• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2022 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2022 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2022 - 05:15 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 September 2022 - 05:03 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2022 - 03:31 PM, said:

On the one hand i'm all for him branching away from the show if only to tell a different story.
On the other yah who is he kidding, we're not seeing this book before he dies and someone who can deliver takes over.

Sanderson is pretty busy... I wonder if SE could take over??

So none of that can happen.

GRRM has it apparently written into his will that if it's not done and he passes way, that no one is to complete it, and the originals are to all be destroyed.

And I can't fault him that. No one with a masterwork like this would want someone else to finish it. I think Sanderson finishing Jordan's work on WOT was an outlier, not the norm. Pratchett also had his hard drive run over by steamroller written into his will so no more Discworld/partial stuff could be "finished" and released.

Oh and Sanderson's Mormon head would explode the first time someone visits a brothel in the ASOIAF narrative. I'm actually convinced Brando has never even READ ASOIAF because it goes so hard against his religion...LOL

The Will thing was a reference to a comment he once made. It's not true:
https://www.reddit.c...th_that_george/

Fair bet some combination of Abraham and/or Franck would be tapped to do it, despite their denials (same link), because money.

Huh. I've read it in so many places I assumed it was true. My bad.

I still think that TWOW will come out in the next few years, and with it out of his way, ADOS will come faster to him as I feel like TWOW has been his most challenging time on the series. Like I think this book has just been his writers block...he cooked out AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS in what? 6 years total? Then AFFC grew too big over the next 5 years, so he split it by POV and then started revising what becomes ADWD too much and it took further 6 years...now he's essentially writing the run-up to the finale....so he's perfecting it. I don't feel we would see the same wait for ADOS....but it DOES sound like he will palate-cleanse after TWOW and finish the second volume of FIRE & BLOOD before ADOS starts.

Also, the length sounds like it's north of 500k pages and as such I could see Bantam wanting to split it into Vol 1 and Vol 2 six months apart release-wise, and that gives him more time to work on F&B 2 and ADOS.

I think it's doable. I mean the guy is 74, but he's not dying or anything either, nor do I think there is anything medically wrong with him. He's a bit overweight, but stats are on his side there (People who start adulthood with a body mass index (BMI) in the normal range and move later in life to being overweight - but never obese - tend to live the longest, a new study suggests. Adults in this category lived longer than even those whose BMI stayed in the normal range throughout their life.) Young GRRM was on the normal side of his BMI and didn't gain weight until his later years.

But now he looks like he's obese, not simply 'overweight'....

#162 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:15 PM

He's only 5 foot 6 and has a massive belly. Since BMI goes by height, I'd wager he's obese. (Granted, that's probably not a fair measure for someone with a wider skeletal frame....)

#163 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:16 PM

I don't think it is an age thing, it is an interest thing. I think he's just gone off it and he is pursuing other stuff now. He's happily written the prequel stuff, delving into that material, doing some sci-fi, some panel interviews, and riding along on that. I have no hope whatsoever that he has any desire or compulsion to return to the song of ice and fire. The story has been provided with a (albeit absolutely horrible) ending through the tv show and everyone has moved on, including GRRM.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#164 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:27 PM

View PostGorefest, on 21 September 2022 - 07:16 PM, said:

I don't think it is an age thing, it is an interest thing. I think he's just gone off it and he is pursuing other stuff now.

Aside from editing stuff like WILD CARDS....almost all of his content is still ASOIAF based. I don't see him as "pursuing other stuff" at all.

View PostGorefest, on 21 September 2022 - 07:16 PM, said:

I have no hope whatsoever that he has any desire or compulsion to return to the song of ice and fire. The story has been provided with a (albeit absolutely horrible) ending through the tv show and everyone has moved on, including GRRM.

I would argue that's not the case at all. His updates, especially the ones over the last year or so have been very positive and the fact that he's completed a second of the three major character POVs arcs in the book is a sign that the end is likely in sight for this one.

If he'd lost interest, he'd just bail out...you're not the first person I've seen say this, but I really don't get that vibe at all and I think it's more us as the audience (or potential audience at any rate) have tried to explain away an 11 year wait that seems to make little sense...when Occam's razor really just has it down as "writers block", a deeply complex story, and the guy is a perfectionist.

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 September 2022 - 07:10 PM, said:

But now he looks like he's obese, not simply 'overweight'....

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 September 2022 - 07:15 PM, said:

He's only 5 foot 6 and has a massive belly. Since BMI goes by height, I'd wager he's obese. (Granted, that's probably not a fair measure for someone with a wider skeletal frame....)

In his most recent video, where he was getting over covid earlier in the summer...he doesn't look obese at all. He just looks overweight. You can tell by looking at his arms in the video, they are standard size, not the type of arms you see in obesity. Obesity is also not just a big belly...it's everywhere Arms, legs, everywhere is "fat" when you suffer from obesity.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2022 - 07:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#165 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2022 - 07:27 PM, said:

In his most recent video, where he was getting over covid earlier in the summer...he doesn't look obese at all. He just looks overweight. You can tell by looking at his arms in the video, they are standard size, not the type of arms you see in obesity. Obesity is also not just a big belly...it's everywhere Arms, legs, everywhere is "fat" when you suffer from obesity.

1. It's common for people to temporarily lose weight when they're sick. Don't expect that to last.

2. Obesity is measured by BMI. That's the 'obesity' that mortality statistics are (usually) based on.

3. Do you have an actual scientific source for your claim that obese people are necessarily (or at least almost always) 'fat' everywhere (with some obvious exceptions---nose, ears, fingernails, hair, eyeballs, etc.)? Or that obese people always have fat arms? You may also be confusing obesity with morbid obesity.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 September 2022 - 08:28 PM

#166 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:55 PM

There's no reason to be scrutinizing his body like this at all. Come on now.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#167 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:08 AM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 21 September 2022 - 08:55 PM, said:

There's no reason to be scrutinizing his body like this at all. Come on now.

Absolutely you’re right. We should not be. My overall point was “the guy is not on his deathbed” and is only 74, but apparently that turned into talking about how fat he is or isn’t for some people.

Azath just wants to argue like usual. Which I suppose is better than just posting links and little italicized snippets of the links completely out of context.

Yeah, that’s right, I woke up and chose violence.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 September 2022 - 02:08 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#168 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:47 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2022 - 07:27 PM, said:

I would argue that's not the case at all. His updates, especially the ones over the last year or so have been very positive and the fact that he's completed a second of the three major character POVs arcs in the book is a sign that the end is likely in sight for this one.

If he'd lost interest, he'd just bail out...you're not the first person I've seen say this, but I really don't get that vibe at all and I think it's more us as the audience (or potential audience at any rate) have tried to explain away an 11 year wait that seems to make little sense...when Occam's razor really just has it down as "writers block", a deeply complex story, and the guy is a perfectionist.

C'mon, he'll get part way through the third story arc and decide that something he wants to do with it will require rewriting the first two.

Not that I'll bother reading it if he does finish anyway.

#169 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:57 AM

I have been in the camp of "If it ever arrives, I'll read it via the chapter summaries on ASOIAF Wiki at most". I'd love him to finish for the people who are still invested in the story, and for himself. I've been turned off the books for number of years now though and would need to re-read them all to have a clue what was happening in any new release. And last time I tried to do that, I dragged myself to the Red Wedding and then couldn't stomach any more. It's a shame because I remember really loving them when I first read them.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#170 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 September 2022 - 01:22 PM

For about 11 years now, GRRM's been putzing around quite happily on many projects. He's been fairly consistent in adding more projects to what he's doing rather than taking things off.

I don't think that's going to change, especially since he is already quite wealthy and never actually needs to work again. It's been 11+ years of that and he's content doing this, even if the unfinished book is a constant pain.

I theorize that when he finishes this current book he's writing, he'll realize he needs two more to finish out the story at the pace/level he's happy with. I also theorize that he will not finish these books before he passes away (hopefully after many,any years of happiness).

There's a cautious hope that he'll finish, but I really don't think that his current posts/talk about what's happening and his track record for the last decade plus supports it very well.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#171 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 01:56 PM

Barring something health related, i expect that he'll finish WINDS. Anyone's guess when, but i do think he'll reach an end point for that book.

Am less optimistic about DANCE and the other three novels he's denied will follow it. Honestly he needs a couple of ghost writers. ...by 'couple' i mean six.

No hate from me, after decades of working his butt off in tv and writing SIF took him - around age 60 - to a level of fame and fortune where he could easily never work another day in his life, and then the TV show amped it up a few more zeroes. The man is 74, if he tossed his keyboard out the window and decided to spend the remainder of his life eating fancy cheese and arguing about US football i couldn't blame him.

I will read WINDS whenever it appears, but w suitably low expectations after FEAST and DANCE, neither of which i loved but were not dire enough to make me drop the series.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#172 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal

Posted 09 December 2022 - 12:51 PM

Omg have you guys not given up on this yet? I for one am not going to bother.
Waited decades on these books... not giving GRRM any more of my money lol

#173 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

I heard it's almost done.

#174 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal

Posted 14 December 2022 - 03:15 PM

View Postworry, on 09 December 2022 - 01:17 PM, said:

Wonderful... still not buying it or anything else by GRRM

Jah

#175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 December 2022 - 03:19 PM

View PostJahdu, on 14 December 2022 - 03:15 PM, said:

Jah

I mean cool story bro, but I fail to see why you came on the thread about the work to tell us you're explicitly NOT buying it...super weird dawg.

#176 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal

Posted 14 December 2022 - 03:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 December 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

View PostJahdu, on 14 December 2022 - 03:15 PM, said:

Jah

I mean cool story bro, but I fail to see why you came on the thread about the work to tell us you're explicitly NOT buying it...super weird dawg.

Omg, I can't even vent in peace... dawg...

#177 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal

Posted 14 December 2022 - 03:35 PM

And all the other people on the thread who said they won't be reading it, are they super weird too or was that just reserved for me... dawg

#178 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 December 2022 - 03:40 PM

I can confirm that they are weirdos, but it's unrelated to GRRM.

#179 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 December 2022 - 03:44 PM

I blame Patrick Rothfuss.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#180 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal