• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12161 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:02 PM

'GOP Rep. Gohmert Says Violence Is Only Recourse After Election Lawsuit Dismissal

[...] "Basically, in effect, the ruling would be you've got to go to the streets and be as violent as Antifa and BLM," Gohmert added before being cut off by Newsmax host Emerald Robinson.

The comment came as pro-Trump attorney Lin Wood predicted Pence will "face execution by firing squad" for refusing to overturn the election– a comment that prompted even the Trump legal team to distance itself from Wood.'

https://www.forbes.c...sh=1f6c4eee66c0

Well, I'm glad Trump's legal team (at least) isn't 100% behind murdering---well, Pence, at least....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 January 2021 - 10:02 PM

#12162 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:03 PM

https://www.wonkette...rdery-on-parler

So, uh, yeah...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12163 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

'Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”

[...] “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”'

https://www.washingt...BDLV603HY_eKezE

#12164 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:08 AM

This is the lamest, most low-key and yet still outrageously publicized soft coup ever attempted.

The fact that so many Republicans are willing to play this sort of brinkmanship with our democracy is just awful. You only have your jobs because of fucking democracy you idiots! If too many people keep edging on that slippery slope everybody's going to fucking collapse in an avalanche!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12165 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:27 AM

They are all convinced that they will be the ones still standing. That it will all magically work out in their favour.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#12166 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

The problem is they will pretty much all get voted back into their seats no matter what the fuck they do or how blatantly they do it

#12167 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

I keep saying it, the world needs a league of Shadows that can take out corrupt politicians and dictators. If those of you who have Children start out now, you could probably have them trained for international assassination 15-20 years from now.

#12168 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 January 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

I keep saying it, the world needs a league of Shadows that can take out corrupt politicians and dictators. If those of you who have Children start out now, you could probably have them trained for international assassination 15-20 years from now.

You mean the US A paramilitary training program that led directly to narco states being established and regional instability + military juntas in South America and Africa, which was followed with a missile and drone strike program that has about 14,000 drone strikes alone and 16,000+ dead with at least 2,200 civilian casualties even going by the strictest definition of civilian?

Nah, I don't want.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12169 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:39 PM

View PostGarak, on 04 January 2021 - 10:27 AM, said:

They are all convinced that they will be the ones still standing. That it will all magically work out in their favour.

Each and every one of them has failed upwards their entire lives. Why should they believe anything different?

It's literally why there has to be negative repercussions for them. Will there be? No Joe Biden is too 'but they are nice to my face' of a guy to do anything about it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12170 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:03 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 January 2021 - 02:26 PM, said:

You mean the US A paramilitary training program that led directly to narco states being established and regional instability + military juntas in South America and Africa, which was followed with a missile and drone strike program that has about 14,000 drone strikes alone and 16,000+ dead with at least 2,200 civilian casualties even going by the strictest definition of civilian?

Nah, I don't want.

Don't be daft, that is obviously not what Apt meant, however crazy his suggestion is.

#12171 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

The CIA and analogues for it in other countries thinks they're the League of Shadows. The military thinks they're the righteous fist of justice. That's the whole point of my post.

Who gets to decide "corrupt" and "yes, go ahead and kill"? I pretty much don't think we should be killing anyone in anything other than a true final resort situation. And I'm not a pacifist beyond thinking that we should be doing all kinds of things before we start killing people.

The knock on effects of murdering people like this are really bad.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12172 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 04 January 2021 - 05:03 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 04 January 2021 - 02:26 PM, said:

Nah, I don't want.

Don't be daft, that is obviously not what Apt meant, however crazy his suggestion is.

Crazy like a fox you mean.

#12173 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Throwing up the antenna to get a feel from you political wonks about how you think tomorrow in Georgia will go. What do you think will happen? I was listening to Jon Ossoff being interviewed this morning and he is a bit too up his own ass for my liking, but how can he lose to a scumbag who enriched himself with insider information as the looming pandemic was about to hit?

#12174 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

Anyone else remember when they claimed that Trump was entitled to a third term in office because he was impeached?

#12175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

Here is the letter the Democrats sent to FBI director to investigate Trump for crimes during that phonecall recording.

https://lieu.house.g...02021-01-04.pdf

Whether anything happens while he's still in his lame duck is to be seen...but this will follow him out of office won't it? Like this is even more cut and dried from Nixon/Watergate isn't it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12176 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 January 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

Here is the letter the Democrats sent to FBI director to investigate Trump for crimes during that phonecall recording.

https://lieu.house.g...02021-01-04.pdf

Whether anything happens while he's still in his lame duck is to be seen...but this will follow him out of office won't it? Like this is even more cut and dried from Nixon/Watergate isn't it?

I doubt there will be any criminal charges on account of this. Certainly not if he gets Pence to pardon him on the 19th.

But I doubt people are going to forget.

#12177 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

He's not going to resign. He's facing too many state charges (including now in GA) to make it worth the humiliation.

The issue with federal charges is that they have to demonstrate that he knew he was doing something fraudulent, rather than just honestly believing there is election fraud that is being ignored. It's very difficult to pin most federal crimes on Trump for this reason. That said, in this case there is a real shot because he specifically asked Raffensperger for the exact number of votes he needed to win the state plus one. There are all sorts of other details that could be used to further the point, but that's a pretty strong one.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#12178 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

'[Former] top national security officials are now worried Trump could try to use the military to stay in power.

In an unprecedented critique of a sitting president, all of the 10 living former secretaries of defense—from five administrations, Democratic and Republican—have warned that the time for challenging the 2020 election results has passed, that ordering the U.S. armed forces to resolve disputes would be "dangerous, unlawful and unconstitutional," and that those who issue or execute such orders "would be accountable" and possibly face "criminal penalties" for "the grave consequences of their actions on our republic."

The statement, released Sunday night as a Washington Post op-ed, indicates that not only left-leaning conspiracy theorists but several top denizens of the national security establishment are concerned President Donald Trump might try to take drastic action—even military action'

https://slate.com/ne...p-military.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

#12179 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image

Appears to be 'Donald Trump Fans' on Instagram and not an official account, but still....

https://www.instagra...ump_2020/?hl=en

#12180 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:20 PM

When I grow up, I want to be like Gabriel Sterling. I'm sure he isn't about this public spotlight he's been in since he made a plea a month or so back for this to stop because of death threats, but damn he is calm under pressure. His latest response to the latest.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users