• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2761 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 December 2022 - 01:23 PM

Finally got into ANDOR, and while I like it...the actual heist episode (the one with the celestial event as cover) was one of the most frustrating episodes of TV I've ever watched. It almost made me irrationally angry.

They go into the base to steal payroll credits....they bust in and have a few minutes...the set design is insufferable because it's a whole long hallway of MASSIVE pyramidal stacks of these heavy ass things, like so much more than they could EVER take...an dog course they don't. They make a small dent in the riches and then they fuck off.

But there was a whole episode about how they were setting a higher course than just thievery. They wanted to upset the Empire's workings by fucking with payroll...but stealing a small fraction of those credits seems so stupid to me....instead they should have had a smaller amount of the things, and let them take ALL of them. THAT at least would make sense....why would the empire not just send more credits to cover the store ones for payroll....it's a massive empire FFS...

Like I said, enjoying the show, but that episode was AWFUL.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2762 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 16 December 2022 - 04:58 PM

I think they underestimated what they would find. It was clear the mission was a risk and almost got cancelled. So they probably decided to just do what they could. I also think they expected more time, they didn't figure the Comms guy would see something was wrong so quickly (the Empire being smug, self satisfied and thus lazy).

Sure the amount stolen was chump change for the Empire but it was the perceived loss of image that pissed them off. At least that's how I read it.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2763 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2022 - 09:09 PM

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Fair enough.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2764 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:09 AM

Was it the first major injection of cash to the start of the Rebellion?

Like venture capitalists and startups, really. ;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 December 2022 - 12:09 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2765 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:43 AM

So due to the Lego Star Wars game, my 4 year old is getting into SW now!

Two things: the revelation of Vader being Luke Skywalker's father was a delight to see in him, so adorable!

Secondly, he can never remember Darth Vader's name so he's like "I'm being the black bad guy in Star Wars!" I'm sure that's going to be awkward when he says it in other company haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2766 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:50 PM

We watched A New Hope when my son was 4 and he wasn't keen. He is 6 now and kids at school talk about Star Wars so he thinks he likes it. We watched it again today and he loved it. Tempted to bin off my plans for tomorrow and watch Empire Strikes Back!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2767 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 31 December 2022 - 05:39 PM

We've finished the original trilogy. He loved it and it felt so Christmassy because these movies were always on tv at Christmas time when I was a kid. Back in the glory days of only 4 TV channels so you watched what was on.

#2768 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 January 2023 - 07:51 PM

Triple post! Now we have done Episodes I to III. He loved watching Anakin go bad but he was pretty confused otherwise.

Why have the goodies got the baddies ships?

Why are they playing the baddie music when they are the goodies?

Why did the stormtroopers turn to the dark side?

I tried my best to explain but it didn't go well. We will wait to do the newest trilogy - I had to wait over 30 years, he's not getting them all in 3 weeks, I feel it would be bad for the soul. An uncomfortable number of limbs get chopped off in these movies though.

#2769 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 03 January 2023 - 07:51 PM, said:

Triple post! Now we have done Episodes I to III. He loved watching Anakin go bad but he was pretty confused otherwise.

Why have the goodies got the baddies ships?

Why are they playing the baddie music when they are the goodies?

Why did the stormtroopers turn to the dark side?

I tried my best to explain but it didn't go well. We will wait to do the newest trilogy - I had to wait over 30 years, he's not getting them all in 3 weeks, I feel it would be bad for the soul. An uncomfortable number of limbs get chopped off in these movies though.

I could see how at that age, watching 3-6 and then 1-3 would be confusing.

Conversely, my 6 years old nephew was recently shown the movies in Chronological order 1-6 (he's not seen the Sequels yet) and he got it all, understood the transition. I watched ATOC with him on Boxing Day, he liked that one the best since it had so many Jedi and he loved the Yoda sequence VS Dooku.

#2770 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:53 AM

So I'm very late to the party because we finally caved and got Disney+ over Christmas.

We watched all of OBI WAN in two days. Loved it. Honestly nothing negative to say, it was great fun.

Two episodes into THE MANDALORIAN now. Hooked :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#2771 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2023 - 01:42 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 January 2023 - 09:53 AM, said:

So I'm very late to the party because we finally caved and got Disney+ over Christmas.

We watched all of OBI WAN in two days. Loved it. Honestly nothing negative to say, it was great fun.

You have so much great content to watch. The rest of MANDO, CLONE WARS Finale Season, VISIONS (this is the Star Wars Elseworlds anthology, it's lovely), and TALES OF THE JEDI...

Glad you liked OBI-WAN, what an ending, eh?

#2772 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 January 2023 - 01:42 PM, said:

You have so much great content to watch. The rest of MANDO, CLONE WARS Finale Season, VISIONS (this is the Star Wars Elseworlds anthology, it's lovely), and TALES OF THE JEDI...

Absolutely!

Can't believe what a cracking job the little actress playing Leia did too!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#2773 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:44 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 January 2023 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 January 2023 - 01:42 PM, said:

Absolutely!

Can't believe what a cracking job the little actress playing Leia did too!

She was incredible.

I loved this bit:

Spoiler

#2774 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:36 PM

Just wait until you get to Andor. I put it #2 after Empire Strikes Back. Mandalorian is wonderful.

#2775 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 January 2023 - 02:44 PM, said:

She was incredible.

I loved this bit:

Spoiler

Yes, that was really lovely and Ewan McGregor sells it beautifully.

View Postflea, on 04 January 2023 - 03:36 PM, said:

Just wait until you get to Andor. I put it #2 after Empire Strikes Back. Mandalorian is wonderful.

Can't wait!

We've got one episode of Mandalorian left in series 1..... things have ramped up all of a sudden!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 12 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#2776 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 January 2023 - 09:40 PM

Finally started Andor. Oh wow you guys weren't kidding this is something special.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2777 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 March 2023 - 03:04 PM

So this article came out today: https://variety.com/...ved-1235545774/

And I'm not at all surprised, but while everyone is freaking out that Disney/LFL "still don't know what they are doing", and rumours of Filoni/Favreau clashing with Kat Kennedy over creative choices, ect. I feel like it's getting lost what they are ACTUALLY doing.

It sounds like AHSOKA TV show will be going to wherever Thrawn, Ezra, and the Space Whales went to. This place has been called The New Beyond. Like out of the Star Wars galaxy as we know it entirely into an area of space not known by Empire, Republic, or any of that infrastructure. It will be a NEW Galaxy entirely, with new planets and threats and what have you.

Into that will now go Ahsoka, Sabine, Ezra, Thrawn, Din Djarin, Grogu, possibly some of the Mandalorians like Bo-Katan, and anyone else that has been established on the Disney+ side of Star Wars building off the OT and PT but moving into its own direction entirely. Want the non-Skywalker Star Wars saga? This is it going forward. This cast ill make up the people we will not only follow in the TV shows but in the movies going forward too. Ezra will be the new Jedi Master training younger Jedi...and establishing his version of the Order.

From what I understand SKELETON CREW is the show that will be the set in the New Beyond area first tinelinewise, and AHSOKA will go there later in that timeline.

Filoni was actually pretty specific that those stuff won't cross with the Sequels by saying "they will be somewhere else"....

I also feel like the third act of The High Republic will feed into this too, but I don't know how yet.

Anyways, let's see where this goes.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 March 2023 - 03:17 PM

#2778 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 March 2023 - 04:37 PM

The concept is intriguing, the cast and budget encouraging.
SW has an iffy track record when attempting to move far away from the Galaxy Far Far Away... in books and comics those stories have tended to be mid to meh and end up cancelled/remaindered. I'm uncertain tv and film efforts are likely to fare better but willing to watch.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2779 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 March 2023 - 05:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 March 2023 - 04:37 PM, said:

SW has an iffy track record when attempting to move far away from the Galaxy Far Far Away... in books and comics those stories have tended to be mid to meh and end up cancelled/remaindered. I'm uncertain tv and film efforts are likely to fare better but willing to watch.

Yeah, that's about where I sit. I'm enjoying the TV content and characters, and I'm happy if they try something new. I'll wait and see what it looks like before passing any judgement.

#2780 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 March 2023 - 06:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 March 2023 - 05:08 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 March 2023 - 04:37 PM, said:

Yeah, that's about where I sit. I'm enjoying the TV content and characters, and I'm happy if they try something new. I'll wait and see what it looks like before passing any judgement.

Yah, we're not problem. It's the hordes who will slam the concept from the outset who will drag it down.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users