• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vikings (discussion w SPOILERS) SPOILERS to latest ep SPOILERS

#81 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

I've watched that scene... yes, THAT scene... five times already and it still doesn't get old.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#82 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 March 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostJakovasaurus, on 27 February 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

A couple of things have been established though:
1) Kwenthrith is a psycho hose beast.

Why?

Well, insisting that your uncle's head be brought to you so you can "play" with it is not exactly the picture of mental health. Although, if her story about what her uncle made her endure as a child is true then I suppose it was warranted. But there are some other things "off" about her. Her wild/crazy eyes for one. Ragnar's persistent questions to her as well seem to indicate that he thinks there is something more to her then just her claim to the Mercian throne.Posted Image

#83 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

My goodness this is a badass show, appropriately brutal, interesting and engaging.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#84 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

On Lagatha just wait till finale and you ll prob be stomping your feet and fist pumping the air.

Fuck Yeah!

That was awesome. I need to go watch it again now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#85 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

So good.

Looking back, one other scene that really made me smile - Ragnar lying in bed, big grin on his face...pan across to see his wife, and still further to Lagartha lying next to her.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#86 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

The healing powers of a princess's pee. Posted Image

Yeah, a lot happening. Much of it confusing as it sits right now.

* So, the rat exterminator guy from The Strain is a god? See scene with Ragnar's sons at the frozen lake and Siggy. And scene at end of episode where Floki's wife sees him disappear. Also, he shtupped Aslaug, could she be carrying his baby now?!
* Ragnar and Lagertha are playing the long game against King Ecbert. They both have the drop on his machinations.
* Lagertha has some serious treachery awaiting her when she returns to Hedeby. Man, Kalf has made some serious allies - Holy shit! The wife of the blood eagle victim from last season! This can't end well! Posted Image
* Heh. Good ol' reliable Floki. Man, Floki should be their king.
* And some nice comic relief when they all were celebrating back in Wessex and Aethelwulf slaps Ragnar on the back and puts his arm around him and Ragnar responds by saying "I don't like you" Posted Image

#87 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

God stuff will ruin this show!!!

#88 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

Yes, the only aspect that has been bugging me has been the jebus visions. When Aethelstan got caught and treated as an apostate, until he got rescued I was pretty much assuming it was another dream.

#89 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostBriar King, on 13 March 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Spoilers for 3/12/15 epi

Yea he's a God. Did you notice the shimmer around Siggys daughter and then him at the river? Idk if he's Odin, Thor, Loki, or some other yet though. I'm leaning toward Loki since the Seer mentioned The Trickster in Lagatha convo.

His convo about the knocking up another woman and then nailing Asluang was pretty straight up saying she would be also. Good. I never liked her much. I'm in the Ragnar/Lagatha camp.

Idk about Floki this season. His double agent arc from last season may wind up coming about if he can't keep his anger with the Christ God in check.

I was thinking Loki too. The vision of him holding a ball of fire and Loki being the god of fire, the stories he told about the Thor being tricked by the giants (Loki was there according to the mythology).

So what was everyone's take on Siggy's death? I'm guessing the boys really didn't go out on the lake and that Siggy's life was the price the stranger demanded for easing Ivar's pain. I blame Bernard Cornwell for spoiling some of the show for me (if the writers kinda keep to histories of Ragnar and his sons).
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#90 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Brutal indeed. The momentum is leading to something bonkers happening soon.

Also, sweet move by Ragnar to get away from Floki when he was explaining who the wanderer is. Posted Image

#91 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostTraveller, on 07 March 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 05 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

On Lagatha just wait till finale and you ll prob be stomping your feet and fist pumping the air.

Fuck Yeah!

That was awesome. I need to go watch it again now.

The first time I watched that I leaped up off the couch and shouted "YESSSSS!" as did the Mrs. We do love Lagertha.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#92 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:29 AM

All caught up and geez Ragnar's become a bit of a douchebag. That scene between Ragnar and Ecbert at the party was some of the best dialogue in tv I've seen in ages.

#93 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

Caught up now too, and that was a brutal episode. Still, this show is amazing!

Although I'd be lying if I said that KNOWING what happens to a good number of these chaarcters in the future, Ragnar (and his sons; thanks Cornwell), Rollo, Athelwulf ect. takes a BIT of the surprise out of it for me.

Though I will say this...

historical spoilers

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#94 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

I wonder just how far they're going to take this show?

Yes QT, being a Cornwell reader does provide a pretty good account of the Ragnarsons. Athelstan and his his dual identity reminds me of the main guy in a book I read years ago, called The Hammer and the Cross. Actually I think that was about Ragnar too..

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

#95 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

It's the most successful thing on History right now and pretty much funding their entire original drama production budget, so i expect that they'll do at least the four seasons needed for syndication.

Probably another two for good measure (and DVD/DL sales) unless they come up with one or two more comparatively successful shows to push resources into.

It's kind of fascinating on an industry level to watch a documentary and reality show channel break so successfully into fiction/drama, especially when the industry may be moving closer to a subscription/on-demand model where one 'must see' show can be the difference between success and dissolution for a channel.

As for the historical elements, anything goes, esp in a show that had massive Irish cliffs around a Viking village. They're using the broad strokes of the supposed facts (depending on who you read Ragnar himself may not have existed ).

There is a certain loveliness to the idea of a final season where Bjorn and his brothers invade England to avenge Ragnar a lot.

#96 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

#97 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

I updated the thread title so no need for blocks, we are

SPOILERS OPEN

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS UNBLOCKED AND SAVAGELY SPOILING

TO THE LATEST EP FROM HERE ON YOU SPINELESS SPOILERBAIT

SPOILERS

Harbord was handled in such a way that he wasn't necessarily supernatural so much as unexplained, coincidental or just how a superstitious people would see things. Sure, it could have been a god... but he could have as easily been a clever wanderer with some skill at medicine and seducing princesses. It's the same way they've handled everything magicy in the series... the Seer's predictions are so vague that they could easily be interpreted to fit whatever happens... he even said as much.

I'm VERY curious to see where they go with Thorun... Bjorn doesn't exactly seem like he can get over her scarring, but that could yet change.

Surprised they offed Siggi like that... her story never really went anywhere once the original Earl died, King Horick died and Rollo turned out to be lame.

Floki is fascinating this season... he doubts everyone and everything. Also, rocks the fur vest and knee-high leather boots like a pimp.

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Harbord was handled in such a way that he wasn't necessarily supernatural so much as unexplained, coincidental or just how a superstitious people would see things. Sure, it could have been a god... but he could have as easily been a clever wanderer with some skill at medicine and seducing princesses. It's the same way they've handled everything magicy in the series... the Seer's predictions are so vague that they could easily be interpreted to fit whatever happens... he even said as much.

Yeah, but did you notice how he was shot in the cinematography, especially in the ice scene? He always has a halo around him of this kind of light. Was that just to lead us (the viewer) into believing he was indeed Odin? Or something else, like how the women saw him? Even his voice has this nether-quality to it...especially because having seen Kevin Durand in other roles (LOST most prevalent) that's not even close to his actual voice. I'm just not sure how they are playing that.

I'm VERY curious to see where they go with Thorun... Bjorn doesn't exactly seem like he can get over her scarring, but that could yet change.

I think he can get over her scarring...I feel his attitude is far more to do with her distancing herself from everyone.

Surprised they offed Siggi like that... her story never really went anywhere once the original Earl died, King Horick died and Rollo turned out to be lame.

It's almost like she was the bug in anyone's ear who would listen to her pushing them toward "power" and that's all she was in the end. They KIND of made her more interesting with Rollo eventually...but even that kind of petered out. I can see why she was written off (just in time to reprise her Glee role for the finale)...but yeah she's not had much to do since she was an Earl's wife...even when she was Lagertha and then Auslaug's sounding board/servant.

Floki is fascinating this season... he doubts everyone and everything. Also, rocks the fur vest and knee-high leather boots like a pimp.

Here's the thing I've sort of realized about Floki. Since S1 he's been the most devout, learned, and dedicated religious person amongst the Scandinavian ppl on the show. Also he's batshit crazy. Without fail though, if you want to know about the Saga's or what the Gods might think...you go to Floki. He's the one who tells Athelstan about Ragnarok and other stuff. He's the one who challenges Rollo about his fake Baptism by Aella. He has been (strangely enough, and probably much to his own chagrin) Athelstan's mirror in all things religious. But whereas Athelstan has been able to see all sides and slowly accept the pagan Norse religion as well as retaining his own Christian beliefs (albeit not remotely as chaste) while living amongst his friends in Scandinavia...Floki has gone the other way...becoming more insular, more devout, more crazy. He's maneuvered himself into a place where he's as brutally religious as the English Christians who believe that the pagans NEED/WILL bow to THEIR god...and brook no other option...Floki is the same way now. His mind is set and it will come to violence before long methinks.

So Ragnar continues his journey from typical daily devout belief in the Norse gods...to start to question those deities (with the death of Lagertha's second son)...to getting angry at them....to actively wanting to learn about Christianity. His path takes him closer to Athelstan more and more...and that pisses Floki off something fierce.

So yeah, it's really interesting to see a guy who's REALLY religious watch as almost all those around him allow their belief to wane to a laxity he's not comfortable with. I feel it will come to a head...and I don't think it will end well for Floki to be honest. It's also interesting to watch him be a HORRIBLE father with little to no interest in his daughter.

#99 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

I wondered if there was a link between the two children that died when Harbord arrived, and the unresolved deaths of Siggis two children. Not many similarities, but even Ragnar's sons went onto the ice together as a pair.

I was a bit surprised that the original jarls murdered sons remained unexplained.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

#100 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostTraveller, on 23 March 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

I was a bit surprised that the original jarls murdered sons remained unexplained.

While I'm not totally sure, I'm pretty convinced that was just to show that Jarl Haralson's rise to Jarldom was just as bloody as Ragnar's...and as such he'd made enemies who took out his kids.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users