• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vikings (discussion w SPOILERS) SPOILERS to latest ep SPOILERS

#41 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostAbyss, on 19 February 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Say what I will about the story, Hist channel did a glorious job w the visuals, accuracy and combat when it actually took place. I think you'll enjoy.

Thanks, managed to see 4 episodes, some more during the following weekend. :-D Quite like it, buuut...afraid I have to regard it as a partial fantasy adaptation. They have paid attention to battles and law (as for instance in the reaction of the one accused of murder to the word "coward"...see argr), lots of visual eye candy gamboling about, and I was happy to hear actual Old English spoken, and so forth. Apparently the cast features a Finnish actor in the role of Kauko. :-D Drakkar-sized nitpicks, however:

-Seem that the Norsemen raided a Game of Thrones costume stock before Lindisfarne. More than half a dozen "What in Oden's sweaty balls are they wearing??!!!" reactions from me, the grandest blinkity-blink gape of the jaw at the wife of the jarl. White and undyed fabrics signified low class, white especially was regarded as something befitting slaves. She ought to have worn madder red or at least dark indigo. Jewelry was all over the place. Wrong styles for the period, for one thing. They had included some of the women's turtle brooches, but they're supposed to suspend the dress or peplos (Finnish variant), not just serve as fanciful nipple extensions.

-The ship wasn't tarred. Wouldn't last long in Rán' and Aegir's embrace.

-Apart from Iceland, the west wasn't an unknown direction to the Vikings. They had kept contacts with the British Isles during the Vendel era (ferthorssakes, archeologists have found king-level accoutrements and weapons sharing a distinct style on the Suffolk-Gamla Uppsala-Laitila axis, Beowulf was an epic sung in Old English in the overseas courts, yada yada...). and centuries before. Main trade routes and all that. Some legends point to Saami fishermen paddling to the Orkney islands, even.

-Magic (seidr) was considered a feminine art and something of an abomination for a man to practice. UNLESS he was a Saami/Finnish noita, who were popular as soothsayers, wind-summoners, and so forth. The jarl's shaman didn't appear to share any Saami attributes.

-No such thing as "Russia" existed back then. The East Baltic and Ladoga were largely inhabited by Finno-Ugric tribes. Rus'/Ruts' (comes from the Finnish word Ruotsi/ruotsalaiset, Sweden/Swedes) were Swedish Vikings that founded Novgorod.

#42 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Just ignore history and focus on Vikings thats chopping of heads with axes. Else its just painful to watch sometimes.

#43 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Haha, as long as they're neither wearing horned helmets nor casting Marvel's "Thor" to swing his plastic hammer around, I should be able to tolerate it. :-D

Moar hairsplitting from the confines of memory:

-They ought to have removed the ship's dragonhead when approaching the land. A common practice to ensure the landvättir did not become aggravated or afraid.

-Where was everyone's headgear??? Nalbound long-tailed caps, women's headscarves??? See for instance this image about Finnish female costumes (the Eura dress reconstruction has none, since the headpiece had mostly vanished, but nevertheless). [Researchers also argue about the colors. According to some new molecule analysis, the Eura dress, traditionally green/blue, ought to have been red. The significance of colors furthermore varied across the pond.]

#44 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

i think the worst thing was when they went to Sweden. Can't remember where at the moment. But everything was so wrong it hurt.

#45 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Ow. Perhaps enjoy a few beers before the next episode?

Buuuut as a positive aspect, it contains oodles of hawt, beardy, long-haired men. A detail that soon becomes important to an all-female audience. XD XD

#46 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

They have axes, sex don't matter.

#47 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Man, I've gotta get caught up with S1...I watched the first few eps and loved them, but got waylayed by SO much other TV.

Will be catching up maybe this weekend.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#48 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

The opening episode of season 2 wasn't anything great. It wasn't shitty. Probably (imo) a notch above meh. Hopefully it gets better.

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Episode 7: Kauko is talking to himself in Finnish several times beyond the camera's perimeter. ;)
"Nyt tulee, nyt se tulee!"
"Väsyttää, mutta vielä valvotaan..."

An Easter egg for fellow countrymen?

#50 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostGraablick, on 27 February 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

i think the worst thing was when they went to Sweden. Can't remember where at the moment. But everything was so wrong it hurt.

Episode 8. And I ought to have quaffed down those beers. DX I burst out laughing when I saw the "Uppsala" scene: lofty mountains, a high waterfall... Come on, how perkeleen hard is it for a scriptwriter to click open Google Earth these days and glance at a few pictures of a place that's a Unesco World Heritage site besides??? ;) This doesn't deserve any kind of "historically accurate" stamp.

So, unless the Frost Giants became infuriated and trampled the ground flat at some point, Gamla Uppsala looks like this. Those kingsbarrows are man-made, from the Vendel era, ought to have towered there during Ragnar's visit.

Attached File  gamlauppsala1.jpg (253.79K)
Number of downloads: 0

The temple for Óðinn, Þórr, and Freyr would've stood approximately at the site of the present medieval church. They've found traces of wooden structures beneath tracing their roots back to the 9th century. The king's longhall sprawled behind it on terraced ground.

Attached File  gamlauppsala2.jpg (323.28K)

Attached File  gamlauppsala3.jpg (409.54K)

Read moar here.

ETA: Now they have mountains in Denmark as well. Deja vu from the Beowulf animated movie. I must live in an alternate dimension where the peninsula's flatter than an ironed-over butterfly.

This post has been edited by Kaamos: 01 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

#51 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 04 April 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

Such a fun season so far! Tonight epi was great!

Seconded. S2 has been leaps and bounds and axes better than S1.

Now if someone could just explain to me why they have to lick the seer's palm...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#52 User is online   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

BLOOD EAGLE. HO-LY CRAP.
Love that Lagertha appears to be back for a while...

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 14 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

BLOOD EAGLE. HO-LY CRAP.
Love that Lagertha appears to be back for a while...

Seconded on both points. The eagle was more disturbing than pretty much everything .

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 April 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

LMMFAO King Eckbart to random guard, "Good Luck."

Totally. And the four guards running in to the Princess' delight was damn funny.

#55 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

Anyone else seen the finale yet?

It was pretty close to perfect. I could nitpick a few things, but as the pay-off to most of the second season's running plotlines, it was a great hour of tv.

The actor who plays Floki deserves an Emmy just for his facial expressions in the first five minutes.

The Shield-Maiden throwdown... holy fuckswords.

I'm totally in for S3.

#56 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yeah it was good - avoiding spoilers I will just say that one of the main plot-threads of the season which was consummated in this finale was dealt with rather clumsily taken as a whole but it was good, even great, TV nonetheless.

#57 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Finally finished watching the last two episodes. Man, on the whole this season of Vikings was solid.

The fight sequence in the episode leading up to the finale was quite a treat. Rollo taking down two horses with his axe being the cherry of the sequence. And King Horik is an internecine struggling MoFo!

It will be interesting to see where s3 takes things. Think they will reveal/develop more the serpent eye'd son of Ragnar?

#58 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:07 AM

I get the feeling that the Blood Eagle episode from last season was just hinting at the brutality coming in season 3. Man, I wish it was 2015 already!

#59 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 03 September 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

I get the feeling that the Blood Eagle episode from last season was just hinting at the brutality coming in season 3. Man, I wish it was 2015 already!

This video is unavailable in you country.

Grrrr....
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#60 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

This is back 2/19????

HAIL ODIN AND KILL SHIT! :p
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users