Malazan Empire: Documentaries: The Thread - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Documentaries: The Thread Hot Docs, and which ones we love!

#61 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:33 AM

Daniel Johnston has died. His passing hits me hard and so the 'messing with your grove' thread just isn't the place, imo, to recognize how impactful he and his art is to a lot of people. So I thought bringing your attention to the documentary, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, would introduce you guys to this sweet, tender soul, and be a nice way to remember him. RIP Daniel Johnston.

#62 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:14 AM

Well said. Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#63 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

They Shall Not Grow Old.

You hear the phrase: "war is hell" thrown around a lot. This documentary, lead by Peter Jackson, shows footage rarely seen that hits you with the full impact of that saying. Goodness gracious it is a harrowing documentary about WWI. The soldiers' descriptions of the trenches and existing (and surviving) through that is hard to comprehend. Be forewarned, it's not for the squeamish, but excellent and well worth watching.

#64 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

Started watching a Netflix documentary called WILD WILD COUNTRY and 1 episode in and I'm hooked. It's about Guru Bhagwan Rajneesh and how his cult/new age movement/whatever you want to call it bought up like 60,000 acres of land in rural Oregon. I don't know much about the series but I think it's going to get mental soon. The first episode was just setting up who they were and how they ended up there. They actually interview a bunch of people who were a part of it and even a lady who was at the top of the organisation.

Really fascinating and I shall definitely watch all of it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#65 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 November 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

Started watching a Netflix documentary called WILD WILD COUNTRY and 1 episode in and I'm hooked. It's about Guru Bhagwan Rajneesh and how his cult/new age movement/whatever you want to call it bought up like 60,000 acres of land in rural Oregon. I don't know much about the series but I think it's going to get mental soon. The first episode was just setting up who they were and how they ended up there. They actually interview a bunch of people who were a part of it and even a lady who was at the top of the organisation.

Really fascinating and I shall definitely watch all of it!

Oh man this stepped up a level, they be poisoning entire towns! I can't believe I'd never heard of this story before now. Think it's going to get worse before it gets better...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#66 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

Watched Rick Steve's travel documentary - The Story of Fascism in Europe.

The parallels to how things are trending in today's political climate around the globe are chilling. Grab that Trump supporter/voter you care about and make them watch this. Watch it with them and I know throughout the viewing you'll be saying to them "see! any of this seem familiar!" "This seems to ring true right now, agree?"

There are two breaks throughout the 90 min. where Rick Steves talks. This quote from him is noteworthy - "History is speaking to us" - that pretty much says it all, hopefully we are listening.

#67 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:14 PM

Watched The Cove.

Never seen it before, but I went in knowing what it was about. It is disturbing, no doubt about it. I know it won the 2010 Academy Award, and I remember reading about it at the time. Watching it now though, with some distance from the fervor and passion it generated, I feel somewhat conflicted. It's a horrible activity, but I can't help but feel hypocrisy in knowing what I (and we) know about factory farming and industrial stock houses. The sidebar heist narrative that they interjected seemed tone-deaf to me also, considering the subject matter. The documentary captivated me for sure, not in a pleasant way, there are images that I would not recommend for feint of heart or overly sensitive people. Especially if you love dolphins. Also, fuck vacation resorts/destinations that offer 'swim with dolphins' packages. Human beings are truly terrible.

#68 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:30 AM

The "recommended for you" algorithm has brought this front and center for me. Whooboy, it looks batshit crazy.

#69 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:33 PM

Watched The Inventor: Out For Blood In Silicon Valley.

It was unsettling. Elizabeth Holmes is a disturbing person to observe and the weirdness is an all encompassing presence in her personality. The deep voice thing is so f'd up, she started low and then took it to octaves even lower, I suppose for effect to be taken even more seriously. And her blood shot eyes from not blinking was just about enough for me to flip it off, but I powered through it. And here is a lot of b-roll during the doc where you get the full impact of her strange mannerisms. The people backing her, many from respected backgrounds and careers, who were drinking the Kool-Aid was surprising.

#70 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

So Michael Moore's new Doc (PLANET OF THE HUMANS) is an about face from his previous work (where he's a staunch leftist), and bends the other way almost fucking endorsing the Fossil Fuel industry...surprising everyone, by taking pot shots at clean energy...not sure what happened in Moore's life, but he's clearly gone off the deep end with this new doc.

Don't bother watching it, here's someone easily debunking it...

https://pvbuzz.com/p...-of-the-humans/

Funnily enough, as a film/doc viewer of many years, seeing the bullshit in documentaries that bends around the truth to tell a compelling "story" is easier here than elsewhere...but yeah, what a shitshow.

Everyone should just watch REVOLUTION instead, or THE 11th HOUR. Both are far superior pieces about clean energy and the future.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#71 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:28 PM

Finished up the HBO documentary series I'll Be Gone in the Dark. If you are in any minor way interested in the true crime genre of shows/books/media, you owe it to yourself to watch this. Flippn' A it is gripping. I'm not a true crime addict personally, but I found this tense and harrowing and so very fascinating. Based on the book by Michelle McNamara (and produced and developed while she is still working on the book), it is broken into 6 episodes. Sadly Michelle McNamara died while still working on the book, but it was completed by her husband (comedian/actor Patton Oswalt) and friends in the true crime online community. Damn she has masterful control with writing outstanding and compelling observations that the documentary, smartly so, features throughout. She also had an absolute obsession with this case and by the end she nails pretty much everything about the killer down to the smallest details. I was fookin' gobsmacked by that talent. And fuckin A, I am humbled by her writing. So much so, I'm going to read the book. Any you page turning, tree killers read the book? Any good?

In summary, watch I'll Be Gone in the Dark. Very much worth it. You won't be disappointed.

#72 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:13 PM

Watched the 2 part HBO documentary Agents of Chaos. We're right back to 2016 and haven't done or learned anything. The recent Hunter Biden, laptop, emails found by computer repair man is an example.

Here's the trailer.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users