• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

#221 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Channel 4 bought the rights to show AGENTS OF SHIELD from ABC and that is literally just it. They can then show the series whenever they want, depending on the terms of the agreement and the contract. The contract probably stipulated that Channel 4 cannot show the series before the United States, and ABC probably doesn't send it to them until it airs anyway to prevent that. Channel 4 actually has form on this from previous American shows where that stipulation hasn't existed and C4 has happily blasted ahead of American broadcast when the American transmission has halted for some reason (most famously with BABYLON 5, which Channel 4 showed about 11 episodes of months ahead of US transmission, fortunately in the days before internet mass piracy).

Given Channel 4's schedule with American imports, it would be impractical for those dozens of American networks, cable channels, movie licensees and everyone else to dictate any kind of schedule. ABC, NBC, CBS, SyFy and Fox would be at war with one another to get their shows put into a primetime position in the UK, as those shows would make more advertising money and C4 would pay out more money for the episodes. You certainly wouldn't have a situation like at present where SHIELD has (or had) a primetime Friday night slot on Channel 4 itself and BROOKLYN NINE NINE is aired on E4 (a much smaller channel) at 11pm, which is what happens now. That happened because C4 felt that SHIELD was more bankable and made the decision to put it on in that slot. The show's critical drop in ratings means it's not a given it will return in that slot, though I suspect the hardcore geek audience will complain a lot if it doesn't.

My best friend used to work for Channel 4, and this is pretty much how they operate. It would be ludicrously over-complicated for it to operate in any other manner.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 27 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#222 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Post edited: Cause I was just continuing to argue and there's no point.

Let's just agree to disagree. I'm never going to agree with you on this. Like ever.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#223 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

And we've derailed this thread enough. Haha.

Sorry folks. That's my bad.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#224 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

Sorry but I don't see your point at all Quick. I see Werthead's and it makes sense. You lost me with a lot of mumbo jumbo. The gist of the whole argument being and the reason I am reading this thread right now is to find out why SHIELD didn't return at the same time as it did in America. You watched it Wednesday and I watched it Friday. Now you are all talking about it and I can't because I am not able to see it. reading up, you didn't make sense but Werthead did.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#225 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 January 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Let's just agree to disagree. I'm never going to agree with you on this. Like ever.

There's nothing to agree or disagree about. The facts of how international television sales work have been established for decades. Do you really think SyFy used to let the BBC tell them exactly when to air DOCTOR WHO? No, they'd tell them to screw off as they've already paid a lot of money to them for the privilege.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#226 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostWerthead, on 28 January 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

There's nothing to agree or disagree about. The facts of how international television sales work have been established for decades. Do you really think SyFy used to let the BBC tell them exactly when to air DOCTOR WHO? No, they'd tell them to screw off as they've already paid a lot of money to them for the privilege.

Really? You can't even just walk away from a disagreement?

#227 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 January 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 28 January 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Really? You can't even just walk away from a disagreement?

Posted Image

#228 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Anyone know when this is due back on? I haven't seen a new episode in a couple of weeks, and I needs my SHIELD fix!!!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#229 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

View PostBlend, on 29 January 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

Anyone know when this is due back on? I haven't seen a new episode in a couple of weeks, and I needs my SHIELD fix!!!

Returns Feb 4th.

Not sure why the massive break has occurred. But Jan 14th was the last ep (and there had only been two eps aired after the big Mid-Season Hiatus over the holidays already), so that's sizable. Unless they are preemptively pushing the whole sched forward so they don't need to break before May Sweeps and can just run right through it?

#230 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

It seems like there are several shows on hiatus between mid-Jan and early Feb. Super Bowl hiatus maybe?
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#231 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

New episode tomorrow! Woot woot!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#232 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

EXCELLENT ep tonight!

Non-linear different POV storyline allowed for some choice reveals.

Best bits:

Spoiler

#233 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Next new episode doesn't air again until March 4. I guess they don't want to risk fresh programming up against the Olympics?

Also, Skye is an 084 .... boom! I said it. You're welcome.

#234 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 05 February 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

Also, Skye is an 084 .... boom! I said it. You're welcome.

They revealed that on the last episode before last night's episode... Like over a month ago! :)

#235 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 February 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I very much agree - last night is the kind of episode I hope we continue to get for the rest of the season. It was intelligent, had me on the edge of my seat and scratching my head, and did the big reveals very well!

Spoiler

#236 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostBlend, on 05 February 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

She was! I've always found Ming Na Wen hot, but yeah she spent that whole episode looking supremely badass.

View PostBlend, on 05 February 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

I very much agree - last night is the kind of episode I hope we continue to get for the rest of the season. It was intelligent, had me on the edge of my seat and scratching my head, and did the big reveals very well!

Spoiler

Spoiler

#237 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

Frustrated Viewers = Losers

#238 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Amazing episode.

#239 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 06 February 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

You know what? I'm with Gregg on this one. Joss and Jed asked folk to have patience with the slow boil narrative, and there have been lots of dissenters...and online a LOT of those dissenters are assholes about their opinion. Gregg is just expressing exasperation with those he feels are being outwardly dickish about their dislike of how the show is going. Gregg is probably very proud about his involvement with the show is all. I can't fault him for expressing a real opinion in that regard. It kind of makes me like him more cause he's not afraid to hit back at those who have been virulently hateful towards the show.

#240 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

View PostJakovasaurus, on 06 February 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

You know what? I'm with Gregg on this one. Joss and Jed asked folk to have patience with the slow boil narrative, and there have been lots of dissenters...and online a LOT of those dissenters are assholes about their opinion. Gregg is just expressing exasperation with those he feels are being outwardly dickish about their dislike of how the show is going. Gregg is probably very proud about his involvement with the show is all. I can't fault him for expressing a real opinion in that regard. It kind of makes me like him more cause he's not afraid to hit back at those who have been virulently hateful towards the show.

I can't help but agree - being in his place, I'd probably say pretty much the same thing. People are being assholes about it, plain and simple. It's the show's first season, the actors are just starting to get to know each other and gel and create actual chemistry together on screen, and the team is finally starting to feel like a real team.

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users