• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postmasan, on 25 February 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Whose that lurking in the background ?

I'm going for trotts? going with the traditional rogue, mage, heavy, archer format hence Kalam, Quick, Trotts and Picker. On the fence about blend. No Idea how to make a character look like a near invisible battle lesbian and for this I wallow in shame.

View PostPuck, on 25 February 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

As stated in the rep, looks very good :p Only thing I noticed is that QB's and Kalam's heights are swapped. QB schould be about a head taller than Kalam, who in turn should be broader and wear a chainmail shirt, considering it's his trade mark along with the knives. The style's pretty cool, though.

I took that into consideration aaand...

Edit: think I should throw a portal behind them? or should it just be a shimmering veil illusion?

Attached File  Sneaking In 4.jpg (91.45K)
Number of downloads: 0

Kalam should probably be bigger. also I feel like he needs more hair on his pate...

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 26 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#122 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Kalam wears what is essentially thick cornrows, as far as I recall. He's like a musclebound, cornrowed ?uestlove.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#123 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Nerd books, drawing, damsels, grog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Just started this Kallor. About an hour in. Haven't added the beard yet. Or quite worked out what I want to do with the background. I haven't added any color to the High King yet, either.

Attached File(s)

#124 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

@ GenKael - You're off to a good start. I pretty sure Kallor hasn't got a beard though.

@Dolmen - That's looking badass.
Add some mass around Kalam's middle to bulk him up.
Picker may need bulking up as well. Think I remember her as more solid. Could be wrong though.

This post has been edited by Corporal Nobbs: 28 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#125 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetφter

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 28 February 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

@ GenKael - You're off to a good start. I pretty sure Kallor hasn't got a beard though.

I really don't want to be a smartass, but since I read that just yesterday I am sure that yes, he does have a beard.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#126 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Really. Which book?
Not that I don't believe you, but I've always pictured him clean-shaven, drawn him that way too.
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#127 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I always imagined him rocking a bit of stubble tbh.

#128 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Really. Which book?
Not that I don't believe you, but I've always pictured him clean-shaven, drawn him that way too.

'He was gaunt, but then, he had always been gaunt. His thin, grey hair was unkempt, drifting out long in his wake. His beard was matted, knotted with filth. His eyes, icy blue, were as feral as any beast of the plain.'

TTH, UK Trade, p.116

Dolmen: Picker's pose is a bit too casual imho. And build mass with sass on Kalam. He's described as bearish by tattersail in GotM if I remember correctly, which I usually don't.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#129 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

He's described as bearish almost any time he's in action, which is what makes his agility so surprising to his foes.

#130 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

So with Kalam we thinking UFC big but parkour agile?

and I will see how I can get Picker to look more intense.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#131 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Great work, i really like the idea and the execution so far.
As far as i remember Kalam is always described as extremely burly if not as tall as QB.

I'd say Picker should look a bit less.. pretty. I don't mean she should be ugly by all means but as it it she appears a little frail and she doesn't scream "Badass veteran marine sergent slash asskicker battle lesbian" to me. As Nobbs suggested, a little more bulk could do the work. (together with some slightly heavier facial features).
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#132 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

What I have been up tooo....

Attached File  MOCKRA-FLASH-SEQUENCE.gif (443.79K)
Number of downloads: 2

Where I am:

Attached File  Sneaking In 8s.jpg (271.88K)
Number of downloads: 2

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 06 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

#133 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

That rep should read 'holy' not holu.

that's all kinds of awesome dol, the progression gif is fantastic to see how you alter and build on it.

i think its one of your finest so far (that I've seen)

#134 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

You even put the cornrows on Kalam!!!! Holy shit I just can't believe it how fucking awesome that is.

SE needs to change his mind on animation cuz MBoTF is MEANT for the Studio Ghibli treatment.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#135 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 24 February 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

I thought Kulp was a Ruse kinda guy?

Just to close this off, Kulp was Meanas. The confusion with Ruse relates to his time on the Silanda in DG, but he's absolutely Meanas.

View PostDolmen+, on 06 March 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

What I have been up tooo....

That's.... AWESOME.
seriously amazing work Dolmen. i like your progression flash thingy too.

Comments: I love the sense of action to the pic... really gives a feeling of them busting in via warren. Kalam and QB are pretty much perfect. I know you're trying for a certain look, but Picker is usually in full armor and described as bulkier. That design brings to mind Blend, or perhaps Sorry with crossbows instead of her usual knives. If you're going for the Picker/Blend set, maybe switch the forward female figure to a bulkier look with swords and go ninja with the background one. Trotts... the size is right, the grin is great... i vaguely recall his hair was short with a topknot or something, not long. Clearing the hair away from his face and adding some tattoos would make it clearer who he is.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#136 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I'm not sure at all on the details of Picker and Blend (personally always thought of Blend as slightly bigger but also slightly more femme than Picker, so you're not so far off for me). If I had one suggestion to give, it's to work on making Trotts even less human. I know there's no consensus on the Barghast, particularly since humans are attracted to them, but they are described as "bestial" in face, and Trotts is described as having a fetished up ponytail (could be drawn as a topknot, but not otherwise bald AFAIK) and I believe they're a woody brown skin color. Teeth filed, and yours look possibly there already but it's hard to tell due to size. And yah Abyss is right about the tribal tattoos, which are woad (I looked it up, basically it means they're blue).

#137 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

What i remember of Trotts:
-Fetished braids
-Tattoos
-Filed teeth
-offered hedge to eat him (not relevant, but i just remembered the scene and it was awesome)

Well in tth Picker is described as bulky and "big-arsed" or something like that, but she also mention having put up a lot of weight since retirement. So "lean but muscled" could be a fitting description of her while in service to the empire.
Definitely can't recall any description of Blend, other than that she's so nondescript that the eye misses her.

Great WIP Dol, really inspired! Kalam is PERFECT and so is QB (but a bit too garish imho). Is that Moon's Spawn in the background?

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 06 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#138 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View Postworrywort, on 06 March 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

I know there's no consensus on the Barghast, particularly since humans are attracted to them, but they are described as "bestial" in face, and Trotts is described as having a fetished up ponytail (could be drawn as a topknot, but not otherwise bald AFAIK) and I believe they're a woody brown skin color. Teeth filed, and yours look possibly there already but it's hard to tell due to size. And yah Abyss is right about the tribal tattoos, which are woad (I looked it up, basically it means they're blue).

I would say, think Mongol mixed with Maori and you may not be too far off.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#139 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

In GotM and MoI Picker iirc is described as plain and touch looking. Blend doesn't appear until MoI and she's more or less small nondescript and ninja. That's consistent to TtH... the description of Picker as fat is because she's wearing armor and hauling a crossbow under a heavy cloak. That said, in OST ICE describes them both as 'thick' more or less.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#140 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetφter

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Picker in MoI:

'[...]' She worked the ivory rings up her scarred, muscled arm. [...]

[...] He gripped her chain-sleeved bicep. A muted clatter sounded.
Picker gasped.
After a moment she dropped her sword to clunk on the tarred rooftop, and began stripping off her chain surcoat with quick, jerky motions. [...]

Two fingers brushed her arm and she nearly leapt out of her leathers. [...]

She dropped the last man's height to land on the ground in a jangle and clank of armour.

Blend and Picker were thrown through the doorway. The lieutenant's head snapped back to the thudding, staccato impact of flying stones against her helm and the lowered visor and cheek-guards. [...]

Picker in TtH:

[…] she paused to tug loose the tangles of her heavy cloak, […]

[…], watched the big-arsed woman kicking her way through the rubbish […]

[…] They were old, sagging, rarely sober, and this one, well, she wore that huge, thick woolen cloak because she was getting heavy and it clearly made her self-concious.
Following her through the crowds had been relatively easy – she was a head taller than the average Gadrobi, […]

'If she's [Scillara] fat, Antsy, then so am I.'
Antsy looked away.
Picker cuffed him on the side of the head.
'Ow, what was that for?'
'I wear armour and quilted underpadding, remember?'

Blend in TtH:

Barathol saw the Malazan threading her way to where they now sat. By hue of skin, by cast of features, by any obvious measure one might find, there was nothing that differentiated the woman from any local Daru or Genabarii; yet he knew, instantly. A Malazan, and a veteran. A damned marine.

The slim woman came up, soft brown eyes fixed on Barathol. And in Malazan, she said, '[…]'

And in she came, light-footed as a cat, [...]

'[…],' she replied, laying out her chain hauberk on the bed, then pulling off her shirt to find the padded undergarment.
Antsy's eyes bugged slightly as he stared at her breasts, the faint bulge of her belly, the sweet —
Blend tugged on the quilted shirt and then returned to the hauberk. '[…]'
[…]
She worked the hauberk over her head and pushed her arms through the heavy sleeves.

'[…]' She selected a matched pair of Wickan longknives from her store of weapons and strapped the belt on, low on her hips, offered Antsy a hard grin. '[…]'

I remember something along the same lines about Blend in MoI, but can't be bothered to go through all of it to find the quotes just happen to have the ones from TtH at hand. Hope it helps some.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users