Malazan Empire: Has anybody read... - Malazan Empire

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anybody read... ...and what did you think?

#581 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:08 PM

War of the Roses is a period I know very little of to be honest, so I wouldn't even know if he was fudging it massively.

For the Rome series there a few massive deviations from the script so to speak, but to the betterment of the narrative and characterisation he gives the big names. If (massive derail) You're looking for a less popcorn Cornwellesque look at Rome, Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series is fucking superb

#582 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:09 PM

And if you're looking for an even more popcorn and Cornwellesque take on Rome, pick up Simon Scarrows Eagle series

#583 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:48 AM

View PostMacros, on 29 September 2021 - 07:08 PM, said:

War of the Roses is a period I know very little of to be honest, so I wouldn't even know if he was fudging it massively.

For the Rome series there a few massive deviations from the script so to speak, but to the betterment of the narrative and characterisation he gives the big names. If (massive derail) You're looking for a less popcorn Cornwellesque look at Rome, Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series is fucking superb

I have learned to trust your tastes over the years. I just picked up FIRST MAN IN ROME and will start it as soon as I finish my current ebook.

#584 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:43 AM

+1 on Masters of Rome series. Brilliant.

Beware though it may be hard to keep track of characters because they have a tendency to name their kids the same as themselves. Nicknames help ( eg "Piggle wiggle" and "Piglet"). :rofl:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#585 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:16 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 September 2021 - 07:09 PM, said:

And if you're looking for an even more popcorn and Cornwellesque take on Rome, pick up Simon Scarrows Eagle series

Seconded!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#586 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 September 2021 - 12:16 PM, said:

Seconded!

To add to this,, Adrian Goldsworthy's Vindolanda was recommended to me by a colleague on the basis that Goldsworthy is an academic historian who cares for accuracy, but also has the ability to write a cracking yarn.

I'm two thirds of the way through the book presently and agree wholeheartedly with my colleague - so would definitely recommend that too :)

But for popcorn, definitely thirding the Scarrow recommendation. They're good fun.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 September 2021 - 02:36 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#587 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 30 September 2021 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 September 2021 - 12:16 PM, said:

Seconded!

To add to this, Adrian Goldsworthy's Vindolanda was recommended to me by a colleague on the basis that Goldsworthy is an academic historian who cares for accuracy, but also has the ability to write a cracking yarn.

I'm two thirds of the way through the book presently and agree wholeheartedly with my colleague - so would definitely recommend that too :)

*googles title*

Goddamnit, I'm in!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#588 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:36 PM

Hope you enjoy it, I'm loving it! :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#589 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:48 PM

Why RTB WHY????

#590 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:51 PM

View PostMacros, on 30 September 2021 - 02:48 PM, said:

Why RTB WHY????

Because I'm a rascal Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#591 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:02 PM

Turns out it's a trilogy!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#592 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:13 PM

Yep, I've got book 2 waiting in the wings. This colleague is going to be terrible for my bank balance, I can tell Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#593 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:48 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 September 2021 - 03:02 PM, said:

Turns out it's a trilogy!

Not just that, he's shifted the lead character from the orignal 3 books to a new area of the Empire to kick off a new trilogy too (THE FORT).

#594 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:11 PM

Sigh, ordered the Vindolanda trilogy

#595 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:38 PM

Now I have a dilemma. Do I start McCullough as planned or do I buy and start VINDOLANDA to get in on the ground floor with the three of you?

I also grabbed the first EAGLES book on audio. You didn't tell me there are 20 of these!

This post has been edited by JPK: 30 September 2021 - 08:09 PM

#596 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:52 PM

muwahahaahaha

#597 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 31 October 2021 - 02:22 AM

This is perhaps the best place to ask this.

I assume many here have read Glen Cook's Black Company series. My question is would you recommend them to me?

The reason I ask is because they, alongside Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series, were a huge influence on the MBotF according to Erikson in his preface to Gardens of the Moon, the difference being that the Black Company is far more bleak and cynical in tone than MBotF. From what I have read they're very popular with military guys because they don't romanticize military life and portrays it realistically, Cook himself having a military background. I also get the feeling that they are way more character driven than Malazan.

I have no military experience whatsoever and found the military parts of Malazan to be amongst the most boring in the series. Based on that info would you you still encourage me to give it a try or just ignore it?

#598 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 October 2021 - 06:43 AM

While avoiding spoilers, I'll say: Black Company is written almost exclusively from a single perspective, the company's Annalist, as he records the events the mercenary company is party to. In terms of being character driven, it's rather more polar than Malazan -- you get to know a few characters very well, and everyone else is much more distanced than the secondary Malazan folks, as a matter of what the Annalist finds pertinent to record. In addition, events that are seemingly of grave (or even epic) significance are often summed up rather succinctly, and after the fact rather than in the heat of things (in contract to what you'd get from a more omniscient narrator).

I know this sounds cold and academic, and it was off-putting to me at first, but there's this cumulative effect to it as you really get to know the major characters, and as events necessarily dictate that the writing gets more personal. I mean he has discernible personality anyway, but his writing evolves alongside the Black Company's journey. All of which is to affirm that it's very character driven and it doesn't get bogged down in military minutiae, but it's such a unique narrative voice that it's hard to predict how someone will take to it. It didn't strike me as cynical btw -- maybe relative to MBotF, but Dr. Seuss is more cynical than Malazan.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, with the note that there's a curve to it. Luckily none of the individual novels are very long and it's collected in omnibi, so you can get the first three in one and get a good preliminary sense of things.

This post has been edited by worry: 31 October 2021 - 06:45 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#599 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 31 October 2021 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the overview, worry.

#600 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:50 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 31 October 2021 - 06:53 AM, said:

Thanks for the overview, worry.

I second worry's summary.