• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

reading Wheel of Time for the first time

#81 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Actually i keep slogging because of the high expectations i have of the last few books (and because i like the series and i'd never stop in the middle of it).. i consider the finale to be the most important part in any kind of series, and i actually never considered reading Wot before reading a lot of positive reviews of BS books (well, GS and ToM at least since Moi wasn't out yet).

Finished WH
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 13 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#82 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Finished CoT.

Ugh.

The first 500 pages were just... terrible. Awful. One of the most painful reads i've ever had.
It's not just that nothing happens(i could live with that). It's that nothing happens in an extremely detailed way. RJ surely loved his digressions, since he put them everywhere (and often with a terrible timing). A door opens? Let's put in a page-long soliloquy about the candlelight flickering on the floor before saying who's coming in!! The most ridiculous moment is
Spoiler

About 500 pages in
Spoiler
and from then on the book is ... good. Not great, far from it, but after the horror of the first 2/3rds it was like heaven. Some nice plot-developement, character building and so on. Perrin's chapter are still bad.
The complete lack of an ending would have been really bad in another book, but in this one is just a minor flaw.
I'm just glad i passed the low point.

#83 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Finished KoD
Good... some things i liked, others not but finally the plot is moving more than a few inches every 100 pages. (but yes, the writing is still repetitive *sniffs and becomes an image of Aes Sedai composture*)
Perrin used to be one of the characters i liked more, now i must say i absolutely hate him.
Spoiler

LOVED the final chapters
Spoiler
by the way... OMG battles? fully described? and after only 11 books? It took me a while to realize i WAS actually reading an authenthic non-skipped fighting scene, but when i did i was totally amazed.

I still don't understand why he held back so much for so long... he was quite good with them!! Very vivid ( it really made me feel sorry for the horses).

So... time to see what Brandon did with the series!

#84 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Finished TGS
THIS book was GREAT. My new Wot favorite i'd say... by far.
So many moments of awesome
Spoiler
, and not even one spoiled by an excess (or complete lack) of description.
I bow to RJ's ability to create a huge world and a great plot with many twists and an immense scope... but i simply like BS's writing style more. Better paced, more balanced and without constant repetitions.
The only flaws imho were:
-Mat's character suffered a bit in the change of writer... he's still funny but he feels slightly "wrong" at times.
- a few plot details could have been better ... i simply cannot bring myself to like the bubbles of EVILZ (some make sense, others are ridiculous)
-at times BS's tone feels a bit too "light".. sorry, can't explain better. It happens only a couple times and it's really a minor thing.

#85 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Indeed he felt def overdone... as if BS put a huge banner with "I'M MAT" written on it on his head.
Ayway i've almost finished TOM (in 3 days lol) and this time Brandon nailed him for sure. (bad choice of words)
The entire book is simply great, incredibly gripping and a very fluid read.
It DOES feel a whole different series, which may be a good or a bad thing, depending on tastes and expectations... for me it was good, OH so good.
The only bad part so far was the bubble of evil in Perrin's army. I'd tear away those few pages. And scratch them. And burn them. And feed the ashes to some weird lizard, then dump the lizard in the f*ckin Mariana's trench. Then nuke it.
Or simply pretend it never happened (yes, i think i'll settle for that).

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users