• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just got it!!! early discussion thread, SPOILERS in blocks

#21 User is offline   Uncia 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

End of Disc One, on 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Because this book probably takes place at the same time as OST and TCG based on the blurb.

Spoiler

I actually made a mistake (
Spoiler
Great first posts :twoguns:

#22 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Just picked up my copy (it's out now in the UK) although it'll be a few days before I can really get into it. The map is a bit bare-bones but interesting: Jacuruku appears to be a small island-continent, though its true size is impossible to guess as there's nothing else on the map to compare it to. As for location, the map places it west of Stratem and south-west of Korel, possibly south or south-west of Quon Tali (the 'Ocean of Storms' in which Malaz Island lays is marked on the map to the north-east of Jacuruku). The White Spires Ocean which lies west of Stratem and east of Kolanse (in Lether) is shown running south of Jacuruku.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#23 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

My old mock up based on yours still seems mostly correct:

Posted Image
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#24 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Reading an e-book of this.

Not blown away 40 pages in at all. It's more of the "tell, rather than show" writing.

Has ICE ever seen elephants in the jungle or ridden them? They can go almost anywhere, pushing through brush and shouldering aside small trees. Insects might bug them some, but that's what the mud coats are for. Jeez.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Early world map musings (also with post-OST version of Genabackis).

Posted Image

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#26 User is offline   joshbhoy 

• Corporal

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

About 200 pages in and have to say im quite enjoying it!

It has more of Stonewielder feel about it. Its Already much better than OST the POV's don't change quite as quickly plus his writing is much better (still not as good as SE's). I think ICE writes better when he has a free reign over a continent like he did in Stonewielder.

Plus its fun learning about Jacuruku since we really didn't have much info before about it, bar the brief stop off in ROTCG and other snippets.

This post has been edited by joshbhoy: 23 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

#27 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

Managed to get ahold of an ebook while waiting for my hard copy. That has to be the barest bones map I've seen in a Malazan book.

#28 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

End of Disc One, on 23 November 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

Managed to get ahold of an ebook while waiting for my hard copy. That has to be the barest bones map I've seen in a Malazan book.

Even barer than the TCG Kolanse map?

That's kind of disappointing. While the kind of maps we got in The Bonehunters/Reaper's Gale were perhaps more extensive than necessary, I enjoyed all of the information on them. I'm not that big of a fan of maps that only mark cities that are seen in the story, as it makes the world feel like it was created just for the sake of the story and therefore dependent upon it (rather than existing as a fully realized, independent creation).

Concerning the book, how is it turns of revelations? Without spoiling anything (other than saying yes or no to these questions, of course), are any long-standing questions answered? Is there some genuine insight into the Jacuruku, or are we just left with more questions (for example, I was so excited to read about the Stormriders in Stonewielder, yet I understood who/what they were no more at the end of the book than I did when I picked it up)? Does ICE explain anything from his earlier works (really hoping we get more on the K'rul poop-chute)?

I appreciate that the Malazan world is a collaboration between SE and ICE and that each of them have their own stories to tell, but honestly I wouldn't read ICE if it wasn't for SE. I'm not one of the people who thinks that he's a terrible writer; it's just that there's so much stuff out there to read that's better than his work. I love learning everything I can about the Malazan world, though, so I set aside my frustrations and try to enjoy it for what it is.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#29 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Here's the map (we've been allowed to do this previously so I presume it's still okay):

Posted Image

Pretty bare bones. What's quite interesting are the massive ice sheets to the north (separating Jacuruku from Seven Cities) and east (semi-separating it from Stratem).

#30 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm 70 pages in, and ICE's faults as a writer are all still present. He's improved since RotCG, but I confess that this is likely to be the last ME book I buy. It's frustrating to read passages that are actually quite decent and then have them followed by cliché-ridden infodumps from 2-D characters. It's like when ICE deviates from stuff he's gamed with SE, he can't write anything that has depth of feeling, of character, or even a decent plot.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#31 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

ebook purchases so I can browse that as a break from Peter F Hamilton

#32 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hopefully this book finally goes more into who K`azz is as a person and shows why he is considerd one of the great generals.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 23 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

#33 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Use Of Weapons, on 23 November 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I'm 70 pages in, and ICE's faults as a writer are all still present. He's improved since RotCG, but I confess that this is likely to be the last ME book I buy. It's frustrating to read passages that are actually quite decent and then have them followed by cliché-ridden infodumps from 2-D characters. It's like when ICE deviates from stuff he's gamed with SE, he can't write anything that has depth of feeling, of character, or even a decent plot.

I've no idea what he's gamed and what he's not gamed in the books - how do you know the difference?

My big thing is that he can't seem to avoid clunky infodumps or trust the reader to pick up on subtle stuff (for example, the mercs following Kallor out of expediency and some decent level of trust due to prior experiences over the past year - SE does it through dialogue, a series of small actions or a thought here or there; ICE flat out tells you that "the mercenaries trust Kallor because he has done okay over the last year").

This clumsiness happens again and again and isn't getting better. With the bursts of good writing that he puts in the books, this inconsistency gets even more maddening. I've said this before - his editor is not challenging him to fix these. ICE has not grown as a writer since ROTCG and it's because he's not being challenged to improve, not a lack of talent. The guy can write very well at times - a different flavor than SE, but similar levels of making the reader feel the experience and grasp the complexity of what's going on.

The actual plot events are fairly good. I really do like the hybrid Amazonian/African/South Asian vibe of the Himatan and its inhabitants, the "will they/won't they" dance of the desert tribe youngsters, the shard hunting detour of Skinner's four and the caper gone wrong of Spite's company.

#34 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

amphibian, on 23 November 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Use Of Weapons, on 23 November 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

It's like when ICE deviates from stuff he's gamed with SE, he can't write anything that has depth of feeling, of character, or even a decent plot.

I've no idea what he's gamed and what he's not gamed in the books - how do you know the difference?

Sorry, that was me assuming what the reason was, as otherwise I can't really see a viable explanation for the disparity. The rest of your criticisms jibe pretty well with my own.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#35 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

I just got it. And I might be anticipating the Ardata parts the most...I like spider chicks.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#36 User is offline   Malbolge 

• Corporal

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'm 50 pages in, and I'm beginning to regret not posting a topic here about a slightly crackpot theory I had in regards to the Crimson Guard, because I think it might get addressed in this book. I'll post it briefly here, just so I can say I did, if it does get addressed. Spoilers from Stonewielder follow (but nothing from Blood & Bone):

Spoiler

I can relate to the 'infodump' criticisms... I'm hoping they'll tail off when it's all brought up speed, everyone has been introduced and settled in.

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Mine just arrived!
YAY!!!

people have been posting spoilers here rather than elsethread, AND i'm not going to backtrack thru the entire upthread... thus...

MODGOD WARNING
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERSMINOR AND POSSIBLY MAJOR BLOOD AND BONE SPOILERS
IN THIS THREAD SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Uncia, on 22 November 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

End of Disc One, on 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Because this book probably takes place at the same time as OST and TCG based on the blurb.

Spoiler

I actually made a mistake (
Spoiler
Great first posts :sofa:

There's a comment early on that BAB takes place while Blues and co are off saving IB in STONEWEILDER

amphibian, on 22 November 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Reading an e-book of this.

Not blown away 40 pages in at all. It's more of the "tell, rather than show" writing.

Has ICE ever seen elephants in the jungle or ridden them? They can go almost anywhere, pushing through brush and shouldering aside small trees. Insects might bug them some, but that's what the mud coats are for. Jeez.

I must be missing something or 'reading differently' because i haven't noticed an over-abundance of infodumps.

As for the elephant thing, the point is made early that they get sick and die in the Himatan.. why assume a fictional jungle only has real-world elephant diseases?

joshbhoy, on 23 November 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

... I think ICE writes better when he has a free reign over a continent like he did in Stonewielder.

There's a similarity to SW in the 'different armies moving on one continent' aspect, and i'm curious to see whether it comes together in the end.

Malbolge, on 24 November 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

I'm 50 pages in, and I'm beginning to regret not posting a topic here about a slightly crackpot theory I had in regards to the Crimson Guard, because I think it might get addressed in this book. I'll post it briefly here, just so I can say I did, if it does get addressed....I'm not alone in this madness.

Not to rain on your threory parade Mal', but that's come up before, tho i don't think there's a ded-thread to it.
That said, i agree that there is likely something to that and am similarly curious to see where ICE goes with it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#38 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Read about half. I like ICE's characters in all of the books, and always enjoy sort of a lighter soujourn on Wu. Also the unfolding (no spoiler or surprise if youve read the other ICE's) Light-Liosan-Triss-Ardata-Avowed-Disavowed-Crippled God plot has me hooked.

#39 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Abyss, on 26 November 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

I must be missing something or 'reading differently' because i haven't noticed an over-abundance of infodumps.

They're there for the looking. Once I'm done with the book, I'll spot out the first few in the initial 50 pages. It's really a shame that he falls into this when there's sections like Spite vs. Anaconda or Kallor discussing the voodoo sorcerers with the Adwami prince. Those sections are terrifically cracking, have a great mood and show, rather than tell, what's happening, why it's happening and how the characters react to it.

#40 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Got it saturday night but only jst finished it now as the pesky gf was over distracting me. No spoilers but i feel
Spoiler

MODGOD NOTICE OF SPOILER BLOCKS ADDED
as we're pushing the limits of a 'just got it' thread now.
If you want to discuss your feelings about the whole book, start a new thread.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 26 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users