• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13861 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 October 2023 - 02:12 PM

I couldn't see your last post as it was moderated before I got to it, but the one before that read:

"Climate change is a man made creation created by Dems to externalize their bad decision making processes as a note."

Considering that climate change is a global problem, just the mere claim that it is a US Democrats created issue to "externalize their bad decision making" is already evidence enough that you are spouting total nonsense with a heavy anti-Dem political agenda. As a non-US person (originally from the Netherlands and now residing in the UK) with absolutely no links to the US or direct involvement or stakes in the US political system, I can only laugh about this sort of US-centric conspiracy bullshit. Don't sell yourself here as a moderate, liberal-thinking and socially left leaning person with a desire to unite, when over the past few years you have done nothing but spout pro-gun, anti-vaccination rhetoric here with multiple weblinks to MAGA or similarly dodgy alt right websites. You aren't fooling anyone.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 12 October 2023 - 02:16 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13862 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 October 2023 - 02:32 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 12 October 2023 - 01:08 AM, said:

(@ Abyss Don't let hate divide us all for sure.)

Nico, you've been here a while. Your input on books is as worthwhile as anyone else's.
Your problem is here. In this subject area.
If you can't figure it out, keep doing it, find out what happens.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13863 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 October 2023 - 03:38 PM

I'm not going to defend conspiracy stuff. It should be snuffed out at every opportunity.

But I do want to point out that this could be construed as a liberal echo chamber with equally preposterous ideas for those who are of a more conservative bent. If that is the lens through which the board is viewed, I can almost understand the idea that it's okay to post radical, ignorant things.

However, we shouldn't go to far in an effort to provide a counter-balance as all that does is reward the liberal echo chamber. I view this as a thread to discuss real matters, in sometimes sarcastic and humorous ways, but always with the undertone of seriousness that is required.

What you need to take into consideration Nico is that making a mockery of that discussion by posting indefensible things defeats the purpose of allowing the conversation.

Which is probably the cause of the warning (not to speak for Abyss), but as someone who enjoys this thread.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 12 October 2023 - 03:39 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13864 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 October 2023 - 05:38 PM

Down goes Jim Jordan's hopes of being Speaker. Thank God.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13865 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 October 2023 - 05:50 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 17 October 2023 - 05:38 PM, said:

Down goes Jim Jordan's hopes of being Speaker. Thank God.

I was hoping he'd get shut down on that front....that man is bad enough in the roles he currently occupies in your govt....a Jim Jordan Speakership would be a nightmare.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13866 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 October 2023 - 12:38 PM

RFK Jr. to the rescue lol:

RFK Jr. Is Going to Be a Huge Problem for Trump, New Poll Shows

Biden would get a big boost in a three-way race [...] Among respondents, Biden wins 44 percent compared to Trump's 33 percent and Kennedy's 16 percent. [...] "Kennedy's presence erodes Trump's lead among independents and cuts into his support among Republicans,[...] Trump's loss among his base is double the loss Biden experiences among Democrats."

RFK Jr. Is Going to Be a Huge Problem for Trump, New Poll Shows (thedailybeast.com)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's hoping he brings his falcon to the debates (and takes off his shirt again to do some more push-ups, of course... 'Why are you the most qualified person on this stage to assume the mantle of the presidency?' takes off shirt, does push-ups...).

#13867 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 October 2023 - 01:10 PM

Only in this timeline is anti-vaxxer nut job RFK what might save the Americans populace from more Trump by yanking votes away from him....what a weird ass timeline.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13868 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 October 2023 - 01:14 PM

why are democrats not putting anyone other than Biden forward?
They want to hold off to run next time? Let Trumpalump in there might not be a next time the damage him and rabid GOP could do.
Dems need a strong win, to get checks and balances put in

#13869 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2023 - 04:14 PM

Sidney Powell entered a guilty plea. Admits to election interference and will have to co-operate against the other co-defendants at their trials. Is this the beginning of the end of Trumps Georgia trial? God I hope so.

View PostMacros, on 19 October 2023 - 01:14 PM, said:

They want to hold off to run next time? Let Trumpalump in there might not be a next time the damage him and rabid GOP could do.

The Dem bench is now so small that their is no one else to run. That and there is clearly some calcualtion that the incumbent has a better chance than a newbie. Im not so sure. I think Biden can will but people dont see to love him and people either have no opinion or a bad one of Harris.

Dems have a serious problem I think in that while republicans have several very famous governors, house reps and senators for all the wrong reasons they are household names. The Dems have who?

#13870 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 October 2023 - 04:24 PM

View PostCause, on 19 October 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

Dems have a serious problem I think in that while republicans have several very famous governors, house reps and senators for all the wrong reasons they are household names. The Dems have who?

The Big Lebowski Gretch. See post #1463509 in this thread....

Not sure how much of a household name Governor Whitmer is now though.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 19 October 2023 - 04:24 PM

#13871 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 October 2023 - 12:15 AM

View PostMacros, on 19 October 2023 - 01:14 PM, said:

A good leader is keenly aware that no matter how long you hold a position, you're always passing through, and will have to give it to someone else. A great leader trains people under them to take over and build upon what came before in their own way.

The Clintons - both of them - have simultaneously captured the donors and elites of the Democratic party for 30+ years (until Hilary lost to Trump) and failed to truly raise anyone up under them or in parallel to them.

Obama was a fluke in their vision and reality. Bernie is/was a fluke in everyone's reality.

Obama managed to pull enough strings to get Biden in over Bernie and we have to live with that. Bernie has been boosting quite a few liberal Democrats on the Congressional level and occasionally the governors and other representatives in more left leaning states (where his presence and money won't damage a candidate if it's public).

The Clintons came to power by changing the Democratic trajectory from Jimmy Carter's. That worked to get the presidency, but likely contributed to Gingrich screwing up Congress and so on.

I don't begrudge people like Vernon Jordan going to get big money after their time with the Clintons. But all of them functionally left no successors because they didn't want any or didn't put in the time to build them.

That makes for a desolate landscape after Biden, especially if Bernie is rejected by the main party.

Kamala ain't it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#13872 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2023 - 11:50 AM

Biden actually embracing a butcher like Netanyahu seems to be going over with Gen Z like a tonne of bricks...I'm seeing a lot of "don't vote for Biden, let the country implode" talk now, they're calling him Genocide Biden (Especially after the UN resolution for a ceasefire to get aid to the Palestinians in Gaza was shot down by a single country, the USA)...which....yeah Dems really should have spent the last few years pumping time and energy into someone younger and more viable for the future of the party...Biden was always a stopover to prevent the worse result of Trump again...but I recall even back when he won the presidency that it was meant as a short one term stint to give breathing room to the Dems to get someone else on the ticket in future...and they simply never did that.

People talk about the Dems being their worst enemy and quite frankly, it's hard not to see that as true when they do shit like this.

#13873 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 October 2023 - 11:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2023 - 11:50 AM, said:

Biden actually embracing a butcher like Netanyahu seems to be going over with Gen Z like a tonne of bricks...I'm seeing a lot of "don't vote for Biden, let the country implode" talk now, they're calling him Genocide Biden (Especially after the UN resolution for a ceasefire to get aid to the Palestinians in Gaza was shot down by a single country, the USA)...which....yeah Dems really should have spent the last few years pumping time and energy into someone younger and more viable for the future of the party...Biden was always a stopover to prevent the worse result of Trump again...but I recall even back when he won the presidency that it was meant as a short one term stint to give breathing room to the Dems to get someone else on the ticket in future...and they simply never did that.

People talk about the Dems being their worst enemy and quite frankly, it's hard not to see that as true when they do shit like this.

The issue a lot of folk have is the same one as we have in the UK recently - both feasible parties are hard right or worse, and even though Biden was the lesser evil compared to Trump, he's still horrid. I'm pretty sure I've seen something saying that he's a Zionist or has beliefs of that sort which are impacting his choice in this, and, well... Is it gonna be the re-biglying?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#13874 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2023 - 12:45 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 October 2023 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2023 - 11:50 AM, said:

The issue a lot of folk have is the same one as we have in the UK recently - both feasible parties are hard right or worse, and even though Biden was the lesser evil compared to Trump, he's still horrid. I'm pretty sure I've seen something saying that he's a Zionist or has beliefs of that sort which are impacting his choice in this, and, well... Is it gonna be the re-biglying?

Yes absolutely, and to be fair we KIND of have a similar thing in Canada with the Liberals being Center right and the Cons being far right...the NDP never getting much play as the only real progressive non-corporatist party we have...

And yeah, it's been clear a long time that Biden is a Zionist, recall way back in his congress days he has that speech where he says that if Israel didn't exist they would have to create it for US interests in the Middle East...it's always been about power, profit, and land...always. Meanwhile an entire people suffer under the yoke of an occupation of their land.

#13875 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 October 2023 - 02:50 PM

The significance of [...] Biden’s Oval Office address to the nation last night was signaled in the opening sentence: “We’re facing an inflection point in history.”

What followed was a speech that may well define Biden’s presidency. [...]

The commander in chief Biden most sounded like was Ronald Reagan[...]

[...] Trump—the dominant and defining figure in the GOP—has repeatedly praised [...] Putin, among other brutal dictators, holding Putin up as a model [...]

[...] it was a bit disorienting for some of us who are conservative and who were shaped by the Reagan era—and in my case, who worked as a young man in the Reagan administration—to see our foreign-policy principles championed last night not by the Republican Party but by the Democratic president, who spoke with impressive moral force and moral clarity [ha]. Our journey through the looking glass continues.

Biden's generally not as bad as Reagan, but he's still pretty terrible.

#13876 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2023 - 03:01 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 October 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

The significance of [...] Biden’s Oval Office address to the nation last night was signaled in the opening sentence: “We’re facing an inflection point in history.”

What followed was a speech that may well define Biden’s presidency. [...]

[...] Trump—the dominant and defining figure in the GOP—has repeatedly praised [...] Putin, among other brutal dictators, holding Putin up as a model [...]

[...] it was a bit disorienting for some of us who are conservative and who were shaped by the Reagan era—and in my case, who worked as a young man in the Reagan administration—to see our foreign-policy principles championed last night not by the Republican Party but by the Democratic president, who spoke with impressive moral force and moral clarity [ha]. Our journey through the looking glass continues.

It should also not be lost on anyone that he late-game now offered 100million in support to Palestinians in Gaza (after inexplicably vetoing a resolution in the UN to call for a ceasefire; make that make sense) while the USA gives BILLIONS per year to the very people that are oppressing and killing the people of Gaza (and in the West Bank frankly)...like "I'm going help you! but also I'm going to give 30 times that amount of monetary help to the people killing you...sorry not sorry"?

Like what is going on? I don't understand why the US can't simultaneously condemn Hamas, differentiate them from the Palestinian people, and ALSO maybe condemn the state of Israel for apartheid, and ethnic cleansing that so often goes against International Law....well I guess I know what's going on...the US interests align with Israel's occupation.

#13877 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 October 2023 - 03:11 PM

Things are fine on the domestic front.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by worry: 20 October 2023 - 03:11 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13878 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2023 - 03:20 PM

View Postworry, on 20 October 2023 - 03:11 PM, said:

Things are fine on the domestic front.
Posted Image

With all the shit going on in the world, it IS a little bit of a balm to see the GOP eat itself like this...

#13879 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 October 2023 - 03:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2023 - 03:01 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 October 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

The significance of [...] Biden's Oval Office address to the nation last night was signaled in the opening sentence: "We're facing an inflection point in history."

What followed was a speech that may well define Biden's presidency. [...]

It should also not be lost on anyone that he late-game now offered 100million in support to Palestinians in Gaza (after inexplicably vetoing a resolution in the UN to call for a ceasefire; make that make sense) while the USA gives BILLIONS per year to the very people that are oppressing and killing the people of Gaza (and in the West Bank frankly)...like "I'm going help you! but also I'm going to give 30 times that amount of monetary help to the people killing you...sorry not sorry"?

Like what is going on? I don't understand why the US can't simultaneously condemn Hamas, differentiate them from the Palestinian people, and ALSO maybe condemn the state of Israel for apartheid, and ethnic cleansing that so often goes against International Law....well I guess I know what's going on...the US interests align with Israel's occupation.

Certain oil related interests align w Hamas here. The US has to whistle and hum at the same time. Both sides of the US political mess have interest and influence in preventing that level of criticism of Israel. The interesting wrinkle in recent years was that a portion of those voices had started differentiating between the Israeli government and the people/state, but that distinction went right out the window when Hamas attacked. Even blaming Netanyahu has been muted at least for the present. ...i think, i could be wrong.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13880 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2023 - 04:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 October 2023 - 03:45 PM, said:

but that distinction went right out the window when Hamas attacked. Even blaming Netanyahu has been muted at least for the present. ...i think, i could be wrong.

The same Hamas that Netanyahu said publicly that Israel must "bolster and support" in 2019? That same Hamas? Funny how they were to be supported then according to Netanyahu, but are now being used as a scapegoat to annihilate what's left of Palestine in a collective punishment act while pretending it's because Hamas is nominally in charge there (as in the organization that got into power with 43% support in the last election in 2006 held there, and with the median age of Gazan's being 19 that MOST of the current 2million pop didn't vote for them at all having been kids at the time, or not born yet...but somehow it's their fault?) .

That Mfer knows exactly what he is and what he's doing playing everyone for fools.

Also, people like to pretend that because he was born in TelAviv and is the Israeli PM that he didn't somehow grow in up in his formative years in Philly...He could not be more tied to the US if he tried.

I'm saying that none of that should have gone out the window due to an act of terror...but it's the USA so of course it does. Reason and nuance flies out the window.

I AM interested to see what happens down the road when oil wanes in our society and other energy sources are used more robustly (be that electric, hydrogen, nuclear ect.) and the Middle East becomes less of a focus point for US interests...will the narrative flip? Will US/Can/European powers actually support a Palestinians state then? Will other countries where battery material is mined become flashpoints for political US interests....I'm fascinated to watch the paradigm shift, possibly in my lifetime.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users