• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2621 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:35 PM

Just watched The Book of Boba Fett ep 1. Good stuff, although giving Boba's back story is a two-edged sword as in it humanises him a little bit too much IMHO.
He should just stay an awesome semi-mythic character who causes people to crap their pants and look about fearfully at the mere mention of his name.
Before dropping in occasionally to remind people why.

The background doco (22 min I think) is an interesting watch too, well worth it for any SW fan.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 29 December 2021 - 01:36 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2622 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:07 PM

Don't worry, he's actually a space alien from an entirely different galaxy, so humanizing him is actually itself quite alienating from that perspective.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2623 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:09 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 December 2021 - 01:35 PM, said:

Just watched The Book of Boba Fett ep 1. Good stuff, although giving Boba's back story is a two-edged sword as in it humanises him a little bit too much IMHO.
He should just stay an awesome semi-mythic character who causes people to crap their pants and look about fearfully at the mere mention of his name.
Before dropping in occasionally to remind people why.

The background doco (22 min I think) is an interesting watch too, well worth it for any SW fan.

Agreed on it being a solid ep. Morrison does a great job and o wonder at what sort of mystery they will set up beyond Fett and Shand vying to hold power in the face of other criminal obstacles.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2624 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:07 AM

What a great second episode!

Love the world building and development of the Tuskens. Great pacing.

And those cameos...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2625 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:28 AM

View PostTraveller, on 06 January 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

And those cameos...

Hmmm ...it was OK, a little too much "Dances with Tuskens" though.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2626 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2022 - 01:22 PM

View PostTraveller, on 06 January 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

And those cameos...

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2627 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:12 PM

I am undecided on certain aspects of ep 3. Some of it was great. Some of it was very much like a clone wars episode which would have worked in animation but looked bad in rl. It was also a pointless chase as Boba just used his jetpack.

I'm really looking forward to some masked Fett action like the Mando episode, this is his own show after all.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2628 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:53 PM

The Power Rangers/Griff Tannen BTTF2 bikers sequence was...amusing but not in a good way.

#2629 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 January 2022 - 01:53 PM, said:

The Power Rangers/Griff Tannen BTTF2 bikers sequence was...amusing but not in a good way.

I was with it until that point. It was just so slow. Sort of cringy bad. Then I started feeling a bit embarrassed for the show because it just gave any doubters all the reason they'd need to quit it there.

I'm more annoyed about the Tuskens. What an utter waste of such a great set up and character investment.

#2630 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:23 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 January 2022 - 03:10 PM, said:

I'm more annoyed about the Tuskens. What an utter waste of such a great set up and character investment.

Yep, best part of the show iced WAY too early. I don't think Favreau anticipated that the flashbacks would be everyone's fave part.

#2631 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:22 PM

It would have been just about ok if the present day had been more like the Boba in the mando episodes. He just walked in and shot Bib Fortuna. I guess they're lining everything up for Qu'ira or another Solo related syndicate, even Solo, but Fett should have just killed that Mayor's assistant.

#2632 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:31 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 January 2022 - 05:22 PM, said:

It would have been just about ok if the present day had been more like the Boba in the mando episodes. He just walked in and shot Bib Fortuna. I guess they're lining everything up for Qu'ira or another Solo related syndicate, even Solo, but Fett should have just killed that Mayor's assistant.

The thing that I think bothers me most is that Fett calls himself a Daimyo (hearkening back to the Japanese origins of much of Lucas's Star Wars)...but doesn't act like one. Like I get that they want to humanize him and make him into this dude who's seen enough death to kind of want to move past it...but you don't get to be a Daimyo of anything if you refuse to take out the people nearest you who mean you harm. The mayor's assistant should have been killed in that first episode. Like I get he doesn't want to rule by fear like Jabba did....but there's a difference between killing anyone who looks at you funny like Jabba, and killing the threats in your orbit.

A real daimyo would absolutely kill threats in their orbit.

It all makes me feel like we're watching a guy struggle to change his stripes from his bounty hunter days...and maybe that's the point? Maybe we are meant to watch him struggle t be that, and in the next episode he'll just realize he is who he is?

I dunno. I don't see what the endgame is at this point.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 January 2022 - 05:40 PM

#2633 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:24 PM

Part of the problem for me is that you just can't see what he's up against 3 full episodes in.

Spoiler

At least they have strong supporting cast with Matt Berry and then the new addition that came with his gift this episode. But let's be honest, who didn't cheer as soon as they spotted him?

#2634 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:02 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 January 2022 - 05:31 PM, said:

Hard to even see the point so far.

It also feels a bit childish or something? Not a badass bounty hunter taking over a criminal enterprise which at least I kinda expected, even if it is disney it could be a bit more...

This post has been edited by Chance: 14 January 2022 - 08:02 AM

#2635 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2022 - 02:25 PM

View PostChance, on 14 January 2022 - 08:02 AM, said:

Hard to even see the point so far.

It also feels a bit childish or something? Not a badass bounty hunter taking over a criminal enterprise which at least I kinda expected, even if it is disney it could be a bit more...

It's weird, I expected more out of Favreau. I mean maybe he's playing the long game, but yeah at this point this show is just kind of "there". It's not a dud or anything, but it's very rote.

#2636 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:02 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 January 2022 - 05:22 PM, said:

The thing that I think bothers me most is that Fett calls himself a Daimyo (hearkening back to the Japanese origins of much of Lucas's Star Wars)...but doesn't act like one. Like I get that they want to humanize him and make him into this dude who's seen enough death to kind of want to move past it...but you don't get to be a Daimyo of anything if you refuse to take out the people nearest you who mean you harm. The mayor's assistant should have been killed in that first episode. Like I get he doesn't want to rule by fear like Jabba did....but there's a difference between killing anyone who looks at you funny like Jabba, and killing the threats in your orbit.

A real daimyo would absolutely kill threats in their orbit.

It all makes me feel like we're watching a guy struggle to change his stripes from his bounty hunter days...and maybe that's the point? Maybe we are meant to watch him struggle t be that, and in the next episode he'll just realize he is who he is?

Reading Shogun at the same time probably highlights the problem. Daimyos and Lords were all samurai class - top of the feudal system through blood. Using the name in SWs is a bit odd; as is Boba saying he wants the respect without the fear. He stops Fenec from shooting anyone, and doesn't call himself a bounty hunter anymore - why is anyone going to give him respect and tribute?
If he takes a title like that he needs to provide protection to subjects, and his palace is all but empty apart from 2 bodyguards, and now his weird little mod gang. To control a city.

He could really use a shitload of Tuskens to fill that palace. If only he'd formed a connection with some and been initiated into their culture...

#2637 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 January 2022 - 07:36 PM

Is this a serious project or is this a wind up? If it's real, man, I might actually watch one of these new Star Wars shows/movies.

Question for you Boba Fett viewers. Sounds like it's not all that good, but how is Ming-Na Wen in it?

#2638 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:31 PM

To rule tattooine he will need dessert power! He will unite the tribes, and fight the pikes, to keep the spice flowing.

I’m not sure we are done with tusken

#2639 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:51 AM

Not sure I want Knights of Ren even if that trailer looks a bit fun.

But that would connect directly to the "new" trilogy which should just be forgotten I think :D until Disney can do what really happened in a few years and pass those three movies on to an alternative reality or something :)

View PostMalankazooie, on 14 January 2022 - 07:36 PM, said:

Question for you Boba Fett viewers. Sounds like it's not all that good, but how is Ming-Na Wen in it?

No one is exactly impressive in the series so far, so as lackluster as the rest?

The show is watchable but not much more so far, if you're not in for some Star Wars nostalgia I don't think it would be worth watching.

This post has been edited by Chance: 15 January 2022 - 06:53 AM

#2640 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:56 PM

I don't know about all that. I personally enjoyed the last trilo films for what they provided - simple entertainment for children that adults can munch popcorn to and enjoy the ride. I go into anything Star Wars with a low bar of expectations, so I'm not at all bothered by expanded universe inconsistencies and such. Hell, I'm not at all invested in it like that and have no knowledge of those types of aggravations a devoted lifelong fan lets bother them.

I just want something like Knights of Ren to take SW to brutal and violent territory. Wishful thinking and will never happen, but the world needs an R rated Star Wars.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users