Malazan Empire: SKIN GAME anticipation, previews, support-group - Malazan Empire

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SKIN GAME anticipation, previews, support-group Dresden 15 - NO SPOILERS HERE

#41 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 April 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

For any religious people I was wondering if the fallen angels are based on real bible angels or if Butcher made them up for the books?

The fallen angels in the bible are those who rebelled with satan against Jehovah. I'm not aware of anything biblically about angels being bound to the 30 silver coins that are in the bible.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#42 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 April 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

Ok so then Lasciel is actually named in the Bible? I googled her to see but I just got Dresden links. It said that Nico could possibly be the same guy that's in bible that was in the time of Jesus but Butcher hasn't confirmed that for sure that I can remember.

I was just curious really cause I found no bible links when I looked her up.

Not that I recall. iirc '-iel or -ael' mean 'of god' which signify angels. I don't really remember much else regarding it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#43 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

They're pretty much noun-iel style names. I mean, Ursiel? Bear of god? (Totally forgotten Nicodemus' angel's name, henceforth it shall be known as Douchiel)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#44 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

According to google lascie in Latin means 'willful'.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 03 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

#45 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I want to say we have not but maybe it has slipped my mind, Have we met HADES in the books before?

#46 User is offline   Mikkelinski 

• Corporal

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Not to my knowledge or what any quick search could tell me. Unless of course it is a thing about masks again, like Kringle etc.

Overall I'd say that the greek mythos has been mostly absent up to this point which is partially why I'm so excited for this one (besides being the next Dresden ofc).

#47 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Dresden who?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#48 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 04 April 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Dresden who?

Dresden Crackitgrowz
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#49 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

I shall not think about it. The desire it burns!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#50 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

No, there aren't any biblical references to the 30 coins having anything bound to them.

But.....

The book "The Coins of Judas" by Scott McBain (not the detective author, the other one) had the central premise of the coins being inherently 'evil' and requiring collection and safe keeping by the church,

with the caveat that if a Coin holder ever becomes pope then its Armageddon time.

So its not an entirely original idea from Butcher, but he does it so well that I forgive him whole heartedly, like much of his take on myth/legend/fairy tale.....
meh. Link was dead :(

#51 User is offline   Hound 

• Lieutenant

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Found this very long Q&A interview regarding Cold Days, Skin Game, the new steampunk series, book 16/17 of the Dresden Files and a lot of other random info: http://www.jimbutche...html#msg1706608

Not a lot of new info, but entertaining nonetheless :)

#52 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostHound, on 17 April 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Found this very long Q&A interview regarding Cold Days, Skin Game, the new steampunk series, book 16/17 of the Dresden Files and a lot of other random info: http://www.jimbutche...html#msg1706608

Not a lot of new info, but entertaining nonetheless :)

yah, this is the interview with the Steampunk refs and the dresden is 20 bks plus a trilo stuff...

That said, i didn't see this interesting bit last time i read it...

I read somewhere that you weren't happy with the SciFi [now Syfy] interpretation of your book and that you were waiting to get the rights back so you could sell it to somebody like HBO so that you'd have more hands on [involvement] so that you could make the series more like the book. Is that true?

Partly. I was waiting to get the rights back because that's what you do when you're done, and I was keeping track and looking forward to when the rights were coming back. I didn't keep track exactly to the day, I was usually one or two off, but as it turned out they remitted the rights early, voluntarily, and so I've got them back now. I don't know if anything's going to happen or not, but the way that things work when you're doing a deal with anyone in Hollywood is that nothing is certain until the check is cleared. And even then, you've got to be a little wary.

I try to look back at the Syfy show as a glass-half-full kinda thing. Yeah, it did get cancelled kind of quick, but on the other hand, they cancelled it before they could really ruin anything. So I try to think positive about that. I did like Robert Wolfe a whole lot, I got along with him really well. There were a few rugs pulled out from under him that I think without which it would have been a significantly more successful show. Being told two weeks before they started shooting,
"Oh, we're not gonna do one single story arc."
"We're not?!"
"No, we're going to do a bunch of unconnected episodes. People don't like continuing story arcs."
"We don't? But we've only got two weeks?"
"Just change all the names and use the same stories, just don't connect them to one another. Break all the connections"

Yeah, that's good writing, like that. They were dealing with challenges like that. The folks that were actually on it really did a really good job. There was other shenanigans happening that made their job harder. Which was too bad. But I got to go up and visit the show and be on the show.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#53 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

My guess is it's a piece he started, read at some appearance or another, and hasn't gotten back to yet. Pure speculation on my part.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#54 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

From the interview. Very exciting stuff.

Oooh. Skin Game. That was also the other good idea. It was gonna be Skin Game or Bag Man, it's going to depend on how I plot out the…I'm sorry, I'm going into writer space. Yeah, there's going to be a heist. Next book will be a heist. The problem won't be the heist so much as the people he has to do the heist with. Because this is a book number that's a multiple of five, so the Denariians are back and I think we're going to get Michael off the bench as well. The poor guy! He's enjoying his retirement and you want me to start torturing him! See, you're asking me to have mercy on Harry, but Michael, yeah, throw him back in the meat grinder. That's 15, that's the next book.

This post has been edited by Eddie Dean: 18 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#55 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostEddie Dean, on 18 April 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

From the interview. Very exciting stuff.

Oooh. Skin Game. That was also the other good idea. It was gonna be Skin Game or Bag Man, it's going to depend on how I plot out the…I'm sorry, I'm going into writer space. Yeah, there's going to be a heist. Next book will be a heist. The problem won't be the heist so much as the people he has to do the heist with. Because this is a book number that's a multiple of five, so the Denariians are back and I think we're going to get Michael off the bench as well. The poor guy! He's enjoying his retirement and you want me to start torturing him! See, you're asking me to have mercy on Harry, but Michael, yeah, throw him back in the meat grinder. That's 15, that's the next book.

I really think he's determined to kill Michael, if only to remove him as a possible save-play for Harry in the Apocalogy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#56 User is offline   Hound 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Found another interview with more info about the next Dresden novel and the Cinder Spires series: http://archeddoorway.com/tag/ad-astra/
Harry becoming the Winter Knight could be one of the best things to ever happen to him (for us readers that is).

#57 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

I kinda want Lacuna to be revealed to be a tiny fitted spiky armoured flambarge-wielding badass who is also
Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#58 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostHound, on 10 May 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Found another interview with more info about the next Dresden novel and the Cinder Spires series: http://archeddoorway.com/tag/ad-astra/

'They think it’s pretty great, it’s kind of “Hornblower” meets “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”, it’s very focused on the characters, with very strong influence from Firefly I think.'

Sold!

This post has been edited by Sombra: 10 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#59 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

So is it out yet?

#60 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

No, amazons says 3 .dec 2013.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +