The Winds of Winter A new chapter release Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 April 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostMaark, on 03 April 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

If Sansa does anything beyond pout and whine then I'll put ketchup on my hat and eat it. I very much enjoy ASOIAF and the GOT series, but any segment with Sansa in either is such a slog.

That's me too. Goddamn Sansa chapters are just so MOR.

They're beyond MOR... I would sooner get my face hit by a 720c (followed by the obligatory 22d into 360a) than have to willingly read more of her interminable bawbagging. She's like Shinji but without any redeeming qualities. Bloody southerner.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#142 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

Eh, I thought Sansa had some of the best chapters in AFfC (not that that's saying much). I mean, Littlefinger was in them.

Still not going to read this chapter.

#143 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 03 April 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Eh, I thought Sansa had some of the best chapters in AFfC (not that that's saying much). I mean, Littlefinger was in them.

Still not going to read this chapter.

Littlefinger.

That name... just makes me think of the doctors. Oh good lord.

#144 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

I have no problem with GRRM taking as long as he wants to finish the series. Its his series after all and the man has a life. GRRM is not our bitch as Gaiman correctly said. It sometimes seems like people have stopped their entire lifes while waiting for the next installment from the tone of some of the commentary. Coversely however, GRRM has no leg to stand on with his transpararent attempts to delay the Tv show in order to give himself more time to finish it. (Multiple seasons on FFC/DOD, Robert's rebellion interval season, Movie final season which would require several years of production etc). He sold his rights ages ago, made a nice bucket of money out of the show (I assume) and so HBO/the tv viewers are not his bitches either. Though I have no major hangup on the endings been different. But in the context of the books only, he can be as slow as he wants as its his life. I certainly would not want to be working as hard as Erikson seemingly was when I'm GRRM's age.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 08 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

#145 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2015 - 03:51 AM, said:

I don't read chapters to stay spoiler free. When they upcoming series are they talking about S5 or S6? I was thinking S5 would be last safe season for bk readers to watch.

Not entirly safe probably, but thats my impression on S5 too. GRRM has got one year, then the tables will turn on all those trolls who spoiled all the surprises for the TV viewers.
Tick Tock.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 08 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

#146 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

I don't read chapters to stay spoiler free. When they upcoming series are they talking about S5 or S6? I was thinking S5 would be last safe season for bk readers to watch.

From what I've gleaned, S5 is largely unsafe for readers. I mean there are elements we know from AFFC/ADWD, but speaking from a filmic narrative standpoint I bet a number of plot points and things we know nothing about yet have been added in to make them make sense later on. I fear there is going to be more than one death (for example) that we book readers know nothing about this coming season.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#147 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 April 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

From what I've gleaned, S5 is largely unsafe for readers. I mean there are elements we know from AFFC/ADWD, but speaking from a filmic narrative standpoint I bet a number of plot points and things we know nothing about yet have been added in to make them make sense later on. I fear there is going to be more than one death (for example) that we book readers know nothing about this coming season.

Yeah, if you're planning on boycotting the show until the series is done to prevent the show from spoiling the books, I would say now's the time to start.

I considered this, but between my complete lack of self-discipline and the fact that I really think it's unfeasible that I could make it to A DREAM OF SPRING (5-10 years from now) without running into show spoilers on the Internet somewhere, I'm just pressing on with the show.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#148 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 08 April 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'm just pressing on with the show.

The show will be my canon going forward. I'll eventually read the books when they come out...but the show is what I'll be excited about.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#149 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 April 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Yeah, if you're planning on boycotting the show until the series is done to prevent the show from spoiling the books, I would say now's the time to start.

I considered this, but between my complete lack of self-discipline and the fact that I really think it's unfeasible that I could make it to A DREAM OF SPRING (5-10 years from now) without running into show spoilers on the Internet somewhere, I'm just pressing on with the show.

Same here. It will be nice to read the books and pick up on the extra info Martin writes, but I'm disappointed that I won't be able to read the ending first.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#150 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 April 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

The show will be my canon going forward

Mine will be on the hill and will go BANG.

#151 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

Not sure it's post-worthy and likely old news to anyone that's checking this thread, but the buzz over these last few days seems to be that some Polish translator went public saying he'd been tapped to hold time late this year to translate TWoW. How reliable this is is a matter of speculation, as is whether or not it's a truly solid indicator of release date.

Of course, as with everything GRRM these days, dozens of media outlets have latched onto this and are running it with "WINDS OF WINTER IS 40 SECONDS AWAY!!!!" type headlines to generate clickbait.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#152 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 08 April 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

.... GRRM has got one year, then the tables will turn on all those trolls who spoiled all the surprises for the TV viewers.
Tick Tock.

I can't begin to explain how funny i find this.

I look forward to the tv equivalent of the Red Wedding and all the bookfan rage.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#153 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 April 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'm just pressing on with the show.

The show will be my canon going forward. I'll eventually read the books when they come out...but the show is what I'll be excited about.

Update from this (7, almost 8 years later):

No, no it will not QT. You tried to predict the future and S7 and 8 proved you very wrong, and showed you that GRRM writes meaty, quality books that you enjoy and can be adapted, and D&D without further sourcing material wrote fan fiction that largely failed.

Also, I dunno if anyone posted this content from GRRM's blog in early summer. I've bolded the relevant bits....Which means the books will be my canon going forward, not the show.

I was bullish about this for so long as I was annoyed that this one was taking so long...I've since softened on that stance....anyways...

Which brings me to THE WINDS OF WINTER.

Most of you know by now that I do not like to give detailed updates on WINDS. I am working on it, I have been working on it, I will continue to work on it. (Yes, I work on other things as well). I love nothing more than to surprise my readers with twists and turns they did not see coming, and I risk losing those moments if I go into too much detail. Spoilers, you know. Even saying that I am working on a Tyrion chapter, as I did last week, gives away the fact that Tyrion is not dead. Reading sample chapters at cons, or posting them on line, which I did for years, gives away even more. I actually quite enjoyed doing that, until the day came that I realized I had read and/or posted the first couple of hundred pages of WINDS, or thereabouts. If I had kept on with the readings, half the book might be out by now.

So I am not going to give you all any kind of detailed report on the book, but…

I will say this.

I have been at work in my winter garden. Things are growing… and changing, as does happen with us gardeners. Things twist, things change, new ideas come to me (thank you, muse), old ideas prove unworkable, I write, I rewrite, I restructure, I rip everything apart and rewrite again, I go through doors that lead nowhere, and doors that open on marvels.

Sounds mad, I know. But it’s how I write. Always has been. Always will be. For good or ill.

What I have noticed more and more of late, however, is my gardening is taking me further and further away from the television series. Yes, some of the things you saw on HBO in GAME OF THRONES you will also see in THE WINDS OF WINTER (though maybe not in quite the same ways)… but much of the rest will be quite different.

And really, when you think about it, this was inevitable. The novels are much bigger and much much more complex than the series. Certain things that happened on HBO will not happen in the books. And vice versa. I have viewpoint characters in the books never seen on the show: Victarion Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Areo Hotah, Jon Connington, Aeron Damphair They will all have chapters, and the things they do and say will impact the story and the major characters who were on the show. I have legions of secondary characters, not POVs but nonetheless important to the plot, who also figure in the story: Lady Stoneheart, Young Griff, the Tattered Prince, Penny, Brown Ben Plumm, the Shavepate, Marwyn the Mage, Darkstar, Jeyne Westerling. Some characters you saw in the show are quite different than the versions in the novels. Yarra Greyjoy is not Asha Greyjoy, and HBO’s Euron Greyjoy is way, way, way, way different from mine. Quaithe still has a part to play. So does Rickon Stark. And poor Jeyne Poole. And… well, the list is long. (And all this is part of why WINDS is taking so long. This is hard, guys).

Oh, and there will be new characters as well. No new viewpoints, I promise you that, but with all these journeys and battles and scheming to come, inevitably our major players will be encountering new people in lands far and near.

One thing I can say, in general enough terms that I will not be spoiling anything: not all of the characters who survived until the end of GAME OF THRONES will survive until the end of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, and not all of the characters who died on GAME OF THRONES will die in A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. (Some will, sure. Of course. Maybe most. But definitely not all) ((Of course, I could change my mind again next week, with the next chapter I write. That’s gardening)).

And the ending? You will need to wait until I get there. Some things will be the same. A lot will not.

No doubt, once I am done, there will be huge debate about which version of the story is better. Some people will like my book, others will prefer the television show. And that’s fine, you pays your money and your makes your choice. (I do fear that a certain proportion of fans are so angry about how long WINDS has taken me that they are prepared to hate the book, unread. That saddens me, but there nothing I can do about it, but write the best book that I can, and hope that when it comes out most fans will read it with clean hands and an open mind).

That’s all I can tell you right now. I need to get back to the garden. Tyrion is waiting for me.

#154 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:08 PM

I still can't bring myself to care or actually believe that this series will ever finish. Even if WoW comes out in the next year I doubt I'll read it.

And that's not just because of the show. I just don't care about the books any more. ADwD was utterly boring tripe. So not worth the wait.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#155 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:12 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 September 2022 - 02:08 PM, said:

I still can't bring myself to care or actually believe that this series will ever finish. Even if WoW comes out in the next year I doubt I'll read it.

And that's not just because of the show. I just don't care about the books any more. ADwD was utterly boring tripe. So not worth the wait.

See, I think the problem with ADWD is that it was AFFC split by POV (and not down the middle) due to its size (a thing GRRM admits was mistake)...so the portions of it that run parallel with AFFC are largely plodding where not much seems to happen..but the last 300-400 pages (which were new/beyond AFFC plots) were and excellent thrill ride that felt at LEAST like ACOK, if not full tilt ASOS....so I feel like AFFC/ADWD was just an anomaly.

But I can still see your POV and your lack of desire to read on in the series. I once felt like you, but I've softened a lot on that front (HOTD has also rekindled my enjoyment of the world after being burned by S7 and 8 and no TWOW out yet....).

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2022 - 02:12 PM

#156 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:31 PM

On the one hand i'm all for him branching away from the show if only to tell a different story.
On the other yah who is he kidding, we're not seeing this book before he dies and someone who can deliver takes over.

#157 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 September 2022 - 05:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2022 - 03:31 PM, said:

On the one hand i'm all for him branching away from the show if only to tell a different story.
On the other yah who is he kidding, we're not seeing this book before he dies and someone who can deliver takes over.

Sanderson is pretty busy... I wonder if SE could take over??
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#158 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2022 - 05:15 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 September 2022 - 05:03 PM, said:

So none of that can happen.

GRRM has it apparently written into his will that if it's not done and he passes way, that no one is to complete it, and the originals are to all be destroyed.

And I can't fault him that. No one with a masterwork like this would want someone else to finish it. I think Sanderson finishing Jordan's work on WOT was an outlier, not the norm. Pratchett also had his hard drive run over by steamroller written into his will so no more Discworld/partial stuff could be "finished" and released.

Oh and Sanderson's Mormon head would explode the first time someone visits a brothel in the ASOIAF narrative. I'm actually convinced Brando has never even READ ASOIAF because it goes so hard against his religion...LOL

#159 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 September 2022 - 06:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2022 - 05:15 PM, said:

GRRM has it apparently written into his will that if it's not done and he passes way, that no one is to complete it, and the originals are to all be destroyed.

And I can't fault him that. No one with a masterwork like this would want someone else to finish it. I think Sanderson finishing Jordan's work on WOT was an outlier, not the norm. Pratchett also had his hard drive run over by steamroller written into his will so no more Discworld/partial stuff could be "finished" and released.

Oh and Sanderson's Mormon head would explode the first time someone visits a brothel in the ASOIAF narrative. I'm actually convinced Brando has never even READ ASOIAF because it goes so hard against his religion...LOL

The Will thing was a reference to a comment he once made. It's not true:
https://www.reddit.c...th_that_george/

Fair bet some combination of Abraham and/or Franck would be tapped to do it, despite their denials (same link), because money.

#160 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2022 - 06:35 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 September 2022 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2022 - 05:15 PM, said:

The Will thing was a reference to a comment he once made. It's not true:
https://www.reddit.c...th_that_george/

Fair bet some combination of Abraham and/or Franck would be tapped to do it, despite their denials (same link), because money.

Huh. I've read it in so many places I assumed it was true. My bad.

I still think that TWOW will come out in the next few years, and with it out of his way, ADOS will come faster to him as I feel like TWOW has been his most challenging time on the series. Like I think this book has just been his writers block...he cooked out AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS in what? 6 years total? Then AFFC grew too big over the next 5 years, so he split it by POV and then started revising what becomes ADWD too much and it took further 6 years...now he's essentially writing the run-up to the finale....so he's perfecting it. I don't feel we would see the same wait for ADOS....but it DOES sound like he will palate-cleanse after TWOW and finish the second volume of FIRE & BLOOD before ADOS starts.

Also, the length sounds like it's north of 500k pages and as such I could see Bantam wanting to split it into Vol 1 and Vol 2 six months apart release-wise, and that gives him more time to work on F&B 2 and ADOS.

I think it's doable. I mean the guy is 74, but he's not dying or anything either, nor do I think there is anything medically wrong with him. He's a bit overweight, but stats are on his side there (People who start adulthood with a body mass index (BMI) in the normal range and move later in life to being overweight - but never obese - tend to live the longest, a new study suggests. Adults in this category lived longer than even those whose BMI stayed in the normal range throughout their life.) Young GRRM was on the normal side of his BMI and didn't gain weight until his later years.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users