Malazan Empire: The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread see note in first post for explanation Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   ChrisW 

• Da'tsang
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 January 2003 - 12:36 AM

Sorry guys I made a boo boo and kinda deleted the old messagesPosted Image. Saved the latest stuff though.Posted Image Well thats strange the thread came back. I'm seeing thingsPosted Image.

[This message was edited by Admin on 01 February 2003 at 05:09 AM.]

#142 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 June 2003 - 02:45 PM

hmmm I have a question... when will you answer our questions finally? Whit all due respect.
(this reminds me so much of Gesler and Coltaine Posted Image)

----------------------------------------
On - with the show - I'll top the bill, I'll overkill
I have to find the will to carry on
On with the -
On with the show -
The show must go on...
Rest In Peace, Marc-Vivien Foe

Crown of the Deck of Dragons
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#143 Guest_boots_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:08 AM

Mr Erikson,

Could you enlighten me more on the structure on the Malazan Army. Also, what is the Malazan Empire based on? There seems quite a strong Roman influence.

Thanks.

B

#144 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:37 PM

hmmmm it's a strange accident with that name, sir Erikson... few more questions...
1. am I just dumb or is there a language problem or are the Jhags a mix of Jaghuts and Tartheno-Toblakai?
2. is there any diffrence between Tartheno-Toblakai and Thelomen-Toblakai?
3. How did Icarium want to free Gothos while attacking Azath on Jhag Odhan? was Gothos stationed there in that time?
4. was/is Dassem immortal in a way? he was present at the chaining... and it seems from what Hood said that he is/was a very important person...
5. is the mortal plane also a warren of sort?
6. I want to add my voice to the beg for a glossary with some artwork... could you hire a painter/drawer/whoever to draw at least the main races (humans - Daru, Dal Honease, Falari, Seven Cities inhabbitants, Seguleh, Nathii, Elin - if you could compare these humans to some Earth peoples I would be VERY greatful, Barghast, Moranth, toblakai, Jaghut, T'lan Imass, Imass, Forkrul Assail, K'chain Che'malle, K'chain Nar'rhuk, Tiste Andii, Tiste Edur, Tiste Liosan....) and maybe some demons like Aptorian, Azalan, Ken'ryllah...
7. Have to ask it - what's the first word to come to your mind when you think about Poland?

I hope you will find some time to answer these questions... Hail SE!

I'm all alone - we're all alone
My future's unknown - our future's unknown
I reach out to the stars out here in my house on Mars
Ayreon - "My House on Mars"
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#145 Guest__*

Posted 13 July 2003 - 07:01 PM

Dear Mr. Erikson, you are my idol, you are my God and I only swear by you.
I would like to know: is any of your personages created based on the personality of someone you know in real life(a friend, a member in your family, etc)?
Your T'lan Imass are the most innovative and original Undead ever. How did you come up with them?

Finally, a personal question Posted Image Do your wife and children love your books?

Thank you very much and may you live and write forever and never have a writer block and make truckload of money.

----------------
If you think that there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.

#146 Guest_Riot_*

Posted 13 July 2003 - 05:31 AM

Thankyou Mr Erikson for taking some time to answer some of our questions...it's really fantastic that fans such as myself have the opportunity to hear from you personally and ask questions regarding the books of our favourite author.

Keep up the excellent work and i cant wait for the release of Midnight Tides!!! Posted Image

-----------------------------
"Playing your own songs is like having no clothes on." - Ed Vedder.

#147 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 July 2003 - 12:01 AM

can we post new questions here?

On - with the show - I'll top the bill, I'll overkill
I have to find the will to carry on
On with the -
On with the show -
The show must go on...
Rest In Peace, Marc-Vivien Foe

#148 Guest_Niko III_*

Posted 29 August 2003 - 10:55 AM

Dear mr. Erikson

Will there be a 'Deck of dragons' card-game
forthcoming?
Or some kind of PC/RPG game?
You could, f.e. make an expansion pack to 'Medieval:total war' or some other strategy/adventure game with the maps and armies from the books.
Just hoping.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

"Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."

#149 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2003 - 06:55 AM

yes, and i would like to take the chance to say that we didn't cheat when we voted for you, despite the unfounded accustations of the webmaster of that site...

The Younger Gods have no power here. K'rul, go home little boy.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#150 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 09 February 2003 - 01:21 AM

In GotM it mentions that Dragnipur is 6 and a half feet long.

Dunno if that holds any relivance to your conversation...

----------------------------------------------
Wake him not.

#151 User is offline   Anomander Rake 

• First Sword

Posted 07 August 2002 - 10:51 AM

Posted - 16/10/2001

Hey's guys, I got the reply from Steven Erikson and here it is:

Date: 16/10/2001
Hello one and all. It's been about a month since I last looked in on your site. Four hours later and my head's spinning. First off, thank you one and all for your comments and your interest. Apologies for the delay in the release of Memories of Ice -- it's all my fault, alas. The ms. turned out to be the longest yet.

As much as I'd lilke to respond at length to all your questions, I can't. I'm about 150 pages in the fourth book and once I get in this zone I don't really come back out until the thing's done and dusted. Nonetheless, I'll prattle on here and now for a while and hopefully cover a few things that might be of interest.

Um, where to start. First off, regards the maps, yes, Tulips was placed on the wrong side of the continent. Somewhere between my original map and the final copy things got mixed up and, mea cupla, went unnoticed until my friendly German translator queried it. By way of correction, the map in MOI has the name removed.

Your collective speculations are terrifying. Talk about making sure I stay on my toes! There's no doubt in my mind that writers should pay attention to what his or her readers are saying, and to take note of where confusion occurs and to make adjustments as needed. Even so, your diligence is damned intimidating, and I should add, don't stop! While I can't maintain a steady, regular presence on your site, I do indeed check it out when I can, and I'll try to drop in every month or so, time permitting. One of the dangers (for me) is that I end up using this forum to explain things I should be explaining in the novels -- in writing the books I have to proceed on the assumption that the reader knows only what's in them. That way I avoid more dangerous assumptions; the risk is I might start getting lazy, or I might end up mixing things up, and I don't want to do that. So, please, don't swamp me with questions! If something's already present in the published novels, and it's been collectively missed, I may fire an arrow in its direction (I've done that only once before and will likely maintain that ROF).

One other thing -- your speculations have been terrific, since they give me an idea of what events/scenes/characters had resonance for you. At the same time, I get a sense of which themes and subplots have pushed their way to the forefront, and that's done much to keep my radar sharp. So, thanks much.

Okay, post this as a topic and I'll take on the first wave of questions and respond within the next couple days.

Cheers,
S.E.

ps. tried posting the above myself but could find no way of doing so. I'm obviously missing something obvious, since even when I sought to 'reply' there seemed to be no way to 'send.' Am I thick or what?

Guys and Girls, please do not put any replies here if not asking a sensible question. Thanks

------------------
Posted Image Hood's Breath

#152 Guest_fortrip_*

Posted 20 July 2003 - 05:29 AM

thanks for that dros, that was helpful liked the deconstruction idea, might give it a go.

Shes been crying
and ive been thinking
and if your the queen of this town
then i am the king of the rain

#153 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:56 AM

@Orfantal
Did he say that in MoI? i havn't read that one for ages, so cantremember individual conversations like that...

Bow before thy master, the warlord of irregulars.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#154 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:06 PM

yes... a question about Hood... he seems to be a Jaghut, or at least a member of a Founding Race... have me met him already with an another name? or should I shut up now and wait for the further books?

Hasta la victoria siempre!

#155 Guest_Andy_*

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:51 PM

SE

Thank you

#156 User is offline   Monok 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 August 2003 - 11:11 AM

@Gothos: The Teblor gods and the Whirlwind goddess are Imass.

--------------------------------
"Let he that hath understanding count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man, and his number is six hundred, three score and six."
-Revelation, Chapter 13, verse 18

#157 Guest__*

Posted 29 January 2003 - 01:44 AM

quote:
Apsalar most certainly will return. Lady Atheilen, how old are you again? You write better than fellow students of mine at the Iowa Writers' Workshop. UVic has a very good writing program btw....

UVic? Huh. I live in Victoria. Never considered a writing course myself, I just write. But I do other stuff too, I swear! Posted Image

If you ever do get a game deal going, drop me a line. By trade I'm an animator/artist. Would love to do some Malazan game-concept art.

Thanks for responding, Mr. E.

You rock.

I used to be Historian on this board, btw. But I forgot my old password, and my old email account is now defunct so I couldn't request it again. So Sty Irregular it is(although I'm not entirely sure who that is yet).

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

#158 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 January 2003 - 01:40 PM

Once again, this proves why I love this site! Thanks for all your work Steve. I can't wait for Midnight Tides!

"You a bounty hunter?"
"A man's gotta do something to make a living these days."
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

#159 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 06 February 2003 - 09:10 AM

about MT.
is it really a totally unmentioned continent, or is it one of the continents mentioned at the back of GotM, under he Malazan empire, and where they have made inroads?

Bow before thy master, the warlord of irregulars.

#160 Guest_Coco_*

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:36 AM

@ xanrn - actually, he says that they are 30 inches long - approximately 75 centimetres (if i remember my metric conversion tables correctly)

as to Mr. E, I would like to add my voice to the others regarding a bestiary type thing. I would ask (plead?) that if such an item were done, it sticks to generics, rather than illustrating specific characters - it sometimes seems a bit of a letdown comparing pictures to what you imagine in your head.

Oh, and a question - is the chain of dogs based on Napoleon's retreat from Russia in the winter, or am I reading too much into the "book of the fallen" connection?

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users