• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 December 2020 - 09:08 PM

Understandable.

#12142 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:07 AM

Here come the pardons. And I think this is just the beginning. Buckle up, cause this could be a wild ride.

#12143 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:31 AM

He pardoned two border agents who shot an unarmed man and than tried to cover it up? Is there more to this story? That’s crazy even for him.

Edit - https://www.cnn.com/...bill/index.html

Art of the deal at it again

This post has been edited by Cause: 23 December 2020 - 02:09 AM

#12144 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:09 AM

View PostAptorian, on 21 December 2020 - 08:02 AM, said:

I think he's referring to the American stimulus package for corona-relief.

We really should have a refresh of the Discussion board rules, requiring people to provide context, preferably an article, before posting about a topic.

My 2c (chiefly as a member) is that this would probably discourage people from posting more than it's worth. It also leaves people (and mods) having to judge what needs citations and what doesn't. We can encourage people to flesh their posts out more - and to ask for clarifications when someone hasn't provided context - but I don't think rule-changes that make the barriers for posting higher is a great solution. I think it's perhaps more a question of culture.

I do think it's periodically worth discussing what people want out of these threads, and what we can do there from a moderation perspective, so happy to listen to any thoughts.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#12145 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:33 AM

This thread's quality waxes and wanes with the elections. You get far more participation in the electoral years/cycles, which leads to far more pretty less than quality posts, as it is more of an all-purpose banter/reaction/bull-shitting thread that kind of ramps up for a short period of time.

I suspect once Biden gets into office (or past the Georgia run-offs) we'll see a die down in activity in this thread and the low-quality posts will go with them for the most part.

IMHO.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12146 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:38 AM

Generally I follow it's just things occasionally dropped in that Americans or people who follow US politics closely will catch, where as I get most of my US info from here because the news on the whole depresses me and I don't follow much of it.

Who a that orange bastard (heh, that made me giggle for a whole NI other reason) pardons now will be, I won't say shocking, but fucking disgraceful

#12147 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:35 AM

View PostGrief, on 23 December 2020 - 03:09 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 21 December 2020 - 08:02 AM, said:

I think he's referring to the American stimulus package for corona-relief.

We really should have a refresh of the Discussion board rules, requiring people to provide context, preferably an article, before posting about a topic.

My 2c (chiefly as a member) is that this would probably discourage people from posting more than it's worth. It also leaves people (and mods) having to judge what needs citations and what doesn't. We can encourage people to flesh their posts out more - and to ask for clarifications when someone hasn't provided context - but I don't think rule-changes that make the barriers for posting higher is a great solution. I think it's perhaps more a question of culture.

I do think it's periodically worth discussing what people want out of these threads, and what we can do there from a moderation perspective, so happy to listen to any thoughts.

I agree and disagree. Of course the casual commentary and funny quip should be allowed but when commenting on a new event, like Trump's tweet of the day or some, to me, obscure court case - It should be expected that people provide context. Doesn't have to be a link but there should at least be a reference or explanation of what they want to discuss.

I can copy paste a handful of comments from the last two pages that are nonsensical if you haven't read what ever breaking bullshit is trending.

Edit: What I'm asking here doesn't actually require a rule change, I'm really just imploring people to put a little effort into their posts if they want an actual discussion.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 23 December 2020 - 09:57 AM

#12148 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:17 PM

Politico said:

Staffers in the Executive Office of the President were informed Tuesday that they "will start departing" on the week of Jan. 4, according to an email from the White House Management Office.

The memo, which was obtained by POLITICO, also included information pertaining to outgoing employees' payroll, benefits, sick leave, work records, ethics debriefing and security clearance.

Staffers were notified that they would receive a "comprehensive checklist" in the coming days and directed to "take inventory of your office space."

https://www.politico...ructions-450224

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#12149 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:37 PM

Moving day is the worst.

#12150 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:04 AM

Yowzers, $2,000 now goes to the Senate. That's pretty much a non starter for them and it dies there, yeah?

If this does go through, how is Trump going to benefit himself from it? . . . the "fighting for the working man and those suffering from the China virus" president.

#12151 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:08 AM

I think just giving people 2000 dollars is a great way to buy friendship.

Just as costing people 300 dollars of unemployment benefits for no reason is a great way to piss people off.

Let’s see what they say in Georgia.

I think really it’s just another example of the great negotiator doing a power move and than having to have his aids explain to him that the deadline was Sunday midnight before the government shuts down and so he had to backdown.

#12152 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:08 AM

I think just giving people 2000 dollars is a great way to buy friendship.

Just as costing people 300 dollars of unemployment benefits for no reason is a great way to piss people off.

Let’s see what they say in Georgia.

I think really it’s just another example of the great negotiator doing a power move and than having to have his aids explain to him that the deadline was Sunday midnight before the government shuts down and so he had to backdown.

#12153 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:26 AM

View PostTerez, on 23 December 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

Politico said:

Staffers in the Executive Office of the President were informed Tuesday that they "will start departing" on the week of Jan. 4, according to an email from the White House Management Office.

The memo, which was obtained by POLITICO, also included information pertaining to outgoing employees' payroll, benefits, sick leave, work records, ethics debriefing and security clearance.

Staffers were notified that they would receive a "comprehensive checklist" in the coming days and directed to "take inventory of your office space."

https://www.politico...ructions-450224

You just know they're going to remove the B from all the keyboards.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12154 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

Definitely gonna be a political football, and it will impact Jan. 5. To what degree, not sure. It is to be determined what end zone that football will be spiked in, but the Democrats have been really terrible at framing and getting a message behind these things to their benefit. We shall see. Hopefully it goes their way. I don't think $2,000 will happen though.

#12155 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 December 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

Definitely gonna be a political football, and it will impact Jan. 5. To what degree, not sure. It is to be determined what end zone that football will be spiked in, but the Democrats have been really terrible at framing and getting a message behind these things to their benefit. We shall see. Hopefully it goes their way. I don't think $2,000 will happen though.

'With [...]Trump pushing for the bigger checks despite Republican resistance, Loeffler was cornered into supporting the popular provision after the House passed a bill increasing the direct relief. [...]

Perdue quickly followed up, tweeting that Trump "is right" and that he supports "this push for $2,000 in direct relief." Both Democratic Senate candidates in Georgia have openly supported increasing the checks from $600 to $2,000 and have made the issue a central focus heading into next week's runoffs. At the same time, it should be noted that Perdue specifically opposed the first round of $1,200 relief checks and refused to answer questions about the $2,000 payments until Tuesday.

Despite Loeffler's and Perdue's endorsement, it's still unclear if McConnell will have the 12 Republicans necessary to pass the measure in the Senate.'

https://www.thedaily...unoffs?ref=home

Guessing they're pretty certain it won't pass the Senate.

https://www.thedaily...unoffs?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

#12156 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:40 PM

Still it’s all kinda scary. I mean I guess it’s the governments jobs an therefore the jobs of politicians but it’s certainly created a situation were politicians are basically promising money to people in exchange for votes. Unusual situation absolutely but it seems unethical. I almost feel like they should have to revise themselves or something.

#12157 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:48 PM

View PostCause, on 29 December 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

Still it’s all kinda scary. I mean I guess it’s the governments jobs an therefore the jobs of politicians but it’s certainly created a situation were politicians are basically promising money to people in exchange for votes. Unusual situation absolutely but it seems unethical. I almost feel like they should have to revise themselves or something.

It's incredibly common to appeal to a certain segment by offering policies that favour them in some way.

This time it just happens to be almost everyone, *shrug*.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#12158 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:37 PM

It’s not an uncommon occurrence but it’s not usually so direct, and so obviously politically charged.

#12159 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:22 AM

'Trump Bizarrely Declares the Georgia Runoff "Illegal and Invalid"

Trump is trying to convince his followers that the Senate special election in Georgia is “both illegal and invalid” because of a bizarre election conspiracy theory, a move that could spell trouble for the two Republicans hoping to win re-election on Jan. 5. In a series of tweets late Friday, [...] Republicans have expressed concern that Trump’s constant attacks on Georgia’s Republican governor and secretary of state, voter fraud conspiracy theories, and feuds with congressional Republicans will depress turnout among conservative voters'

https://www.thedaily...nvalid?ref=home

#12160 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:10 PM

Wacky week coming up for Trump. You guys think he keeps it low key, or nah, he gonna Trump? I believe I heard he has an "anti-Biden rally" planned for when the last, procedural, and ceremonial, step is finalized Wednesday.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users