Malazan Empire: Eight Books not Seven? - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

Eight Books not Seven? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

Well, this kind of reaffirms my decision to just wait until the series is done before picking it up again. I'd have to re-read the entire series to remember a thing about it at this point (read Feast at release, haven't read any of them since) and I don't really fancy doing that every single time a new one comes out.

#22 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

View PostWerthead, on 18 July 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

Now that I've read ADWD, I can say this: you're deluding yourself if you think Martin accomplishes what he wants in less than eight books. Not unless the dragons grow to continent size and start eating accordingly.

As pointed out, GRRM did move some characters significantly further on in a small timeframe in ADWD, but fell into problems with too many Dany chapters that did little to push things dynamically forward. If he can overcome that, I can see him getting done in 7.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#23 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

PoV list at the end of aDwD (I knicked this off a guy on gamefaqs, so it could be missing a few I've also forgot, but it's largely accurate I think).
Spoiler

Speculation which obviously spoils DwD:

Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#24 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 July 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

PoV list at the end of aDwD (I knicked this off a guy on gamefaqs, so it could be missing a few I've also forgot, but it's largely accurate I think).
Spoiler

Speculation which obviously spoils DwD:

Spoiler

I don't disagree, but
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 25 July 2011 - 02:30 PM
Reason for edit: to conceal spoilers

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#25 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

So, Jordan startsd with 3/4 and ends up with 14, after his unfortunate and untimely passing.

Martin says 7, yet seasoned pundits are calling 8, and the man himself "knows the end but not how to get there".

Is ADWD small snowflakes of relevance amid a blizzard of details and shit?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Yes!

#27 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

View PostCause, on 25 July 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yes!

Do we have any advance on 8? ... 9? I see 9 ... do we have 10? 10 it is sir! ... any more bids ... ?

<_<

This post has been edited by Sombra: 25 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, Dance didn't seem to get to the plot reolutions required (Mereen, North, Others) required for this series to finish in 2 books. I'd say at least 3 books, if not 4. The Winds of Winter next, something about Night ("The Still of Night"?? ;p) then perhaps A Dream of Spring.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Paran: 27 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#29 User is offline   MecnunK 

• 5324th Seguleh and climbing

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:13 AM

My bet on is on, A memory of Spring being the 9th & the final chapter.

#30 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Behold!

Posted Image

#31 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

As long as he actually can finish the series before he himself kicks the bucket, I don't care how many books it is.
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#32 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I hope he writes 20, and I don't care how long it takes. But I'm sure I'll change my tune once I catch up. I stopped reading ACoK to wait for the Tor reread to catch up...and after what seemed like ages, I checked back to find that they had progressed a laughable 9% further into the book. ;)

Oh well. I'm just going to continue reading until I'm caught up and then wait impatiently with the rest of you.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#33 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Is anyone else curious about how long it takes this planet to go around it sun? I mean Summer lasted for a decade or more and winter is suppose to last for at least that long. For the planet to go around its sun might be 60+ years.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#34 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostVengeance, on 26 July 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Is anyone else curious about how long it takes this planet to go around it sun? I mean Summer lasted for a decade or more and winter is suppose to last for at least that long. For the planet to go around its sun might be 60+ years.

It's not actually the distance between sun and planet that gives us our winter/summer. It's which parts of the earth face the sun (the earth's tilt).

Thus the tilt of Martin's planet is really weird. It spins regularly enough to have a day and night that seem somewhat normal, they have years (trips around the sun) and they have mini-seasons within WINTER and SUMMER apparently. It's really interesting to think about in terms of astronomy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#35 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 July 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 26 July 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

It's not actually the distance between sun and planet that gives us our winter/summer. It's which parts of the earth face the sun (the earth's tilt).

Thus the tilt of Martin's planet is really weird. It spins regularly enough to have a day and night that seem somewhat normal, they have years (trips around the sun) and they have mini-seasons within WINTER and SUMMER apparently. It's really interesting to think about in terms of astronomy.

Actually I do believe there's an interview out there somewhere where GRRM indicates that the seasons of his world are not natural and are out of whack because of something supernatural (presumably a spell, some kind of magic, etc) that happened long ago. I'm not 100% on that but I definitely either read it or dreamed that I read it. Wert would know for sure, I bet.

EDIT: This is not the interview I was referring to, as I definitely think he said it explicitly somewhere, but he alludes to the same idea here:

The most conspicuous aspect of the world of Westeros in The Song of Ice and Fire is the nature of the seasons, the long and random nature of the seasons. I have gotten a number of fan letters over the years from readers who are trying to figure out the reason for why the seasons are the way they are. They develop lengthy theories: perhaps it’s a multiple-star system, and what the axial tilt is, but I have to say, “Nice try, guys, but you’re thinking in the wrong direction.” This is a fantasy series. I am going to explain it all eventually, but it’s going to be a fantasy explanation. It’s not going to be a science-fiction explanation.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 26 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#36 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Yup, it's magic. Wizards did it.

In fact, based on some of GRRM's prior comments, it does sound like the world had 'normal' seasons up until the Long Night 8000 years ago and the invasion of the Others. Though the Others were defeated, the seasons were left permanently unbalanced. My theory is that the war between the Great Other and R'hllor (or rather their followers) results in the seasons: when R'hllor is 'winning', we get long hot seasons and when the Others are in ascendence, we get long cold seasons. Something will presumably have to be done to bring balance to the For...er, seasons, before the end of the series.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 30 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#37 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

We know You've come to inherit what's Yours...The Mansion
Take our advise and go back on this night
If you refuse 7 will become 8...Oh No"
Oh 7 is 8

#38 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 20 July 2011 - 01:39 AM, said:

Well, this kind of reaffirms my decision to just wait until the series is done before picking it up again. I'd have to re-read the entire series to remember a thing about it at this point (read Feast at release, haven't read any of them since) and I don't really fancy doing that every single time a new one comes out.
I agree with this completely! I have no memory retention at all anymore. I've not read past book 3 of this series because it was obvious it was just getting going. I learned that lesson from Jordan; doing a re-read after every new book or so. When WoT got to book 9 and still wasn't close to wrapping up, I stopped reading it till I knew the final book was coming. What sucks about ASoIF is that the HBO show will delve into material I haven't read yet and I'd much prefer to read the books first. My wife will not be happy if I refuse to watch future seasons because the books haven't even been written! The first 3 books of this series are the only fantasy I've ever managed to get her to read and that's only because the show was coming out. This issue is also a big reason I was happy to try MBotF; the series is complete! Well, for the most part, right?!

#39 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 26 August 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 20 July 2011 - 01:39 AM, said:

I agree with this completely! I have no memory retention at all anymore. I've not read past book 3 of this series because it was obvious it was just getting going. I learned that lesson from Jordan; doing a re-read after every new book or so. When WoT got to book 9 and still wasn't close to wrapping up, I stopped reading it till I knew the final book was coming. What sucks about ASoIF is that the HBO show will delve into material I haven't read yet and I'd much prefer to read the books first. My wife will not be happy if I refuse to watch future seasons because the books haven't even been written! The first 3 books of this series are the only fantasy I've ever managed to get her to read and that's only because the show was coming out. This issue is also a big reason I was happy to try MBotF; the series is complete! Well, for the most part, right?!

The ten books tell one complete story, yes. You don't have to read ICE's books to get to a satisfying ending, it's more about filling in the details if you're so inclined. The Tiste trilogy is its own thing, though you can expect some revelations, or at least some details being filled in from the main MBOTF series.
Be Your Own Hero

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

What a sick joke.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users