• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vikings (discussion w SPOILERS) SPOILERS to latest ep SPOILERS

#381 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:28 PM

huh, the actor who plays Bjorn will be on new show called Heels, about two pro wrestler brothers. His character's name is "Ace Spade"... HA! sounds cheesetastic. I might have to check it out.

About his portrayal of Bjorn -

WARNING, do not click if you haven't watched the series to conclusion.

Spoiler

#382 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:21 PM

Anyone going to give Vikings: Valhalla a try? I guess it starts soon.

Also, I clicked that spoiler I posted above. Fuckin' A, goosebumps all over again.

#383 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 February 2022 - 01:38 PM

VIKINGS VALHALLA S1 showed up today on Netflix.

Only an episode and a half in...but fuck me it's already REALLY good. The two main leads (Leif, and Harald) are really good, and really charismatic. Harald actor looks like what you'd get if you crossed young Matthew McConaughey with a 11th century viking.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#384 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 March 2022 - 01:04 AM

I started with valhalla. Like some of the casting.

Not quite sure why 11th century Norway would have a colored woman as a village chief, and everyone else is Caucasian?

#385 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 March 2022 - 02:16 AM

Because it’s a fictional tv show? And not everyone needs to be white all the time?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#386 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 04 March 2022 - 04:20 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 March 2022 - 02:16 AM, said:

Because it’s a fictional tv show? And not everyone needs to be white all the time?

When 99% of the cast is white and we got one colored person I don't call that representation. That's tokenism.

Also its a period drama. Loosely based on a historical period and actual historical events. Norway wasn't exactly a cultural hotspot, especially at that time in history.

Look at it this way, if it was a period drama about i don't know, Ibn' Battuta for example i'd expect a very varied cast cause this guy went from morocco to Constantinople to Delhi among other places. but this is tenth/eleventh century northern europe.

#387 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 18 March 2022 - 02:48 AM

SO i finished vikings about a week ago.

All and all i found it enjoyable. I very much enjoyed how this emphasized politics more than anything else. My favorite character was Godwin in how he effortlessly plays everyone against each other.

#388 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 04:06 AM

Holy axefucks.... VALHALLA IS GLORIOUS.

Just finished S1, it's great. Crazy action, engaging characters, twists I did not see coming. Dodged a pile of the filler that dragged down later seasons of the first series and goes all in on the battles, insanity, and politicking.

Loved it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#389 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2022 - 12:30 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 04 March 2022 - 04:20 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 March 2022 - 02:16 AM, said:

When 99% of the cast is white and we got one colored person I don't call that representation. That's tokenism.

You know when you use the word "colored" and then try to say that some casting is tokenism, that makes you look even worse, yeah?

There's also an in-story reason for Haakon to be a POC (<----let's use this instead of the racially tinged "coloured" shall we?) that they say out loud in dialogue. I'm not sure why that's not somehow good enough. Also, the actress is literally Swedish...so she has every right to play that character.

Also, amusingly, she has more than one other POC on her Shield Maidens if you'd paid attention; and Kattegat also seems to have more than a few foreigners living there...but never mind eh? Speaking of Kattegat, a completely fictional place...

Also its a period drama. Loosely based on a historical period and actual historical events.

Are you seeking historical accuracy in these shows? Okay man...

Norway wasn't exactly a cultural hotspot, especially at that time in history.

I'll say this again...Kattegat is. not. real.

Also if you're going to wax intellectual about history, you should know a little bit about it.

Did you even READ that? The Nat Geo link contained in the article proves my point sunshine.

Bottom line here man, this is a fictional TV show, starring fictional versions of mythic or real characters and in a lot of cases entirely made up ones, in an almost completely fictional plot only very loosely based on some real events. So the notion that some POC characters can't show up in that fictional show in 2022 is rank AF and a bad opinion.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 March 2022 - 12:32 PM

#390 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 18 March 2022 - 11:18 PM

I mean let's be honest here. It's hard for me to have read an article i didn't even know existed until you brought it up.though i do appreciate you sharing that.

To your point though you're right they did provide a backstory to her eventually that was pretty plausible.

Which is ultimately what I want from period pieces. Plausibility. Accuracy from this particular period is hard due to lack of evidence. But plausibility is what I'm looking for and i think the show despite my earlier and false misgivings has pulled it off.

And noted about the use of colored versus poc.

#391 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 March 2022 - 11:37 PM

I thought they set up Haakon and her shield maidens well. The African slaves shown when Freydis and Lief arrive, then Haakon telling her short backstory... done. Vikings are sexing w African slaves. Slaves and children of slaves are rising to full status... which we've seen before.
And Haakon was a great character, the actor nailed the role. Except maybe that last episode, but I suppose that had to go that way.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users