• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2781 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 March 2023 - 06:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 March 2023 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 March 2023 - 05:08 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 March 2023 - 04:37 PM, said:

The concept is intriguing, the cast and budget encouraging.
SW has an iffy track record when attempting to move far away from the Galaxy Far Far Away... in books and comics those stories have tended to be mid to meh and end up cancelled/remaindered. I'm uncertain tv and film efforts are likely to fare better but willing to watch.

Yeah, that's about where I sit. I'm enjoying the TV content and characters, and I'm happy if they try something new. I'll wait and see what it looks like before passing any judgement.

Yah, we're not problem. It's the hordes who will slam the concept from the outset who will drag it down.

Honestly, if it's Ahsoka, Ezra, Sabine, plus Mando and Grogu and Bo-Katan and Jude Law's Skeleton Crew captain....I could see that being the thing that unites the disparate levels of fandom.

Like the OT? Cool, Mando and Grogu are there. Like the Prequels? Cool, Ahsoka and Co are there. Like the Sequels? There will be new stuff here to explore like the Sequels KIND of attempted. Like the ragtag group in space dynamic? Cool, Skeleton Crew Avec Mes Jude Law.

It FEELS like a pretty cool idea honestly. But we'll see how it shakes out. SKELETON CREW and ASHOKA are both debuting this year (no idea which is first), but I'll wager AHSOKA since it finished shooting before SKELETON CREW shot (it finished in Jan of this year)...either way both shows are set in this New Beyond...so by years end we will have an idea what the future looks like.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2782 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:17 PM

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

https://youtu.be/IJQr3DIXBoQ
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2783 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 April 2023 - 05:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 April 2023 - 03:17 PM, said:

I mean, where do you even start with this? There's so much good here.

I can't believe she said THE THING.

#2784 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 April 2023 - 05:14 PM

View PostJPK, on 07 April 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 April 2023 - 03:17 PM, said:

I mean, where do you even start with this? There's so much good here.

I can't believe she said THE THING.

Yes...why can't we make it august now!

Just when I'm getting a bit disillusioned by the recent star wars offerings this drops. Looks pretty much like the star wars series a lot of people have been waiting for the jedi are kind of central to the franchise.

This post has been edited by Chance: 07 April 2023 - 05:16 PM

#2785 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 April 2023 - 05:28 PM

Spoiler

#2786 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 April 2023 - 06:18 PM

Chopper! Hera! Huyang! Sabine! THRAAAAAAWN!

#2787 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 April 2023 - 12:07 PM

Okay, now that I'm at a proper computer VS my tablet, here's a proper rundown of the Celebration stuff that I wanted to talk about.

AHSOKA trailer (extended and the normal one)

So a few things. Ahsoka's skill with her lightsabers and the force is NEXT FUCKING LEVEL....like force throwing them into the stone, and then spinning then around her to drop into the temple? Bro....amazing. Also, that Hail Mary jump out the window and the superhero landing below? Dooooooooooope. The flair is incredible.

Seeing the REBELS crew, Sabine, Ezra (hologram), Hera, and Chop? Amazing. I so hope for a Kanan force ghost cameo...considering that during Rey's "I am all the Jedi" moment in TROS we heard Kanan twice....this seems like it's very doable in-universe...and I guarantee a superfan like Freddie Prinze Jr would do it.

The World Between Worlds not only showing up, but a fight happening there? Dope.

Speaking of...Baylen Skoll (Ray Stevenson), and Shin Hati (Ivanna Sakhno) with their red-orange lightsabers....look and sound incredible. I have another comment regarding them, but first....

Ahsoka says about Thrawn "...as Heir To The Empire"....yeah....12 year old me burst into tears hearing that. I'm not at all joking...the emotions poured out of me. When there was no new Star Wars on the horizon and the prequels were not even yet a whisper in GL's head.....12 year old me read and re-read my copies of Timothy Zahn's post-ROTJ trilogy till they were ragged. They kept this old Star Wars fan company...This is a big deal to me.

Now, I realize that it's not going to be HEIR as I know it, with Luke, Leia, and Han and Chewie...but I am SUPER excited to see that story ported into existing canon as Ahsoka, The Rebels crew, and probably down the line the Mandalorian crew...

There are major hints about this starting with Thrawn reportedly being the one who rescued Gideon and it's his warriors who all wear lightsaber-deflecting Beskar (a stand-in for the Ysalmiri from the HEIR books that were force-negating salamanders Thrawn kept), Baylen and Shin as stand-ins for Joruus C'Baoth and Mara Jade (I would put GOOD money down on Baylen at least being a former Jedi sent during the prequels on Zahn's OUTBOUND FLIGHT (a mission to contact intelligent life and colonize undiscovered worlds beyond the known galaxy, that never came back because it ran afoul of Thrawn and the Chiss Ascendancy; Joruus was driven mad by this fact and when Luke found him he was very much a dark sider) and I could see Shin fulfilling the Mara Jade & Luke dynamic with Ezra (since at this point Ezra was wherever Thrawn was sent with the Purgil. A flagging and traumatized New Republic at home that struggles to be something better than the Empire...lastly, Dave Filoni does nothing by chance or accident...that HEIR line is very intentional.

And the dialogue from Ahsoka was very telling too: "The Jedi fell a long time ago. There's not many left."....cut to live action Professor Huyang (voiced by David Tennant again)....the droid that helped younglings build their first lightsabers...."Maybe it's time to begin again".....OH MY GODS....

Sidebar: In Mike Chen's canon SW book BROTHERHOOD (about Anakin and Obi-Wan)...they talk about Prof Huyang....the line is "they say that Professor Huyang arrived at the Jedi Temple some thousand years ago in a big blue box"....yeah, that's a Doctor Who reference in canon Star Wars....ANd Filoni was the one who goddamn suggested it to Chen!

And since the other things announced at Celebration were three new movies, one directed by Dave Filoni himself and take place in the Mandalorian timeline...I can see AHSOKA leading into the Mandalorian era movie....with the Rebels crew AND Mando crew - which now would have force sensitives/Jedi in Ahsoka, Ezra, possibly Sabine, Grogu, AND Jacen Syndulla (Kanan and Hera's son who would be a teenager now)...and Thrawn as the big bad in that part of space....amazing.

The other movies were one by James Mangold about the first Jedi, 25,000 years in the past when the Jedi first interacted with the force. He sold this to KK as a Cecile B Demille Biblical Epic of Star Wars canon (sounds cool AF, sign me up).

And the last is also really exciting, a New Jedi Order (yeah...that is literally what the era will be called and that logo was up on the screen in the timeline at celebration) film that takes place 15 years after TROS and has Rey rebuilding (or having rebuilt) the Jedi Order!

Like they gave us SO many cool things this weekend. There was a trailer for the High Republic show ACOLYTE (there's a leaked copy but it's hard to see and hear), and footage for ANDOR S2 as well reportedly, and then I THINK some from SKELETON CREW....speaking of, remember Vane the pirate from MANDO? The guy with the spikey face? Yeah, he's the villain of SKELETON CREW, so those pirates end up in the unknown regions too.

SO. MUCH. EXCITE.

Oh and just added today. A New Season of the else worlds show VISIONS droppped

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 April 2023 - 12:24 PM

#2788 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 April 2023 - 03:42 PM

The Aardman and Cartoon Saloon shots from Visions 2 are the Star Wars projects I'm most excited about.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2789 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 April 2023 - 04:11 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 10 April 2023 - 03:42 PM, said:

The Aardman and Cartoon Saloon shots from Visions 2 are the Star Wars projects I'm most excited about.

I NEED a short senate seat scene where Wallace and Grommit are present, even if they say nothing...

#2790 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:23 AM

Today be with you.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2791 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:27 AM

On Star Wars Day, should Simeon drive or should Ewok?

The problem with Star Wars Day is that it has become too corporate with everyone trying to Kashykk in on it.

Sorry if these jokes seem a bit Forced. I'm not a pro comedian, just a wookie.

It's a bit warm here, and I don't like getting too Hoth which is probably why they're not working so well.

Anyway chaps, Yoda best people, I hope you enjoy!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2792 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:44 PM

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2793 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 May 2023 - 02:08 PM

Since I’m home with a sick daughter today, I’m able to binge the latest season of VISIONS, and I’m gonna comment on them all here for you find people. No spoilers.

SITH - this was GORGEOUS first of all. Like a panting come to life. The story was simple, but engaging and enjoyable.

SKREECHERS REACH - Wow. This one was INCREDIBLE. Simple story too but the emotional heft of it is next level. Cartoon Saloon knocked it out of the park. Like I would follow a whole movie to see what happens next. SOOOOOO good. Best of the season by a long stretch.

INTO THE STARS - exquisitely stop-motioned. The story seems a bit pedestrian for the first half, but the second half picks up well and ends up on a triumphant and emotional note. Really quite lovely. Second fave of the season for sure.

I AM YOUR MOTHER - this is the Aardman one, so you know what you’re getting animation-wise. Star Wars looks fantastic as claymation. Quite charming. Wedge as the race announcer is a nice touch. Enjoyed.

JOURNEY TO THE DARK HEAD - SK animation studio Mir did this one (the studio that animated KORA). Love that it looks like anime, but has painterly sketches moving around on a lot of backgrounds. This one is pretty incredible too. Very cinematic, and feels like it takes the best of Star Wars and leaves the chaff on the floor while it elevates the whole thing. A GREAT short with tonnes of action and character and cool stuff. Third fave.

THE SPY DANCER - I didn’t like the animation style at all. It looked like Fritz The Cat. That’s not a compliment. The story makes up for it a bit. Fairly rewarding overall.

THE BANDITS OF GOLAK - 88 Pictures did this one, so animation is like Trollhunters on Netflix. Good but nothing special. This one has a Hindi flavour, so that’s a fresh and welcome take in the SW universe. A lot of fun. Felt like a stand-alone episode of Rebels. Really nice and twisty.

THE PIT - animation was subpar. Like 80’s anime. The story was SUPER forgettable. Easily tor worst of the lot this season.

AU’S SONG - this is the Triggerfish one. So more stop motion but not as good as INTO THE STARS and thr “felt” look doesn’t really work for me. Talks about Star Wars things….but does not feel at all like Star Wars.

All in alll a solid season. The back half is weaker than the first half, it I think I found more to like this season than last just due to fresh animation that was swinging for the fences.

#2794 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:07 PM

Cartoon Saloon are so good. Don't think there's been a better animation studio over the last 15 years since they got going. Screecher's Reach frigging nails it.

#2795 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 06 May 2023 - 04:50 PM

I really like the art style on Spy Dancer. More Cat in Paris than Felix the Cat. Shock horror, me and QT disagree on something.

The story was cool as shit though. This season really does seem to have the creators more comfortable with putting their own spins and that on the SW lore than the first. Though it might be a factor that the anime studios are taking from the culture, myth and story traditions that Lucas was brazenly lifting from/pastiching when he made SW originally, so their spins on it just feel like less of a departure than going fully French or Chilean or what have you.

#2796 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 May 2023 - 10:32 AM

Don't think any of the stories where as strong as a couple of the first season ones, which I would easily have watched full length movies in the same style and on the same story.

But top two would be
Into the Stars both the animation and the story works, wondered what the hell for the first minutes but it grew along the way.
Spy Dancer think the style works so much better than most of the other animations styles, realism isn't always good for conveying movement and feeling.

The middle
Journey to the Dark Head and Sith are probably in the upper middle very pretty but perhaps not the strongest stories.

SKREECHERS REACH is solidly in the middle it is a great story that is let down by an animation style I simply couldn't like most of the time.

Lower middle would probably be Au's Song or Bandits of Golak the first is let down by its character animation and the later is gorgeous but the story is very lack luster we don't learn basically anything about the involved characters.

Bottom two would probably be
The Pit which isn't all that good thought the first five minutes are kind of nicely made.
I am your mother which doesn't have either story or animation going for it.

#2797 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2023 - 12:31 PM

New AHSOKA trailer!

I think this is the first time we are learning that Sabine is force sensitive and trained under Ahsoka in the 5 years between the end of REBELS and when this takes place post-ROTJ. Super exciting!

#2798 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 July 2023 - 01:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 July 2023 - 12:31 PM, said:

New AHSOKA trailer!

I think this is the first time we are learning that Sabine is force sensitive and trained under Ahsoka in the 5 years between the end of REBELS and when this takes place post-ROTJ. Super exciting!

Are we sure that's what they're indicating, that Sabine is force sensitive? I'm not opposed to it but I've watched Rebels many times and I can't think of a single hint at that being the case. Kanan trained her with the dark Saber because he knew she'd have to know how to use it, since she was going to be challenged for it. It's a little hard to believe she was in the presence of 2 jedi for years and neither sensed any force ability in Sabine, that we know of. Is there such a thing as a very late bloomer in force sensitivity? I'll be fine with it, IF we get an intelligent explanation for it. Everything else about this trailer has me stoked. I'm also a little apprehensive. This is my favorite SW character (Ahsoka, that is) and if Disney trashes her or any of the Rebel crew I know and love so well, I am probably done for good.

#2799 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 July 2023 - 01:17 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 12 July 2023 - 01:08 PM, said:

New AHSOKA trailer!

Are we sure that's what they're indicating, that Sabine is force sensitive? I'm not opposed to it but I've watched Rebels many times and I can't think of a single hint at that being the case. Kanan trained her with the dark Saber because he knew she'd have to know how to use it, since she was going to be challenged for it. It's a little hard to believe she was in the presence of 2 jedi for years and neither sensed any force ability in Sabine, that we know of. Is there such a thing as a very late bloomer in force sensitivity? I'll be fine with it, IF we get an intelligent explanation for it. Everything else about this trailer has me stoked. I'm also a little apprehensive. This is my favorite SW character (Ahsoka, that is) and if Disney trashes her or any of the Rebel crew I know and love so well, I am probably done for good.

She calls Ahsoka "Master" in the trailer, and this comes right before she's watching a holo of Ezra talking about what it means to be a Jedi...AND she seems to go up against the dark force users later in the trailer...I can't see that as anything but force sensitive. She grew up noble on Mandalore, so any notion that she would be force sensitive would be ignored or snuffed out by the people in charge who abhorred the Jedi.

But there ARE hints in REBELS as I recall...

Towards the ending of "A World Between Worlds" Sabine tells Hera how they need to get to the temple painting and Hera asks her what about Ezra? She responds by saying "He's on his way." A few moments after that Ezra comes back out of the temple.

And the late bloomer force Sensitive you're seeking for comparison? Luke Skywalker. He was 18 before he used it properly. And the only thing in his life up to that point that indicates it was him being a good pilot.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 July 2023 - 01:19 PM

#2800 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 July 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 July 2023 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 12 July 2023 - 01:08 PM, said:

New AHSOKA trailer!

She calls Ahsoka "Master" in the trailer, and this comes right before she's watching a holo of Ezra talking about what it means to be a Jedi...AND she seems to go up against the dark force users later in the trailer...I can't see that as anything but force sensitive. She grew up noble on Mandalore, so any notion that she would be force sensitive would be ignored or snuffed out by the people in charge who abhorred the Jedi.

But there ARE hints in REBELS as I recall...

Towards the ending of "A World Between Worlds" Sabine tells Hera how they need to get to the temple painting and Hera asks her what about Ezra? She responds by saying "He's on his way." A few moments after that Ezra comes back out of the temple.

And the late bloomer force Sensitive you're seeking for comparison? Luke Skywalker. He was 18 before he used it properly. And the only thing in his life up to that point that indicates it was him being a good pilot.

Both your examples are fair or more than fair points. I could be convinced, again, if the reasoning makes sense. There were so many amazing things happening in the WBW ep that even on rewatch I never gave her line enough thought as to why she might know that.

Interesting that Ahsoka and Sabine's relationship seems to be being portrayed as having been difficult or even contentious? Is it not possible that Sabine could call her Master even if Ahsoka was only training her in lightsaber combat? Either way, as far as we know, Ahsoka has never taken on an apprentice before. She could've found it as difficult as Kanan did at times, especially with a Mandalorian padawan.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users