Malazan Empire: (True) Identities: Arathan, Korya Delath, Grizzin Farl & Old Man - Malazan Empire

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(True) Identities: Arathan, Korya Delath, Grizzin Farl & Old Man Spoilers! These characters are in the future known as...

#81 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

There's also the 'mahybe' thing... the Jaghut is setting Korya up to be a vessel, but for what?
We know that eventually Jaghut develop soul-shifting if they haven't already.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#82 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 September 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

There's also the 'mahybe' thing... the Jaghut is setting Korya up to be a vessel, but for what?

the blood of the elient?

#83 User is offline   Drusas Achamian 

• Recruit

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

THE SOULS CAPTURED BY QUICK BEN IN RARAKU:

'Kebharla...more a scholar than a mage....Eleven mages on foot, without supplies...Late in the afternoon they came upon another body...a third corpse was found...more bodies were discovered...Renisha, a sorceror of High Meanas; Keluger, a Septime Priest of D'riss, the Worm of Autumn; Narkal, the warrior-mage, sworn to Fener and aspirant to the god's Mortal Sword; Ullan, the Soletaken priestess of Soliel...Set'alahd Crool, a Jhag half-blood who'd once driven Dassem Ultor back...Etra, a mistress of the Rashan warren; Birith'era, mage of the Serc warren...Gellid, witch of the Tennes warren' ...

In short:

1. Kebharla - Scholar/Mage
2. Unamed
3. Unamed
4. Renisha - Sorcerer of High Meanas
5. Keluger - Septime Priest of D'riss
6. Narkal - Warrior-Mage of Fener
7. Ullan - Soletaken Priestess of Soliel
8. Set'alahd Crool - Jhag half-blood
9. Etra - Mistress of the Rashan warren
10. Birith'era - Mage of the Serc warren
11. Gellid - Witch of the Tennes warren

How could Quick Ben use Kurald Galain in MBotF? I think the two unamed mages above are not important enough to be named: highly unlikely that they were Tiste Andii.
If we consider that only Tiste Andii can use Kurald Galain, the original - 12th soul - of Quick Ben must be a Tiste Andii, who - in a later lifetime perhaps - became a priest
of Shadow.

#84 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostDrusas Achamian, on 11 September 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

...How could Quick Ben use Kurald Galain in MBotF? I think the two unamed mages above are not important enough to be named: highly unlikely that they were Tiste Andii.

Highly unlikely based on what? We've met many part-Andii. SE hardly tells us everything that's going on all the time with everyone.

If we consider that only Tiste Andii can use Kurald Galain,

Your consideration is missing the fact that Meanas and Rashan are there. It's only a short jump to KG AND we've seen humans with only the barest or no non-human blood use Elder Warrens elsewhere (RCG and OST come to mind).

the original - 12th soul - of Quick Ben must be a Tiste Andii, who - in a later lifetime perhaps - became a priest of Shadow.

Cynnigig in HoC makes the point that just because a race is aspected to a warren doesn't mean they are limitted to it.

#85 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 September 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

...How could Quick Ben use Kurald Galain in MBotF? I think the two unamed mages above are not important enough to be named: highly unlikely that they were Tiste Andii.

Highly unlikely based on what? We've met many part-Andii. SE hardly tells us everything that's going on all the time with everyone.

If we consider that only Tiste Andii can use Kurald Galain,

Your consideration is missing the fact that Meanas and Rashan are there. It's only a short jump to KG AND we've seen humans with only the barest or no non-human blood use Elder Warrens elsewhere (RCG and OST come to mind).

the original - 12th soul - of Quick Ben must be a Tiste Andii, who - in a later lifetime perhaps - became a priest of Shadow.

Cynnigig in HoC makes the point that just because a race is aspected to a warren doesn't mean they are limitted to it.

These points and the ones in preceding posts are all fair arguments.

But I don't get why people seem to just sort of steamroll over the fact that in TCG, QB visits the Spar of Andii and has a conversation with an entity that is almost certainly Mother Dark.

I guess my point isn't necessarily that I'm firmly in the Korya=Quick camp. I'll admit that from the 3/4 of FoD that I've read, if I had a gun to my head and I had to link one of the characters to QB based on the evidence from the text in front of me, I'd probably choose her. That has only a little to do with "Delath" and more to do with the fact that (where I am in the book, at least) she's the only Tiste to have visited the Spar of Andii (a site that, in MBotF, was linked pretty deliberately to Quick in its two appearances), Haut tells her that she will "live forever," the Mahybe reference, the dolls, and very little else.

And notice I used the word "linked." I don't think it's anything nearly as simple as "genetic ancestry," nor do I in any way think it's as simple as Korya=Quick. I just see some potential connections.

Also, another quick point: it's the name "Delat" that prompts Ruthan Gudd to recognize QB and guffaw in TCG, is it not? Thus leading me to believe that there is some significance to the name Delat, a significance that--maybe won't, but I highly suspect could be--revealed over the course of the Kharkanas trilogy. I do think Delat-->Delath is fairly fucking obvious for SE's MO, but given what little we have to go on, I don't think it's unfair for hackles to be up when those five letters are anywhere in a row.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 11 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#86 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

...the original - 12th soul - of Quick Ben must be a Tiste Andii, who - in a later lifetime perhaps - became a priest
of Shadow.

That's an interesting theory... I was originally inclined to dismiss it, but has it ever been categorically stated in the series that QB is actually human? We know he's tall, he's slender, he has black skin, and it would be just like SE to throw us that kind of curveball.

#87 User is offline   spim 

• Recruit

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

As posted in the other thread

Can someone bring up the Brys Beddict monologues in DoD or TCG? There's a part where he's remembering his time in the Guardian of Death realm or whatever and he talks about cold airless moon guy etc etc that strnogly reeks of Old Man.

#88 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 11 September 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

And notice I used the word "linked." I don't think it's anything nearly as simple as "genetic ancestry," nor do I in any way think it's as simple as Korya=Quick. I just see some potential connections....

Agreed.

View PostCrow Clan Baby, on 11 September 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

That's an interesting theory... I was originally inclined to dismiss it, but has it ever been categorically stated in the series that QB is actually human? We know he's tall, he's slender, he has black skin, and it would be just like SE to throw us that kind of curveball.

Iirc even back in GotM when the squad first shows up on the hill Tattersail describes him as a 7C native.

#89 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

He was always been described as a black human male from 7C, not with the actual black skin of the Tiste.

#90 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

And i'm grasping here, but i believe the descriptions of Pearl and Topper, both part Andii, referred to the shape of their eyes as the only real hint of non-human heritage. We've never seen that descriptin applied to QB.

I think there may be a link - the TCG prologue scene at the Spar REALLY supports this - but it's not as direct as a bloodline.

#91 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Korya is Burn, and Burn is QB's ancestor.

Okay, fine, I'm just shouting out random stupid things.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#92 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Is it possible Arathan is the Builder from Toll the Hounds that Nimander frees? He was with Gothos. Perhaps Gothos kept him around all this time to build Azath houses...Silchas lived in a barrow for forever, so lengthy imprisonments aren't entirely out of the question. Plus, Arathan seemed to want to be away from pretty much all that civilization stuff anyway. I know Builder had a mouth full of fangs, but who knows how Arathan, an Azathanai, would choose to present himself?

Also, Olar Ethil freaked me the f out. How you gonna be takin' a brutha's head off witchyo stomach? Still her scenes were incredibly visceral. I want more.

The Jaghut are awesome. Haut, Verandas, Hood, Gothos...these guys...

And Burn is an Imass Bonecaster...who is already sleeping...but doesn't "Sleep" until the Crippled God poisons her...

Wanna see the Birth of Shadow real bad. Wanna see drinking of Tiam's blood real bad. Wanna see Sundering of Shadow real bad...wanna see some Forukal real bad...Wanna see Kallor real bad...

"K'rul's Gift" = Best fantasy explanation for existence of magic ever?

OK, here's the love:

This is the first SE Malazan book I've got to read along with you guys when it first came out. I came late to the party, but I've got a lampshade on my head and I'm about to break out a game of Cards Against Humanity. In hindsight, it may have been a good idea, cuz when I've been confused, I've been able to come on here and either A. find an answer to my question or B. :) realize you all are just as confused and speculative as I am. That said, I wanted you all to know I love you and you can come sit on a branch of this burning tree with me any time. There are plenty of branches.

This post has been edited by Stalking Stonny: 14 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#93 User is offline   Destiny 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:MBotF,
    Supernatural,
    Vampire Diaries

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostStalking Stonny, on 14 September 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Is it possible Arathan is the Builder from Toll the Hounds that Nimander frees? He was with Gothos. Perhaps Gothos kept him around all this time to build Azath houses...Silchas lived in a barrow for forever, so lengthy imprisonments aren't entirely out of the question. Plus, Arathan seemed to want to be away from pretty much all that civilization stuff anyway. I know Builder had a mouth full of fangs, but who knows how Arathan, an Azathanai, would choose to present himself?

WOOOOOOOW I was literally just about to post this Posted Image
Я изучаю русский язык, but I'm not very good yet.

#94 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostDestiny, on 14 September 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

View PostStalking Stonny, on 14 September 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

WOOOOOOOW I was literally just about to post this Posted Image

In that TtH scene Gothos implies that he has multiple builders building mutliple Houses - the line is something like "I was saving that one.". It's not entirely clear but that would contradict the (nontheless interesting) theory.

#95 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm gonna read that scene tonight when I get home from work, but thanks for giving the memory more depth for me. I wonder still if that is a contradiction. If he was "saving" him, then that word could mean several things. Saving, like hoarding, or saving like rescuing. Even the double meaning aside, He could have been saving him because he was special to him. Or was a prototype. Maybe Gothos was responsible for the building of the Azath houses, but they aren't needed anymore since magic is evolving due to Icarium's being the K'rul Nouveaux and the rise of the new warrens. This be some WILD speculation, too. But the TCG left us facing a new magic system, the end of the Malazan Empire and the future promise of Karsa destroying civilization. Then we def got some Vitr shit that needs to be dealt with by ICE, where I'm sure we'll find out more about the toothy mason.

As it stands, though much respect for your input Abyss. And way to share brainwaves in the collective unconscious, Destiny.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#96 User is offline   Destiny 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:MBotF,
    Supernatural,
    Vampire Diaries

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Why does it contradict it? It seems entirely possible that Arathan (who is an Azathanai) could be one of those builders building Azaths. He might not be this specific builder, but if Gothos has multiple, then why not one of the others?
Я изучаю русский язык, but I'm not very good yet.

#97 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I think if they were any of them it would be that specific one. And FoD really hammers home the point that Azathanai masons were known to the Tiste. It could be and it couldnt be. There really isn't enough proof to say that it is. I just wanted to share my first thought, once I read Arathan decided to live with Gothos. I like these books.

#98 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I saw Gothos' TtH comment as running towards multiple builders who were all the same race, but i see the point that the one specific builder could be Arathan and others different, especially given the ref early in FoD to Az'i masons plural.

Tho FoD also tells us that the Az'i don't know where the Houses come from, but Gothos could form that link later on.

My head hurtz.

#99 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yes. This is all very difficult conjecture. Thanks for taking part in it. I value your thoughts.

#100 User is offline   Seli 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 September 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Also keep in mind our information on this sequence comes from the story as told by Whiskeyjack to Rake. They might have a bond and Whiskeyjack is probably telling a version of the truth, but it is not unlikely he lies by omission if he thinks it is needed to protect Quick Ben.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users