Malazan Empire: Documentaries: The Thread - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Documentaries: The Thread Hot Docs, and which ones we love!

#21 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst - a six part documentary on HBO. Man, that shit will give you the heebie-jeebies. And boy oh boy, the ending of the 6th episode and the events that followed it's airing. Man, talk about shivers up and down the spine! phew!
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

Watched Last Days in Vietnam on PBS last night. Every bit deserving of the Oscar nomination it received. Especially riveting was the telling (with footage) of the South Vietnamese helicopters landing on a small destroyer one at a time in the South China Sea.

Forgotten Ship: A Daring Rescue As Saigon Fell

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

Got to sit down and watch the HBO Scientology expose documentary GOING CLEAR last night.

As much as I felt Scientology was a fucked up thing before...this amplifies how fucked up it is to the nth degree. Scary. Ass. Shit.

Especially because a few of the interviewee's who have left the religion were top brass people and the shit they are exposing is crazy. I mean one top lieutenant guy was juxtaposed only a few years back getting interviewed where he lied when asked direct questions while he was a Scientologist...with the modern interview where he admits he lied through his teeth and everything the interviewer from the old interview questioned him about was not only true but even more brutal than was assumed.

Also, the whole thing about the whereabouts of the leaders wife is Messed up.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

Just got back from the Sheffield Docfest closer, a documentary about Monty Python shot around their reunion show last year, with a Q&A session with Michael Palin afterwards. Awesome stuff, definitely a must-see for all MP fans out there! They were saying it will be available on iTunes soon, I think.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

Just totally realized that I've never posted about this show here, but if you have ANY Wanderlust in you at all, and you LOVE gorgeous High Def cinematography (and badass downtempo music)...stop and go watch DEPARTURES right now.

It's a Canadian show (done by two guys who went to my College [a few years after I graduated] and co-hosted by a third) with three seasons. Done a few years ago (I think 2009-ish was when it started).

It is inspiring, amazingly shot, Scott & Justin who host (and Andre, who handles the phenomenal camera-work) are charming and fun to watch. They go off the beaten path in nearly every place they go. They aspire to see the places that the normal traveler wouldn't see, and experience the cultures of those places at the ground level.

I've seen all three seasons (I own them on BluRay) MANY times. I watch them when I'm feeling blue with the state of the world, and they cheer me up. When I travel, this show has inspired me to try to get off the beaten path myself and see things I would not normally go to see.

WELL, WELL worth your time. (On Netflix currently)

So, while I await a 4th Season (which Scott & Andre said they'd do if there was enough interest and if they could make it better than the first 3 seasons) I'll pass this great show onto you fine forumites who like documentaries.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

Watched Werner Herzog's 2010 Doc HAPPY PEOPLE: A YEAR IN THE TAIGA which is (amazingly) nothing short of fascinating.

It depicts the life of the people in the village of Bakhtia along the Yenisei River in the Siberian taiga. In particular, it focuses on the trappers who hunt for fur animals like sable. It also briefly detours in to a look at the life of native Ket people.

It follows a few different trappers through the course of their year, and what work goes into living in such an unforgiving wilderness. I mean we are talking about guys who cut down huge trees and then use old time-tested ways of making skiis for later in the year when they will need them. I've never watched something that shows humans in this day and age living like their ancestors and doing it amazingly well.

Well worth watching, and not just for Herzog's Scwarzennegger-like lulling narration.

EDIT: Oh, and it's on Netflix.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

#27 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

Currently rewatching a bunch of Louis Theroux ones, cos I love him and there are so many on Netflix. Still shocking tbh, especially the "Louis and the Nazi's" and "The Most Hated Family in America" I knew what was coming but still couldn't help but shake my head in wonder and disgust!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

I watched Louis's two-parter on NGRIs in an Ohio mental facility. Lots of tough stuff, but somehow it was the most (speaking relatively here) hopeful tone I've ever seen him strike.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:52 AM

Twinsters, about two adult adoptees on different continents who by chance find out they look a lot alike, and might actually be long lost twins. Moving because it's often heartwarming, which is a seeming rarity for feature length docs.

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

This one was part of the focus of the most recent ep of the 99% Invisible podcast.

Up for rent on iTunes.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

Danny O'Dwyer formerly the main host of Gamespot's the Lobby and The Point quit his job a while ago to go do documentaries about video games full time.

He set up a company called Noclip and is fully funded via Patreon. He's now travelling around the globe interviewing people and telling stories. He's a very likable character and I always love the enthusiasm he brings to the camera.

He's finished his first series about Rocket League and is about to begin one on the DOOM series.

This is the announcement trailer for noclip:

This is the teaser for DOOM:

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

The first part of the documentary on the video game studio id and DOOM is up:

For those who don't follow games closely, DOOM 4s release here in 2016 was a surprise success. The company had made a couple of poor releases that the fans didn't like much, and the company's name was not worth much any longer. So the release of DOOM 4 and the quality of the game was like a resurrection.

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

A film student made a short film about phone theft. He allowed a decoy phone to be stolen and documented the process of reporting the theft and what happened afterwards with the phone. He spent months recording the theif's acitivity with the phone, learning about the thief and getting an intimate look into his life.

It's a different perspective on what people can actually do with modern surveillance.

This post has been edited by Apt: 16 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostApt, on 16 December 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

A film student made a short film about phone theft. He allowed a decoy phone to be stolen and documented the process of reporting the theft and what happened afterwards with the phone. He spent months recording the theif's acitivity with the phone, learning about the thief and getting an intimate look into his life.

It's a different perspective on what people can actually do with modern surveillance.

Watched it. Completely fascinating! Thanks Apt!

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Shit.

Documentarian responsible for SHARKWATER and ®EVOLUTION (and the forthcoming SHARKWATER: EXTINCTION) Rob Stewart (who is from my city) has gone missing yesterday evening in a dive at a wreck off the Florida Keys.

I hope to hell he's okay...but the fact that they've not found him yet makes me think this won't have a happy ending.

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

Update, Rob was found dead 200+ feet down by the US Coast Guard on Friday evening. SO sad. SHARKWATER: EXTINCTION is still coming, but now attached with a melancholy that its creator has passed.

Here is a tribute video his close friend put together.

Rob Stewart Tribute

#37 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

With the 25th anniversary of the riots in Los Angeles following the Rodney King verdicts there has been a number of different specials and programming on the television last week and this week. One of the best is the documentary LA 92. It separates itself in that it lets the images and camera footage speak for itself without a lot of additional wonky analysis and opinions. There are opinions by various people, mind you, but it strikes the right balance with images of that harrowing day.

#38 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

Watched The Eagle Huntress. Excellent documentary. It's straight forward and succinct. Not filled with any chaff whatsoever.

It you want to be inspired, watch this. If you have a daughter or niece who is going through a bad spell, sit down and watch this with her.

Spot on narration by Daisy Ridley.

Majestic and empowering.

I give The Eagle Huntress 5 Aisholpan's heart warming smiles out of 5. Posted Image

#39 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:33 AM

They're just gonna show the Real World season with Puck and Pedro. That's all you really need to know about the 90s.

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostDown South, on 15 August 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

Haha Y2K was covered this week on 90's. I said goodbye to 99 & hello to 00 in the best way a 19 yr old could..getting laid while we were watching my watch and wondering if the power would go out.

Oh man, I was 22 and spent it at the shoddiest "club" in my hometown called NRG/The Kingdom...where they put on a ticketed New Years event called "Y-not-go-2-Kingdom" hosted by this radio DJ who was moderately famous (who OD'ed a few years ago because he was a cokehead) who fucking TALKED through the song they played at Y2K-Midnight which was the fucking perfectly chosen Underworld's Born Slippy....but yeah, the MFer talked through it.

I don't even recall who all was there with me.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users