia, Rhodes, Riva, Phrygia)

Cursors
Human soldiers
Marat warriors

Rebels

Invidia Aquitaine
Kalarus Brencis
Aldrick ex Gladius
Odiana
Kalarus Brencis Minoris
Gaelle/Rook <-- could also be a Loyalist
Gaius Caria
Atsurak (marat)

Human soldiers
Immortals

First Aleran

Tavi/Gaius Octavian/Rufus Scipio
Kitai (marat)
Varg (canim)
Fidelias/Valiar Marcus <-- could also be a Rebel
Antillar Maximus
Ehren
Antillar Crassus
Nasaug (canim)
Hashat (marat)

Human soldiers
Canim Warriors
Canim Ritualists
Canim Hunters
Marat horsewarriors

Vord

Prime Vord Queen
Secondary Queens (could be many)
Sarl (canim)

Keepers
Mantises
Vordknights
Vordiphants

#90 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Blend, on 13 June 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Factions

There are four factions in this game:

Loyalists

Lead by Gaius Sextus, the Loyalists struggle to keep the rebels from attaining the throne of Alera Imperia. As the Rebels have more brute force, the Loyalists must rely on their quick movement abilities, better communications, and their furies to win.

Victory Conditions

Eliminate all members of the Rebels faction.
Eliminate the Vord Queen before all tiles are infested.

Rebels

Lead by Lord Kalarus Brencis, the Rebels seek to overthrow the current First Lord, Gaius Sextus, to place themselves on the throne. Though not as quick as the Loyalists, and working with considerably less information than the Loyalists, the Rebels are made up of many of the realm's strongest Furycrafters, making them a force to be reckoned with.

Victory Conditions

Eliminate all members of the Loyalist faction.
Eliminate the Vord Queen before all tiles are infested.

First Aleran

Lead by Gaius Octavian, or Tavi as he is known by his closest friends and family, the First Aleran cannot be bothered with the petty squabbling over the realm's throne. He knows that the Vord present the true threat to Alera Imperia, so, with his small team of elite soldiers, he will seek to prepare Alera for the incoming horde.

Victory Conditions

Eliminate all Vord players before all tiles are infested.

Vord

Lead by the Vord Queen, the Vord work as one to infiltrate Alera, take control of its most powerful Citizens, and infest the entire realm with croach, eventually choking away all life.

Victory Conditions

Eliminate all other factions or infest all tiles.

What I get from this:
Either Loayllists or Rebels can be town. The language is ambiguous (I have not read the books)

Alerans--small team of powerful players. The predators of the game.

Vord-Cult. Or Cult-like.

I'm guessing the tiles with extra-defences are the ones where the leaders are.

#91 User is offline   Nimander Golit 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

20 players, 22 alts.

Shot in the dark:

Loyalists

Gaius Sextus
Amara
Bernard
Araris Valerian
Isana
Attis Aquitaine

Rebels

Invidia Aquitaine
Kalarus Brencis
Aldrick ex Gladius
Odiana
Kalarus Brencis Minoris

First Aleran

Gaius Octavian
Kitai
Varg
Fidelias
Antillar Maximus
Antillar Crassus

Vord

Prime Vord Queen
Secondary Queen
Keepers/Vordknights/etc x3 <-- one player, 3 alts

The Vord and the Rebels are potentially recruiters. Kalarus and Gaius Sextus can trigger the Kalare volcano. Gaius Sextus can trigger the Alera Imperia explosion. The First Aleran will be setup principally to fight the Vord, while the Loyalists and Rebels will mostly be setup to fight each other.

#92 User is offline   Gait 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

I don't think Fener slipped because that would be too retarded.(even for a Mafia player)
And honestly, When I first saw him mention keepers I didn't think it was anything strange up until people started screaming "LOOK HE TALKED ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WASN'T MENTIONED IN THE OP!"
(that may be because I have actually read the series)

About NG's post:
Didn't Invidia help cripple Kalarus? that would mean Invidia can't be in the Rebel faction meaning Odiana/Aldrick can't be there.
I myself think Invidia would be a part of the (spoiler alert! Posted Image )
Spoiler
faction.

#93 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Gait, on 25 June 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't think Fener slipped because that would be too retarded.(even for a Mafia player)
And honestly, When I first saw him mention keepers I didn't think it was anything strange up until people started screaming "LOOK HE TALKED ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WASN'T MENTIONED IN THE OP!"

About NG's post:
Didn't Invidia help cripple Kalarus? that would mean Invidia can't be in the Rebel faction meaning Odiana/Aldrick can't be there.
Spoiler
faction.

There is no limit to idiocy in mafia. Ever.

vote Fener

because now he's being symped.

#94 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

And with that, i need to get back to work.

#95 User is offline   Demelain 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Good catch about the Vord acting as one, explains why there's 22 Alts in 20 person game

#96 User is offline   Nimander Golit 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

About NG's post:
Spoiler
faction.

Hmm, maybe. I guess books-wise she goes rebel, then loyal, then rebel again and then vord...

Depends on if/how recruitment works in this game. If the vord can't recruit, maybe she ought to be in the vord faction (drop the secondary queen, then?), but if they can recruit I would think she'd be a possible recruit (but the story can diverge and they recruit, say, Placida or Antillus instead).

#97 User is offline   Nimander Golit 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Demelain, on 25 June 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Good catch about the Vord acting as one, explains why there's 22 Alts in 20 person game

Vord have the biggest paucity of named characters, and the primary queen acts very independently sometimes, so it made sense to me that they'd have more "generic" roles that are just armies/supporters. Since everyone has an "attack" action, I see this as, say, if you are playing Kalarus you are him but also have an army following you, too, so your "attack" is both you throwing flaming mongooses at people and your army charging their army. The vord are supposed to be all swarmy, so one player having 3 whole alts of vord armies/keepers, but no named character, seemed like the kind of solution blend might throw in.

#98 User is offline   Kedeviss 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Interesting stuff so far. I think Fener is obviously coming from a position of having read the books, though his speculation is more specific than I would have come up with initially. Were I designing the game, I'd have used the two queens (were there three in the books? Can't remember now), and furycrafting Vord to balance with the furycrafting humans. I suppose keepers could be a queen ability to help spread the infestation, I just don't really see them as an alt. though.

#99 User is offline   Nimander Golit 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Kedeviss, on 25 June 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Interesting stuff so far. I think Fener is obviously coming from a position of having read the books, though his speculation is more specific than I would have come up with initially. Were I designing the game, I'd have used the two queens (were there three in the books? Can't remember now), and furycrafting Vord to balance with the furycrafting humans. I suppose keepers could be a queen ability to help spread the infestation, I just don't really see them as an alt. though.

There were like 50 queens in the books, at least 6 of whom we saw personally.

#100 User is offline   Monok Ochem 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Liosan, on 25 June 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

About NG's post:
Spoiler
faction.

There is no limit to idiocy in mafia. Ever.

vote Fener

because now he's being symped.

I don't see this as a symp attempt by Gait. I see it as someone speculating and telling us their thoughts, which is what everyone should be doing. That being said, I'm not saying I agree with Gait. Fener may have slipped. I wouldn't discount stupidity in mafia ever. It also occurred to me that having additional knowledge of the Vord faction wouldn't be limited to the Vord itself. The First Aleran faction might know something about the Vord that the others don't, seeing as it's their VC to wipe them out before they infest all tiles and win the game.

I also wanted to note that the First Aleran VC is to kill all the Vord, while the VC for the loyalist and rebels is written as killing the Vord Queen only. This may be nothing significant, but I thought it was mentioning.

In summary, I think Fener still poses the best choice so far. There have been worse day 1 cases. I'm withholding my vote until much later in the day though, as we have loads of time.

Share this topic:

• 184 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users