• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12121 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:34 PM

That drive by waving was just another in the daily examples of how horrible a human being Donald J. Trump is.

#12122 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:08 AM

Will we get another stimulus check won’t we? Who knows

However the question I find doesn’t get answered or even discussed enough is how will the us pay for these in the long run. If we get a second check of 600 dollars this dec/Jan how many future dollars will it cost us hypothetically? Will taxes go up? Will we retire two naval carriers? In the grand scheme of things is not that big a deal? I honestly don’t know.

#12123 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:42 AM

Gosh, I don't know. Maybe they could get the top 3% or so to pay something like their fair share of tax and solve the USA's debt crisis in one year?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12124 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:53 AM

The interest rates on the long term bonds being issued to finance the relief packages are negative once inflation is accounted for, so the the long term impact of the added debt should be small. The stimulus cheques are ridiculous. Many white collar workers are saving gobs of money working from home while many in tourism, retail and hospitality are unemployed. Targeted relief is what is needed, not blanketed hand outs to everyone.

#12125 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:35 PM

'White House aides reportedly had to intervene to stop President Donald Trump from issuing a public demand for $2,000 stimulus checks Thursday—a move they feared would blow up delicate relief-package negotiations.'

https://www.thedaily...report?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 December 2020 - 06:38 PM

#12126 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:29 PM

https://thehill.com/...tering-democrat

Well, that seems like a surprise.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 18 December 2020 - 09:30 PM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12127 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:49 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 18 December 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

https://thehill.com/...tering-democrat

Well, that seems like a surprise.

He's been on MSNBC (easily the most American-left) network for awhile now. He seems genuinely angry at the shift the Republican party has taken. I'm sure he'd say he didn't leave the party, the party left him.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12128 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:54 AM

I saw him quite some time back, must have been right around the time Trump was elected or soon after, on Real Time with Bill Maher. I guess the surprising thing is that he's registering as a Democrat.

#12129 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:00 AM

He publicly left the Republican Party a while back, maybe a couple of years, and that was not really surprising. He was on MSNBC all the way through Obama's second term iirc, maybe even part of the first term? He and Michael Steele (former RNC chairman) have always both been very comfortable at MSNBC, with occasional exceptions like Chris Matthews making Harlem Globetrotter jokes at Steele. (Big awk. Not gonna miss that punk at all.)

But Schmidt registering as a Democrat? I didn't think he would tbh. Part of the Lincoln Project brand is being Republicans Against Trump. Lincoln was the first Republican president. It's one thing to leave the party and still identify with it, but I didn't think he would go full Democrat.

My personal opinion on Steve Schmidt, for what it's worth, is that he's not incredibly smart.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#12130 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:01 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 December 2020 - 04:54 AM, said:

I saw him quite some time back, must have been right around the time Trump was elected or soon after, on Real Time with Bill Maher. I guess the surprising thing is that he's registering as a Democrat.

Schmidt: "You're either for us or against us!"
Republican hand-waver: "Only the Sith deal in absolutes!"
Schmidt: "I see through the lies of the Republicans! You're trying a soft coup!"
Republican hand-waver: "I love Democracy!"
Schmidt: "So this is how Democracy dies? To the thunderous chants of Lock him up?"

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12131 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

View PostTerez, on 19 December 2020 - 05:00 AM, said:

My personal opinion on Steve Schmidt, for what it's worth, is that he's not incredibly smart.

All of the Project Lincoln people are grifters. They're just doing a different grift than Trump.

Rick Wilson (co founder of Project Lincoln) is someone whose son and wife think the son making a hand painted confederate flag drinks cooler is hilarious and they put it up on social media.

They have changed a little, but what they're doing with the money donated to them isn't changing elections for the better. It's mostly going into their media consultant pockets.

George Conway will call out President Trump on Twitter, but his wife still works for the guy and supports Trump. He still does stuff that is anti-democratic.

We shouldn't pay that much attention to what these people tweet - we should be paying attention to what they do. And Schmidt is likely to keep voting for Republicans in general elections even if he's registering as a Democrat now.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 19 December 2020 - 02:49 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12132 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 December 2020 - 12:04 AM

'Trump Weighed Naming Election Conspiracy Theorist as Special Counsel

In a meeting, President Trump weighed appointing Sidney Powell, who promoted conspiracy theories about voting machines, to investigate voter fraud.

[...] It was unclear if Mr. Trump will move ahead with such a plan.

Most of his advisers opposed the idea, two of the people briefed on the discussion said, including Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president's personal lawyer. In recent days Mr. Giuliani has sought to have the Department of Homeland Security join the campaign's efforts to overturn Mr. Trump's loss in the election.

[...] Ms. Powell was at the White House for a meeting that became raucous and involved people shouting at each other at times [...]

During an appearance on the conservative Newsmax channel this week, Mr. Flynn pushed for Mr. Trump to impose martial law and deploy the military to "rerun" the election. At one point in the meeting on Friday, Mr. Trump asked about that idea.

Ms. Powell's ideas were shot down by every other Trump adviser present, all of whom repeatedly pointed out that she had yet to back up her claims with proof. At one point, one person briefed on the meeting said, she produced several affidavits, but upon inspection they were all signed by a man she has previously used as an expert witness, whose credentials have been called into question.

[...] Part of the White House meeting on Friday night was a discussion about an executive order to take control of voting machines to examine them'

https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

'White House Blocks a Statement Acknowledging Russia's Role in Cyberattack

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday night that Russia was "pretty clearly" behind a huge cyberattack on U.S. agencies that compromised sensitive information. But his commonsense conclusion pitted him against the president, who insisted on Saturday that it was only the "Fake News Media" blaming "Russia, Russia, Russia"—and the hack may have been the work of China. Now, CNN reports that officials at the White House were preparing to put out a statement on Friday that blamed Russia but others forced them to nix it. [...] Trump tweeted on Saturday that "everything is well under control" and the hack—which Bloomberg says hit more than 200 companies and government agencies—was no big deal.'

https://www.thedaily...attack?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 December 2020 - 12:05 AM

#12133 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:44 AM

https://twitter.com/...570118628696066

Oh wow. Are there anyone still in doubt whether the proud boys are racist?

PS: I don't know how to embed twitter.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12134 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:54 AM

Well, I really was hoping my Christmas wish of a quiet yuletide season would come true. Just a peaceful Christmas week and close out of 2020. Alas, I don't think so, seems as if Trump has still gotta Trump. Come on dude. Go to Mar-a-Lago and play golf. Come back after the new year with your whiny little bitch batteries re-energized. You need a break and so do we.

#12135 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 December 2020 - 01:41 AM

What did he do now?

#12136 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 December 2020 - 02:00 AM

Brought back in in attorney who was taken off team and Michael Flynn. In WH closed doors to talk about options regarding what can be done now about the election. Martial law anyone? Supposedly some heated blow up type scenario happened (denied by Trump of course) with people in his admin who still have some semblance of sanity left. I think even Rudy Guiliani may have been a voice of reason on this one.

And there is the Russian hacking thing, which I anticipate will continue to gain momentum. Trump says it was China, when all evidence leads to Russia.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 21 December 2020 - 02:00 AM

#12137 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 December 2020 - 04:52 AM

6 hundies! Not quite 12 but better than zero.

Will it pass?

#12138 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:33 AM

Eh?

#12139 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:02 AM

I think he's referring to the American stimulus package for corona-relief.

We really should have a refresh of the Discussion board rules, requiring people to provide context, preferably an article, before posting about a topic.

#12140 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:57 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 December 2020 - 08:02 AM, said:

I think he's referring to the American stimulus package for corona-relief.

We really should have a refresh of the Discussion board rules, requiring people to provide context, preferably an article, before posting about a topic.

I brought it up to Silencer and the admins a couple months ago, the decision at that time was that for now the rules/format are staying as-is (but he encouraged us to prune as much as necessary, so you might just be seeing things before a mod removes/unapproves them if they're low-effort contextless content or memes). (But then you get stuff like this where I want to prune the low-effort posts but then that makes yours have no context...)

This post has been edited by D'rek: 21 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google