• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13701 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 June 2023 - 10:59 PM

So if Smith doesn't immediately try to remove her, Cannon's best strategy might be to pretend to be chastened, vow to be nonpartisan, and allow a speedy, fair trial so Smith doesn't try to remove her... then after the prosecution rests, invoke

Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 29(a). This rule—obscure to most Americans[...]—gives a federal judge the power to dismiss a prosecutor's case at the end of the prosecutor's presentation on a finding that the government has not presented sufficient evidence from which a jury could find guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. [...] it is completely unreviewable [no appeals etc.]. For reasons of double jeopardy, if a judge dismisses a case at the close of the prosecutor's presentation, that's the end of it.

The Three Biggest Obstacles to Convicting Trump - The Atlantic

Then as her justification she can recite Trump's favorite poem:

... then ecstatically shout 'Supreme Court here I come! So Go* (-Emperor-Trump) Wills It!'

OTOH if he does try to remove her immediately and fails on the first try I guess he could try again if her behavior is egregious enough, and the 11th Circuit might be persuaded to remove her; but again her best strategy would be to pretend to be well-behaved until the final moment comes where she demonstrates her commitment to Trump (and the Trumpublican party) above the law ('I AM GO* IS TRUMP IS THE LAW!').

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 June 2023 - 10:59 PM

#13702 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 June 2023 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like tomorrow the guy is getting mugshotted. The public won't see it I don't think...but MAN could you sell t-shirts and mugs...The catharsis for so many people to watch this guy finally get even the beginning of "caught" has been like 7 years coming...

I have no idea if he's going to end up convicted but it certainly seems it. I follow a prosecutor on social media who basically said "The Feds don't bring you into a room to ask you questions...they bring you into a room and show you a bunch of evidence that proves they have you dead-to-rights.

I would expect you'll start seeing the GOP/MAGA-heads that support him start to jump ship when they realize he's going turn on as many off them as he thinks it will take to get leniency (I don't think there's any leniency....he's facing something like 400 years...but who knows)...so the MTG's, and Gym Jordan's, and Matt Gaetzs, and the other 30-some odd GOP members who can be linked to Jan 6th and shit like that....I bet you they are getting scared now.

Hell, watching Lindsey Graham lose his absolute shit on the news the other night because when asked about this indictment if it changes his view of trump he jumped IMMEDIATELY to "but her emails" about Hillary, and got red and angry when the host challenged him on the whataboutism...

It's all popping off and I hope they all implode under the weight of supporting a conman whose whole history is a long line of him leaving ANYONE out to dry that he feels he needs to so that he can skate free. That each of these people thought "I'm different, I'm special, he likes me, we are friends!"....baffles me. Hell, he turned on Barr now too.

Also, this meme seems appropriate:

Attached File  let-them-fight-godzilla.gif (1.08MB)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 June 2023 - 04:56 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13703 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 June 2023 - 12:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 June 2023 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sounds like tomorrow the guy is getting mugshotted. The public won't see it I don't think...but MAN could you sell t-shirts and mugs...The catharsis for so many people to watch this guy finally get even the beginning of "caught" has been like 7 years coming...

Immediately following [...] Trump's arrest in Manhattan [...] his campaign began promoting a new T-shirt featuring a mugshot [...] emblazoned with the phrase "NOT GUILTY."

But the mugshot isn't real. And neither is Trump's height, as depicted by the T-shirt.

[...] shows [Trump] clocking in at a lofty 6 feet, five inches.

Trump Campaign's Fake Mugshot T-Shirt

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 June 2023 - 04:29 PM, said:

I would expect you'll start seeing the GOP/MAGA-heads that support him start to jump ship when they realize he's going turn on as many off them as he thinks it will take to get leniency (I don't think there's any leniency....he's facing something like 400 years...but who knows)...so the MTG's, and Gym Jordan's, and Matt Gaetzs, and the other 30-some odd GOP members who can be linked to Jan 6th and shit like that....I bet you they are getting scared now.

If Smith doesn't immediately try to get the 11th Circuit to remove her and Cannon pretends to be behaving herself to avoid being removed before she can dismiss the case (after the prosecution rests) without any option for appeal, if Trump doesn't realize what she's doing, he could be traumatized. And then she might not get her Supreme Court seat. He's very emotional and vengeful after all. OTOH I'm not sure if she could communicate her intention to Trump without investigators or the prosecution picking up on it---were all Trump's communications being monitored? Was he being bugged everywhere? Even if so, she could have sent an intermediary to communicate in code. Or they could have come to an agreement at some point when Trump was not being investigated---that if any federal charges were to come up, she would ultimately dismiss them. Hopefully not very likely....

How to Force Judge Aileen Cannon Off the Trump Case

[...] But what if Judge Cannon does not recuse herself? One possibility that should be explored is for the chief judge of the district court, Chief Judge Cecilia Altonaga, to reassign the case [...]

[...] such intervention by the chief judge is not an everyday occurrence. If it doesn't happen, [...] the 11th Circuit should be called upon to reassign the case to a different judge at the earliest opportunity. As the case is lodged at the trial court level and is not before the circuit at the moment, that reassignment would likely come only as part of a reversal on appeal of one of Judge Cannon's decisions.

Under binding 11th Circuit precedents a case should be reassigned to a different judge if, among other reasons, the original judge would have "difficulty" setting aside her previous views and findings and reassignment would not result in a waste of judicial resources. Those factors clearly weigh in favor of reassignment here, due to the difficulties that Judge Cannon will likely face in diverging from her previous, unorthodox, and wrongful rulings benefitting Trump.

[...] DOJ might choose to make the case in a recusal motion that it would be better for her and everyone concerned if she stepped aside. [...]

But the Department may, as they often do, take the more conservative approach to recusal. If so, they may instead wait for the judge to overstep once more and at that point ask her, and if she refuses, the 11th Circuit to act. They could do so as part of the appeal of that particular issue if it is available pretrial, as are all CIPA rulings on classified document handling (the general area where she stumbled before). Or, if a Cannon ruling is sufficiently outrageous on an issue that is not normally appealable before trial, they could seek mandamus (available in unusual situations when a district judge is failing to perform their duty).

[...] if a Cannon ruling is sufficiently outrageous on an issue that is not normally appealable before trial, they could seek mandamus (available in unusual situations when a district judge is failing to perform their duty). [...]

If seeking reassignment by the 11th Circuit is the outcome here, that will require a bit of patience by all of us. [...]

DOJ should be watchful for the first opportunity to seek reassignment by the 11th Circuit.

Trump indictment: How to force Judge Aileen Cannon off the case. (slate.com)

Until then, she can at least delay... and try to subtly damage the case in ways that can't be immediately appealed, while not being so egregious as to warrant a mandamus....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 June 2023 - 12:23 PM

#13704 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 June 2023 - 12:41 PM

Meh, I'm sure his lawyers are smart enough to have all the scenarios plotted.

If she isn't communicating with them via back channels already.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13705 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:28 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 June 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

Didn't you hear? He could not find one even last night as he was scrambling to find one to represent him today. Every law firm in the country is probably steering clear of this with a ten foot pole, either because they know he won't pay them, or because representing him makes you radioactive as a firm.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13706 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 June 2023 - 03:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 June 2023 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 13 June 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

Didn't you hear? He could not find one even last night as he was scrambling to find one to represent him today. Every law firm in the country is probably steering clear of this with a ten foot pole, either because they know he won't pay them, or because representing him makes you radioactive as a firm.

The news suggests the main problem is one of the lead lawyers, moreso than Trump himself. That may be spin, but it is clear he does have lawyers, but he's lacking a Florida licensed litigator.

...which is still incredibly funny because at the end of the day it's still Trump can't find a lawyer in Florida willing to work for him.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13707 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2023 - 05:24 PM

He's now saying the DOJ planted the classified docs at Mar-A-Lago....like nothing says "innocent" than your story CONSTANTLY changing. Nevermind that the fact that he had them is not what he is in trouble over, it's the fact that when asked to turn them over he refused, and then moved them around (on tape) over an over again stymie anyone who came searching for them and then lied repeatedly about "that being all" there was. This guy doesn't even seem to fundamentally understand why he's being indicted...holy shit.

Ahhhhh, I love the smell of desperation in the morning.

#13708 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 June 2023 - 05:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 June 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

He's now saying the DOJ planted the classified docs at Mar-A-Lago....like nothing says "innocent" than your story CONSTANTLY changing. Nevermind that the fact that he had them is not what he is in trouble over, it's the fact that when asked to turn them over he refused, and then moved them around (on tape) over an over again stymie anyone who came searching for them and then lied repeatedly about "that being all" there was. This guy doesn't even seem to fundamentally understand why he's being indicted...holy shit.

Ahhhhh, I love the smell of desperation in the morning.

This is the Thug, over turned consistently and unanimously in big cases, that Biden and his CORRUPT Injustice Department stuck on me. He’s a Radical Right Lunatic and Trump Hater, as are all his friends and family, who probably “planted” information in the “boxes” given to them. They taint everything that they touch, including our Country, which is rapidly going to HELL!

Truth Details | Truth Social

lol

Taken literally he's not just saying the DOJ did it, but that Smith and/or his 'friends and family' did it. (Not so funny: the likelihood of MAGA going after his family....)

Guess Trump &co are not going to bother editing that 'Radical Right Lunatic' part... it shows His 'authenticity' (and hence social/religious 'Truth'...).

#13709 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 June 2023 - 06:06 PM

Demonstrations outside the courthouse:
Posted Image

'in Trump we trust' (US currency says 'in God we trust' on it).

Posted Image

Some very intimidating looking bikers showed up:

Posted Image

Roosters, a Severed Pig’s Head, and Other Notable Entities Outside the Miami Courthouse Where Donald Trump Is Being Arraigned

#13710 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2023 - 06:21 PM

Question, do Americans know how utterly ridiculous all the US flag paraphernalia is? Like not just these fuckwits, but like the average American seems to have a LOT of American Flag-merch on their shit (shirts, mugs, ect)...frankly it makes you all look less than sane to us.

Like be proud of your country, sure...but the sheer amount of random shit with American flags on it is....institution-worthy to me.

Like I've even seen merch for like a brand that has nothing particular to do with the States...have a US flag version of said merch...No other countries...so like it would be a Nike Swoosh hat...and there are like 12 different colours...and then a random one there the swoosh is on a hat that's basically the American flag...

#13711 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 June 2023 - 06:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 June 2023 - 06:21 PM, said:

Question, do Americans know how utterly ridiculous all the US flag paraphernalia is? Like not just these fuckwits, but like the average American seems to have a LOT of American Flag-merch on their shit (shirts, mugs, ect)...frankly it makes you all look less than sane to us.

Like be proud of your country, sure...but the sheer amount of random shit with American flags on it is....institution-worthy to me.

Like I've even seen merch for like a brand that has nothing particular to do with the States...have a US flag version of said merch...No other countries...so like it would be a Nike Swoosh hat...and there are like 12 different colours...and then a random one there the swoosh is on a hat that's basically the American flag...

The US flag should be redesigned to feature piles of money and soldiers stamping on the flags of other countries... oh and Trump's penis on the Cross.

IDK about the average US'er---my impression is that it's mostly a right-wing thing, though I think they're also popular among some immigrant groups.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 June 2023 - 06:34 PM

#13712 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 June 2023 - 10:11 PM

Biden spoke to gun safety advocates and survivors of gun violence for about 30 minutes Friday afternoon at the University of Hartford and ended his speech with the phrase "Alright? God save the Queen, man."

"God Save The Queen" began trending on Twitter soon after with many addressing their own confusion [...]

[... "] Biden has the extremely odd habit of ending his remarks with cryptic phrases whose significance is mostly legible only to him. "God save the queen" is also what he said right after certifying Trump's election in 2017.

Biden's 'God save the Queen, man' remark at end of Connecticut speech (usatoday.com)

Trump:

"The Golden Goose that was so beautiful is being slaughtered by Fools. MAGA has left Fox for more promising 'prairies.' Long live the King"

Trump Posts Desperate Truth Social Video After Indictment (thedailybeast.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 June 2023 - 10:11 PM

#13713 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 June 2023 - 02:58 PM

In a baffling turn of events, [Judge Cannon ...] appears to have placed the case on warp speed—setting a trial just two months away.

[...] what's referred to as a “rocket docket” to speed [Trump's] trial through the system.

[... Cannon] has spent only 14 days overseeing four criminal trials—a jaw-dropping level of inexperience for someone who is about to judge such a consequential trial involving long-lasting precedent on the nation’s democracy.

[...] in setting a trial just two months away, Judge Cannon appears to be doing Trump a favor: making the decisive legal battle early enough that it would not disrupt Trump’s 2024 run for president

Judge Aileen Cannon Sets Donald Trump’s Classified Documents Trial Date

Not so 'baffling' if her plan is to let the prosecution finish its case as quickly as possible (giving them nothing to appeal) and then dismiss the charges with no possibility of appeal.

Trump will be crowing 'NOT GUILTY' blah blah blah. She could even echo his rhetoric---'witch hunt' etc. Appear in campaign videos banging her gavel... 'WITCH' (bang!) 'HUNT!' (bang bang bang... bang!)

#13714 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 June 2023 - 02:31 PM

Leftist bitching about the flag. So typical in today’s world.

Me drinking my coffee out of my flag mug taking a big ole sip while being happy I ain’t speaking German. Damn that’s some good cream.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#13715 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 June 2023 - 02:51 PM

I dunno man, lots of Right Wingers seem to have a problem with what's ON a given flag....like if it's a rainbow, or pink, white, and blue they seem to lose their minds....YMMV.

#13716 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 June 2023 - 03:49 PM

There is truth to that.

#13717 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 June 2023 - 09:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 June 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

Leftist bitching about the flag. So typical in today's world.

Me drinking my coffee out of my flag mug taking a big ole sip while being happy I ain't speaking German. Damn that's some good cream.

Sure, (standard) German is kind of an ugly language.

But we could be speaking Japanese!...

Or French, or Spanish, if not for those pesky Brits....

Though if we're dwelling on long-ago history... are you still mad about the burning of the White House?

Then again maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they came down and did it now, with Biden inside it (but before the primary, I'd say)....

#13718 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:12 PM

Gov Noem seems to be brewing something. Starting today I’ve seen multiple ads with her in various professions advertising job opportunities in South Dakota.

#13719 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:01 AM

Starts about 47 seconds in and is about two minutes long. Ends on a doozy!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13720 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 June 2023 - 10:00 PM

Is it odd that there can be zero doubts he is guilty, he has openly confessed his crimes multiple times on tv faces multiple future indictments just as bad and I remain uncertain if he will see a jail cell.

At least he can’t run. The secret service will be with him everyday.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users