• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4361 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

My biggest disappointment is this wall being brought up , what a waste of tangible assets. Sherrif Joe had to right go after the business if that's your thing. Alternatively, quick role the process and the right would actually grow the Conservative party by a shit-ton, Mexicans are really really religious. Whatever you shit-bags...btw most of these folks are great people, who work hard and deserve a American living wage and not the bullshit under the table illegal wage they get.

What Trump should be focusing on was ... Was on his site... Posting prices before you land in the hospital... This baffles me...... Either side
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#4362 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

I thought the wall was quietly being given less and less attention by trump?

An actual physical wall is insanity. Maybe a minefield?

#4363 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, that will look great when the opposition start showing images of Mexican kids that got their legs blown off by Trumps minefield.

The only place minefields make sense is in actual wars, even then they are a really dirty tactic.

This post has been edited by Apt: 06 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

#4364 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

I propose -- and perhaps I'll get laughed out of the country for this -- sensible, humane immigration reform.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4365 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 06 January 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

I propose -- and perhaps I'll get laughed out of the country for this -- sensible, humane immigration reform.

Do you want the terrorists to win?!
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4366 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Looks like we found ourselves a communist boys!

#4367 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostApt, on 06 January 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Yeah, that will look great when the opposition start showing images of Mexican kids that got their legs blown off by Trumps minefield.

The only place minefields make sense is in actual wars, even then they are a really dirty tactic.

Yeah I am not serious. At the same time building a giant continent spanning wall to keep the wildlings out of westeros seems a bit fantastical. The wall does not need to be physical.

#4368 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Looks like the GOP's plan to do to Obama as was done to Akhenaten will probably succeed more easily and quickly than previously thought:

https://www.theatlan...lations/512348/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4369 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

A grim forecast for progressives, to be sure. This is the reality of politics these days though, particularly in America, where ideology and corporate interest reign supreme. As an example, no matter that the problem with Obamacare is the explosion in drug prices, big government is bad, so let's dismantle the whole system, raising prices even further, and at the moment having no credible alternative or plan to deal with drug prices.

Considering the pharmaceutical industry is one of the biggest donators in Congress, I don't expect much to change in the short to medium term. Obamacare will be gutted and only then will the public debate ovet its replacement begin.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4370 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

Voting maps. Interesting way to look at it.

http://www.vividmaps...rchipelago.html
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4371 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

AKA: Urban and college areas voted for Clinton. Marion and Monroe Islands are Indianapolis and Bloomington (Indiana University). Right below are Louisville and Lexington (U of L and UK, respectively).
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4372 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostCaptain Needa, on 08 January 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Voting maps. Interesting way to look at it.

http://www.vividmaps...rchipelago.html

Seems to be more confusing than enlightening to me. They were seperated by something like 200 000 vots right? She has the cities and he had the rural areas. It was a very close race, that map makes it seem like a landslide.

#4373 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hillary won popular vote by ~3,000,000 votes, Cause.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 08 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4374 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

So, by voting in Trump, did it automatically mean this suddenly became OK? Or even laudable?

Because let's face it, if the American people vote in a guy who behaves pretty much like this, surely it's OK to emulate his behaviour?

http://www.news.com....f762799f3a4f315

#4375 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

And Trump, the narcissistic bully, has called her overrated in response. What a pathetic little man he is.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4376 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Until he responded the whole incident was not even a blip on my radar. After! It's ridiculous that even after winning his first response to even such insignificant things as this is to go on the attack. By calling a women receiving a lifetime achievement award overrated. Worse he honestly seems to believe his own revisionist history in which te did not mock a disabled reporter. I watched the tape! No room for ambiguity

#4377 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

View PostCause, on 10 January 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Until he responded the whole incident was not even a blip on my radar. After! It's ridiculous that even after winning his first response to even such insignificant things as this is to go on the attack. By calling a women receiving a lifetime achievement award overrated. Worse he honestly seems to believe his own revisionist history in which te did not mock a disabled reporter. I watched the tape! No room for ambiguity

Well it's not like it matters that the evidence is on tape. It's like all con men (most notably psychics, and anyone selling 'information' about what the stock market is going to do) know - people remember when you're right and forget the times you were wrong.
Trump is just playing the same tune as anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO, Superfood and homeopathy peddlers, and the likes of Milo Yiannopoloslolsls, except he's doing it for keeps and on an entire country. Like many politicians before him, just without the self restraint and future career to worry about.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4378 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

I'm watching the Senate hearing on Jeff Sessions right now.

1. It would be so much better if more people were to watch these sort of things, in the 25 minutes I've been listening a ridiculous number of issues I had NEVER thought of have been discussed. If more people knew how complex government actually is, maybe they would be less likely to be so naive about it.

2. I don't know what kind of man Sessions is (whether he is a racist, an asshole, or whatever). He certainly sounds (and probably is) competent as a lawyer. He is also recognizing a shit ton of nuance that I did not expect a Trump pick to recognize.

Holy fuck they are asking him about the "pussy grabbing".

Edit: Who the fuck is Hatch. He is going to make me throw up.

Also, yes, I have an assignment I'm procrastinating on.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 10 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4379 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

If you mean Orrin Hatch, then he's a Senator from the great state of Utah, and is potentially a clone from the same vat that birthed Jeff Sessions.

Sessions is definitely an experienced lawyer and legislator -- like decades' worth -- and while I personally consider him a genuine bigot from various things I've read over the years, it's almost a moot point because his record is one of serving white supremacy as a status quo regardless of his personal prejudices. Whether deeply held beliefs or political opportunism, they serve the same function as a cog in the government machine. Here's a decent look at one of the more controversial maneuvers he's pulled in his career: https://www.nytimes....ant-escape.html
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4380 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Postdeath rattle, on 10 January 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

If you mean Orrin Hatch, then he's a Senator from the great state of Utah, and is potentially a clone from the same vat that birthed Jeff Sessions.

Sessions is definitely an experienced lawyer and legislator -- like decades' worth -- and while I personally consider him a genuine bigot from various things I've read over the years, it's almost a moot point because his record is one of serving white supremacy as a status quo regardless of his personal prejudices. Whether deeply held beliefs or political opportunism, they serve the same function as a cog in the government machine. Here's a decent look at one of the more controversial maneuvers he's pulled in his career: https://www.nytimes....ant-escape.html

Yep, that is the exact sort of behavior I would expect from the man on my screen.

The only thing worse than a bigot (or whatever he is) is a competent one.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users