Vikings (discussion w SPOILERS) SPOILERS to latest ep SPOILERS

#101 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Harbord was handled in such a way that he wasn't necessarily supernatural so much as unexplained, coincidental or just how a superstitious people would see things. Sure, it could have been a god... but he could have as easily been a clever wanderer with some skill at medicine and seducing princesses. It's the same way they've handled everything magicy in the series... the Seer's predictions are so vague that they could easily be interpreted to fit whatever happens... he even said as much.

Yeah, but did you notice how he was shot in the cinematography, especially in the ice scene? He always has a halo around him of this kind of light. Was that just to lead us (the viewer) into believing he was indeed Odin? Or something else, like how the women saw him? Even his voice has this nether-quality to it...especially because having seen Kevin Durand in other roles (LOST most prevalent) that's not even close to his actual voice. I'm just not sure how they are playing that.

It's definitely set up to allow for the possibility he was a god, but with the alternative just as possible so the line between historical re-enactment and outright fantasy is waveringly intact.

I'm VERY curious to see where they go with Thorun... Bjorn doesn't exactly seem like he can get over her scarring, but that could yet change.

I think he can get over her scarring...I feel his attitude is far more to do with her distancing herself from everyone.

I actually take his attitude at being a confused maybe 16 yr old kid with an unsupportive father and zero role models or advice except his mostly self-involved mom who could kick the Hulk in the nuts.
Siggi, iirc, was the only person to tell him he should be helping her.

Floki is fascinating this season... he doubts everyone and everything. Also, rocks the fur vest and knee-high leather boots like a pimp.

Here's the thing I've sort of realized about Floki. Since S1 he's been the most devout, learned, and dedicated religious person amongst the Scandinavian ppl on the show. Also he's batshit crazy. ...it's really interesting to see a guy who's REALLY religious watch as almost all those around him allow their belief to wane to a laxity he's not comfortable with. I feel it will come to a head...and I don't think it will end well for Floki to be honest. It's also interesting to watch him be a HORRIBLE father with little to no interest in his daughter.

All good points and what makes him so much fun to watch.
I also like how he's lanky and almost geeky compared to most of the warriors but one of Ragnar's the most vicious fighters.

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 23 March 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

I was a bit surprised that the original jarls murdered sons remained unexplained.

While I'm not totally sure, I'm pretty convinced that was just to show that Jarl Haralson's rise to Jarldom was just as bloody as Ragnar's...and as such he'd made enemies who took out his kids.

In the first couple of S1 eps it was mentioned, iirc, that they died when the Earl's own brother tried to poison him.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#102 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

All good points and what makes him so much fun to watch.
I also like how he's lanky and almost geeky compared to most of the warriors but one of Ragnar's the most vicious fighters.

Yeah, he's the unassuming skinny weirdo at home...but then when you see him especially amongst the English, with that kind of staggery walk of his where he kind of tilts half his lanky body over as he goes, hands gently on the axe's hanging at his sides like six-shooters...it's eerie, and (other than Rollo's look) is the most Viking-ish of the "looks" in general behaviour on the show.

I also like that he was initially the only Scandinavian actor on the show, so he has the realism built into his DNA.

Also in the vein of what may or may not happen to Floki...all of Ragnar's crew have fated destinies in history and Floki is no different...being that his real life counterpart was the man who basically settled Iceland as a Norse island. Dunno if the show will lead him there or not...but it might speak to him surviving the events of the show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#103 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 March 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

Also in the vein of what may or may not happen to Floki...all of Ragnar's crew have fated destinies in history and Floki is no different...being that his real life counterpart was the man who basically settled Iceland as a Norse island. Dunno if the show will lead him there or not...but it might speak to him surviving the events of the show.

I utterly love the idea of Floki saying "fuck you Ragnar, i'm starting my own kingdon, c'mon Helga...' and then doing just that.

#104 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

It's the most successful thing on History right now and pretty much funding their entire original drama production budget, so i expect that they'll do at least the four seasons needed for syndication.

Probably another two for good measure (and DVD/DL sales) unless they come up with one or two more comparatively successful shows to push resources into.

It's kind of fascinating on an industry level to watch a documentary and reality show channel break so successfully into fiction/drama, especially when the industry may be moving closer to a subscription/on-demand model where one 'must see' show can be the difference between success and dissolution for a channel.

et voila...

http://io9.com/the-h...n-te-1693267727

...next up, Templars.

#105 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

The History Channel's has been doing some interesting stuff. If you haven't seen Hatfields & McCoys (with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton), you should. And coming this Memorial Day, Texas Rising. http://www.history.c...as-rising/about

#106 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 24 March 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

.... coming this Memorial Day, Texas Rising. http://www.history.c...as-rising/about

Kris Kristofferson as Andrew Jackson

NICE!

#107 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 March 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 March 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

It's the most successful thing on History right now and pretty much funding their entire original drama production budget, so i expect that they'll do at least the four seasons needed for syndication.

Probably another two for good measure (and DVD/DL sales) unless they come up with one or two more comparatively successful shows to push resources into.

It's kind of fascinating on an industry level to watch a documentary and reality show channel break so successfully into fiction/drama, especially when the industry may be moving closer to a subscription/on-demand model where one 'must see' show can be the difference between success and dissolution for a channel.

et voila...

http://io9.com/the-h...n-te-1693267727

...next up, Templars.

I saw that and immediately thought of your prophetic post.

Plus, if there's a period of history I'm most interested in these days, it's definitely the Crusades. I hope it's up to the VIKINGS standard.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#108 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 March 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

The Gangland Undercover has been ok also.?its not SoA but it's not completely shit.

Why do yall keep talking about Cornwell? Is it based off that?

In Cornwell's Saxon Series, the main character encounters Ragnar's sons: Ubba, Sigard, Ivar, and Halfdan. I don't recall if Bjorn is mentioned.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#109 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:44 AM

Well damn, the brutality got kicked up another notch this episode. Damn, Floki did what I think we all expected. And that stuff about power Ragnar talks about in the first episode of this season is now coming around to bear fruit. Holy shit.

#110 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Is there anywhere I can watch the early seasons of this show legally?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#111 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 27 March 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

Is there anywhere I can watch the early seasons of this show legally?

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

#112 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

nothing but recaps, I'm afraid - but I appreciate the link anyway

I want to start from 1
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#113 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:51 AM

Shomi has all the seasons...or you can buy the seasons on iTunes

#114 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:55 AM

Two giant revelations!!!

Spoiler

#115 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 March 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

Yeah but that's a weird way to go about it considering the very public way it was introduced I think.

For the scattering of people who were present and such...at a guess by the time the tyke is older there won't be many things but whispers.

#116 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:39 AM

DAMN!!! We fell several episodes behind (wife's fault, she kept picking other stuff on the dvr 1st) so I just forged ahead alone for the last 2 episodes. I can't believe how much happened! My head is spinning. One question stands out most. Why did Ragnar kill the witness to the destruction of the Wessex settlement? My initial assumption is that he is so consumed with Paris now that he doesn't want the "distraction" of having to avenge it? I have to assume his people would demand it if they knew. This show Is simply one of the best on tv right now.

#117 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:45 AM

Yep, he knew that if it was revealed that the Wessexsettlement was attacked that his ppl would demand he got get revenge and he's REALLY set on Paris right now.

#118 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 March 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

Yep, he knew that if it was revealed that the Wessexsettlement was attacked that his ppl would demand he got get revenge and he's REALLY set on Paris right now.

This.
But wow Floki has lost it completely.
And where can I get Rollo's fur coat... That thing was GLORIOUS.

#119 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

Woah, woah, woah . . .

Spoiler

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#120 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

That's par for the course for The History Channel. In their Sons of Liberty miniseries they portrayed Sam Adams as an Assassin's Creed style escapists when he was running from British troops. I wouldn't get to caught up in the actual history of the subject matter they are portraying and just take it at face value as entertainment. They should probably change the name of the channel, as they are The "History" Channel in name only.Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users