Malazan Empire: The Winds of Winter - Malazan Empire

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

The Winds of Winter A new chapter release Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

I haven't acually read Narnia except the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I am not really into inter-reality world transfer trope based fantasy and I found the premise that 10-14 year olds would lead and fight an epic battle a bit silly. Could you summarise what Lewis did in The Last Battle? I have pretty much ignored his writings

#122 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

Sure.
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#123 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

View Postworry, on 30 March 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Sure.
Spoiler

Oh damn, ok, so now the summary I read for the last Narnia movie makes more sense. He had a virginal hangup

This post has been edited by Andorion: 30 March 2015 - 05:21 AM

#124 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostAndorion, on 30 March 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 30 March 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Sure.
Spoiler

Oh damn, ok, so now the summary I read for the last Narnia movie makes more sense. He had a virginal hangup

Oh my word! I only ever read the first three Narnia books so missed that. Ouch!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#125 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:38 AM

I wish I could say it was more complicated than that (some apologists, quite unsuccessfully, have attempted to), but it's basically an offhanded "by the way..." in the end of the final book.

#126 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

View Postamphibian, on 30 March 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 30 March 2015 - 02:15 AM, said:

And as for the Tolkien comments, I am sick and tired of everybody taking on Tolkien. How seriously would we take it if Ferrari said now in 2015, "We can make a far better car than the Model T"? And as stated upthread, an attempt to at least stay somewhat familiar with the Tolkien Canon would have been nice.

Nah. Tolkien doesn't get a pass on his exclusionist legacy/clunky prose and occasional dead/not dead hijinks with the characters for writing his books in the early 20th century.

For more serious talk on Tolkien, see this nearly 3 year old thread: http://forum.malazan...ction-and-race/

One last note: I really miss Terez as a full time forumite.

Thank you for the link, that made interesting reading.

Dead/not dead - I can only think of Gandalf, who was an immortal spirit. It makes sense in Tolkien's canon, but the more I think about it I concede that doesn't necessarily change personal opinion on whether it makes good storytelling.

I don't think he should get a pass, as such, but at the same time as recognising the problematic elements (by our modern standards) , I do think the context of the time of writing can be taken into account too.

Some food for thought for me, although I still think Martin's an arse

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#127 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

View Postworry, on 30 March 2015 - 05:38 AM, said:

I wish I could say it was more complicated than that (some apologists, quite unsuccessfully, have attempted to), but it's basically an offhanded "by the way..." in the end of the final book.

Yeah, it's pretty horrific.

Come to think of it, Narnia might be the only series I can think of where the middle books (I'm talking publication order here, not the newfangled chronological/recommended reading order) by and large are better (IMO) than the early and late books. My favorite installments in the series (DAWN TREADER, SILVER CHAIR, HORSE AND HIS BOY...) are the ones that have the least to do with the Pevensie kids and the broader arc... but I guess there really isn't much of a "broader arc" in the first place and each installment stands on its own, so my characterization is way off.

All that said, holy shit, want to talk about poor adaptations--those Narnia moves are absolutely abysmal. I almost wept when I saw what they'd done to DAWN TREADER--that was one of my absolute favorite books as a kid and arguably one of the top 5 worst films I think I've seen.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#128 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 March 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

And my last opinion: I think he should take an extra book to finish - especially after the introduction of Griff & Co.

This is the best idea since Griffball!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#129 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Regarding Tolkien...wut. GRRM has said several times that he's a massive Tolkien fan. With his comments on Gandalf and the taxing system, he just said that if he were telling the story, he would do it differently. Not that there's a right or wrong way.

#130 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostMaark, on 30 March 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 29 March 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

And my last opinion: I think he should take an extra book to finish - especially after the introduction of Griff & Co.

This is the best idea since Griffball!

So seven more books instead of six?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#131 User is offline   Geoffray 

• Rory "The bloody last Centurion" Williams

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

New chapter boys and girl. And he's golden ^^:

http://www.georgerrm...inds-of-winter/

This post has been edited by Geoffray: 02 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

Sorry for my english ;), I'm french :P

I've came with a message and a question. A message from The Doctor and a question from me. Where Is My Wife?!

Rory "God himself" Williams

#132 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

Urg...Really George? A Sansa Chapter?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#133 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

Sansa rules. Not that I'm gonna read it.

#134 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

Apparently this chapter has been confirmed as the rumored Sansa chapter that would prove to be "quite controversial" and something of a gamechanger, at least as shipped by what's-his-face the Westeros admin guy who was in on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE and apparently read this chapter some months ago. I guess that means we're playing VERY fast and loose with the definition of controversial these days, since...

Spoiler

ALTHOUGH...

IIRC (and I may not), the DANCE chapter where Jon beheads Slynt (one of the best Jon chapters in ADwD, IMO) was posted as a sample chapter on GRRM's site for a long time before release, but in the sample chapter version, didn't it end before the actual beheading? I might be completely misremembering that, but if I'm not, I wonder if that was intentional or if events just got shuffled a bit between chapters in the final cut.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#135 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

Oh christ. Sansa chapters make me want to press my face into an angle grinder.

#136 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 03 April 2015 - 04:08 AM, said:

Apparently this chapter has been confirmed as the rumored Sansa chapter that would prove to be "quite controversial" and something of a gamechanger, at least as shipped by what's-his-face the Westeros admin guy who was in on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE and apparently read this chapter some months ago. I guess that means we're playing VERY fast and loose with the definition of controversial these days, since...

Spoiler

ALTHOUGH...

IIRC (and I may not), the DANCE chapter where Jon beheads Slynt (one of the best Jon chapters in ADwD, IMO) was posted as a sample chapter on GRRM's site for a long time before release, but in the sample chapter version, didn't it end before the actual beheading? I might be completely misremembering that, but if I'm not, I wonder if that was intentional or if events just got shuffled a bit between chapters in the final cut.

I take it the controversial chapter isn't the same as the controversial "hard to watch" event in the series coming up then?

Underwhelming controversy aside, it's a good chapter I think.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#137 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 03 April 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

Spoiler

ALTHOUGH...

I take it the controversial chapter isn't the same as the controversial "hard to watch" event in the series coming up then?

Remind me which bit is supposed to be hard to watch that's upcoming? Being a Mallie veteran, I do wonder if it'll actually be a toughie or not.

#138 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

Spoiler

ALTHOUGH...

Remind me which bit is supposed to be hard to watch that's upcoming? Being a Mallie veteran, I do wonder if it'll actually be a toughie or not.

Nothing specific, just Sophie Turner (actress playing Sansa) said there's a scene for her in the next series that's pretty controversial and even the crew had a hard time watcing it.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#139 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 03 April 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

Spoiler

ALTHOUGH...

Nothing specific, just Sophie Turner (actress playing Sansa) said there's a scene for her in the next series that's pretty controversial and even the crew had a hard time watcing it.

If Sansa does anything beyond pout and whine then I'll put ketchup on my hat and eat it. I very much enjoy ASOIAF and the GOT series, but any segment with Sansa in either is such a slog.

#140 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

If Sansa does anything beyond pout and whine then I'll put ketchup on my hat and eat it. I very much enjoy ASOIAF and the GOT series, but any segment with Sansa in either is such a slog.

That's me too. Goddamn Sansa chapters are just so MOR.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users