• View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostPuck, on 06 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Picker in MoI:

'[...]' She worked the ivory rings up her scarred, muscled arm. [...]

[...] He gripped her chain-sleeved bicep. A muted clatter sounded.
Picker gasped.
After a moment she dropped her sword to clunk on the tarred rooftop, and began stripping off her chain surcoat with quick, jerky motions. [...]

Two fingers brushed her arm and she nearly leapt out of her leathers. [...]

She dropped the last man's height to land on the ground in a jangle and clank of armour.

Blend and Picker were thrown through the doorway. The lieutenant's head snapped back to the thudding, staccato impact of flying stones against her helm and the lowered visor and cheek-guards. [...]

Picker in TtH:

[…] she paused to tug loose the tangles of her heavy cloak, […]

[…], watched the big-arsed woman kicking her way through the rubbish […]

[…] They were old, sagging, rarely sober, and this one, well, she wore that huge, thick woolen cloak because she was getting heavy and it clearly made her self-concious.
Following her through the crowds had been relatively easy – she was a head taller than the average Gadrobi, […]

'If she's [Scillara] fat, Antsy, then so am I.'
Antsy looked away.
Picker cuffed him on the side of the head.
'Ow, what was that for?'
'I wear armour and quilted underpadding, remember?'

Blend in TtH:

Barathol saw the Malazan threading her way to where they now sat. By hue of skin, by cast of features, by any obvious measure one might find, there was nothing that differentiated the woman from any local Daru or Genabarii; yet he knew, instantly. A Malazan, and a veteran. A damned marine.

The slim woman came up, soft brown eyes fixed on Barathol. And in Malazan, she said, '[…]'

And in she came, light-footed as a cat, [...]

'[…],' she replied, laying out her chain hauberk on the bed, then pulling off her shirt to find the padded undergarment.
Antsy's eyes bugged slightly as he stared at her breasts, the faint bulge of her belly, the sweet —
Blend tugged on the quilted shirt and then returned to the hauberk. '[…]'
[…]
She worked the hauberk over her head and pushed her arms through the heavy sleeves.

'[…]' She selected a matched pair of Wickan longknives from her store of weapons and strapped the belt on, low on her hips, offered Antsy a hard grin. '[…]'

I remember something along the same lines about Blend in MoI, but can't be bothered to go through all of it to find the quotes just happen to have the ones from TtH at hand. Hope it helps some.

Oh this Helps TONS. Since its a scene with all the bridgeburners together I'd say this scene is somewhere between GotM and MoI.

I am really grateful for everyones input on this, I managed to pull in a flood of character refs for Trotts! he is much clearer in my head. I thickened Picker up but thanks to the wealth of info I can see how my draft of her still needs work. I have earmarked a few interesting armour types for both. will try work on it and see where the information goes!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#142 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

If you want to make it as authentic as possible I'd recommend dropping the iron bras and using regular breastplates - considering most of the stuff they wear would probably be regular issue armor anyway. The thing Picker wears in your latest version is a deatn trap. HHD posted a link to why and how recently, but I can't remember where it was.

Personally, I wouldn't mind so much depending on your goal, but it'd make it even more kick-ass.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#143 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Awesome pictures thread iirc

#144 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Something like this then?

Posted Image

Posted Image
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#145 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

I seem to recall the Malazan's armour style to be something Roman-like: Lots of chainmail, studded leather, scales and metal straps (like this , but few full-plated armour.

I could be wrong though.

Edit: actually, i'm pretty sure that full heavy armours were quite rare even in Medieval times.

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 07 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#146 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Something like this then?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, that'd be much much better, and much more kick-ass :D
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#147 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

In other news Will have everyone more or less covered by the end of the week!

#148 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

In most matters, I'll favor style over function/realism, but the bikini breastplate - it'll bounce the blow off your boobies and guide it in right between them. In no way does it make sense.

Love the pic though :D

This post has been edited by Isolde: 11 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

#149 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Womenfighters Tumblr blog I found this through the Muddy Colors blog.
They're having a bit of a discussion about objectification in cover art
Objectify
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#150 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 12 March 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Womenfighters Tumblr blog I found this through the Muddy Colors blog.
They're having a bit of a discussion about objectification in cover art
Objectify

This is an awesome dialogue. I am kinda surprised with the mileage on the Hawkeye initiative. pretty hilarious.

On the issues raised...:

1] Does contemporary fantasy & sf art routinely objectify women?

Yes, with exception. I think it depends heavily on the subject matter. I have seen plenty of Sci Fi & Fantasy art that favours women.
Plenty of web-comics are really redefining the genre ie. Grrrlpower. Its a new movement though, There's no way its balanced.

2] When does "sexy" become "sexist"? When is showing bare flesh "artistic" or "offensive"?

Hmmmn tough call. I think its sexy when a woman reveals a little of her best features but leaves some to the imagination. I think a naked woman can be sexy without being a sexist image. Sexism ties strongly with message rather than simple composition. if an image portrays a message of a woman under control of male influence it is in danger of being sexist, the opposite is true the more in control she is of her situation.

3] Where is the line between "harmless" and "harmful," between "innocent" and "exploitation"? And who gets to decide where and when that line is drawn?

Impossible for my mind to define alone, too many factors to consider. If I were to attempt it then I would say its up to the individual to decide whats right to them based on the upbringing and culture they adhere to. Public opinion on the line between harmful and harmless should be determined by the lowest common denominator. If the image is aimed at kids, its affect on their world outlook should determine how harmful an image is. If aimed at adults then what harm this may do to that adults world outlook should be considered. But like I said this is a huge gray area. we are all different. I can't hope to paint an image of a woman and expect no one to see it as too sexualized and someone else seeing it as not sexual enough. Artists can't be expected to placate everyone. actually artists shouldn't let such things factor in their creative process. its more a question of how, where and why they publicly place the art for observation.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 12 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

#151 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostPuck, on 07 March 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

If you want to make it as authentic as possible I'd recommend dropping the iron bras and using regular breastplates - considering most of the stuff they wear would probably be regular issue armor anyway. The thing Picker wears in your latest version is a deatn trap. HHD posted a link to why and how recently, but I can't remember where it was.

Personally, I wouldn't mind so much depending on your goal, but it'd make it even more kick-ass.

Excuse me while I hop over all the posts after this^ one, but here's the reference I believe Puck is referring to, for those who might like it.
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#152 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Nerd books, drawing, damsels, grog

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Here is my latest progress with Kallor. Damn busy with work, and trying to finish "Blood and Bone".

Attached File(s)

#153 User is offline   GenKael 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Nerd books, drawing, damsels, grog

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

And here's a Ganoes Paran I've been working on. Still got to work out the lighting and tighten up the armor.

Attached File(s)

#154 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

That version of ganoes is excellent!

#155 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Very nice work! :D Inspires me to spend some more time on my own work ;P

I have a new drawing tablet now: Cintiq 12WX...what a lovely device! I still have one for sale for a sweet price, so if someone is interested..
At the moment working on a scene in which Seguleh (3th or lower in rankings) is taking on two T'lan Imass. To get some ideas about the T'lan Imass I googled some skinny people and came on the topic of anorexia. It sound really absurd, and maybe offensive (these people have a condition that hurts them) but seems to me that a T'lan Imass could look like that.
I will make one T'lan with a more or less intact/normal physique, and one who has taken on more damage :p
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#156 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Made several adjustments, QB is "shattering" a veil, which feels more like mockra. I'd say this is starting to look quite good. next post will be on DA.

oh and threw in a sketch of trull aswell :D ...

Attached File  Sneaking In 14s.jpg (269.55K)
Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  TRULL.jpg (155.32K)
Number of downloads: 1

#157 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

You know, I never thought of shorning as just doing the top and leaving the horseshoe, but that really does emphasize punishment. That said, I think the moment he found a spear would be the moment he decided to cut the rest of his hair off.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#158 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I started off that sketch imagining kaladin from the way of kings then I thought of how similar Trull and Kaladin are as characters. suddenly my rough became a version of trull as I had never imagined him before. The shorning and sigil especially.

I will agree with you, not many would keep that hairstyle but I think it emphasized the fact this was done to him against his will? Not sure what I am saying here but regardless I know theres plenty I could change about his general look. More seal skins are in order or so I am told.

#159 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

just to be a pedantic bear for a moment (and wow it's been awhile since that one's come up), but the compound that was used to remove trulls hair was rubbed into his entire scalp. dudes egg-shell bald. still, artistic license, so do w.e you like :p
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#160 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

LATEST UPDATES ON my WIPs

First up: Caladan Brood. Tempted to have Kruppe in the fuzzy foreground but then we lose detail on the main point of this image.
Still not sure where this will go but it isn't telling a story so I don't really like it as much.

Attached File  CALADAN BROODs.jpg (193.5K)
Number of downloads: 7

Next Trull totaly bald. Have no idea how to develop the nascent. thought red complimented the ochre on his head but maybe working on the Caladan Brood image shifted my bias. Anyways this is more correct, thank you pedantic ST :sweat:

Attached File  TRULL2.jpg (118.29K)
Number of downloads: 3

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 02 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users