• Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 September 2021 - 01:04 PM

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 24 September 2021 - 06:01 AM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 23 September 2021 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 23 September 2021 - 05:00 PM, said:

View PostD, on 23 September 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 23 September 2021 - 04:23 PM, said:

And I think I was wrong yesterday? This is like Marvel What If and not official canon right cause that shit in 3 was way to crazy for normal SW.?!

Does Star Wars even have a consistent canon now? Even post-Disney haven't some of the TV shows conflicted with the new movies?

In any case, yeah, none of this is officially canon. Some of them could definitely fit into the universe just fine, others not so much.

Disney threw all the good canon stuff into legends and replaced it with all its own silly stuff, which I still refuse to accept.
Considering that, I don't think the stuff in 3 was so far fetched (okay some of it, but with enough explanation it could still fit..)

Spoiler

I mean it was great, but I dread to think what you think is far fetched!

Palpatine creating a clone of himself and transferring his consciousness into it via "dark magics" is far fetched for me. And didn't Leia also survive in space without a breathing apparatus? Also far fetched for me. So considering what dumb shit Disney has already put in the movies...

But yeah, I agree not all of it made sense. And so far #3 was my least favourite one (of the first 3 I've watched).

Far fetched? Eh, it's not like it's something new in Star Wars. This year it's actually 30 years ago it happened the first time.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#2602 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

Just watched #4 and #5 of Visions. Really liked the fifth one, just the whole concept of something happening far off in the future (or past, from movie timeline) is fascinating.

View PostPrimateus, on 26 September 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

Palpatine creating a clone of himself and transferring his consciousness into it via "dark magics" is far fetched for me. And didn't Leia also survive in space without a breathing apparatus? Also far fetched for me. So considering what dumb shit Disney has already put in the movies...

But yeah, I agree not all of it made sense. And so far #3 was my least favourite one (of the first 3 I've watched).

Far fetched? Eh, it's not like it's something new in Star Wars. This year it's actually 30 years ago it happened the first time.

That might've been the wrong word, maybe 'silly' is more accurate?

This post has been edited by Not-So-Great-Raven: 28 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

#2603 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:39 PM

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 28 September 2021 - 12:17 PM, said:

Just watched #4 and #5 of Visions. Really liked the fifth one, just the whole concept of something happening far off in the future (or past, from movie timeline) is fascinating.

View PostPrimateus, on 26 September 2021 - 01:04 PM, said:

That might've been the wrong word, maybe 'silly' is more accurate?

About The Twins/#3? Yes, silly, over-the-top ridiculousness... that's Hiroyuki Imaishi's whole brand. He did an entire show about people who pilot robots, but then those robots get into and pilot bigger robots, then those robots get into the pilot chair of even bigger robots, all the way up until the moon is a giant robot. He followed that up with a show inspired by 1970s/80s school delinquent movies where sentient clothing tries to take over the world. If, instead of Star Wars, Disney had gone to him and said "Hey, you wanna make a Jungle Book short film?" he'd still have found a way to end it in a huge explosion in space. They knew what they were getting when they asked him.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2604 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2605 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:02 PM

Wow, that is some piss-poor CGI at the beginning with that spider. And the rest served up a heaping serving of meh. Big pass for me, but knock yourself silly. Enjoy.

#2606 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 November 2021 - 02:46 PM, said:

Cool. Is this a replacement for The Mandalorian or something that will run in between alternating seasons?

I've got to say, my enjoyment of the Mandalorian diminished greatly once the Mandalorian started taking his mask off all the time and being all conflicted about shit. A faceless bounty hunter getting into pulpy adventures was much more interesting.

#2607 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on 01 November 2021 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 November 2021 - 02:46 PM, said:

Cool. Is this a replacement for The Mandalorian or something that will run in between alternating seasons?

This is separate from MANDO S3.

There is also the KENOBI show coming next year, and the AHSOKA show both of which will feature the return of Hayden Christiansen as Anakin/Vader. And while KENOBI obviously won't intersect with MANDO or FETT for obvious reasons....AHSOKA very much probably will.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2608 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 01 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

Huh? Isn't Boba Fett dead!?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2609 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 01 November 2021 - 07:50 PM

View PostCyphon, on 01 November 2021 - 07:41 PM, said:

Huh? Isn't Boba Fett dead!?

I see someone hasn't been keeping up with The Mandolorian. Fett's return is explained in season 2.

This post has been edited by JPK: 01 November 2021 - 07:50 PM

#2610 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 01 November 2021 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, kid took all my time. I suspect by the time I have time the metaverse will be so big I'm sure it will be tricky to get back in...
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2611 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2021 - 05:40 PM

Watched a little bit of Revenge of the Sith before heading out. Been awhile since I've watched it, but I think it might be the favorite of the middle trilogy, which isn't saying a lot to be honest. You know what really jumps out at me watching parts of it again? And hooboy it is very obvious- there is like zero on screen chemistry between Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen. I wonder how he'll do in the upcoming Disney shows? His IMDB page is rather sparse. I think he may have stalled his career with his performance in SW (and lol, Jumper, remember that one?)

Also, every time I see Samuel L. Jackson in these SW movies, I keep expecting him to say - "may the mothafuckin' force be with us" (or cleaned up version- "may the Monday to Friday force be with us"

https://www.youtube....h?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

#2612 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:13 PM

Finally watched Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Why was it called that? Star Wars: The Last Hope would have been more accurate and would have been an appropriate bookend to the first (A New Hope). If I had my way, I would have had a completly different ending and the title of my movie would be Star Wars: Palps Smears Them All.

Anyway, I enjoyed it for the most part because I went in without any preconceived expectations. Although when examining this final trilogy, I feel it started off strong (Force Awakens) but by the time we get to Rise it seems lost and there is a good bit of discontinuity that comes across with this last three. Some characters seemed to have been greatly diminished and marginalized.

Some general stream of conscious thoughts about the movie:

- The droids were the true heroes.
- When Palpatine is charged up, he's pretty scary.
- Do you guys think Chewie chews chewing gum?
- When in doubt, throw in a rave scene, a la Matrix Reloaded.
- This final trilogy really leaned in hard to pull off analogs to the key characters and memorable aspects of the original trilogy.
- Pew pew pew... pa-pa-pa-pew!
- Would you guys drop all resistance and just join the dark side? I would. I think it would be a better life and more fun, tbh.
- When the Star Destoyers make the scene you just know they aint to be fucked with. When you see those suckers with the big red helmets commandeering those that means it's your ass.
- I was confused about the Palpatine deal, maybe a nerd can explain to me how that worked.
- And piggybacking off that, they could ostensibly bring anyone back, right? Will we see Natalie Portman as Padmay Amuhdolla in one of the shows Disney has in the pipeline? That'd be cool.

I guess the main take away after watching Rise of Skywalker is that these films are great for showcasing creative design and sfx, and imaginative sets and alien races et.al. I found myself, like a little kid, going, "did you see that alien!" But they aren't much more than that, which I'm fine with. It's a big, warm sfx hug that hearkens back to a more innocent time.

#2613 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:47 AM

Re: Ahsoka. There was a casting announcement that hasn't been discussed here yet!

Spoiler

Credit to Wert for reporting on the blog.

#2614 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

View PostJPK, on 28 November 2021 - 12:47 AM, said:

Re: Ahsoka. There was a casting announcement that hasn't been discussed here yet!

Spoiler

Credit to Wert for reporting on the blog.

That's a fascinating development that makes me wonder if they're picking up any part of the story from the end of REBELS.

Speaking o which, it's taken nearly two years to get around to it,
but i Just Finished marathoning the back half of REBELS season 4 and OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO SO FRIKKING GREAT.

Seriously, brilliant storytelling all around. The cast - the beautiful beautiful glorious cast, their character arcs, the overarching plot of the early days of the Rebellion, the action, the feels, Chopper massacring Stormtroopers all over the place THIS WAS SO GREAT.

I can even overlook the last bit that made no sense whatsoever i don't care i loved it.

Also watched the first SW: VISIONS short, 'DUEL'. That was neat. Loved the animation style and the titular duel did not dissappoint.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2615 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:59 PM

In other Star Wars related news Dark Horse is getting the comics license back after losing it to Marvel back around 2015ish.

https://www.starwars...comics-announce

To confuse things even more, Marvel is keeping the license too. DH is doing High Republic stuff while Marvel continues doing what they've been doing, fairly well by most reports, since they took it circa The Force Awakens.

This should be either immensely funny or frustrating for anyone familiar with the history of Star Wars and comics.

#2616 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:38 AM

I'm surprised by the news.

Maybe I'm viewing things through a nostalgia lens, but I always felt the Dark Horse era SW comics have a charm that is completely absent from the Disney owned Marvel comics.

#2617 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:20 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 01 December 2021 - 06:38 AM, said:

Maybe I'm viewing things through a nostalgia lens, but I always felt the Dark Horse era SW comics have a charm that is completely absent from the Disney owned Marvel comics.

Oh you’re not wrong. Dark horse era is SO much better.

#2618 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 December 2021 - 10:20 AM, said:

Oh you're not wrong. Dark horse era is SO much better.

Counterpoint: The DH era it has its high points, but speaking as someone who bought and (tried to) read most of that MASSIVE megabundle when they handed off to Marvel, i found there was a LOT of low. Four and six part LS' that could have been two parters, stuff that was clearly made up on the fly and later writers stuck with, shameless sequelitis (dear gods DARK EMPIRE went from glorious high to wtf-were-they-thinking-low).
I wouldn't say, based on my fairly cursory read so far, that the Marvel 2015-present run has been without flaw, but overall it's been tighter, more coherent, and a lot less padded.

#2619 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 December 2021 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 December 2021 - 10:20 AM, said:

Oh you're not wrong. Dark horse era is SO much better.

Counterpoint: The DH era it has its high points, but speaking as someone who bought and (tried to) read most of that MASSIVE megabundle when they handed off to Marvel, i found there was a LOT of low. Four and six part LS' that could have been two parters, stuff that was clearly made up on the fly and later writers stuck with, shameless sequelitis (dear gods DARK EMPIRE went from glorious high to wtf-were-they-thinking-low).
I wouldn't say, based on my fairly cursory read so far, that the Marvel 2015-present run has been without flaw, but overall it's been tighter, more coherent, and a lot less padded.

Put it this way, nothing in the Marvel era comes anywhere close to touching LEGACY or KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. For those titles alone, the DH era is better by leaps and bounds to me.

Add in DARK AGE, CRIMSON EMPIRE, INFINITIES, and PURGE, AGENT OF THE EMPIRE and the re-imagining of the whole thing with THE STAR WARS....and DH stands far ahead even with the misses.

#2620 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:19 AM

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users