Malazan Empire: Richard Morgan - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Richard Morgan Takeshi Kovacs books (mostly)

#61 User is offline   doolally2au 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:29 AM

Posted Image Damn it, I'm still waiting for my copy of Altered Carbon. My bookseller said there was a delay because is was being reprinted with a different style of cover - less sci-fi and more detective or something stupid like that. He has had to reorder it for me from somewhere else.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly

#62 Guest_FizbansTalking_Hat_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

Well I finished Altered Carbon & Broken Angels last month and wow, they blew my mind away.

It's like this rogue kickass psychotic marine who goes vigilante in a blade runner like world. Amazing and Takashi Kovachs is one of the coolest characters I've ever read.

I'm taking a break from his world, and will return to Market Forces & Woken Furies.

I am loving the whole concept of resleeving and its just a fun world. But it'll be interesting to read Market Forces cuz its not a Takashi Kovach story, just set in the same world, cheers.

#63 Guest_FizbansTalking_Hat_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:17 AM

You're right Drinks. I just read an interview where he explained why it was published later than the other but I need a break from Morgan. You can read too much of the same series sometimes too fast and for some authors it burns you out, its not necessarily for all series, some you can just fly right through and love every second but I read Carbon and Angels back to back, so I need some time, reading all of MAlazan before I touch those again, cheers.

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:37 AM

Finished. Damn good book. Arguably not as brilliantly novel as AC and BA, but still a great read and worth reading if one enjoyed the first two.

I did get a sense of conclusion to it, and I wonder whether there will be any more Kovacs books. Certainly this one was more about his life and personality than the other two Kovacs stories.

I'd recommend it as a companion read to the other two - a few fundamental points would be lost in a solo read. Fun tho'.

My favourite bits, SPOILER PROTECTED...

- The whole surfer mentality thing, in a wordl with three moons and unreal tides;

- The deCom culture, and how it tied back to BA

-The final confrontation with the resleeve;

-I was fairly sure Aiura was going to turn out to be a Viadura resleeve, but he skipped the obvious as he often does;

- The ultimate reveal of what the Orbitals do was a great, great twist;

- Abyss, wants a dorsal vented onboard plasma discharge biosystem that works with beer.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:51 AM

Damn you all. Woken Furies won't show up in the US until September at the latest.

And now, to go totally off topic, I am reading Memories of Ice. Again, not released in the US so I had to get the mass market paperback from Amazon.ca. Sweet mother of God, the thing is huge. 1100 effing pages! I can barely hold it in my hands. What the hades was in Bantam's mind when they chose the font size in this thing?
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#66 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:02 AM

Not particularly impressed with "Market Forces". It reads okay but it doesn't have that je ne sais quoi.

---------------
Lying in the gutter.
Looking at the stars.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#67 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:23 AM

Any info on what's next for Morgan? I hope he really focuses on the Alien question next time.

BM

#68 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:35 AM

Sounds interesting. Lets hope it's up to his usual standard.

----------------
"All we have to worry about now are the Rodents of Unusual Size, but I think they're a myth..."
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#69 Guest_Edge_*

Posted 27 November 2003 - 11:15 AM

Just finished reading Altered Carbon and I have to say it's an absolute cracker. Great story, interesting characters and a nicely twisting plot.

How many Robert Jordans does it take to change a light bulb?

#70 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:23 AM

'Altered Carbon' is one of the most stunningly nasty books I've read in a very long time. I mean that in a good way. The way it deals with the consequences of functional immortality ie The complete lack of respect and commoditisation (Is that a real word? Posted Image ) of indivudual life that results. It does what all good SF should do: it takes an idea (quite a few of them, in fact) and takes it to it's logical (and in this case, awful) conclusion.

'Broken Angels', I feel, is a slightly weaker book. To some extent, I think that's because I was slightly prepared for it, having read it's predecessor I had some idea of what to expect from it, and therefore wasn't as shocked at the offhanded cruelty and casual diregard for life displayed by the protagonists. What did surprise me was the change of focus. Morgan has, rather sneakily IMO, expanded his universe whilst distracting the reader with a decent story. He's definately one to watch.

A note for you bibliophiles: 1st print hardbacks of 'Altered Carbon' have been, according to a book dealer friend of mine, rocketing in value. I was told the same thing about Peter Hamilton's 'The Reality Disfunction', so I expect it's just a flash-in-the-pan/fashion thing.

----------------
Funny how?

#71 Guest_DrBloodmoney1_*

Posted 10 October 2003 - 09:25 AM

Altered Carbon is the only one I've read thus far (being in the states) but I loved it. I am really looking forward to Broken Angels.

DrB

#72 Guest_Drake Labatt_*

Posted 14 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

I'll keep it quick - Altered Carbon kicked ass. Probably the best book I've read this year!

======
Living on a lighted stage, approaches the unreal,
for those who think and feel, in touch with some reality beyond the gilded
cage.

Rush - "Limelight"

#73 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:38 AM

Market Forces comes out in March.

Just finished Broken Angels. The title perhaps refers to an aspect that is a little bit of a twist.

I enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed Altered Carbon - but then again I dig hard-boiled more than I dig military fiction.

Kovacs is a brilliant character - and the dialogue had me chuckling some very dark humours

Criticism is prejudice made plausible
My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists.

mTh

#74 Guest_neal_*

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:30 AM

Very much enjoyed 'Altered Carbon'. It's the kind of book that leaves you out of breath by the time you've finished it. Will definitely be getting hold of Broken Angels when comes out in paperback.

http://freespace.virgin.net/n.asher
www.toruk.com

#75 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 25 November 2003 - 01:15 PM

@SL.Enjoy.

Review of Rich Morgans latest book, "Market Forces".

http://www.infinityp...arketforces.htm

a small pogrom.

#76 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:43 AM

i haven't read him, though have been meaning to.

heres a previous topic on him: http://www.malazan.com/groupee/forums?a=tp...91&m=3476066472 Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you Possible?
China Miéville Forum

#77 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:00 AM

i really enjoyed the ending, i thought the whole book was much more complete character wise than the others dealing specifcally with takeshi's motivations, i felt the ending brought him full circle in some ways and left the character deeper and more rounded for it while not taking aways his psychosis.

plus we finally met VV, which made the book for mePosted Image

#78 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

Has there really not been a single post in here for 4 years?!?!?!
Victory is mine!

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

View PostFist Gamet, on 08 September 2009 - 03:59 PM, said:

Has there really not been a single post in here for 4 years?!?!?!

This particular thread was one i dug up from the bottom of the Other Lit forum when i made the RM subforum. There are many other more recent posts in other threads discussing the Kovacs books, but they were scattered.

So...

Anyone reread the Kovacs books lately?

:)

- Abyss, was sad that Jimi Hendrix only appeared in the first one.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#80 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

No, but I plan to in the next year or so. It's been a while since I read AC but I loved it.

Cheers, Abyss.

- Gamet, stealing nuances.
Victory is mine!

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users