• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My thoughts while reading FOD No spoilers in here

#61 User is offline   Sandalath 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

As Morgoth as already said in regard to a different topic 300,000 years is a long time for Kallor to change his opinion of Jaghut in general. I'm not surprised he raised no objections.

Although to be honest I have very few recollections of what happened with silverfox as it has been about 6 or seven years since I read it. I seem to remember him having a few wars Jaghut Tyrants.

#62 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

QuickTidal, on 10 August 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

End of Disc One, on 10 August 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

In response to QT, this is not a spoiler but I'll put it in tags anyway

Spoiler

Spoiler

While the scene was a bit chaotic, it appeared that no, V/G was never Darnified. The Hust officer told Lord Hust it was just to pacify him.

helgi, on 11 August 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

Just a short comment regarding size... I don't think the Tiste population at this point in time was huge.

Thousands but not millions.
I suspect that a race that lives thousands of years with a low birthrate isn't going to hit millions.

I might be misremembering things, but I always felt that the Tiste population was pretty damn small and their armies weren't that large.

Draconus had gathered "a lot" of Houseblades. The Highborn were afraid he could even rival the legion... and he had 600 Houseblades as far as I know?

When the Borderswords attack House Dracons they are stunned to see that there are, iirc, 800, more than double what there were when Drac and co left at the start. The B'Swords still out numbered them but we all know how that turned out.

Skywalker, on 12 August 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm only up to the beginning of Book 4 at this point, but had to get a crazy theory off my chest:

Spoiler

Whaddaya think?

I'm going w Grizzin as Edgewalker.

Moss, on 13 August 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Spoiler

You haven't read OST yet, have you?
The characterization fits just fine. and in any event bear in mind people can change in a few hundred thousand years.

Aptorius, on 13 August 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Spoiler

Korlat: Not born yet. Certain events referred to in DoD and TCG have yet to happen.

Morgoth, on 13 August 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 13 August 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Aptorius, on 13 August 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Remember that this entire story is told by Gallan, who readily admits in the prologue to the use of some artistic flourish.

Mentioned else thread, i had this issue with the book as well. There were few scenes, if any, that were 'simply' action to advance the story. It seemed like every segment however minor, included observations on life, the universe and everything, and at a certain point it became too much.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#63 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Ceda Cicero, on 13 August 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 13 August 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Morgoth, on 13 August 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 13 August 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Aptorius, on 13 August 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Remember that this entire story is told by Gallan, who readily admits in the prologue to the use of some artistic flourish.

Huh, I'd forgotten that he said that (though I recall noting it and thinking "Unreliable narrator, gotcha."). A very good point.

I mean, the point about Gallan and the prelude is the most salient here.

I'm not saying it's a waste of time or an valueless exercise to question things, note inconsistencies, and try to iron them out as best you can (ie Brood, T'riss, etc.) What I will say is that SE has made it pretty clear (the prelude to FoD was, I think, the most blatant instance of this) that the inconsistencies are going to be there, and frankly, he doesn't give a fuck. The question ultimately becomes whether you can stomach that or not.

For my part, I found myself, for whatever reason, way less willing to stomach them now, with a new trilogy, than I was when I was in the grip of MBotF, even though I'm fully aware that if I could— and just get over them, and appreciate all of SE's remarkable strengths and what it is he's trying to do, the same way I did with MBotF—it would be vastly rewarding.

Maybe it's just because it's a new series, or maybe because I'd pinned too much expectation on this trilogy being a kind of "herein lie answers" trilogy.

There are answers, but there are also more questions.
It's hard to overlook that although FoD takes place millenia before MBF, the world we're seeing has already been around for a long long time... Jaghut civilization has come and gone, the Jheck split into jheck and Jheleckan, there's a Tiste legend involving Tiste heroes killing Tiam, the Eres'al have come and gone (sort of).... what we're seeing now, disregarding the filter provided by Gallan, is being influenced by as much history behind and yet to come.

My brainz hurt.

QuickTidal, on 14 August 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Iamme, on 14 August 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

There are Gods and then there are Gods in waiting. A god needs worshipers. A god needs to claim his/her position. Just existing doesn't make you one.

Yeah, that whole conversation was a bit of a convoluted mess wasn't it? It also makes the water the gods exist in a rather weak tea to me...

I like the suggestion that gods evolve and don't just spring into existance.

Puck, on 17 August 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I have a question: where does it say that Nightchill and Korlat are two manifestations of the Sister of Cold Nights? I see you mentioning this for the second time now and aside from Korlat taking on the Andii title of 'Sister of Night' or something like that at the end of tCG I can't remember any connection.

littlemissmetal, on 17 August 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

It's possibly my interpretation that's askew, but she offers to be Sister of Night(s) and then I think it's Nimander gives the full title "Sister of Cold Nights" – it seemed a bit too glaring to be a mistake so I assumed the titles are meant to be interpreted as one and the same.

EDIT: After some reading around, I'm not so sure. Sister of Night is a role in the royal house of the Shake. I'm sure Nimander uses the entire phrase "Sister of Cold Nights" though. Argh!

Nightchill was also known as Sister of Cold Nights.
Nimander gives Korlat that same title.
Other than an historical link, we don't know much.

#64 User is offline   kennes79 

• Recruit

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

The mistakes in chronology/details and possible retcons between volumes doesnt bother me. I would much rather have Steves staggering output of material rather than him taking say 2 years between each volume [or 5-6 if you are GRRM!] If that were the case the MBotF wouldnt be done till 2020! I take what fits and when something doesnt fit I invent my own version of Malaz history to fix the problem.

Roll on Fall of Light! (I think?)

#65 User is offline   Sanctume 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Reading

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

I just had to refer to this draconean tree: http://forum.malazan...topic=3588&st=0

#66 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Sanctume, on 11 September 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

I just had to refer to this draconean tree: http://forum.malazan...topic=3588&st=0

Well, it looks like Baruk was rather wrong in his ascertians. Though I think that metaphorically, it's near-correct (the Purake brothers are the first sons of Mother Dark, but not the biological sons of her).

#67 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

kcf, on 11 September 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

Well, it looks like Baruk was rather wrong in his ascertians. Though I think that metaphorically, it's near-correct (the Purake brothers are the first sons of Mother Dark, but not the biological sons of her).

FoD opens up the possibility that she had actual biological sons wandering around too tho. Possibly even by Draconus.

#68 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

After reading FoD it certainly puts a new spin on Phaed's personality if she is a daughter of Envy. Looking back on her now as she was in MoI its disconcerting, although i'm thinking a reread now after getting a better picture through this and OST might be enlightning.

#69 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Well, Chris -the guy who posted the tree- admitted to making a few changes simply to fuck with us.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#70 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

Just about halfway through it, finished the second part/book a few minutes ago.

Spoiler

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#71 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Defiance, on 21 September 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#72 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

Use Of Weapons, on 21 September 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Defiance, on 21 September 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

despite not even appearing in the book, what k'rul is doing is what i want to know about the most. there are so many possibilities and implications to his actions. i just keep coming back to this quote (although im gonna have to paraphrase since i can't for the life of me recall which book it's in), "Understand, all that K'rul created was motivated by the love of possibility. the myriad, infinite strands of the future."

not even sure if i got the gist correctly, but i think, like the MoI prologue, that it is a huge clue as to how the world becomes the way it is in MBotF.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#73 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

It's entirely possible that we've been thinking of K'Rul wrongly. His title, 'Maker of Paths' seemed directly to relate to the warrens (Path of such-and-such). But what if it's more about shaping the route to the future?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#74 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Of course, when I say 'we,' I of course mean 'I' :roll:
-- Oscar Wilde

#75 User is offline   AnomanderRakeSoD 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

I love the way I successfully called the fact that Urusander is FL, in these forums, before the book was even published.

#76 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

Still reading.

Had to put the book down for a little bit after chapter 13. In a way I'm glad that even after everything I've read, this still disturbed me.

Spoiler

Edit: .....Aaaaaand chapter 14 contains even more terrible things.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 24 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#77 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

Speaking of terrible things (and Kanese S, I forget chapter numbers and events therein, so this may be what you were referring to in your previous post)...

Spoiler

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#78 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

It's really best not to think about what she was doing.

Spoiler

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#79 User is offline   Smuuve 

• Recruit

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Morgoth, on 13 August 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

blackzoid, on 13 August 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

And theres the problem. We might as well not believe a single word about anything cosmological/timeline-wise/character-based in this trilogy. Gallan is SE's get-out. I think there is no point at all in trying to reconcile this trilogy with the 10 book cycle. It exists in an alternate universe. It can be enjoyed for itself (and I did enjoy many parts of it) but don't bother using it's facts to make sense with the 10 book cycle.

I see very little in FoD that doesn't fit well with what we've learned throughout MBotF. Might be the nature of T'riss (and yeah, I can see the Brood angle) but those are pretty insignificant.

When that is said, having an unreliable narrator is a pretty common literary tool, and only forces you to think a little more than if everything is told from the view of God.

This is just plain nonsense. Very little we can't square??? Name 1 thing you CAN square in this book without high powered construction equipment!! Do you work for TOR or SE or both?

This post has been edited by Smuuve: 26 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

#80 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

here's one that is no problem at all to square, i just never found a way to post about it.

why is brood an azathanai yet not an elder god? well, it's actually really simple.

Anomander Rake and Caladan Brood are bound. in one of the first scenes of the book, we find the reason for brood and rakes eons long partnership. the vows made over andarist's hearthstone. caladan admits that there is no precedence for what occurs there and has no idea how it will effect the two of them. seems obvious to me that the nature of their oaths leads to caladan never being able to have worshippers, since he and rake are already bound together in a blood relationship. no room for worshippers. everyone always talks about rake denying his worshippers, but he was a leader of his people while caladan was a solitary azathanai. by the time other azathanai are transitioning into elder gods with mortal worshippers, caladan has already been roped into this mono a mono with rake.

lets see... draconus' children seem to be completely unknown outside his household, so envy and spite being children while their supposed mother sheltatha lore is not much older is not all that strange if draconus later uses them to forge an alliance with sheltatha or her family. intervening millenia could also muddle things.

point is, many things we learn in the malazan book of the fallen about the mythos of the world is just that - myth. myth reflects reality, but it is almost never factually accurate.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users