The Winds of Winter A new chapter release Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 June 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

Benioff and Weiss have already said that they know the ending, and aren't waiting for George to finish. With the kids involved they can't take even a LITTLE hiatus from the series.

In that regard the show will surpass the books probably next season (for some plotlines at least), and will also likely beat GRRM to the ending (barring a miracle). So book fans will know how it ends before they read it (as long as they watch the show)...and reading both the final books will be more about completionism and possibly little differences in the narrative than it will be about finding out what happens.

That's the stupidest Sh** I've ever heard lol all these years his books have been out Martin has refused countless offers for shows and movies and now he just gives up all the plot pieces and endings so the show can go on and surpass what he the og creater has not yet written. Da F***.

Why is it taking him so long to write these books? It took what? 7 years for DoD?

If I have hear about the ending through the show and not be able to read it in the book Martin will loss whatever confidence I have left in him at that point. At this point like you said it would take a miracle for the books to finish first, even with the writers knowing the ending they don't know everything thats gonna happen since it hasn't been written yet by George, so whats gonna happen? They just make it up themselves or is George gonna sit down and tell them every episode that needs to be done? I mean honestly how is that gonna work? Wouldn't it be easier to just write the book!
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostCapedCrusader, on 20 June 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Benioff and Weiss have already said that they know the ending, and aren't waiting for George to finish. With the kids involved they can't take even a LITTLE hiatus from the series.

In that regard the show will surpass the books probably next season (for some plotlines at least), and will also likely beat GRRM to the ending (barring a miracle). So book fans will know how it ends before they read it (as long as they watch the show)...and reading both the final books will be more about completionism and possibly little differences in the narrative than it will be about finding out what happens.

That's the stupidest Sh** I've ever heard lol all these years his books have been out Martin has refused countless offers for shows and movies and now he just gives up all the plot pieces and endings so the show can go on and surpass what he the og creater has not yet written. Da F***.

Why is it taking him so long to write these books? It took what? 7 years for DoD?

If I have hear about the ending through the show and not be able to read it in the book Martin will loss whatever confidence I have left in him at that point. At this point like you said it would take a miracle for the books to finish first, even with the writers knowing the ending they don't know everything thats gonna happen since it hasn't been written yet by George, so whats gonna happen? They just make it up themselves or is George gonna sit down and tell them every episode that needs to be done? I mean honestly how is that gonna work? Wouldn't it be easier to just write the book!

GRRM has apparently told them how it ends, they won't be making it up.

It's not remotely stupid, and Martin probably knew this would happen...the problem is that with a multiple-million dollar production on the line, they simply can't wait for Martin to finish, there is way too much money involved.

That said, if I get to know the ending in the next few years as opposed to in twenty years (waiting for the books) by seeing it on the show...that makes me very happy. I'll still read the books when they come out, but I won't be awaiting an ending for YEARS.

My two cents.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

When I first heard abouth the ending, I thought I'd give the show a pass and wait for Martin to finish the damned books.
But now that you mention it . . . it might take decades. Now, that demands unhuman patience. Therefore, Martin is the Elder God of Time!

#44 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

If I were an author and my ending got televised before I actually wrote it, I think that would make me less motivated to finish. Because fuck it, everyone already knows. Hope that doesn't happen here.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#45 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Might be the other way around. He might find the writing got harder the more people he knew were hanging on every word.

He has the rough outline and end in mind... Having B +w finish it and wrap up all those storylines that got away from him is a godsend, and hopefully will free him up to write the ending he always wanted, without the monumental pressure he must feel under now.

Creativity and writing is an organic thing to him; nothing stifles that more than a multitude of people telling him to hurry up already. Just my opinion mind.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostTraveller, on 20 June 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Might be the other way around. He might find the writing got harder the more people he knew were hanging on every word.

He has the rough outline and end in mind... Having B +w finish it and wrap up all those storylines that got away from him is a godsend, and hopefully will free him up to write the ending he always wanted, without the monumental pressure he must feel under now.

Creativity and writing is an organic thing to him; nothing stifles that more than a multitude of people telling him to hurry up already. Just my opinion mind.

That's a really good point. And with a team of writers doing each episode it could give him followthrough on stuff he gets hung up on in the books. In that vein we might see WoW and ADoS before we think?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

I think it might help him in the long run. By signing the show over to HBO he essentially not only bought editors to the material he'd already written, but a team of people dedicated to finish it too. Would it be wrong to suggest that he's been waiting for them to do it for him?

If the show runs with the main stuff, he could now concern himself with those more complex background storylines that are missing from the show, which would still be enough to sell the final books.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#48 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Regardless, it would piss me off.

I've never been one to say an author owes me this or that. I've never had a problem with long waits between books. I've always defended Martin in that regard. And I do acknowledge that it's his own story and he can do whatever he pleases with it. But it just doesn't feel right to me that I'm probably going to either have to watch the show or avoid the internet for several years in order to not have the ending of the series spoiled for me. And that just feels wrong. I started reading the books in ~2003 and I can't help but feel a little shafted by the newcomers.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#49 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

IMO Defiance, you should feel shafted by Martin, not by the newcomers. He knew this problem was going to happen as soon as he sold the rights. He doesn't want to change his writing habits. Which is his right of course. But that doesn't mean HBO have to film every filler material that appears in AFfC/DoD or film Dunk and Egg to give him spare time to finish. Clock was ticking the moment the contract was signed. Which was in 2008 or something?

#50 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostDefiance, on 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

I started reading the books in ~2003 and I can't help but feel a little shafted by the newcomers.

Silence Noob.

1996 Original hardback buyer checking in.

Seriously, it's coming on for TWENTY EFFING YEARS by the time book 6 comes out (if it arrives end 2015)

And before anyone starts with "Oh the Dark Tower took xxx number of years" Stephen King was churning out multiple other NEW books in the interim, not just editing and re-releasing older stuff.

I know that George r r Martin is not my bitch.

But neither am I his.

I'm making the same call i made for Robert Jordan after "the Path of Dragging"

I'll buy the rest of his books when he's finished the entire series, and i'll not spend a penny on any of his stuff in the meantime. I'll watch the show, and if it finishes before he does, well so be it.

Parenthetically, I never did go back to WoT, and I don't think I ever will.

This post has been edited by I Am Brian Blessed Not Brent Weeks: 20 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

meh. Link was dead :(

#51 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I'm really hoping for radically different outcomes for the show and book. As in Danerys wins a war vs. the Walkers, but dies, Littlefinger seizes everything, then is arrested and executed by Stannis, who becomes king in one path and in another path, Jon Snow kills the Walker King, becomes King, drives Danerys away from Westeros and she goes back to Valryia to be Queen of the East and a dragon breeder.

That way we get incessant debates about which one is "better" forever. 4EVA!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#52 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 20 June 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

IMO Defiance, you should feel shafted by Martin, not by the newcomers. He knew this problem was going to happen as soon as he sold the rights. He doesn't want to change his writing habits. Which is his right of course. But that doesn't mean HBO have to film every filler material that appears in AFfC/DoD or film Dunk and Egg to give him spare time to finish. Clock was ticking the moment the contract was signed. Which was in 2008 or something?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do. But there's still going to be some petty jealousy whenever my show-watching friends start talking about the ending.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 20 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#53 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 June 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

View PostCapedCrusader, on 20 June 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

GRRM has apparently told them how it ends, they won't be making it up.

It's not remotely stupid, and Martin probably knew this would happen...the problem is that with a multiple-million dollar production on the line, they simply can't wait for Martin to finish, there is way too much money involved.

That said, if I get to know the ending in the next few years as opposed to in twenty years (waiting for the books) by seeing it on the show...that makes me very happy. I'll still read the books when they come out, but I won't be awaiting an ending for YEARS.

My two cents.

Yes they know the ending, but do they know enough to write every episode before the ending? Since the show started they have had his books to base the episodes on but without new books it seems they will have to ask George what to write or they will just write what they think is good. So this is where I'm confused, will the HBO writers get to decide what where the show goes before it gets to the ending?
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#54 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

One thing I hadn't considered with the pace the show is setting: They are going to have Arya learn how to be an assassin awfully quick. Unfeasibly fast to be learning the poisons, how to fight, how to hide, how to stalk, how to not die, how to "act" and so on inside a year if Maisie isn't pushed to take a break for a year and then come back in the last year or two years.

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 June 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

One thing I hadn't considered with the pace the show is setting: They are going to have Arya learn how to be an assassin awfully quick. Unfeasibly fast to be learning the poisons, how to fight, how to hide, how to stalk, how to not die, how to "act" and so on inside a year if Maisie isn't pushed to take a break for a year and then come back in the last year or two years.

As long as they manufacture fake time jumps for everyone, they'll be fine. Like montaging Arya learning over fake time, would just mean events move forward a few fake months. The actors don't age, but the story is allowed a little more organic time for stuff to happen.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

#56 User is offline   Geoffray 

• Rory "The bloody last Centurion" Williams

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi guys.

Last week i've met with the french illustrator Marc Simonneti, who give me some information about that ending crap of "GoT" (since he pass a week with Martin in July):
- Martin told some information to B and W. But not all the ending. The fact that the series start to diverge massively from what is written could be an indication of the road take by the series.
- Knowning the TV entertainment middle, Martin is not surprise of the "crap" (my word) that HBO give. There's good things, and other things not so good.
- Martin will exclusively work on TWOW. No interview, no work on the series, no convention. He'll be 100% on this.

That's all :).
Sorry for my english ;), I'm french :P

I've came with a message and a question. A message from The Doctor and a question from me. Where Is My Wife?!

Rory "God himself" Williams

#57 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

View PostGeoffray, on 16 October 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

- Martin will exclusively work on TWOW. No interview, no work on the series, no convention. He'll be 100% on this.

And NFL blogging. Thank the Seven.

One wondering I have: when Martin has spoken of show deviating from text historically, he's always been fairly defensive of the show and touted the fact that show world and book world are not the same (ie: Littlefinger deviations, scale of the Iron Throne, look/feel of the Eyrie, several other things come to mind...)

What if, in the increasingly likely event that the show beats GRRM to the ending, it's met with mass criticism and disappointment (hopefully not the case, just spitballing here)? Or what if it does end up deviating sharply from Martin's vision for the ending despite the "outline" he's given to B + W? Will be curious to see what sort of public posture Martin strikes then. The only thing that could possibly make the scenario of show beating books weirder than it'll already be is if Martin like... publicly denounces HBO and their conclusion of the series (though I'm guessing there's got to be some clause in the contract preventing him from doing so legally.)

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#58 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

I am absolutely gleeful over the possibility that the two could diverge extensively from one another. It's the best of both worlds - in my opinion.

#59 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Agreed. I'd love it if the show got the happy(ish) ending everyone's predicting and the books went nuclear on everybody.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#60 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

I don't often post on the forums, but when I do, I agree with worry and amph.

Posted Image

Still, I can see a world where GRRM starts to get his panties in a wad as the show deviates from text he hasn't even written. I guess I'm mostly curious about what that will look like in the public sphere.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users