• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12181 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:28 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 January 2021 - 08:10 PM, said:

Wacky week coming up for Trump. You guys think he keeps it low key, or nah, he gonna Trump? I believe I heard he has an "anti-Biden rally" planned for when the last, procedural, and ceremonial, step is finalized Wednesday.

Also, called it! *brushes-dust-off-left-shoulder....Beyond "wacky" though. The mayor of D.C. is calling in the National Guard.

#12182 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

I love that there's been so much internal finger pointing in the republican party. Hopefully all the nutjobs boycot the runoffs and hand the Democrats the senate, sort of.

#12183 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

I have to say, it's just a bit surprising to me that Trump has not tried to eject the states he lost from the Union. It's not as if that's all that more crazy that what he's already done.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12184 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 January 2021 - 02:03 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 05 January 2021 - 11:01 AM, said:

I have to say, it's just a bit surprising to me that Trump has not tried to eject the states he lost from the Union. It's not as if that's all that more crazy that what he's already done.

Pretty sure the plan is to start a war with Iran and declare emergency powers if whatever weird ass 'no we don't like the way your state voted so your votes dont count' shit doesn't pan out for them.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12185 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 02:18 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 January 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

I keep saying it, the world needs a league of Shadows that can take out corrupt politicians and dictators. If those of you who have Children start out now, you could probably have them trained for international assassination 15-20 years from now.

qui custodiet ipsos custodes

#12186 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 January 2021 - 02:47 PM

Oh, that's simple, you run a shadow government project where you kidnap homeless children and train them to be mind-reading and precognitive judges and facilitators to keep track of the assassins.

#12187 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Any early numbers trickling in from Georgia yet? What's the trend? I'm guessing it will be a couple of days, like the general election, yeah?

#12188 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Republicans ahead by one, STOP THE COUNT

#12189 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 January 2021 - 11:16 PM

Couldn't help but giggle when I got home and flipped around the news and found Steve Kornacki and John King doing their thing.

#12190 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:49 AM

Democrats with a > 13% lead so far....

Lucky number!

[Edit: now one's down to 12%, the other just under 13%]

https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2021 - 12:50 AM

#12191 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:38 AM

Going to try and resist the urge to constantly refresh my phone on the Georgia race.

Probably won’t happen.

Come on Georgia!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 06 January 2021 - 01:38 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12192 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:55 AM

It's going to be super close. At least that's how it's looking as of right now.

The dichotomy of Trump and his slew of authoritarianist tagalongs trying to overthrow an election while another one takes place in the same place, using the same machines, with the same voters is a nice dose of surrealism.

Edit: As I type the % continues to steadily fall. Looks like the D nominees will get passed within an hours. Don't know enough to know if there is a usual late vote from urban centers coming like there normally is to overcome that.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 06 January 2021 - 01:57 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12193 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:15 AM

Perdue (Republican) pulls ahead.

More early/absentee votes are expected to be counted I think.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2021 - 02:16 AM

#12194 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:33 AM

More details: 'There are three buckets of ballots: those cast absentee, those cast in person at early voting centers, and those cast on election day. Generally, absentee ballots have to be received by elections offices by 7 p.m. on election night in order to be counted (military and overseas ballots postmarked by Tuesday but received by Friday will be counted).

[...] counties are allowed to start opening absentee ballots and scanning them the third Monday prior to election day and must begin processing absentee ballots no later than the second Monday before election day. But they can't actually tabulate and post election results until after polls close.

[...] in general, the smaller counties report faster than the larger counties, a trend expected to continue tonight.

Fulton County, the state's most populous county and the home of Atlanta proper, generally posts early voting results first, then election day and absentee ballots as they are completed.

[...] "All election day and early voting will be in tonight for sure," Corbitt said. "Some absentee ballots will be in but they will likely still be counting some. They plan to continue counting until at least 2 a.m."'

https://www.politifa...ection-results/

Some Dominion voting machines briefly malfunctioned:

'It Took Just a Few Hours of Georgia Voting for Trump Supporters to Find a New Conspiracy Theory

[...] programming errors in the keys that start up paper-ballot scanners and in the cards that poll workers use to activate touch-screen voting machines. The issue was resolved by 10 a.m. after the secretary of state's office sent over new keys and cards. And Paulding and Gwinnett counties, in northern Georgia, also each had a ballot scanner go down, though they were quickly repaired or replaced.

[...] Watkins said of the Georgia malfunctions on Twitter, "The fix is in?" and "Theyre laughing in our faces…"

Trump himself spotlighted the machine malfunctions in a tweet early Tuesday afternoon [hours after the machines were fixed].

"Reports are coming out of the 12th Congressional District of Georgia that Dominion Machines are not working in certain Republican Strongholds for over an hour."

https://slate.com/te...eory-fraud.html

'The Trump campaign spreading disinformation in a text to supporters: "Is it true that voting machines 'stopped working' earlier in Georgia today? Are Dems trying to STEAL this Election?"'

https://www.nytimes....orgia-elections

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2021 - 02:34 AM

#12195 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:28 AM

Obviously the choice between promoting his Dominion conspiracy theories and potentially suppressing the Republican turnout was an easy one for Trump to make. But perhaps Trump believes the prospect of Democrats taking control of the Senate will help him leverage Republicans for his coup attempt....

'33 minutes ago
Nate Cohn

Both Democrats remain heavily favored, despite their deficit in the tabulated vote. They're favored to win the vote left to be counted by 9 to 10 points.

55 minutes ago

Republicans have taken a narrow lead in the tabulated vote, but the Democrats are clear favorites in both races. The overwhelming majority of remaining votes are in the Atlanta metro area, and while the race remains competitive, there's no indication that the Republicans are poised to outperform expectations. The big Democratic vote left: the DeKalb County early vote. We expect these 170,000 votes to break for Ossoff by an 85-15 margin.'

https://www.nytimes....ate-runoff.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2021 - 03:28 AM

#12196 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:03 AM

Some news outlets have already called the race for Warnock. Perdue still leading Ossoff....

'12 minutes ago

Nate Cohn

Ossoff and Warnock both have a greater than 95 percent chance to win, according to our estimates. The remaining vote is overwhelmingly Democratic.

[...] 27 minutes ago
Jennifer Medina

Georgia election officials have suggested we may not know final numbers until midday tomorrow, right around the time when Congress is scheduled to certify the presidential election. (Maybe get some rest?)'

https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 January 2021 - 05:06 AM

#12197 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:07 AM

I wouldn't want any part of being near the capital tomorrow. If I was there, I would definitely have an escape route mapped out. Especially if things play out in Georgia.

#12198 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:44 AM

Both races have been called by Decision Desk HQ. Georgia is blue!

Hope nothing too crazy happens today.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#12199 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 01:53 PM

View PostTerez, on 06 January 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

Oh man, I was not willing to hope too hard for you guys as I was scared of these races...but man, this means no more Mitch right? And no more blocking bills and whatnot?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12200 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 January 2021 - 01:53 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 06 January 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

Oh man, I was not willing to hope too hard for you guys as I was scared of these races...but man, this means no more Mitch right? And no more blocking bills and whatnot?

There are a couple of blue dog democrats and some independents that generally vote with the dems that may ask for... things... in return for voting on bills, but assuming the Senate now plays by the rules that McConnell set up (which they might not because some Dems can't fucking learn the lessons the GOP is teaching them), then the minority party has no power but whining.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 06 January 2021 - 02:01 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users