Malazan Empire: (True) Identities: Arathan, Korya Delath, Grizzin Farl & Old Man - Malazan Empire

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(True) Identities: Arathan, Korya Delath, Grizzin Farl & Old Man Spoilers! These characters are in the future known as...

#321 User is offline   Avernite 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 August 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Well, he is Gothos' son and Icarium's half brother, surely that should put things in perspective already? If he'd had his Finnest, he'd be a freaking maelstrom.

Makes you appreciate just how ballsy the Malazan Empire was...
Want to conquer a city? Why, let's toss in something close to a continent-freezing city-destroying monster, that should do it!

Of course, they probably got slightly numb to such things after having T'lan Imass around for too long.

#322 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

I have a new theory, after following FoD up with MoI: (zombi)Enesdia will become Sister of Cold Nights. Something is crawling back out of that grave...- MD blessed her, posthumously, but since that her portrait and her blood have magically appeared in the temple. We know portraits and blood are super powerful magic, linked to ascendancy and immortality.- Sister is the title of MD's priestesses, see sister Emral en sister Syntara.- I suspect MD will make her high priest and her placeholder when she 'turns away', investing her with even more divine power, transferring worship onto her.- Cold Nights, Nightchill, sounds like something born from Draconus' suzerainity, right? And also like an aspect whatever's left of Enesdia would pick. No hearthfire for her, ever.- It's just the kind of tragic decision with horrific consequences made out of love or the desire to fix things that really is the theme of the book.
And then I noticed one book of MoI is titled Hearthstone and I got chills down my spine. Wow.

#323 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 23 October 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

I have a new theory, after following FoD up with MoI: (zombi)Enesdia will become Sister of Cold Nights. Something is crawling back out of that grave...- MD blessed her, posthumously, but since that her portrait and her blood have magically appeared in the temple. We know portraits and blood are super powerful magic, linked to ascendancy and immortality.- Sister is the title of MD's priestesses, see sister Emral en sister Syntara.- I suspect MD will make her high priest and her placeholder when she 'turns away', investing her with even more divine power, transferring worship onto her.- Cold Nights, Nightchill, sounds like something born from Draconus' suzerainity, right? And also like an aspect whatever's left of Enesdia would pick. No hearthfire for her, ever.- It's just the kind of tragic decision with horrific consequences made out of love or the desire to fix things that really is the theme of the book.
And then I noticed one book of MoI is titled Hearthstone and I got chills down my spine. Wow.

Interesting theory, but sister of cold nights is a weird title in general.

Early in MBotF she is an Elder Goddess, which would imply an Azathenai fairly strongly, so could just be offscreen atm.

But late in the series Korlat gets that title as a subordinate to Yan Tovis, which would seem to imply the title is related to the Shake
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#324 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

Nevyn said:

1445631688[/url]' post='1204727']

Felisin Fatter said:

1445630521[/url]' post='1204726']

Early in MBotF she is an Elder Goddess, which would imply an Azathenai fairly strongly, so could just be offscreen atm.

But late in the series Korlat gets that title as a subordinate to Yan Tovis, which would seem to imply the title is related to the Shake

You can also read that as support for my theory, since Korlat is the daughter of Sandalath, who sits the Throne of Darkness by then (I think).
I didn't forget the elder goddess bit, as that's also in MoI, but I read Elder there as 'getting blood sacrifice'. Also in that scene she would be like 180k years old. Not really evidence either way I'd say.

#325 User is offline   Soma 

• Recruit

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Grizzin Farl is obviously Kruppe.

#326 User is offline   fatbaldbloke 

• Recruit

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

New to the board, just finished rereading FoD at the weekend and the locked 'temple' at House Dracons intrigues me, and I'm wondering if there is some link to Quick Ben's dialogue at the Spar of Andii?

Sand hears someone moving around in there. Someone imprisoned perhaps and someone too large to be one of the three sisters. Later on in the book when Draconus leaves Arathan to head back with his gift for MD we see his steed Calleras (think that's the right name) starting to change.

When Ben speaks at the Spar he mentions of his Father that "If he'd wanted blind obedience, he should have kept me chained" and seems to summon a mount out of darkness that seems very similar to Calleras to me (mind you I suppose all sodding great horses that are an apparition of night resemble one another to an extent)

Every time I read one of these books I seem to end up with more questions.

#327 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 23 October 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 23 October 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 23 October 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

You can also read that as support for my theory, since Korlat is the daughter of Sandalath, who sits the Throne of Darkness by then (I think).
I didn't forget the elder goddess bit, as that's also in MoI, but I read Elder there as 'getting blood sacrifice'. Also in that scene she would be like 180k years old. Not really evidence either way I'd say.

Forgive me if I'm mixed up, but I thought the Shake title was Sister of Night, and it's one reference by Nimander later who calls her "Sister of Cold Nights". Doesn't preclude her being both, but I thought the two were at least separate titles.

I'm re-reading FoD at present - and I'd forgotten about the locked temple. Intriguing!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#328 User is offline   Menes Kol Kronski 

• Recruit

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

No idea on the others
But after finishing Fall of Light it came to me

Korya Delath will become or is Feather Witch from Midnight Tides and all that.

#329 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

This isn't the place to discuss any conclusions you've drawn from Fall of Light.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#330 User is offline   Nunchucks 

• Recruit

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Quick Ben is described as being feminine in GoTM and black skinned.....hmmmmm?

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users