Malazan Empire: VERY short story discussion thread - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VERY short story discussion thread for discussing, critiqueing, possibly badmouthing

#21 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

Ok I think its all up there. That was tons of fun. I'm definitely trying my hand at this again Mac!

Are we waiting for a judging of some sort or do we blast on to the next one?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#22 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Well there's really no judging to be done, yours is a far more complete piece :apt:

you can pick the premise/sentence this time round sure.

#23 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Ok well on to the next one:

Current challenge, 1000 word story containing the line:

We need a doctor.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#24 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

well holy crap the last two month of my life did not leave me any time for this, with a shit ton of work in May and a holiday aqnd more brutal hours in june/ july I'm only staritng this now.

#25 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 July 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

well holy crap the last two month of my life did not leave me any time for this, with a shit ton of work in May and a holiday aqnd more brutal hours in june/ july I'm only staritng this now.

I hear you. I actually forgot about this. RL has been hectic. Feel parhetic I only have seven lines on my story document and this blinking cursor just stares at me! Gaaaaah!!!

Lets try gun it for the weekend? Honestly its an hour of planning, an hour and a half worth of re-writing and two hours writing it up again because you forgot to save that one time you left for coffee and [insert pc doom here].

#26 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

ok, Sunday evening GMt is my target, which in reality means monday :blink:

I think we need to get this back on track and more regular if we're to get anyone else interested

#27 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostMacros, on 25 July 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

ok, Sunday evening GMt is my target, which in reality means monday :blink:/>

I think we need to get this back on track and more regular if we're to get anyone else interested

Yeah! so I guess we try up the quality this time round? An entertaining read should up demand and generate mad thread traffic yo!!

#28 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

do an illustration that captures the essence of the story without spoiling it
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#29 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

or make the story an interpretation of the scene, that would be boss
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#30 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 26 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

How do you mean? If I'm understanding you right you mean we take an image and write the 1000 word narrative behind whats happening in it?

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 26 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

#31 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

well thats just not fair, my drawing skills are somewhat behind dols!

#32 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

Ok well my story is in, sent it through to the Bard. felt really strange writing it up, I have to plan it better so I get the wordcount right. Need to be more critical of what I say and what I edit out, which I find is improving my approach to storytelling quite a bit.

If anyone is interested please give it a shot. It didnt take too much of my time and I enjoyed it.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 29 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

will be submitting mine in an hour or so

#34 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 26 July 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

View PostHiddenOne, on 26 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

How do you mean? If I'm understanding you right you mean we take an image and write the 1000 word narrative behind whats happening in it?

yeah, I mean a common image, artist not necessarily the writer that everybody uses as inspiration - you know, the old adage of a picture being worth 1000 words

Edit: I'm not trying to mess with anyone's project here, just an idea, ignore it as you like

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 07 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

#35 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 July 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

will be submitting mine in an hour or so

How many years have past? Am I still current? I don't even...

@Hidden One: I get the idea and like it would be cool to write on an image and a phrase...If Mac is in agreement ofcourse.

#36 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

So, is there time still? How much time do I have? Working a lot of overtime killed my writing this week, but I reckon I should be able to put something together next week if we're not past the due date already.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#37 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Technicaly our due date was two weeks ago. It would be nice to be doing these once every two or three weeks but time hasn't been friendly and work commitments have been tough all around. So in short Its all very bend-with-the-wind at the moment. If you have something the Bard can wait till you send your story through. Honestly the more the merrier. :thumbup:

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 09 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

#38 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

I have a strong outline (imo). Need to write it out. Not sure how useful it is to practice writing 1000-word stories but I do intend to play along for a bit. It's going to be couple of weeks though.

I may try to seduce you weirdos into a collective writing project which I think will be more interesting. Let me know if you're interested.

#39 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Ante up! Go right ahead mal. writing shorts on the same subject is a good way to see how everyone approaches a theme. Useful for any group writing should it happen.

its all about creating the right mood in a scene. Its great practice to that end.

#40 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Ok.
first off, I freely admit again that I am a horrible human being.
a horrid, procrastinating asshole.

on the other hand I think Ive finally got work round to idea that I am not an automaton capable of working every hour they desire, Subject only to their needs. So, with this in mind I will finally log i to the Bard account tonight and get this sorted.
I will be making a proper effort to make this on time from now on, as there seems to be some interest in this as well I don't want to let it die (provided it isn't too late)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users