• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

QuickTidal, on 10 August 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

End of Disc One, on 10 August 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

In response to QT, this is not a spoiler but I'll put it in tags anyway

Spoiler

Spoiler

You will find this was discussed recently on the general books topic http://forum.malazan...showtopic=24330

#22 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

End of Disc One, on 06 August 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

I can understand struggling with this one because really not much is happening. I'm just enjoying seeing the world, and how it defies what we used to think about it.

Pretty much felt this way the whole way through the book - so interesting to see the tiste/Azathanai history and how it was before everything changed.

This post has been edited by waylander001: 10 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#23 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

QuickTidal, on 09 August 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Around page 110 now and I have one question:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by waylander001: 10 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Just finished the book. Overall impression, as an entry into the list of Malazan Books, a great book that tells us so many things that we have wanted to know. As a stand alone fantasy book? Overly long, meandering and a bit boring. I think the final judgement of this book will rest upon the completion of the trilogy. As an opening book that sets the stage for the other two books it does a good job of laying the ground work but as a stand alone story it was not very satisfying, lacked any feeling of build up and climax and felt like it was spread to thin. In my opinion.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 10 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

#25 User is offline   helgi 

• Recruit

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Just a short comment regarding size... I don't think the Tiste population at this point in time was huge.

Draconus had gathered "a lot" of Houseblades. The Highborn were afraid he could even rival the legion... and he had 600 Houseblades as far as I know?

I might be misremembering things, but I always felt that the Tiste population was pretty damn small and their armies weren't that large.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

I can't remember the exact number but I believe that when the battle was done in Midnight Tides prologue there was 400,000 Tiste Edur and some 50-70,000 Tiste Andii left on the battlefield. That's close to half a million in just that Exodus, after they took heavy loses. Then there is Rake's Exodus. And Andarists I presume? Maybe others we don't know of. Then you have to factor in how many Tiste dies during the coming Civil War. I am thinking A LOT. Then consider that the entire population is split in 2 or 3. Many become Liosan. Many become Edur. There must have been millions and millions of Tiste is my impression.

I don't think the Sundering of Emurhlan comes that long after the Civil War. Maybe there is but the way things are escalating in this book I have a feeling that everything went to hell in a handbasket in a matter of years.

#27 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Rakes Andii numbers are quite small. Enddest Silann notes that when he came through the gate he had few followers. The Andi in MoonsSpawn is 1400 in MOI (we are told this in a conversation between Rake and Korlat) yet this does not fit in with the TA being the most numerically strong force in Broods legions which is the impression we get. In TCG Twilight sees them in there thousands which as I pointed out at the time isnt consistent. One theory is that the Black Coral event called all Andii to Coral thus bolstering the numbers but this is not mentioned and is simply conjecture to make up the numbers.

Draconus has around 6-700 housblades and this is considered alot but only for a private house. Only MD has more (say 1000) whereas Urusanders Legion was 7000 strong. I see from Apts overall impresions post he felt the Tiste civilisatiomn wasnt epic and I agree. The population of Kurald Galain, the city state, is significantly smaller. No doubt there will be a population explosion soon when the lines are drawn, presumably sometime when Kurald Galain becomes a warren proper rather than a city state.

The MT figures in the prologue have 400 000 TA against 55000 Kell Hunters, with just under a thousand surviving given their isolation by the Edur. 200 000 Edur were brought to battlew with around 18 000 surviving. These are off the top of my head but they seem right. So at this point Urusanders Legion, the most numerically superior force in the book doesnt even meet the depleted numbers of the Edur yet. However we se see that Sandalath dies in the battle so its more likely Ruins exodus was a largely populatory migration rather than an invading army. We have no figures for the peasantry so its possible they are substantial.

In regards to how many Tiste die in the Civil War we have flashbacks of the Hust Legion holding back the Lightwall in a desperate attempt to buy people time. We also have I think an Enddest Sillan flashback or POV moment where he claimed Rake ruled Kharkanas's empty halls and streets suggesting that though peace amongst the Andii (or all Tiste peoples) was won by Rake it was at the cost of alot of lives. Though this may not be the case and the vacating of kharkanas could simply have been a banishing of those who would not follow MD which may have been many, thus the large Kharkanas population may have left to found Saranas.

Alot of questions, inconsistencies with the figures etc. The one thing that might happen is that this is still the Elder unformed Age and the TA are incredibly long lived. So we might have Fall of Light happening 1000 years after FOD yet still having all the same characters thus explaining the boosted population.

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 11 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

#28 User is offline   Ivan Kersovic 

• Nobody
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Edit: Oh god accidentally spoiler

Should have read the top. Fixed now :) I was just responding to the post above. If you must read what I said, click below, but it is some spoilers for the book.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ivan Kersovic: 11 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Barkeep

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Halfway through...and though I am enjoying it...I am missing the gallows humour of the Malazan soldiery...in fact there seems to be a distinctly serious tone to ALL the proceedings, with very little humour whatsoever.

That's my only complaint so far. It kind of makes the book bleaker than it needs to be.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

I'm only up to the beginning of Book 4 at this point, but had to get a crazy theory off my chest:

Spoiler

Whaddaya think?
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#31 User is offline   AnomanderRakeSoD 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Some questions for fellow readers:

Spoiler

#32 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Ivan Kersovic, on 11 August 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Edit: Oh god accidentally spoiler

Should have read the top. Fixed now :wallbash: I was just responding to the post above. If you must read what I said, click below, but it is some spoilers for the book.

Spoiler

I find the huge history to be believable, and represents an aspect of high magic fantasy that only SE seems to grasp. When individuals can be born with the power of several nuclear bombs society is pretty much bound to collaps again and again.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#33 User is offline   Moss 

• Recruit

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Spoiler

#34 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Moss, on 13 August 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 13 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Other than a lack of humour I have one other complaint as I read.

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

AnomanderRakeSoD, on 12 August 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Some questions for fellow readers:

Spoiler

Moss, on 13 August 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Spoiler

QuickTidal, on 13 August 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Other than a lack of humour I have one other complaint as I read.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 13 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Aptorius, on 13 August 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

#38 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Spoiler

#39 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

QuickTidal, on 13 August 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Aptorius, on 13 August 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Remember that this entire story is told by Gallan, who readily admits in the prologue to the use of some artistic flourish.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#40 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

And theres the problem. We might as well not believe a single word about anything cosmological/timeline-wise/character-based in this trilogy. Gallan is SE's get-out. I think there is no point at all in trying to reconcile this trilogy with the 10 book cycle. It exists in an alternate universe. It can be enjoyed for itself (and I did enjoy many parts of it) but don't bother using it's facts to make sense with the 10 book cycle.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 13 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users