• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7661 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

What a shit-show. Oh well, haven't been fired yet!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7662 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:51 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 28 September 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

When opportune, do explain in greater detail?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7663 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:26 PM

Huh, Trump ordered the supplentary FBI investigation now. I was not expecting that.

This means that Flake and possible two of the other swing votes said the confirmation would fail on the floor if they didn’t go through with it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7664 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 28 September 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

I work with hardcore Trump supporters. I live in a pro-Republican state. We had the hearings on yesterday and today in the office. Sometimes my mouth says things it shouldn't.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7665 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:22 PM

No, it was more of a general question.

#7666 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 28 September 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 28 September 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

I work with hardcore Trump supporters. I live in a pro-Republican state. We had the hearings on yesterday and today in the office. Sometimes my mouth says things it shouldn't.

Well HD at least we have Trump to guide us through us this mess he’s asking for a more formal investigation.

I’m glad we have such a president guiding us through this chaos. Luckily he gets to choose another Supreme Court pick soon enough too!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7667 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

You are utterly delusional and I don't think there's any help for you.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7668 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 September 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

He actually ordered it done? Earlier (right after I think) he said would go along with whatever the committee decided.

Perhaps Trump wants to distract from something... or some things. For starters:

'Under the Fog of Kavanaugh, House Passes $3.8 Trillion More in Tax Cuts'

http://fortune.com/2...ontent=20180929

#7669 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

This. Is. Perfection.

Brett Kavanaugh VS Pulp Fiction.

Whoever made this meme is boss!

https://youtu.be/Kb9fwsJILEs

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 September 2018 - 04:49 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7670 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 September 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

I guess Nico is meaning a possible 3rd if Judge Ruth dies?

That is definitely what he means. He's not entirely wrong on that account though. And I'd argue that if Trump gets reelected, it's all but a certainty that he'll get to pick a third.

#7671 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

Sounds like the FBI investigation is...to use as neutral a description as possible while still remaining accurate...a sham to cover the butts of GOP "moderates" who want to vote Yes.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7672 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

And in that same spirit of using responsible, noninflammatory language, I will spare everyone the term I'd usually use to describe this. But I will say it makes me queasy to see the U.S. government concentrating so many immigrant children into this kind of prison encampment.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7673 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:55 AM

A piece on Kavanaugh's background. What is the reputation of the author? Or NBC's positions on this? Are they partisan or objective? Ish.

https://www.nbcnews....-don-ncna907391
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7674 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

None of it reads as surprising

#7675 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 October 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

A piece on Kavanaugh's background. What is the reputation of the author? Or NBC's positions on this? Are they partisan or objective? Ish.

https://www.nbcnews....-don-ncna907391

This is all more or less known.

In a saner time this appointment would not even have been attempted. But the republicans have the senate and the presidency, have cleared away the filibuster, and now have little impediment to putting up whoever they like, and a strong incentive to stack as much as they can, because they have also cleared away all the means by which they could have prevented nominees by future democrat president/senate pairs.

Hence the undercurrent in the Kavanaugh hearings (and Graham rant) about the democrats holding back and timing the allegations to try and force a delay until after the midterms. The only weapons the democrats have left are delay and making the republicans look bad winning.

A real mess would follow if the democrats get their delay and then take back the senate (both unlikely at this stage). Because that could likely then expand on the republican delay precedent and leave the seat unfilled 2 more years.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7676 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

View PostNevyn, on 01 October 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

(and Graham rant)

Graham is bucking for the AG spot that Sessions will likely vacate sometime after the midterms. That whole speech was a plea to Trump directly.

#7677 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 October 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Dairy products will be dealt with fairly (whatever the hell thats truly about)

Here is a handy guide. This deals with it a bit broadly...but the nuts and bolts of the issue is there.

I think the biggest crutch that needs to be removed is the Supply Management portion on our side. It's antiquated and can no longer serve as needed in a global market. As the article says our Milk, Eggs, and Chicken are all INSANELY overpriced and have been for years. So any reclassification that eases the tariff wall on those products coming from the States is a good thing in my books.

#7678 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

The dairy thing is absolutely batshit insane.

Here's why: https://www.esquire....owa-california/

Devin Nunes has been one of the biggest supporters of Trump and one of the specific reasons why he's so big on the dairy thing is because his family secretly moved to Iowa, to the racist Steve Kong's district, and they've been supporting huge crackdowns on illegal immigrants because they don't want their mostly illegal immigrant workforce to get uppity ideas about being paid more to do the tough work.

It's one of the most counter-intuitive yet evil things I've seen in a while. Trump doesn't really give a shit, but it sounds sorta good to his supporters.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7679 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

View Postamphibian, on 01 October 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

Trump doesn't really give a shit, but it sounds sorta good to his supporters.

^^This is very true. No matter what trade deals end up on the south side of NAFTA 1.1, Trump didn't care about anything but talking about it from Wisconsin and making a good show to dairy farmers. He doesn't truly care one way or the other.

#7680 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

On the new trade deal

Basically confirms what we all know. Trump hardly changed a thing, his few wins are largely symbolic and he could have had them a year ago, but we had to go through all the trade war rigmarole so Trump could look like a tough guy, and time the agreement with the midterms.

Interesting notes on the dairy changes:

Meanwhile, Canada has agreed to expand duty-free access to our domestic market for U.S. milk producers – reportedly slightly more than was already offered in the Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations with the previous administration. This affects a fraction of 1 per cent of our total exports. The highly contentious class 6 and 7 milk products have also been normalized. I suspect this will, as usual, be accompanied by further subsidies for Canadian dairy farmers, but will have little or no impact on Canadian consumer prices.

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

72 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 72 guests, 0 anonymous users