The Winds of Winter A new chapter release Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 June 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

I'm really hoping for radically different outcomes for the show and book. As in Danerys wins a war vs. the Walkers, but dies, Littlefinger seizes everything, then is arrested and executed by Stannis, who becomes king in one path and in another path, Jon Snow kills the Walker King, becomes King, drives Danerys away from Westeros and she goes back to Valryia to be Queen of the East and a dragon breeder.

That way we get incessant debates about which one is "better" forever. 4EVA!

I approve of this.

I must admit, I've lost interest in ASoIaF as a work of fiction.

It still fascinates me as a cultural phenomenon (although I don't watch the show, as i've stopped watching TV about 7 Yrs ago).

I did buy adwd @ release. I'm not sure why I did, besides the fact it was available, and it was convenient, since the store was on my way from work.

But it's been so long since I've read the series, it doesn't carry any emotional weight with me anymore.

Still hope to see Dany fail in Westeros. Oh and see Cersei die painfully. But it's more of a reflexive dislike at this point.

Anyhow, I'd prefer the 2 diff endidngs solution. It will allow GRRM to be original, and the writers will get to make their own ending. More intellectual output-everyone wins!
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#62 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 October 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

I am absolutely gleeful over the possibility that the two could diverge extensively from one another. It's the best of both worlds - in my opinion.

Wholly and utterly agreed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#63 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostGeoffray, on 16 October 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Hi guys.

Last week i've met with the french illustrator Marc Simonneti, who give me some information about that ending crap of "GoT" (since he pass a week with Martin in July):
- Martin will exclusively work on TWOW. No interview, no work on the series, no convention. He'll be 100% on this.

Posted Image

#64 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

I firmly agree that a scenario with two endings completely divergent from one another is the outcome that would be the best scenario for both sides seeing as how it has progressed thus far. I sincerely hope however, that I get to see the literary ending GRRM intends and has intended from the start before the HBO ending; it's seeming more and more likely however, that to do so I will have to become a monk or a hermit in a cave in the Scottish Highlands, lancing the Internet and TV from my life and threatening all people who might possibly provide spoilers with a horribly painful and torturously slow death!
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#65 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

Why would you pick a Scottish highland cave when there are many other remote locations in far warmer climes?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#66 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

Because Scotland (and certain of its residents) be awesome.
meh. Link was dead :(

#67 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

Scotland and it's famous highlands represent the closest mountains to my current location, unless of course I set up shop on Mt. Snowdon but who really wants to go to Wales? Posted Image (I kid, I kid, I mean no offence to the Welsh, Scotland simply has a larger variety of mountain to choose from.)

As for why it must be a mountain in the first place, I simply couldn't tell you but whenever I say, write, hear or read the word hermit my brain immediately conjures images of a lonely mountain man living feral in a cave he shares with the local bear family - who I have been informed do not watch GoT - of course there are no local bears in bonny Scotland anymore Posted Image

I agree also that there are many awesome residents of Scotland, though the purposes of my retreat would be to avoid all human contact, so the people do not feature into my decision by their presence so much as by their absence Posted Image
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#68 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 16 October 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

- Martin will exclusively work on TWOW. No interview, no work on the series, no convention. He'll be 100% on this.

And NFL blogging. Thank the Seven.

One wondering I have: when Martin has spoken of show deviating from text historically, he's always been fairly defensive of the show and touted the fact that show world and book world are not the same (ie: Littlefinger deviations, scale of the Iron Throne, look/feel of the Eyrie, several other things come to mind...)

What if, in the increasingly likely event that the show beats GRRM to the ending, it's met with mass criticism and disappointment (hopefully not the case, just spitballing here)? Or what if it does end up deviating sharply from Martin's vision for the ending despite the "outline" he's given to B + W? Will be curious to see what sort of public posture Martin strikes then. The only thing that could possibly make the scenario of show beating books weirder than it'll already be is if Martin like... publicly denounces HBO and their conclusion of the series (though I'm guessing there's got to be some clause in the contract preventing him from doing so legally.)

At this point most show watchers are prob less aware of the differences since they dont follow with the books, without having the comparison it seems unreasonable that they would criticize the show's ending since thats all they have and dont know how it would end considering George most likely wont have the books finished by then. I don't think Martin will denounce the show for how they end the series its out of his hands at this point and he knows that. I think hes glad to have some of the pressure off his back and let someone else take the heat for finishing the plot. I don't know for sure but I would comfortable say that the show is more popular than the books at this point and its very possible the show ending could be more recognized than how GRRM finishes the books.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#69 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:13 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 October 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

Hi guys.

Last week i've met with the french illustrator Marc Simonneti, who give me some information about that ending crap of "GoT" (since he pass a week with Martin in July):

Posted Image

It's even made news here:

http://www.news.com....8-1227174911328

It'd be more understandable if it was a real sport. :)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 05 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#70 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

An interesting collection of all available info on TWoW so far.

It's interesting that compared to ADWD, even the wilderness years when GRRM was reluctant to say anything at all about the book, his updating for TWoW has been almost completely non-existent. We're now at two years since the last concrete update on the book's progress.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#71 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostWerthead, on 12 January 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

An interesting collection of all available info on TWoW so far.

It's interesting that compared to ADWD, even the wilderness years when GRRM was reluctant to say anything at all about the book, his updating for TWoW has been almost completely non-existent. We're now at two years since the last concrete update on the book's progress.

Is that terribly surprising, though? Half of what got him in trouble with ADWD was the delay; the other half were the updates that turned out to be almost universally inaccurate. I feel like I even recall seeing an interview or something from him shortly after ADWD where he more or less said he'd learned his lesson about trying to communicate progress and that he planned on staying almost completely silent on progress with TWoW.

In any case, thanks for sharing, Wert.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#72 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 13 January 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

...he planned on staying almost completely silent on progress with TWoW....

...or lack thereof.

:(

#73 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

Today's entirely non-shocker news.

http://www.theguardi...ter-publication
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#74 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostCajun King, on 30 January 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

Seriouisly I can care less about getting Dunk and Egg novellas, I have the GNs. So what this will be the 3rd time those are coming out right???

Seriously, this reads like an Onion article.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 30 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

#75 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:27 AM

The Onion is a satirical thing/comedic web collective publication. It's meant to make digs at everyone and everything.

Some of their pieces are brilliant, but if they went after Winds of Winter, it'd be more like "GRRM is done with the book, but is determined to wait until every last member of fan base apologizes, sits and rolls over for latest treat."
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#76 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 31 January 2015 - 02:27 AM, said:

Some of their pieces are brilliant, but if they went after Winds of Winter, it'd be more like "GRRM is done with the book, but is determined to wait until every last member of fan base apologizes, sits and rolls over for latest treat."

Well I giggled at that.

"The complexity is equal to two or three novels by other writers"???!

Um, Erikson called. Ten extremely complex books in twelve years says he wants that piss-poor excuse back.

Hardly surprising though, I would be surprised if the wait doesn't end up equalling the gap between Feast and Dance in the end.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#77 User is offline   Clawmaster 

• Recruit

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 31 January 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

"The complexity is equal to two or three novels by other writers"???!

Um, Erikson called. Ten extremely complex books in twelve years says he wants that piss-poor excuse back.

Hardly surprising though, I would be surprised if the wait doesn't end up equalling the gap between Feast and Dance in the end.

Yeah, I read this the other day and shook my head at that. GRRM is far from complex, especially compared to a lot of other writers in the fantasy genre.

#78 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

To be fair GRRM is waayy better at keeping his books free of inconsistencies than Erikson is. GRRM tends to go overboard making sure there are no mistakes, while Erikson doesn't seem to care. But still.

#79 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 26 October 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Scotland and it's famous highlands represent the closest mountains to my current location, unless of course I set up shop on Mt. Snowdon but who really wants to go to Wales? Posted Image (I kid, I kid, I mean no offence to the Welsh, Scotland simply has a larger variety of mountain to choose from.)

As for why it must be a mountain in the first place, I simply couldn't tell you but whenever I say, write, hear or read the word hermit my brain immediately conjures images of a lonely mountain man living feral in a cave he shares with the local bear family - who I have been informed do not watch GoT - of course there are no local bears in bonny Scotland anymore Posted Image

I agree also that there are many awesome residents of Scotland, though the purposes of my retreat would be to avoid all human contact, so the people do not feature into my decision by their presence so much as by their absence Posted Image

But beware the spiders. :(

#80 User is offline   Minttunator 

• Recruit

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

Personally, having been a huge fan of the first three books, I was slightly disappointed with AFFC and seriously disappointed with ADWD so I'm no longer that excited about the next one. The quality of the TV show has also declined, in my opinion - but I am happy about the fact that we'll find out how the story ends (more or less) in a couple of years instead of having to wait until 2022 or so for ADOS.

My prognosis for TWOW is that Martin will procrastinate for as long as he can, finish it in a hurry and the book will come out nearly unedited and end up sucking, as ADWD did (just my personal opinion). I'll be very happy if George proves me wrong, of course! :p

If we look at some of the recent statements, though, such as:
  • GRRM decided not to do a cameo for HBO's Game of Thrones Season 4 in order to finish writing The Winds of Winter
  • GRRM even went so far as to decline writing an episode for S05 of HBO's Game of Thrones to finish The Winds of Winter
Sounds good, right? Wrong! :p

I'm a procrastinator as well and saying things like that is classic procrastination. When I was working on my Bachelor's thesis (or, well, when I was supposed to be working on it), I did the exact same thing - I took everything else off my schedule (I'm supposed to be working, remember) and eventually just stayed at home faffing about and playing video games (whereas Martin's thing seems to be American throwball). I even read books on procrastination and how to defeat it - instead of, you know, actually getting stuff done! :p

Like I said, though - if the book comes out soon-ish and turns out to be the greatest fantasy novel since Memories of Ice, I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users