• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#10861 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

I'm sure the Dem backroomers have run the numbers but I'm wondering what KH's +/- is on polling numbers.
I guess they wouldn't have gone with her if they didn't think she was a net win, but I have me some weird feelings about the mid-west middle-class white backlash that kinda reminds me of election night 2016. :unsure:

I guess they're figuring they probably would have never gained certain states but they're betting on picking up certain other ones that will make the difference. Pretty obvious I know but ...

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 12 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10862 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

What ever qualms old racist people have about the VP choice, it should be eliviated by the ancient white man running for President.

#10863 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

View PostCyphon, on 12 August 2020 - 07:39 AM, said:

Everyone seems to be saying that, I don't know enough to agree or disagree. Does sound like the Dems will have to do some expectation management or Harris won't seem to have done well enough and Pence will have to do very little for it to seem okay for him.

Agreed, y'all have to be careful, or risk ending up in the exact same situation as in 2016. And if you think it can't happen, you're fooling yourselves.

As always, even though none of you are actually saying it at the moment, I will stick with my single mantra about this election; Stop saying Trump won't win, because he just might!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10864 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

Oh 100%. Kampala might kick his butt in a debate, but his supporters won’t care. Or they’ll just watch the recap on Fox News where they’ll say he won and they’ll just nod sagely.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10865 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

It will be interesting what tact the GOP and Fox take with her though...because any stains on her historically are from being in law enforcement doing law enforcement stuff that they (the GOP) SEEM to champion in other instances...so like are they just going to ignore the double standard they will hold her to in an attempt to try to drag her, orrrrrr?

Also, (and I didn't know this) Trump and Ivanka both contributed to her campaigns in the past TWICE. I need every single reporter to ask him about this whenever he talks about her.

Oh, and it took him like 73 minutes after Biden announced her as running mate for him to call her a "nasty" woman (man, he can't deal with strong women and he has one insult for them that isn't "looks") and say she was into Snoop Dog and Weed. What a fucking clown.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10866 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:14 PM

The Trump campaign messaging they put out after Biden made the decision public called Kamala Harris Binden's living will. I'm guessing they are introducing the idea that either Biden could die during his first term and Harris will become president or that Biden plans to only serve four years, and Harris would take over as the incumbent choice come 2024?

#10867 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:06 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 August 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

It will be interesting what tact the GOP and Fox take with her though...because any stains on her historically are from being in law enforcement doing law enforcement stuff that they (the GOP) SEEM to champion in other instances...so like are they just going to ignore the double standard they will hold her to in an attempt to try to drag her, orrrrrr?

Of course they're going to go the double standards route. It's ok when a Republican does it, but Harris is a Democrat. And even worse, did you know she's a woman?

#10868 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:12 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 12 August 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 12 August 2020 - 07:39 AM, said:

Everyone seems to be saying that, I don't know enough to agree or disagree. Does sound like the Dems will have to do some expectation management or Harris won't seem to have done well enough and Pence will have to do very little for it to seem okay for him.

Agreed, y'all have to be careful, or risk ending up in the exact same situation as in 2016. And if you think it can't happen, you're fooling yourselves.

As always, even though none of you are actually saying it at the moment, I will stick with my single mantra about this election; Stop saying Trump won't win, because he just might!

This is being reflected amongst the few liberals I know as:

"Don't trust the polls. You saw the polls in 2016. Don't trust the polls. VOTE. Do everything in your power to go and vote. If possible, vote at your actual polling site. Vote. And bring all your friends to vote too."

High turnout is IMPORTANT.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 13 August 2020 - 05:13 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10869 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

I thought that the way US Elections go (Im not from the US BTW) is that the Democrats rule for two terms and then the Republicans rule for two terms. Been that way since '92 after all.
So..I assume Trump will win. Not due to Bidens failings but because the voters like incumbents.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 13 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

#10870 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

'Trump has come out and admitted what many have already accused him of—that he’s blocking federal aid for the U.S. Postal Service in an attempt to sabotage mass mail-in voting during November’s presidential election.

[...] In an interview with Fox Business Network on Thursday morning, Trump proudly admitted he was blocking the aid. “If we don’t make the deal, that means they can’t have the money, that means they can’t have universal mail-in voting,” he said. “It just can’t happen.” Trump has repeatedly raged against the idea of mail-in voting, claiming with no evidence that it would make the election open to fraud.'

https://www.thedaily...ection?ref=home

#10871 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 August 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

It will be interesting what tact the GOP and Fox take with her though...because any stains on her historically are from being in law enforcement doing law enforcement stuff that they (the GOP) SEEM to champion in other instances...so like are they just going to ignore the double standard they will hold her to in an attempt to try to drag her...

Trump's base won't support her because she's a Democrat (and a woman, and black). So what they want with the "Kamala's a COP!!!" stuff is to convince enough progressive and Black Dems not to vote for a ticket with her on it to make the difference. This is why they're now also going the "Not Black enough..." route that they took with Obama.

Interestingly, she has the same surname as my mother's side of the family - who are also Jamaican (and it is a small island)- so we could be distantly related. Unfortunately what's more likely is that our ancestors were freed from the same sugar plantation back in the day.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 13 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#10872 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 13 August 2020 - 02:54 PM, said:

I thought that the way US Elections go (Im not from the US BTW) is that the Democrats rule for two terms and then the Republicans rule for two terms. Been that way since '92 after all.
So..I assume Trump will win. Not due to Bidens failings but because the voters like incumbents.

For the most part this does seem to be true, Mose incumbents win but there have been exceptions. Most recently I think bush snr was one term president. Partly apparently because economy collapsed during his first term.

#10873 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

Before that Jimmy Carter was too - Reagan's Republicans sabotaged the Iran Hostage negotiations to make him look bad.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#10874 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:22 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 13 August 2020 - 05:18 PM, said:

Before that Jimmy Carter was too - Reagan's Republicans sabotaged the Iran Hostage negotiations to make him look bad.

Which, correct me if I'm wrong, included the current AG Barr?

What a vicious little web of assholes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10875 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

'The United States Postal Service is removing mail sorting machines from facilities around the country without any official explanation or reason given, Motherboard has learned through interviews with postal workers and union officials. In many cases, these are the same machines that would be tasked with sorting ballots'

https://www.vice.com...of-the-election

#10876 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

I say this in no uncertain terms, this post office bullshit should be the final straw. That's outright obstruction of the election, not to mention dismantling a core part of the US Constitution.

There should be a million people camping outside the White house and Congress.

#10877 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

View PostAptorian, on 13 August 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

I say this in no uncertain terms, this post office bullshit should be the final straw. That's outright obstruction of the election, not to mention dismantling a core part of the US Constitution.

There should be a million people camping outside the White house and Congress.

Worse he ADMITTED be was doing it on Fox this morning.

"Therefore, they don't have the money to do the universal mail-in voting. So therefore, they can't do it," said the president, who repeated his false claim that mail-in voting is highly susceptible to fraud. "How are they going to do it if they don't have the money to do it?"

He's literally like: You can't trust mail in voting, because they don't have enough staff and money t make it work...because we are withholding the funding to do it...

I agree with Apt. How the lot of you aren't camped outside the WH right now is beyond me. He either doesn't care or his dementia allows him to think that the circular logic above is a slam dunk argument against mail-in voting....it's bananas (Republic).

#10878 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM

There are big protests going on in many places. But I don't know that camping outside the white house is going to have as much effect as draining the fed and local police $ in the cities all over. For one thing, Trump doesn't care beyond the optics of being put into a bunker. Another thing is that the Republican Senators and Representatives don't really care either. Like it would take direct violence to them for them to care. Peaceful protest outside a building only works if the people within have a conscience.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10879 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:54 PM

View Postamphibian, on 13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

There are big protests going on in many places. But I don't know that camping outside the white house is going to have as much effect as draining the fed and local police $ in the cities all over. For one thing, Trump doesn't care beyond the optics of being put into a bunker. Another thing is that the Republican Senators and Representatives don't really care either. Like it would take direct violence to them for them to care. Peaceful protest outside a building only works if the people within have a conscience.

Then I'm fairly sure you don't have a republic or any kind of democracy then.

If the people have no strength or voice, then you lost whatever freedom you may have once had. You now live in a tyrannical empire.

#10880 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:09 PM

There is a Kwame Ture/Stokely Carmichael quote from the late 1960s:

"Dr. King’s policy was, if you are nonviolent, if you suffer, your opponent will see your suffering and will be moved to change his heart. That’s very good. He only made one fallacious assumption. In order for nonviolence to work, your opponent must have a conscience. The United States has none."

That was almost 60 years ago. Some progress was made since then, but it was not inevitable and it came with a cost of blood and tears - mostly borne by black Americans.

I am doing what I can to get better people into office, to support our community in pushing back against the carceral state, and to try and stop putting money in the pockets of the rich corporations.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users