reading Wheel of Time for the first time

#61 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Tehol the Only, on 18 January 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Why that's great news! I'm even starting to like nynaeve (which is saying something)

If i absolutely have to complain about something
Spoiler

They don't go away—they keep getting worse until the very end—but I don't think they are ever used in the way you fear.

Edit: one of them is used in the last book, but we'll talk about that one when you make it that far.

This post has been edited by Terez: 18 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#62 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

a hundred pages left in LoC

Spoiler

Edit: finished
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 23 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#63 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Just finished A Crown of Swords. That was... good! Surprisingly so!
Sure, nothing really groundbreaking happened in this book (with the possible exception of
Spoiler
), but the writing itself was WAY better than previous volumes.
-The pace is kinda slow, but steady enough to be enjoyable (while in LoC it went from too slow to too fast in a matter of pages)
-The book is a lot less repetitive than previous installments
-I was under the impression that RJ tried to experiment a bit more with PoVs in this one.
-Finally some serious character developement (that doesn't rely on childish man/women tropes)

Overall this was a VERY pleasant read... if that's what people around the internet mean for "series going downhill", well i hope it keeps sinking. On to Path of Daggers!

#64 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I loved TPOD. Judging by your reaction to TFOH, you might find the early chapters with the girls tedious, and Mat is not in the book at all, but the character development for Rand and Egwene is really heavy. Overall, it's a very dark book, and that's part of what I like about it.

There it is.

#65 User is offline   Mikkelinski 

• Corporal

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I picked up these books throughout last year, reading the first 9 (aka, finishing Winter's Heart), but after that I just couldn't be bothered to pick up the next book even though I had promised myself to get through the series just for the sake of it. I don't know why I just can't seem to enjoy them because my reading habits seem to match a lot of you guys that post here. Might be I just overloaded by reading the books without taking breaks from the series. The books feel quite more similar to each other compared to say the Malazan books (in my opinion), because I didn't have a problem churning through those. Another reason is just the overall slow-down in the series. Much like I feel with GRRMs last two books (that, while cool, are dragging on and of much lower quality than his previous three) there simply is so little happening. Just looking at what the "gang" accomplished in the first three books and then you see what they actually do in those that follow it just feels slow, and not in a good way, but slow as in soap opera style where you can skip a weeks worth of episodes and find that they are still in the same room talking about the same things (I exaggerate I know). It's not that you have to churn your story / plot onwards at every turn, but there has to be a sense of progression - be it through dialogue, description or action. Malazan I think is a prime example of this where you don't have to have much action taking place to advance your story.

That said, I will be picking up the series for the last few books, I have high hopes for the Sanderson written ones since I enjoyed his Mistborn series, and if he treats the characters well and actually manages to advance the story it could turn out to be worth it.

Also, I fully believe that in a realistic world, every bloody Aes Sedai would wake up with a) their throat cut or :veryangry: a fine collar after their first day as an "advisor" to anyone... At more than one point (in the latter few books) I was just hoping that Rand would shove his sword through Egwene in one of his temper tantrums (it could be blamed on Lews Therin or something I don't care), that would have made things pick up a bit at least.

#66 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Well, reading Wot for its realism is like reading Mbotf for its awesome descriptions of landscapes... it's simply not what it was meant to do.

PoD suffers from a little overdose of descriptions in its first 100 pages (like every other book in the series), but the writing feels on par with that of CoS so i have high expectations from it.
I'm not really finding the girls tedious..... indeed i'm getting convinced that i never really disliked them; what i couldn't stand was the repetitive (childish?) way they were portraited. Nynaeve is still far from being my fav character but now that RJ restrains from reminding me every page that she was a wisdom and blah blah blah *tugs braid*, i find her quite bearable no matter how bitchy she gets.
Also, most characters seem to have (more) beliavable reactions to any given situation of late.

Not really worried about Mat not being in the book [spoiler] i guess he fainted during the invasion and was found by some seanchan guy who saw the ravens on his spear and mistook him for property of the Blood. He could as well be already in the company of his future wife for all i know XD [/spoiler]

#67 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

wow, completely forgot I started this thread :-)

I'm currently 1/3 of the way through Fires of Heaven, have taken my time with the series as there were other things to read, so my idea of getting them all done before the final one came out didn't really pan out!! ha

I'm still enjoying them, there very easy reading. Nynaeve is starting to get annoying, I used to give her the benefit of the doubt but not any longer...how old is she supposed to be 26? 27? she acts like she's 70 or something!! She needs a good slap in the face I reckon!! From another female character of course!! :-) ha ha

#68 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I think Nynaeve is 23-24 but i'm not so sure (and she acts more like a 4 years old if you ask me:) ).

Finished PoD last night
Spoiler

#69 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

RJ often said his depictions of battles/wars were shaped by his military experience. He alludes to that in the very first book:

TEOTW said:

"Battles interest me," Mat said, and Perrin added, "What did he say about them?""Battles don't interest me, Matrim," Tam said. "But I'm sure he will be glad to tell you all about them later..."

He felt that the portrayal of battle in fantasy was generally unrealistic. Battles aren't climaxes; they're blood and death, confusion and privation. That said, this one had a pretty damn good climax IMO...

Spoiler

There it is.

#70 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes, i liked the idea behind the campaign and the outcome... what i mean is that i know there has been a big bloody battle only because he told me so, but since he refused to show it i don't feel involved at all, and that's a shame because it could've been a GREAT read.
As it is, it feels like reading a chapter summary, not the book itself. I mean, he could've put in a brief chapter with Cadsuane telling Sorilea what happened in a few pages and the result would've been all but the same.

Spoiler

As for "battles aren't climaxes" , i must disagree. A battle is the product of weeks or months of manouvering, resolving in a few hours, with the potential to condition the future of the fighting parts for years to come. That's the definition of climax, and the fact that a lot of suffering is involved doesn't change it at all.

Sorry, i appreciate your answer and i really don't mean to sund rude :p but i still think this is the biggest fault in the series so far.

#71 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I guess I feel differently because I don't read the books for battles, and don't consider them to be particularly important to the effect of the story. I generally find reading them pretty boring; people kill, people die. RJ doesn't usually write in terms of the 'badassery' that typically appeals to young male readers. That's not the effect he's going for. Sometimes it happens, but it's not what the story is about, and I'm not sure I would like it if it was. You'll probably love Brandon's books for the same reason I (mostly) hated them.

There it is.

#72 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yes, i have very high expectations towards BS books for that very reason... and i do like badassery, although that's not the issue here... i just want to see what happens instead of being told, and it really puzzles me that an author that was almost OCD about describing everything simply removed chunks of the action because he couldn't/didn't want to render them properly.

#73 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Briar King, on 07 February 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

If you want good battle description go read Joe Abercrombie! Bernard Cornwell

I honestly don't remember RJ going light on the battle scences but you should be happy with BS 3.

JA is really good, but BC is better.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#74 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Check the quote again.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#75 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Abercrombie is in my TRL , although not with a very high priority..

Anyway i think i have emphasized the battle thing a little too much... I don't read a book for the battles, and i'm not asking for an all-battle series... i'd just like RJ to stop skipping some of the most plotwise-important sequences of his books (especially after using scores of pages to describe the most inconsequential things).

#76 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Briar King, on 08 February 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Ah got ya, didnt see that till you said it in chat.

Sorry, I meant to add the obligatory 'fixed", but got distracted. :p
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#77 User is offline   braders1234 

• Recruit

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Captain Beardface, on 12 January 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

I made it straight through to Book 7 A Crown of Swords before I needed a break... that was about six months ago and I haven't gone back... I may start up again

Just posted somewhere else, I am just finishing COS and seriously considering a prolonged break. Shame, there is a great story here, just about 100 pages of padding in each book that is strangling my interest a little by little.

#78 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Alrighty. I've taken a month-long break from reading this series and I finally feel like I'm ready to dive back in. Here's to hoping that I can make it through the next five books before I have to take another break. I've heard Crossroads of Twilight is pretty terrible, so I want to make it through that one before I stop again.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#79 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Isn't it crazy that everyone kknows those books are horrible (relatively speaking of course) but they continue to slog through them just to get to the end, of which I shall not share my opinion here. Speaks to the power of how good those first 3 or 4 actually were.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#80 User is offline   Mikkelinski 

• Corporal

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I didn't think particularly much of the first three four either (they were better for sure, but it was nothing impressive. Eye of the World just felt quite generic). I don't know about others, but I started to read the series simply because it was something I felt like I ought to since I was (and still am) a fantasy fan.

It was one of those "must reads" for me. Because of it's popularity within the genre.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users