• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

reading Wheel of Time for the first time

#1 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have been reading fantasy books for about 15 years now and one series that I've never read but always meant to was the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. I've always avoided spoilers of this series as I've known I would read it one day. With the news that the final book is due to be released in about a year I though it would be the perfect time to start.

What would you guys say I have in store for me? How does it shape compared to Erikson, GRRM, Bakker et al

I was considering reading the re-read notes on TOR after every chapter...is that worth doing or will it spoil things?

update: just read the introductory post to the re-read on Tor.com and it said it was rife with spoilers so wont be doing that then!!

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 22 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

#2 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostHocknose, on 22 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I have been reading fantasy books for about 15 years now and one series that I've never read but always meant to was the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. I've always avoided spoilers of this series as I've known I would read it one day. With the news that the final book is due to be released in about a year I though it would be the perfect time to start.

What would you guys say I have in store for me? How does it shape compared to Erikson, GRRM, Bakker et al

I was considering reading the re-read notes on TOR after every chapter...is that worth doing or will it spoil things?

You will get many varied replies with this one on this forum. I guess if I was to judge books on quality by the amount of times I have read them then my favourite series of all time would include Malazan book of the Fallen, Harry Potter and The Wheel of Time. I've read each set at least 5 times.

I love the story and world. I love the characters. I love the books.

People will say that books 7-10 aren't worth it and they don't like it.

I'd say read the first one and if you enjoy it go for the rest.

I'm not good at book reviews but even after the final book comes out and has been read i'll be re reading the series many times more.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#3 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostHocknose, on 22 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Most would say that those guys fall in the postmodern category. I like to think of RJ as being the pinnacle of traditional contemporary fantasy, and Tolkien as being the genesis of it, but that's just me. Well, me and millions of other people. But don't worry about those guys. Some of them like Goodkind and Eddings. Anyway, the the problem with WoT, such as it is, is that it went on for 20 years and outlived its era. It's still awesome, though, in so many ways that I've never seen in any contemporary literature. Malazan has a lot of those elements, but (sometimes deliberately) lacks a few of them.

What you should expect: something that is not what it seems on the surface. That is the best summary I can give of WoT.

That would spoil everything, from the Prologue. She assumes you've already read it. You can always ask questions here, though. I'll subscribe to the thread.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#4 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

It's far more 'traditional', as Terez said, and it's not so deep and philosophical as Malazan is but the level of detail and the layers and layers of world-building and history is astounding.

Again, in some ways it's more complicated and intricate than Malazan but less confusing at the same time. That said, they're kind of totally different.

This is, of course, my personal opinion--just read and have a good time.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#5 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostTattersail, on 22 February 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

You will get many varied replies with this one on this forum. I guess if I was to judge books on quality by the amount of times I have read them then my favourite series of all time would include Malazan book of the Fallen, Harry Potter and The Wheel of Time. I've read each set at least 5 times.

I love the story and world. I love the characters. I love the books.

People will say that books 7-10 aren't worth it and they don't like it.

I'd say read the first one and if you enjoy it go for the rest.

I'm not good at book reviews but even after the final book comes out and has been read i'll be re reading the series many times more.

Thanks Tattersail, I'll always give a book a try. I manged to get the 2nd one very cheap so I think at the least I'll read the first 2

View PostTerez, on 22 February 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Most would say that those guys fall in the postmodern category. I like to think of RJ as being the pinnacle of traditional contemporary fantasy, and Tolkien as being the genesis of it, but that's just me. Well, me and millions of other people. But don't worry about those guys. Some of them like Goodkind and Eddings. Anyway, the the problem with WoT, such as it is, is that it went on for 20 years and outlived its era. It's still awesome, though, in so many ways that I've never seen in any contemporary literature. Malazan has a lot of those elements, but (sometimes deliberately) lacks a few of them.

What you should expect: something that is not what it seems on the surface. That is the best summary I can give of WoT.

That would spoil everything, from the Prologue. She assumes you've already read it. You can always ask questions here, though. I'll subscribe to the thread.

I had an inkiling that it was gonna be a more traditional type of fantasy. I have read Goodkind and Eddings, as long as its better than Goodkind I'll be able to stick with it :-)

Yeah I noticed that on the first blog...wont be going back to that which is a shame cause the Malazan one caters for new and old readers alike.

thanks Terez I probably will have a few questions...

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 22 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

#6 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I disapprove of WoT and one who I shan't name being mentioned in the same sentence.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#7 User is offline   Drae 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

I couldn't get through it. I found it unbelievably long winded and dull, but it was a number of years ago.

Just my opinion.

#8 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 22 February 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

It's far more 'traditional', as Terez said, and it's not so deep and philosophical as Malazan is but the level of detail and the layers and layers of world-building and history is astounding.

I'll agree with WoT not being as overtly philosophical as Malazan, in the sense that the characters don't have long conversations and internal monologues that amount to philosophical screeds. There is a pretty wide range of philosophical thought represented in WoT, though. I wouldn't agree it's not as "deep". You just have to dig a little to see how deep it is.

Again, in some ways it's more complicated and intricate than Malazan but less confusing at the same time. That said, they're kind of totally different.

Right. The thing about WoT is that it's specifically designed to be relatively easy to read, though it gets a little more difficult as the minor characters pile on. But partly that's because by that point you're not reading it like you have to pay very close attention. It's an engaging story, and it pulls you along. Erikson dispenses with the niceties, throws you into the deep, cold world without respect for your shrinkage, and laughs as you struggle to keep up with his multiple characters and sideplots from the beginning, all the while wondering if the story is actually going someplace. That's part of what puts Malazan firmly in the postmodern category.

There it is.

#9 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Indeed.

I need a new copy of LoC...I lent it to someone who left it on a plane, bought me a replacement but borrowed that too, and then never gave it back. D:

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 22 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

#10 User is offline   Deadsmell 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Its a fantastic fantasy book. It's like a great adventure stretching out across the 10? 11? books. Has humour, epic moments and ones that will make u want to put it down and feel miserable :) Let us know what you think when your done.

#11 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostDeadsmell, on 22 February 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

It's like a great adventure stretching out across the 10? 11? books.

Or 14.

#12 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

As someone else said, read the first book, if you don't like it stop. If you do, keep reading. The first few are amazing, in my opinion. They continue to be quite good, though in some parts toward the end of the series it drags a lot. I think you'll avoid the pain because you can read them straight without the year wait for the next book.

It's quite worth it, I enjoyed them a lot.

#13 User is offline   MWKarsa 

• Midget Toblakai
  • Interests:Reading, Sports, Exercise and all things Texas Longhorn.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

There are definite problems with the series and certain things might start to irritate you in the later books but overall I would definitely recommend the series. The first several books are excellent reads and after a couple you become hooked on the series and story enough to make it through the not so great ones later in the series. Really can't wait to see how it all finishes up.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

I've never read it either and I sort of half plan to sometime in the future, but I've read plenty of opinions on it, and my main question for the fans is: are the later books where supposedly "nothing happens" the kind of thing that irks habitual whiners and malcontents who only want plot plot action plot action (re: the kind of awful awful people who don't care for RG-through-DoD), the kind of impatient wieners who keep haranguing GRRM about the waits, or would you say there was genuine rampant wheel-spinning/time-wasting going on in these latter volumes?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

It gets pretty bad at times in 8-10. Granted each of those have some pretty kick-ass sequences, but they also contain the pinnacle of RJ's rambling and extensive detailing of the most miniscule of irrelevant things. Waiting a couple years to read the vast majority of something you've already been tired of for 5 books assuredly compounded that problem.

That being said they aren't so god-awful as to ruin everything else fantastic about the series.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#16 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

There are massive plot developments, epic battles, amazing confrontations... but Jordan took to long to get to that part. If you have any patience at all you can read them, it might just irk you. I wouldn't worry, worry.

#17 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, even with bits of shear mind numbing boring shit, the series as a whole is pretty damn fantastic.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

View Postworrywort, on 23 February 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

I've never read it either and I sort of half plan to sometime in the future, but I've read plenty of opinions on it, and my main question for the fans is: are the later books where supposedly "nothing happens" the kind of thing that irks habitual whiners and malcontents who only want plot plot action plot action (re: the kind of awful awful people who don't care for RG-through-DoD), the kind of impatient wieners who keep haranguing GRRM about the waits, or would you say there was genuine rampant wheel-spinning/time-wasting going on in these latter volumes?

They're good books, and there's nothing in them that doesn't have a purpose (some of which only becomes clear later on down the road). I read straight through them and noticed a little lag in certain parts, but was honestly shocked to find out how much people hated those books when I found the online fandom. As I've said before, waiting 2-3 years for these books seriously exacerbates the impression of 'drag'. My impression of you is that you'll see through the surface to the 'deep' more easily than most readers.

There it is.

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostH.D., on 23 February 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

It gets pretty bad at times in 8-10. Granted each of those have some pretty kick-ass sequences, but they also contain the pinnacle of RJ's rambling and extensive detailing of the most miniscule of irrelevant things. Waiting a couple years to read the vast majority of something you've already been tired of for 5 books assuredly compounded that problem.

That being said they aren't so god-awful as to ruin everything else fantastic about the series.

Well it should be apparent by now I have an unhealthy affinity for self-indulgent and aimless rambling, so a few bouts of long-windedness from RJ isn't gonna dissuade me. Also I think I did read the first book when I was in high school, and the word "trolloc" irritated me so much I never continued. Knowing that there's some deliberateness and homage to what he's doing actually assuages some of my worries. Thanks everybody! And sorry for the interruption of your thread, Hocknose.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

No probs Worry, what you asked are similar things to what I was thinking anyway. I think being round Fantasy forums you wil always get references to WoT and I had similar thoughts in my head to you.

I think my biggest concern is that I love authors such as Erikson (obviously), Bakker, GRRM, Abercrombie and they all write very deep adult fantasy. For some reason I've always got the impression that Jordan might be a bit "kiddie" to me after reading those other guys, so thats why I held off. And then to hear that Sanderson is finishing the books kind of made sense to me because I've read the mistborn trilogy and even though I thought it was good, it seemed aimed at the teenage audience.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users