• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#10901 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

Couple of things:

1) AOC gonna get steam rolling off the MAGA hatters who tune into the DNC tonight.

2) And oh deary me, pirate shirt/mustard stain and doesn't know how to hold a gun hubby, gonna have nice things to say about Trump at the RNC next week. Posted Image

Posted Image

[EDIT] Another beaut for RNC is confirmed. The punch-able faced kid with the MAGA hat who was mocking a Native American elder is going to speak. I guess they will roll out their greatest hits from the past four years.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 18 August 2020 - 06:46 PM

#10902 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

The odd thing is that giving voice to these shitheads is likely going to be more effective to get a vote than listening to Bill Clinton speak about policy or real world things.

Centering dumbass viral Fbook stories somehow connects more than actual policy. It's a crappy dynamic, but we're seeing QAnon congressional candidates *win* races after seeing Trump win his.

The smart thing to do would be to give AOC, Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, Katie Porter etc more time to speak bc they're connecting and winning races now. They're especially good at getting viral moments while also pushing policy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10903 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:26 PM

I can’t remember the details. Didn’t the kid turn out to not be completely as much an asshole as he seemed?

#10904 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:02 PM

View PostCause, on 18 August 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

I can’t remember the details. Didn’t the kid turn out to not be completely as much an asshole as he seemed?

No.

You believed the white-washing of the whole thing, done by conservative media, to protect the poor, innocent, little white boy who did nothing wrong, in their eyes.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#10905 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:12 PM

There were multiple groups there and what seemed to happen was that the kid (Nick Sandmann) was part of an anti abortion group of high schoolers that came into conflict with a group of Black Israelites. Lots of yelling, potential for a fight. Phillips, the Native American guy with the drum, tried to defuse things between the two groups and got surrounded by the high schoolers. Some of the high school kids mocked the song Phillips sang and Sandmann stood there while the video was taken. I don't think Sandmann was someone who directly mocked Phillips.

So less of an asshole, but still an asshole.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10906 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:27 PM

View Postamphibian, on 18 August 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

I can't remember the details. Didn't the kid turn out to not be completely as much an asshole as he seemed?

There were multiple groups there and what seemed to happen was that the kid (Nick Sandmann) was part of an anti abortion group of high schoolers that came into conflict with a group of Black Israelites. Lots of yelling, potential for a fight. Phillips, the Native American guy with the drum, tried to defuse things between the two groups and got surrounded by the high schoolers. Some of the high school kids mocked the song Phillips sang and Sandmann stood there while the video was taken. I don't think Sandmann was someone who directly mocked Phillips.

So less of an asshole, but still an asshole.

Initial media coverage made it seem as if Sandmann had gotten up in his face and was actively mocking him. The video demonstrated that he stood in place and didn't move out of the way as the Native American man approached him. The smirk... well he's no Mona Lisa, some people tried to dismiss it as possibly just a nervous smile, but that seems unlikely. Not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be, but still bad.

The classmates who were actively mocking him were worse. We shouldn't forget about them.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 August 2020 - 09:31 PM

#10907 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:02 PM

I was looking over the video of the roll call from night 2 of the DNC last night, I wanted to see my state's call out (link to video https://www.youtube....h?v=vQ9s4x_Mybs). As I was scanning through, I had to do a double take when I saw Ohio's call out. I thought the guy's shirt said "I Blew Joe"Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image. Upon further examination, my shock was assuaged. *shuwee *awkward-moment-averted

But damn that had me going WTF! there for a moment. I'm guessing "IBEW" is a union?

Posted Image

#10908 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:38 AM

It is. Builders and electrical workers I think.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10909 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:41 AM

Listening to the speeches over the last couple of days of the Democratic Convention really highlights what a natural orator Barack Obama was and is. Kamala Harris was interesting and had some good moments, but she has none of the same ease.
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#10910 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:38 PM

Edit: Tweet doesn't seem to embed:

https://twitter.com/...1600958470?s=20

Steve Bannon was arrested today along with two other people for their alleged roles in defrauding hundreds of thousands of donors in an online crowdfunding campaign known as “We Build the Wall,” prosecutors say.

Isn't it just a darn shame that all these fine people Trump surrounds himself with keep getting arrested?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 August 2020 - 02:40 PM

#10911 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 August 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

Edit: Tweet doesn't seem to embed:

https://twitter.com/...1600958470?s=20

Steve Bannon was arrested today along with two other people for their alleged roles in defrauding hundreds of thousands of donors in an online crowdfunding campaign known as "We Build the Wall," prosecutors say.

Isn't it just a darn shame that all these fine people Trump surrounds himself with keep getting arrested?

'From CBS' Pat Milton: Steve Bannon was taken into custody today by US Postal Service agents. He's expected to be arraigned today before a US magistrate.'

https://twitter.com/...%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

'the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, the law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service, played a key role in helping New York prosecutors investigate Trump’s former top adviser.

Strauss even gave the division, also known as the Postal Inspectors or USPIS, a special shoutout in her statement. “We thank the USPIS for their partnership in investigating this case,” she said.'

https://www.vice.com...icted-for-fraud

#10912 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:16 PM

He was arrested on a boat off the coast of Connecticut too....I wonder if it was in a Boat Parade...?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10913 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Bannon looks ecstatic....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

#10914 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:49 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10915 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:00 PM

Trump also lost his tax case again! One step closer to seeing them.

#10916 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:06 PM

Trump has said he doesn't know any of the 3 people involved.

But didn't trump like....appoint one of them?

I mean, at some stage a reporter has to raise their hand and say, no Mr Trump, you documentedly do know them. You fucking orange clownboat

#10917 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 August 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

Trump has said he doesn't know any of the 3 people involved.

But didn't trump like....appoint one of them?

I mean, at some stage a reporter has to raise their hand and say, no Mr Trump, you documentedly do know them. You fucking orange clownboat

I would pay cold hard cash to the reporter who would call him a fucking orange clown boat. That would Make my month!

#10918 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

About the boaters for Trump thing (and its seemingly rise in recent popularity), are they doing that as a way to potentially get away with illegal shit because- "international waters"? I know they would have to go quite a way out to sea I believe, but I can see a situation where these dummies think they can try some illegal shit and claim the international waters defense.

#10919 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:47 PM

I think it’s just because he called out boaters more than once at a rally and people have mocked him because seeing a few supporters on a boat doesn’t mean ever poll that said he is losing is wrong.

#10920 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:40 PM

So, how folksy is Biden gonna be tonight? Hopefully he has some speechwriters that know his folksy verbiage can be a negative. Think he'll mention "Corn Pop" or call someone a "'dog faced pony soldier"? Also, I wonder if he will continue with the idea that he would have taken Donald Trump behind the woodshed and given him a whoopin' back in the day.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users