• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13881 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2023 - 04:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2023 - 04:08 PM, said:

Also, people like to pretend that because he was born in TelAviv and is the Israeli PM that he didn't somehow grow in up in his formative years in Philly...He could not be more tied to the US if he tried.

Cheltenham, not Philadelphia. There's a huge difference between Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs. Being from the suburbs does not make you 'from Philadelphia'....

Same suburb as Ezra Pound incidentally.

[Edit: Pound was a famous Modernist poet, editor, and critic and vocal anti-semite, though he recanted his anti-semitism after his side lost WWII: 'the worst mistake I made was that stupid, suburban prejudice of anti-Semitism.'

More Observations on Ezra Pound - The Allen Ginsberg Project ]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 October 2023 - 04:58 PM

#13882 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 October 2023 - 05:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2023 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 October 2023 - 03:45 PM, said:

but that distinction went right out the window when Hamas attacked. Even blaming Netanyahu has been muted at least for the present. ...i think, i could be wrong.

The same Hamas that Netanyahu said publicly that Israel must "bolster and support" in 2019? That same Hamas?

The same. The same Hamas that declined to give up their Jihad against Israel in response. I doubt Netanyahu's public support of Hamas was worth much. Israel were stuck w the results of the Palestinian election. At a minimum the US were standing behind them saying they had to give this a chance. And likely the 'support' was little more than 'you behave and we won't bomb the crap out of you again but we're not giving you a damn thing, don't trust you, won't work w you, and those bombs are staying loaded.'. And Hamas blinked innocently and looked wounded and started scouting borders and stockpiling weapons. Again.

It's not analogous to the US supporting the Afghan mujahedeen and having them turn on them. Israel didn't support Hamas because Hamas was working against Israel's enemies. Hamas was who they were stuck with. Had Hamas made the move to valid political org working the system - see: the IRA - the situation may have played out differently, but that was likely never either side's intent. They were always going to get to this. Again.

Don't confuse my feelings about Hamas with blind support for the Israeli gov. I support Israel's right to exist and defend itself. I do not support what's been done and is being done to the Palestinians.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13883 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2023 - 06:30 PM

Is there a republican alive who can get the necessary votes to be speaker. Someone has to give up their ideological ground to compromise and the nut jobs wont blink first but most people seem to realise they and theirs are dangerous to the US but more importantly as the GOP seems to see it, they are dangerous to the GOP longterm.

Not really sure why Mcarthy got booted, he was workign with the Dems? Which he has no choice but to do as they control the senate and presidency. Scalice is a racist, Jim Jordan accused of turning a blind eye to sexual abuse, too hardline and has passed zero bills in 16 years. Who will be next? The most famous GOP house Reps who steal all the media oxygen are as bad as worse.

Cna this ideological divide split the gop and change americas two party system? I doubt it but whats the way out of this.

#13884 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 October 2023 - 07:07 PM

Gaetz hates McCarthy because McCarthy gave the go ahead for an ethics investigation into Gaetz.

Gaetz is the guy who I will say was part of a sex trafficking group and probably had sex with a minor - although the Department of Justice declined to press charges. The ethics investigation was for stuff he was doing with campaign funds, inappropriate stuff in Congress etc though.

Gaetz clearly wanted that stuff to go away and McCarthy was not making it to away. So that plus the political stuff out in the open made it easy for Gaetz to do all this in conjunction with the other goobers.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#13885 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 October 2023 - 03:33 PM

Trump said [...] that instead of voting, his fans should "get out there and watch those voters," [...] "You don't have to vote, don't worry about voting. The voting, we got plenty of votes."

[...] "I don't mind being Nelson Mandela because I'm doing it for a reason, [...] We've got to save our country from these fascists, these lunatics that we're dealing with. They're horrible people and they're destroying our country."

[...] promising to build a missile defense system [...] "capable of blasting Chinese, Russian, and Iranian missiles out of our skies."

"Americans deserve an Iron Dome, and that's what we're going to have," [...]

He described Biden's [Oval Office address] as "a grotesque betrayal of Israel [...] one of the most dangerous and deluded speeches ever delivered from the Oval Office."

Reflecting Biden's comments in 2018 "I'd take [Trump] behind the gym and beat the hell out of him" if they were back in high school, Trump [said]: "I dream of that. You know what I'd do with him? I'd hit him right in that fake nose. He'd have plastic lying all over the floor." Trump [...] made punching gestures in the air.

Trump Tells Supporters: 'Don't Worry About Voting' on Election Day (thedailybeast.com)

A hypersonic iron dome?...

So in Trump's world (or rhetoric at least) Biden's speech was a 'grotesque betrayal' because it wasn't pro-Israel(i-atrocities?) enough....

[Pretending to punch Biden,] Trump made a fist and mimed three soft jabs, complete with his own sound effects.

"Poof, poof, poof," Trump said as the audience howled with delight.

Jimmy Kimmel Spots Trump's Weird New Threat Against Joe Biden | HuffPost Entertainment

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 October 2023 - 03:45 PM

#13886 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 October 2023 - 11:07 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 October 2023 - 03:33 PM, said:

Trump said [...] that instead of voting, his fans should "get out there and watch those voters," [...] "You don't have to vote, don't worry about voting. The voting, we got plenty of votes."

[...] "I don't mind being Nelson Mandela because I'm doing it for a reason, [...] We've got to save our country from these fascists, these lunatics that we're dealing with. They're horrible people and they're destroying our country."

[...] promising to build a missile defense system [...] "capable of blasting Chinese, Russian, and Iranian missiles out of our skies."

"Americans deserve an Iron Dome, and that's what we're going to have," [...]

He described Biden's [Oval Office address] as "a grotesque betrayal of Israel [...] one of the most dangerous and deluded speeches ever delivered from the Oval Office."

Reflecting Biden's comments in 2018 "I'd take [Trump] behind the gym and beat the hell out of him" if they were back in high school, Trump [said]: "I dream of that. You know what I'd do with him? I'd hit him right in that fake nose. He'd have plastic lying all over the floor." Trump [...] made punching gestures in the air.

Trump Tells Supporters: 'Don't Worry About Voting' on Election Day (thedailybeast.com)

A hypersonic iron dome?...

So in Trump's world (or rhetoric at least) Biden's speech was a 'grotesque betrayal' because it wasn't pro-Israel(i-atrocities?) enough....

[Pretending to punch Biden,] Trump made a fist and mimed three soft jabs, complete with his own sound effects.

"Poof, poof, poof," Trump said as the audience howled with delight.

Jimmy Kimmel Spots Trump's Weird New Threat Against Joe Biden | HuffPost Entertainment

He says he will blast Russian missiles out of the sky, yet he praised Putlerloving Orban, and even promoted him to be president of Turkey.

Does not compute.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13887 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 October 2023 - 05:57 PM

We officially have a new whackadoodle as speaker.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#13888 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 October 2023 - 06:09 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 25 October 2023 - 05:57 PM, said:

To be fair everyone on that side of the aisle is varying degrees of whackadoodle...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13889 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 October 2023 - 06:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 October 2023 - 06:09 PM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 25 October 2023 - 05:57 PM, said:

To be fair everyone on that side of the aisle is varying degrees of whackadoodle...

Worn down by infighting, mainstream and hard-right Republicans united to elect the deeply conservative [whackadoodle] lawmaker, who is a leading 2020 election denier [whackadoodle].

Mike Johnson Elected as Speaker of the House: Live Updates - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Now the government can finally shut down properly, as the good Trump hath commanded!

[Edit: actually, the shutdown would happen on November 17th....]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 October 2023 - 06:19 PM

#13890 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 October 2023 - 06:18 PM

He is as far right as is currently in Congress, with all the implications that entails.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13891 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 October 2023 - 06:35 PM

Not that it matters, there aren't any moderating forces in the R side of Congress. They're all in lockstep about what happens next if they get full reign.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13892 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:13 PM

Well, that fills one with confidence. The new leader of a democratically elected government body who has actively undermined the legal election process and legally challenged it. This bodes well for the USA.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13893 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:44 PM

This is scary as well. Hopefully the senate can keep him in check. Have I mentioned that I hate republicans?

https://www.cnn.com/...file/index.html
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#13894 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 October 2023 - 08:24 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 25 October 2023 - 07:44 PM, said:

This is scary as well. Hopefully the senate can keep him in check. Have I mentioned that I hate republicans?

https://www.cnn.com/...file/index.html

I shouldn't be shocked by anything these days, but criminalizing homsexual sex (in this day and age)... that shocked me a bit.

But this made me lol:

“If you were shocked by the moral lapses at the Super Bowl you ain’t seen nothin’ yet,” Johnson wrote. “Experts project that homosexual marriage is the dark harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy that could doom even the strongest republic.”

#13895 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 25 October 2023 - 08:49 PM

#ProudToBeDeviant

#13896 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 October 2023 - 09:56 PM

Fuck your government guys.
Like seriously

Hard behind it is fuck the tories, but the GOP is dystopian hard Sci fi levels of evil governance

WHO VOTES FOR THESE TRASH BAGS???

#13897 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 October 2023 - 06:06 AM

In this case: other Republicans. It's the "We, from Toilet Duck, recommend Toilet Duck" trope.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13898 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 October 2023 - 08:24 PM

Here’s Why Mike Johnson Is More Dangerous Than Donald Trump

The most dangerous movement in American politics today is not Trumpism. It is Christofascism. [...]

[...] the religious content of Johnson’s remarks “demonstrates that there are no public policy values that unify the Republican caucus anymore. [...] so they have fallen back on theocracy as the final binding mechanism of their cause.”

[...] he argued that if women were obligated to give birth to more “able-bodied workers,” Republicans might not have to cut Social Security and Medicare— which he has also described as the GOP’s number one priority.

[...] Trump believes in nothing but Trump. [Trump] leads a faction [...] either essentially obstructionist—like Jim Jordan or Matt Gaetz—or cynically in search of power at any cost—like Kevin McCarthy or Elise Stefanik—or profoundly ignorant—like Marjorie Taylor Greene or Lauren Boebert or [...]

But Johnson, although he is seen as part of this group, represents something different. He deeply (and apparently, sincerely) believes in the dominionist idea that the laws of the nation should conform to Christian theology and be rooted in the ideas of the Bible.

Here’s Why Mike Johnson Is More Dangerous Than Donald Trump (thedailybeast.com)

Johnson demonstrated that you can be a wild-eyed MAGA extremist who wants to turn the country into a Donald Trump autocracy and talk about it in a way that kind of sounds like you’re the captain of a high school debate team and drink milk for lunch and have a podcast about religion with your wife, which he does.

[...] what was so weird was people like Ken Buck, who said they couldn’t vote for Jim Jordan because of Jan. 6, but then all the Republicans lined up behind Johnson, who was the architect of election denialism.

[...] Jordan, for a long time, had been a thorn in their side. And so some of this was just good old high school cafeteria stuff. But I also think some of it was optics. They did not feel like he was somebody that should be the face of the party. And they feel like Johnson could be. I think that they’re in for a rude awakening. And I think that a lot of folks are going to be regretting their votes

Mike Johnson speaker of the house: The Goldilocks candidate for MAGA Republicans. (slate.com)

Hope on the horizon(?):

A “Dean Phillips For President” bus is apparently already on the road [...] Minnesota Congressman hasn’t yet formally announced [...] The Democrat is widely expected to take that step Friday[...] bus was plastered with the slogans, “Make America Affordable Again” and “Everyone’s Invited!”

Biden Appears to Have a Challenger After Dem’s 2024 Campaign Bus Spotted in Ohio (thedailybeast.com)

Would MAAA beat MAGA?... hmm.

Not hard to imagine how Trump &co would be making fun of those slogans....

#13899 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 November 2023 - 03:28 AM

https://www.vanityfa...ial-disclosures

The new speaker of the house has no listed bank accounts, no assets to his name. He will know tell America how to balance the deficit. How do these people win elections.

#13900 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:50 AM

View PostCause, on 03 November 2023 - 03:28 AM, said:

https://www.vanityfa...ial-disclosures

The new speaker of the house has no listed bank accounts, no assets to his name. He will know tell America how to balance the deficit. How do these people win elections.

He has no assets but his love of Go*!

(Also known on Earth as Donald Trump---
That's why he's exempt from all the rules)

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

53 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 53 guests, 0 anonymous users