• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7901 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:07 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 November 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

Pubs retain Senate.

I have no reason to doubt either one of those early calls.

Nah. They are both as expected. I'm sad that Gillum and Abrams didn't win their Gubernatorial races, but surprised that the midwest elected a number of democratic governors, and both colorado and michigan had election reforms on ballot, and passed.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7902 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:55 AM

Re-enfranchisement in FL was good. The North Carolina supreme court gerrymandering amendments were creamed, plus they flipped the court so it's 5-2 progressive. Maine's governor went Dem. Kobach really did get woodchipped (figuratively!!!). Overall, I'm not happy about the big losses to MAGA racists, and the Senate is a major problem going forward, but for a midterm it's pretty cool what gains (many surprising) we made.

Right now, Evers vs. Scott Walker in WI is a nail-biter and the one that's still making my stomach turn.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7903 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:01 AM

That should read "relatively cool," given that our system is built to crush all hope.

#7904 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:09 AM

View Postworry, on 07 November 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

That should read "relatively cool," given that our system is built to crush all hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin-a2lTelg

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 November 2018 - 06:38 AM

#7905 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:36 AM

That YT says "Video Unavailable" for me! What was it?

Anyway...

#7906 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:56 AM

View Postworry, on 07 November 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

That YT says "Video Unavailable" for me! What was it?

Anyway...

The song that came to mind when I saw Heitkamp lost and Cruz won... should be fixed now.

#7907 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

America seems so backwards. Over here it's blue that's the bad guys, but over there the Rich Texans are red! What a world.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#7908 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 07 November 2018 - 01:44 AM, said:

54% chance that the Dems win the house according to recent numbers...looks like a tie to me.

Sidebar: @ worry: I have said since the beginning that the dems calling it “racism” was a distraction as a note. It’s always been about the middle working class of the abandoned flyover states.

Saying a thing over and over doesn't make it true.

So, is the Dems winning the House an overall net positive (forgive the ignorant Brit here) - or does it just mean Trump has a cast iron point-the-finger of blame for anything that happens between now and the next presidential election? Or perhaps both?
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#7909 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

Yeah Nico I think the rampant white supremacy and actual racism and Nazis parading through American cities as a result of MAGA are why they're saying it. I'm honestly not convinced you're not racist yourself because you certainly seem to support them all but meh.

Overall it seems like yesterday was a good thing. The orange fascist doesn't have such a stranglehold and unchecked power any more. No doubt as TRB says he will blame anything that goes wrong on the Dems but he's been doing that anyway when he had control of both so that doesn't change anything.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7910 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

I wouldn't be so certain tiste. They are careful to let the statement mean different things to different people. As long as they get the vote they don't care why

#7911 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

It makes me sad that so many Americans really have doubled down on clearly racist leaders. None of these races should have been so close.

Anyone think Beto will make a run at the presidency in 2020? I mean the guy almost turned Texas blue.

I loathe Ted Cruz.

So, since the Dems flipped the House...how long till the 52 Republican blocked subpoenas get called, and how long till we see Trump's Taxes finally?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7912 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 07 November 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

So, is the Dems winning the House an overall net positive (forgive the ignorant Brit here) - or does it just mean Trump has a cast iron point-the-finger of blame for anything that happens between now and the next presidential election? Or perhaps both?

It is a net positive, it means that the Trump Administration cannot pass any further laws the democrats don't agree with. Since the Dems didn't win the Senate (which had a very low percentage to happen), it means the GOP can continue to pack the courts with racist old white men.

It should force Trump to, if he wants to get anything done, try to do it via Executive Order.

However, there certainly wasn't a 'blue wave', I think because the Democrats don't have a unified message of what the fuck they are voting for. I live in a blue state and the only messages I saw were 'I'm a democrat on the ticket'.

I think people like Gillum and Beto and Abrams are the future of the party. However they all lost, so its ammunition for the conservative democrats to say 'see, people who actually want to make things better can't win' and try to get another old white man as the presidential candidate. The thing to note is that neither the Beto nor Abrams races should have ever been competitive, and Gillum would probably have won very easily if he was a lighter skinned black man, which just shows what the south is all about.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7913 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 November 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

Yeah Nico I think the rampant white supremacy and actual racism and Nazis parading through American cities as a result of MAGA are why they're saying it. I'm honestly not convinced you're not racist yourself because you certainly seem to support them all but meh.

Overall it seems like yesterday was a good thing. The orange fascist doesn't have such a stranglehold and unchecked power any more. No doubt as TRB says he will blame anything that goes wrong on the Dems but he's been doing that anyway when he had control of both so that doesn't change anything.

To be clear, he's been giving speeches about obstructionist dems and crooked hillary and george soros blocking his agenda since he's become president with full control of the both chambers of congress. Nothing will change, since he, and his followers, aren't in the same reality the rest of us are.

MAGA is inherently racist. The MAGA demonstrations, the tiki torch nazis, are inherently fascist. The entire message is a dog whistle to white men that their majority is being challenged by these people of other races who keep breeding.

#7914 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

Also, some other good news, a lot of women got elected, some muslim women got elected, some native american women got elected - all of that is firsts for the US.

The electorate is changing. The white male vote is losing power, and this is why Trumps' racism is striking home in so many of these scared little muppets. They've never had to deal with actual hard situations before, and the first time they do, it's got to be because some black dude stole their job or something.

The more I learn of it, the more I wish that after the Civil War the North Treated the South like Germany was treated after WW2. Forced reconstruction and required education about how/where they went wrong and why. The South should have never been allowed to put up all these traitorous statues during the Jim Crow Era.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 07 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

#7915 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:15 PM

Fucking hell.

Now that the Dems have the House and have the ability to investigate some of the shady shit going on with the administration...the other side is now saying stuff like "don't start all kinds of investigations! Get shit done, otherwise we will hold you accountable for spending money and not getting actual shit done!"

I can't even with these people.

The GOP basically acts like entitled brats for two years while they control all branches (with Trump claiming the Democrats [who had no power] are stopping him getting shit done....somehow), and they stack the SCOTUS....and the very minute the opposition gets a TEENCY bit of power to hold their shady fuckery accountable for any of it...the party line/media blast is "don't investigate us! Do your jobs instead!"

How you people live in a country under the vile fist of the party known as Republicans is beyond me. I have a hard enough time with Doug Ford in Ontario...and even he is milquetoast compared to the evil that spawned out of your GOP.

This is like a bully spending years pounding his fist in the face of a fellow student, only for that student to finally become a hall monitor and so the bully goes trying to tell all the other students how the hall monitor should not hold him accountable for being a bully and should just get on hall monitoring. It's fucking nuts. And I fear it's going to work.

Trump will act like the Dem controlled House is his boogeyman, spending tax money on investigations he (and thus his base) finds spurious...meanwhile the GOP spent what? 4 years on Benghazi? But thats okay because "her emails" or some shit.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7916 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

Huh Jim Acosta just stood up to Trump at his press conference. Stood in his face while Trump growled for him to "sit down" and "stop"....and he just stood there and Trump starts like walking to the side of the podium as if to leave...you could FEEL the rage off Trump that someone dared to stand up to him and tell him no, even if it was just briefly and only from a media guy...it amused me.

#7917 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 November 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Trump will act like the Dem controlled House is his boogeyman, spending tax money on investigations he (and thus his base) finds spurious...meanwhile the GOP spent what? 4 years on Benghazi? But thats okay because "her emails" or some shit.

11 investigations, all of which returned nothing.

And the phrase is 'Buttery Males'.

#7918 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 07 November 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

I laughed the hardest I have ever laughed at one of these conferences with Acosta.

I don’t like him. Showboating scumbag

I assume you are calling Trump a showboating scumbag?

#7919 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Also at today's press conference: Trump told a black reporter (PBS's Yamiche Alcindor) that her question about the perception that his rhetoric emboldens white nationalists was "such a racist question" and "so insulting to me." What an embarrassing crybaby.

#7920 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

According to Danish Radio Jeff Sessions is out.

Oh boy, this new season of America in Flames is starting out running!

I hope this season picks back up where the Mueller investigation ended before the Midterm Finale. Will Mueller finally get Trump or will Trump sacrifice his son before the season ends?

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 07 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

160 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 160 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook