Malazan Empire: VERY short story discussion thread - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VERY short story discussion thread for discussing, critiqueing, possibly badmouthing

#101 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostGabriele, on 05 August 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostMaximiljen, on 22 July 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Well, I can say only that my story is set during the Roman conquest of Asia Minor. Parthia and Pontus :p
(I just hope I live up to the task and not ruin a great story..)

Oh, this sounds like FUN. :)

Fellow Roman geek here, though I haven't figured out this contest thingie yet, and I usually get plotbunnies for novels, not short stories. But maybe I could adapt a novel chapter from A Land Unconquered.

Yes! Join away! This isnt a contest so much as a writing challenge for the sake of improvement, critique, feedback etc.

Shinrei usually sets up the actual contests once a year (which are awesome). This group could be seen as a way to keep Malazan creative writers active and improving.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#102 User is offline   The Bard 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

6th Topic: ETERNITY

Definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity

...Eternity is endless time. In philosophy and mathematics, an infinite duration is also called sempiternity, or everlasting.Eternity is an important concept in many religions, where the immortality of God or the gods is said to endure eternally. Some, such as Aristotle, would say the same about the natural cosmos in regard to both past and future eternal duration, and like the eternal Platonic Forms, immutability was considered essential.

The metaphysics of eternity studies that which necessarily exists outside or independently of space and time.Another important question is whether "information"or Form is separable from mind and matter. Aristotle established a distinction between actual infinity and a potentially infinite count: a future span of time must be a potential infinity,because another element can always be added to a series that is inexhaustible.[2] Aristotle likewise argued that the cosmos has no beginning. Euclid invoked this distinction instead of saying that there are an infinity of primes, rather that the primes outnumber those contained in any given collection thereof.

Setting:Compose a "glimpse" of eternity. Word-limit: null

Deadline: Mid January

Submissions to be sent to THE BARD
-----------------------------

This post has been edited by The Bard: 25 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

THE VERY SHORT STORY THREAD
Current Topic: Eternity

#103 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

My favorite class is college was my short story class..good times. I retook this and outdoor survival.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#104 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 25 October 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

My favorite class is college was my short story class..good times. I retook this and outdoor survival.

Excellent subject choice. B)

When the zombies come, you'll be ready!

I loved creative writing classes in high school. I got good grades but had to push myself as it was my third language. Wish i'd taken a course at varsity level.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#105 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Afraid the text in my submission is garbled again. Wherefore does the thread bear a grudge against me? B)
"Otsomieli Brúnhattur was one of the soldiers pushed into the veryhindquarters of the triumph-parade. A troll reaching but the height of a sordidseven feet, he was runty of build, and gourdish around the midriff. His mereshadow would have disgraced the half-hiisi Hjaldrgegnir and the berserkeríviđjur stomping at the very front." ...etc.

#106 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostKaamos, on 27 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Afraid the text in my submission is garbled again. Wherefore does the thread bear a grudge against me? B)
"Otsomieli Brúnhattur was one of the soldiers pushed into the veryhindquarters of the triumph-parade. A troll reaching but the height of a sordidseven feet, he was runty of build, and gourdish around the midriff. His mereshadow would have disgraced the half-hiisi Hjaldrgegnir and the berserkeríviðjur stomping at the very front." ...etc.

Its a weird experience i tell you, i had to edit out all the coding parameters. I even had all the mushed bits and pieces edited by a friend and still it warps the text. I really dont get it. B)

Will fix it up when i get back from work today.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 27 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

#107 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hmmmmn, it keeps reverting to that odd format after I save changes. I tried editing it in word, notepad and wordpad which worked well last time.

Its alot to re-edit. I think the copy from the site is the issue. Send me a document via Email please.

I made an Email for such a problem. Its thebardvssc@yahoo.com.

Mac, i'll send you the access details. Perhaps all submissions come in through the E-mail to avoid similar issues and make things easier to log into the main thread.

#108 User is offline   Lizradusa 

• A Flare Unholiest
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

Eternity sparks a nice image in my mind. If I can find a way to fit that image into a story and if my time permits I might join you with writing short stories.
Posted Image 'Tired of Wasting Time, Let LizInc organize your lazyness!' - Obdigore Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users