• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2701 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:55 PM

Is this the droid you're looking for?

Taika Waititi's 'Star Wars' Movie Will Reject Pre-Existing Characters and Origins: 'Expand the World

#2702 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 June 2022 - 12:44 PM

Well that was a SPECTACULAR finale.

My gods...I don't think I've enjoyed Disney+ Star Wars content on that level ever, even the best episodes of MANDO are not QUITE as good as this was. But then Obi-Wan has always been my fave Jedi.

Let's dig in.

MAJOR SPOILERS, do not click unless you've seen it!

Spoiler

45 years and Star Wars can still reduce me to a little kid watching my heroes fight the good fight.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 June 2022 - 12:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2703 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:16 PM

I think the next topic that needs to be explored and given a series is a boot camp type situation where we follow new enlistments as they train to be Stormtroopers. We need to get to the bottom of why they are such shit aims with their pew pew pew blaster rifles. I mean, what's the deal? Expediting their processing through training to fulfill need of boots on the ground at the expense of well trained infantry? What up?

#2704 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 June 2022 - 05:29 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 June 2022 - 08:16 PM, said:

I think the next topic that needs to be explored and given a series is a boot camp type situation where we follow new enlistments as they train to be Stormtroopers. We need to get to the bottom of why they are such shit aims with their pew pew pew blaster rifles. I mean, what's the deal? Expediting their processing through training to fulfill need of boots on the ground at the expense of well trained infantry? What up?

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2705 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 June 2022 - 09:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 June 2022 - 12:44 PM, said:

Well that was a SPECTACULAR finale.

My gods...I don't think I've enjoyed Disney+ Star Wars content on that level ever, even the best episodes of MANDO are not QUITE as good as this was. But then Obi-Wan has always been my fave Jedi.

Let's dig in.

MAJOR SPOILERS, do not click unless you've seen it!

Spoiler

45 years and Star Wars can still reduce me to a little kid watching my heroes fight the good fight.

I too loved this series but can't write quite so elegantly or with as much knowledge as QT so I'll just just say "yep!"

Actually
Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2706 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 June 2022 - 11:13 AM

We are planning a trip to Galaxy's Edge with the kiddos in the fall, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was kind of exited!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2707 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 June 2022 - 01:08 PM

I'd like to make a small concession.

About THE LAST JEDI

I think my upset about it blinded me to a really poignant part of it.

Kylo Ren is MISERABLE after he asks Rey to join him and she refuses. I've NEVER noticed this (I've only seen the movie once, so you'll have to forgive me). He basically gives her the Vader/Emperor offer and she refuses him and it makes him miserable. Coupled with another thing...when Luke's image tells Leia that "no one is gone forever"....I think I assumed he was talking about himself to his sister, and maybe Han....but fuck me...he's talking about Kylo. He KNOWS Ben can be redeemed. This allows me to think Luke spent like 6 years being shitty, but has finally figured it out that no one is bad forever....and I CAN'T believe I never noticed this in the film....I think I always thought that Rian was hell bent on Kylo being the big bad..but he wasn't. The last act of his film shows that Kylo is not only pulled to the light still, but his Master feels he's redeemable.

This changes a BIG reason I didn't like the movie. And now I feel like I might be able to watch it (in portions) and not hate it outright.

I still dislike MANY aspects of it, and most of those won't change and I still don't like Rian Johnson as a person (I think he's a smug shit)...but I can find things to like about this film now.

So this is me like 5 years later, being conciliatory about a movie I hated, and saying I don't hate it as much as I did, and there is value in parts of it.

There. Have at me, everyone who I raged at about this movie. I deserve it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 June 2022 - 01:09 PM

#2708 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 June 2022 - 05:06 PM

I... Wow...

Never thought I'd see the day! :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2709 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 June 2022 - 07:12 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 24 June 2022 - 05:06 PM, said:

I... Wow...

Never thought I'd see the day! :D

No one more surprised than I. 😂

#2710 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 June 2022 - 07:53 PM

Nope. Dont care. Still shite.

Wrapping up Kenobi tonight, middle episodes were much better than the beginning.

But by god, i swear they're taking this stormtrooper bad shot thing to an entirely new level.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2711 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 June 2022 - 01:54 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 June 2022 - 07:53 PM, said:

But by god, I swear they're taking this stormtrooper bad shot thing to an entirely new level.

... they get worse? :o

I was waiting for them all to drop so I could have the option of binging if I liked it.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2712 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 June 2022 - 02:48 AM

It’s done so go for it. Me personally I’m going to do my very best to forget I ever saw it.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2713 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 June 2022 - 05:59 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 June 2022 - 07:53 PM, said:

Nope. Dont care. Still shite.

Wrapping up Kenobi tonight, middle episodes were much better than the beginning.

But by god, i swear they're taking this stormtrooper bad shot thing to an entirely new level.

If only it was limited to the troopers…we get
Spoiler

#2714 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:30 PM

Ok, I wrapped up Kenobi last night.

I’m somewhere in between you two. I liked most of the storylines, but thought the confrontation around the dunes was pointless and not well done.

What throws me off about these series is how poorly things are done, or how pointless, or how we’re just supposed to accept that these stupid things are ok and move on.

Reva parkouring to nowhere, the chase through the woods with Leia, 100+ Stormtroopers opening fire on a cluster of rebels standing in the open and not hitting anything for 10 seconds, a freighter that can somehow take more direct hits than a star destroyer, etc. (there’s many more head scratchers)

There’s just so many poorly done things that it drastically distracts from the good. Book of BF was the same.

But the Vader/Obi Wan in the finale. Pretty damn good.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2715 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 26 June 2022 - 05:38 AM

Obi Wan some overall thoughts. I have plenty more just don't know if I have the care for this show to list more things after this or not.

Spoiler

#2716 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 July 2022 - 12:30 PM

Re-watched SOLO for the first time since the theatre and I am surprised at just how much I love it. It's REALLY good, and between this and ROGUE ONE consider me extra sad they didn't continue to keep making the Anthology films. Like I would love to see Lando and Han (and Chewie) from SOLO show up on any further season of OBI-WAN they do....especially since Han and Chewie are clearly going to Tatooine to work for Jabba (as Beckett mentioned in SOLO), and Qi'Ra is summoned to Dathomir to work with Maul...so there you have a second season. Obi-Wan helps Han and Chewie and Lando take down Maul's Crimson Dawn crime syndicate, and that's how he knows they are worthy to help him and Luke in ANH get off-world when he sees them in Moe Eisley Cantina.

Just a thought.

#2717 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 04:02 AM

Just finished OBI WAN KENOBI.
I really enjoyed that.
And the finale....
Spoiler

Great fun series, very entertaining, I hope they do more.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2718 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:13 PM

Finished Obi Wan, finally.

Spoiler

I liked it and it got better and better as it went on. But yeah, the shooting was immersion spoiling baaaaaaaad.

@QT - I really liked Kylo Ren in a re-watch. He's like an emo Vader (and Vader is pretty emo). Ren takes it to the next level. And on the one hand it's irritating and lazy writing, but on the other hand, he's 100% invested in it so I could go with it. He's so desperate to be awesome and then so desperate to have Rey agree he's awesome. He's a lost little boy because he's been manipulated so terribly. It's Shakespearean and Adam Driver did brilliantly with it. Sure it if it had been more nuanced it would have elevated it but ... Star Wars.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 15 July 2022 - 10:21 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2719 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 27 July 2022 - 09:05 PM

#2720 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king