• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12221 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

If you view Trump as a shitty verbalizer of American rage, particularly white rage, it makes more sense. He doesn't have to be coherent or even likable - he just has to be able to vent anger towards the "others".

In regards to free college for all, I do not care if a billionaire's child goes to school for free if it means everyone can go to school for free. Most likely, the billionaire's child is going to be in a situation where the parent or parents pay big bucks for the child to go to some special finishing school anyways, like they already do for primary school.

Many countries do free college for everyone and the system works well. I think it makes sense, but it's not going to change overnight.

I have about 200k in student loans due to interest and need a public service loan forgiveness plan in order to ever get out from under it.

If we made college or grad school free or super affordable for everyone, a huge percent of people would work jobs that make them happy and/or in public service because they could afford to do it. We would absolutely get more doctors to go out into the rural areas and provide care for a few years if they weren't 350k in debt from medical school. It would be a rising tide that lifts so many more boats than "oh the rich people don't have to pay anymore".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12222 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:39 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 January 2021 - 05:11 PM, said:

He is LITERALLY standing on that podium and calling his own party weak! And that he is going to call them the "weak republicans" from now on.

This man was ALWAYS this. He was NEVER going to step aside gracefully, he was always going to burn it ALL down around him, including his own family members to keep his narcissistic facade that he's a "winner" intact. Nothing less was ever going to happen. This is honestly, why I thought seriously that he would run to Russia before Jan...just turns out he's too dumb to do that.

There's a video going around from 2016 where someone predicted the EXACT things Trump is doing if he lost in 4 years...and it's EERILY on point. And that may seem like some sort of prophetic power....but it's not. Trump has a very public history we can plumb to predict exactly what he's been doing since he lost.

Burning down the Republican Party for his loss is par for the course.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12223 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

Lindsey Graham is no longer going to be the head of the Senate Judiciary committee!

And I heard Biden wants Merrick Garland to be AG....so that should make Mitch blow a blood vessel.

There's so much splash out from these wins that trickle down, I hadn't even thought about what Graham would lose. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12224 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

The broadcast I was watching has ended now, but holy fucking shit balls!

I have an entire ocean between myself and this mess. I am safe and secure in my own apartment behind a locked door, and these MAGA boogers are never going to be able to threaten me directly. And yet, I was sitting here, listening to that raving lunatic, with a growing knot of fear in my stomach.

He's going to tell his followers to take up arms. I honestly think he's going to do that.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12225 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:07 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 January 2021 - 05:50 PM, said:

The broadcast I was watching has ended now, but holy fucking shit balls!

I have an entire ocean between myself and this mess. I am safe and secure in my own apartment behind a locked door, and these MAGA boogers are never going to be able to threaten me directly. And yet, I was sitting here, listening to that raving lunatic, with a growing knot of fear in my stomach.

He's going to tell his followers to take up arms. I honestly think he's going to do that.

Lots of old white dude facebook posts going around about how they said goodbye to their kids for the last time as they go to DC to 'protest'. It sounds like terrorist shit to me.

DC has already called in the National Guard, and its funny how the proud boys suddenly turn on the police the second the cops are like 'bro, can you not try to kill people for a bit?'
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12226 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:59 PM

I don't want to derail

But holy fuckballs. 200k in student debt? That is fucking insane, criminally so when you consider what the bank bail out cost

#12227 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Mconnel at last performs the duty of his office. He hasn’t now found his courage. Clearly he always believed what he is now saying, their is no proof of fraud and it would be unconstitutional to overrule the votes. In his political calculations though he decided to let trump and everyone fan the flames until the last moment before he had to act. Disgusting!

#12228 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

View PostCause, on 06 January 2021 - 07:00 PM, said:

Mconnel at last performs the duty of his office. He hasn’t now found his courage. Clearly he always believed what he is now saying, their is no proof of fraud and it would be unconstitutional to overrule the votes. In his political calculations though he decided to let trump and everyone fan the flames until the last moment before he had to act. Disgusting!

McConnell has been against them whining from the very start. He's afraid the moron his party latched on to is going to fracture and destroy it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12229 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

SNORT

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

#12230 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

The protestors have pushed past the barricades and the police and have climbed the stairs to Congress.

Shiiit.

Probably time to get the tear gas out soon.

#12231 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

View PostAptorian, on 06 January 2021 - 07:08 PM, said:

The protestors have pushed past the barricades and the police and have climbed the stairs to Congress.

Shiiit.

Probably time to get the tear gas out soon.

And it sure does look like that Pence, or perhaps it was Grassley? was pulled out of the senate chamber by bodyguards...'

Edit: Yup, Pence was pulled from the Senate chamber and, apparently, the Press is being locked in the Press room.

Holy fucking shit.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 06 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

#12232 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

Should have had the tear gas hours ago, like they do to people that don't show up with weapons.

#12233 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:30 PM

They're not able to get past the doors, so I think the police are choosing to let them own the square as long as they don't try to force their way into the building.

Using force against them will only feed into their narrative.

#12234 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:31 PM

View PostAptorian, on 06 January 2021 - 07:30 PM, said:

They're not able to get past the doors, so I think the police are choosing to let them own the square as long as they don't try to force their way into the building.

Using force against them will only feed into their narrative.

Nope, there are protesters inside right now. But they do seem more like they're thinking "Whoa, we're inside, what do we do now? Let's take pictures."

#12235 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

Wait now they're showing protestors walking around inside? NBC are saying they're Inside and walking towards the house chamber.

What. The. Fuck.

Edit. Didn't see your post Prim.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 06 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

#12236 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 January 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

I don't want to derail

But holy fuckballs. 200k in student debt? That is fucking insane, criminally so when you consider what the bank bail out cost

Agreed, that is insane. I thought mine was bad. I hope you can get relief, Amph.

#12237 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

View PostObdigore, on 06 January 2021 - 07:01 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 06 January 2021 - 07:00 PM, said:

McConnell has been against them whining from the very start. He's afraid the moron his party latched on to is going to fracture and destroy it.

He was against them whining because and it won’t be a direct quote but something along the lines ‘it will force us to make a vote against the president’.

If he didn’t have to he would have certified the count declaring Biden the winner but never outright say anything about how there is no evidence, what trump is asking for us unconstitutional etc. he should have been saying these things for weeks. Instead until the very last minute he has been saying trump has a right to try and go to the courts. After 40+ failed attempts with no evidence he could have should have said something.

Instead we have people who believe this conspiracy is real enough, or who think with pressure enough they can protest to make trump president again.

#12238 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

Open carry is illegal in DC, but I wonder if any of them have concealed firearms?... Unless they were somehow screened before being allowed near the building, it seems likely that a non-trivial percentage do. Hopefully no suicide bombers.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

#12239 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

What the fuck America.

If it was a BLM unarmed protest the fucking batons and tear gas would have been out in seconds

#12240 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

'Rep. Elaine Luria
@RepElaineLuria

I just had to evacuate my office because of a pipe bomb reported outside. Supporters of the President are trying to force their way into the Capitol and I can hear what sounds like multiple gunshots.'

https://twitter.com/...890833266683904

Sounds could be fireworks though?...

'lawmakers are using masks to protect themselves from tear gas.

Officers had told the chamber to "be prepared to get under your chairs if necessary."'

https://www.sacbee.c...e248312785.html

Put on your gas masks and hide under your chairs. Wow.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google